Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Blum und Voss BV P-170 experimental 3 engine bomber Cox_ba12

Blum und Voss BV P-170 experimental 3 engine bomber Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 6:10 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 5:42 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by MauricioB Today at 4:50 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I break for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Blum und Voss BV P-170 experimental 3 engine bomber Empty
Live on Patrol

Blum und Voss BV P-170 experimental 3 engine bomber

Go down

Blum und Voss BV P-170 experimental 3 engine bomber Empty Blum und Voss BV P-170 experimental 3 engine bomber

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:50 pm

Seeing how that CEF seems to have a pension for the unusual Smile to downright scary Shocked model aircraft, I think the following C/L tri-engine bomber would be in keeping with the tradition. Very Happy

Outerzone Plan# 14046: 59in Profile BV-170 by Terry Aldrich, Feb 1972 AAM

Blum und Voss BV P-170 experimental 3 engine bomber 1404610

Blum und Voss BV P-170 experimental 3 engine bomber 1404611

This would really be a neat project for .049 power if scaled down. Popcorn This Site Rocks!

Either as R/C or C/L, in flight would send shivers down the spine of any modeling addict.
(¡Lo será tan espeluznante! (It will be very creepy!) lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Blum und Voss BV P-170 experimental 3 engine bomber Empty Re: Blum und Voss BV P-170 experimental 3 engine bomber

Post  andrew Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:39 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Seeing how that CEF seems to have a pension for the unusual Smile to downright scary Shocked model aircraft, I think the following C/L tri-engine bomber would be in keeping with the tradition. Very Happy

I saw that today and thought it could be a pain getting all three engines running and tuned, plus the tanks would need to be topped off before flying. I suppose, depending on which outside engine quit first, it would either crab around the circle pointed to the outside or come barreling in scaring the bejesus out of whomever was flying it.

I think I would prefer to watch rather than stand in the circle -- I would hate my obituary to read, "Old man apparently died of fright while being chased by a toy airplane!"
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Blum und Voss BV P-170 experimental 3 engine bomber Empty Re: Blum und Voss BV P-170 experimental 3 engine bomber

Post  getback Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:59 am

Very Happy  that's one uguly plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:05 am

Andrew I can truthfully say that flying my twin engined .049 (both Cox Golden Bees and Black Widows) scratch built P-38 was the most exciting and rewarding C/L flying experience of my life.  My most flown C/L airplane.  

Starting was no problem, flying also - I just topped off the inner engine before launching.  But really it made no difference, many times my inner engine gave out first.  

50+ years old and still flying........sorta.  But, I know I could take it down, fire up those Black Widows (I think - could be Golden Bees) and fly it again.

Blum und Voss BV P-170 experimental 3 engine bomber P1014000

Think Ken and Son flys one also.  Jim a twin Mosquito.  Try it.  Yes - exciting.  Yet to have all three running on my tri-motor though.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:54 am

Bob, I think what Andrew was referring to is the torque amplification by moving the engines to the wingtips. Usually, the engines are mounted as close as possible to the fuselage, to minimize effects of torque. Feet away from fuselage center line times thrust in pounds gives you foot-pounds (ft-lbs) or in modelling sense, inch-ounces (in-oz). You triple that distance, then it is 3 times as strong.

With all engines running, the left and right outboard engines cancel each other out if they are at or near the same RPM. Lose an engine, then this is where the concern comes in.

You are right though, you have both engines run out of fuel first starting with the outboard, then inboard, finish with the central engine.

However, if one engine by happen-chance quits prematurely, