Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

1st Gas Car Purchase: Wenmac 57 Chevy Cox_ba12

1st Gas Car Purchase: Wenmac 57 Chevy Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by gkamysz Today at 2:59 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Today at 2:51 pm

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by Cox International Today at 2:48 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Today at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 2:01 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:32 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 11:52 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:12 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by rdw777 Today at 8:06 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

1st Gas Car Purchase: Wenmac 57 Chevy Empty
Live on Patrol

1st Gas Car Purchase: Wenmac 57 Chevy

Go down

1st Gas Car Purchase: Wenmac 57 Chevy Empty 1st Gas Car Purchase: Wenmac 57 Chevy

Post  jrblanke Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:28 am

Good afternoon everyone, 1st post here on the forum.
This past weekend I was at a toy show selling some hot wheels and matchbox and ran across a Wenmac 57 chevy. I loved it’s 60s gasser style, and period parts like the steering wheel and mag wheels, so I impulse bought it. The wheels are locked up but over all it doesn’t look too bad, and I am pretty confident I can get it freed up. Not sure how far I’ll get into this hobby, but I do want to get it running and see how it works.

This is my first gas car, so I have a few basic questions.
1. From what I can tell, there were 3 makers of gas powered toys. AMF Wenmac, Testors, and Cox. I can’t find much info on Wenmacs, but I would like to know what year this 57 chevy was made.
2. Is this a tether car? Or was it meant to light off and tear across a parking lot until it ran into the grass on the other side?
3. How do I know what size motor this is? Is it the “.049” that I keep seeing? I am assuming that is the displacement of the combustion chamber.
4. How do I charge the glow plug? From videos Ive seen, it appears that folks have some kind of battery pack and a couple wires. What batteries do I use?
5. Where do I get fuel, and what fuel should I use?
6. Any information on how to get it running? I was planning to just disassemble and clean everything. Then reassemble, fuel, charge, and spin the wheels to start it up.

Thank you for the read!
jrblanke
jrblanke

Back to top Go down

1st Gas Car Purchase: Wenmac 57 Chevy Empty Re: 1st Gas Car Purchase: Wenmac 57 Chevy

Post  cstatman Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:56 am

James,

good to see ya here. There are quite a few WenMac experts, as well as some amazing restoration guys.

Since you are brand sparkling new, the forum won't let you post pix yet. To make it easier, I copied pix from the FB group and am putting here. What a cool car! Cannot wait to see your resto job.

1st Gas Car Purchase: Wenmac 57 Chevy 110

1st Gas Car Purchase: Wenmac 57 Chevy 210
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

1st Gas Car Purchase: Wenmac 57 Chevy Empty Re: 1st Gas Car Purchase: Wenmac 57 Chevy

Post  Marleysky Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:13 pm

[quote="jrblanke"]Good afternoon everyone, 1st post here on the forum.
This past weekend I was at a toy show selling some hot wheels and matchbox and ran across a Wenmac 57 chevy. I loved it’s 60s gasser style, and period parts like the steering wheel and mag wheels, so I impulse bought it.  The wheels are locked up but over all it doesn’t look too bad, and I am pretty confident I can get it freed up. Not sure how far I’ll get into this hobby, but I do want to get it running and see how it works.

This is my first gas car, so I have a few basic questions.
1. From what I can tell, there were 3 makers of gas powered toys.  Wenmac to AMF to Testors, and Cox. I can’t find much info on Wenmacs, but I would like to know what year this 57 chevy was made. WenMac to AMF to Testors  they are one of the same. Changed name as it was bought-out or sold. Cox is kinda the story but hung on to the Cox name thru out the Corporate changes Estes..Leisure Dynamics etc. From the style of the engine I'd guess it was a "AMF" model...should be on side of crankcase.

2nd thought...it could be a Tether Car with a adaptor!! Go Bob!!
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t14068-wen-mac-tether-car-with-speed-control

heres one: https://www.coxengineforum.com/t12971-3-b-gs-57-wen-mac

2. Is this a tether car? Or was it meant to light off and tear across a parking lot until it ran into the grass on the other side? I'm guessing it was a Drag car, set for straight line runs. Free running is why they are so rare!!  https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/45593412_wen-mac-drag-n-fly-special-57-chevy-wbox  
Here's one dated 1964: https://www.oldmodelkits.com/index.php?detail=19572&newlist=1

3. How do I know what size motor this is? Is it the “.049” that I keep seeing? I am assuming that is the displacement of the combustion chamber. Yeah, it's a 049 should be cast on the side of the crankcase.
4. How do I charge the glow plug? From videos Ive seen, it appears that folks have some kind of battery pack and a couple wires. What batteries do I use?one and one half volt ONLY! 1 1/2V  anything more than that will burn out the glow coil. "C' cells or "D" cells are readly available
5. Where do I get fuel, and what fuel should I use? The picture shows a Cox fuel can in the background,
any fuel in it? otherwise SIG Mfg or Fitz Fuels offer the correct Nitro to Castor oil blend for 1/2A engines

6. Any information on how to get it running? I was planning to just disassemble and clean everything. Then reassemble, fuel, charge, and spin the wheels to start it up. OH YEAH! Go for it. BUT be carefull some of the plastic parts can become brittle and break. The engine is fairly easy to clean and disassemble. But do the least amount to get it moving...DO NOT...I repeat DO NOT attempt to turn the drive wheels or spin the engine over with out first "UN-sticking the piston...or you will break the connecting rod or pull it out of the bottom of the piston
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7371-wen-mac-mkii-049

WELCOME TO THE FORUM..

Last edited by Marleysky on Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:31 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : mote info! MMore info)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:52 pm

Nice summary Rene, ya we had frustrating fun that day virus or not. Mark showed me his videos. Putt Putt Maru compared with the Cox Mercedes. Neither one of us do youtube.

Welcome to the forum JR
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:48 am

Welcome to the CEF Jr. !! Nice looking 57 , nothing like the first Nitro powered model ! Fishing Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  jrblanke Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:52 pm

Guys, thanks so much for the kind welcome and great information!

As far as charging with a D battery, is there a holder for the battery with some wires attached? Or do yall just tape some wires to a battery. What is the ratio of caster oil to nitro fuel?

I haven't spent much time on this forum yet. I plan to do some research tonight. I'm sure my questions are common.
jrblanke
jrblanke

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:10 pm

oh,, you need Bernie.

Don't worry, you wont get hooked kid.... Smile Smile

i HIGHLY recommend this battery box. awesome - and with clip
https://coxengines.ca/field-gear/cox-starter-battery-box-with-clip.html

nope, nope --- dont look at his other motors for sale --- dont do it.... don't get bit by the collector-bug!!!
https://coxengines.ca/oem-cox-boxed-engines/

for fuel, I am a HUGE fan of Sig - 1pint of 35% is a great place to start
https://sigmfg.com/collections/fuel/products/sig-champion-fuel?variant=380738928649

Have you read any of the forum articles on how to clean engines??? so much good info.
this is a particularly brilliant thread - anything that RSV Bob does. is pretty much awesomme and worth copying

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t16534-the-r-c-bee-new-to-me-and-questions
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:18 pm

"anything that RSV Bob does. is pretty much awesomme and worth copying"

Thanks Charles.  I'll see if I can arrainge for Elon to send you a new Tesla.  Smile Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:04 pm

rsv1cox wrote:"anything that RSV Bob does. is pretty much awesome and worth copying"

Thanks Charles.  I'll see if I can arrange for Elon to send you a new Tesla. Smile Smile
Gee, I dunno, Bob. After researching the price of replacing an EV battery pack, which are very costly, and we've seen what RC lipo's can do, fire-safes seem to be high on the recommendations when charging, I'm not sure I want to sit on something that can't tolerate water, doesn't do well in accidents, and doesn't leave much time to escape if the pack does want to blow while driving down the road.

GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:34 am

It's called "Progress" George in todays progressive world.  Sad Still, the guy is making big bucks off them (and other endeavors).
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:02 am

rsv1cox wrote:It's called "Progress" George in todays progressive world.  Sad  Still, the guy is making big bucks off them (and other endeavors).  
Bob, yup, you hit the nail on the head there.  Two Cents It certainly seems that we've regressed to the dark ages of antiquity, given the CEO's (princes) seem to rule this world in spite of our so called national self governance. (George Carlin was right. Sad ) It is why I am purchasing books to read, getting off the technology, gone back to using my printed Bible and manual scripture memory cards instead of apps, cancelled my accounting to fakebuck a year ago.

Even am doing a few minor repairs to my motorcycle trailer now. It is large enough with a car top box on it to carry models to the field safely. Here in NM, only cost me $54 or so for title, registration and permanent plate. (Old photo attached.)

1st Gas Car Purchase: Wenmac 57 Chevy Hf_tra10
It is a quiet way to have fun, although, loud pipes save lives.  lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:19 am

jrblanke wrote:Good afternoon everyone, 1st post here on the forum.
Welcome to the forum, @jrblanke ! New posters get photo op privileges after a 5 day wait. (Admin did to minimize spammers.)

jrblanke wrote:This is my first gas car, so I have a few basic questions.
1. From what I can tell, there were 3 makers of gas powered toys. AMF Wenmac, Testors, and Cox. I can’t find much info on Wenmacs, but I would like to know what year this 57 chevy was made.
Can't tell you because I don't keep up, but my brother had one as a gift, Christmas 1966.

jrblanke wrote:2. Is this a tether car? Or was it meant to light off and tear across a parking lot until it ran into the grass on the other side?
My brother's came with a roughly 10 inch long rod of about 1/8" music wire, attached to bottom of metal chassis, had a loop at the end for tether line out the left (driver) side, I believe.

jrblanke wrote:3. How do I know what size motor this is? Is it the “.049” that I keep seeing? I am assuming that is the displacement of the combustion chamber.
It used a Wen-Mac (later Testors) .049 Hot Shot .049 engine.

http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Wen%20Mac%20.049%20Hot%20Shot%20%282%29.html

Rest of your questions, others covered the care and feeding of the engine. Basically starting it up is no different than a Cox engine. You'll need to be careful on disassembly, because the Wen-Mac is not as straight forward as other engines, due to it unique construction, especially the Rotomatic starter. Bob has had good luck with his clean up methods without a full disassembly, which is preferred.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:18 am

RSVBob - no thanks on the tesler,  Very Happy
electrics are cool and all, but I am a simple man, of simple means, ... my old honda minivan runs just fine, is paid off, and can drive cross country without much planning.

Just 'restored' a vintage ViewMaster box, with cellophane, tapes, irons, etc.   cause SOMEONE here inspired me to restore old boxes  Smile

if I could only get that guy excited about these wen-macs sitting under my bench getting dirtier....
cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:26 am

cstatman wrote:RSVBob - no thanks on the tesler,  Very Happy
electrics are cool and all, but I am a simple man, of simple means, ... my old honda minivan runs just fine, is paid off, and can drive cross country without much planning.

Just 'restored' a vintage ViewMaster box, with cellophane, tapes, irons, etc.   cause SOMEONE here inspired me to restore old boxes  Smile

if I could only get that guy excited about these wen-macs sitting under my bench getting dirtier....

"anything that RSV Bob does. is pretty much awesomme and worth copying"

Thanks Charles.  I'll see if I can arrainge for Ferdinand to send you a new Porsche.  Double Smile Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  jrblanke Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:59 pm

Great replies guys. I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Not much of an update. I did remove the head and I soaked the piston in brake cleaner thinking that would loosen whatever gunk is holding the piston in place. I was unsuccessful. I did a quick search on here and saw that some folks clean with coleman fuel. I may try some mineral spirits or paint thinner. I was planning to just drop the whole engine into a tube of the stuff, and let it soak. I want to take it apart but am afraid I will damage it if I take it apart.

jrblanke
jrblanke

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:24 pm

jrblanke wrote:Great replies guys. I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Not much of an update. I did remove the head and I soaked the piston in brake cleaner thinking that would loosen whatever gunk is holding the piston in place. I was unsuccessful. I did a quick search on here and saw that some folks clean with coleman fuel. I may try some mineral spirits or paint thinner. I was planning to just drop the whole engine into a tube of the stuff, and let it soak. I want to take it apart but am afraid I will damage it if I take it apart.

91% alcohol works well, not the best but most convenient. Overnight soak, toothbrush, heat.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down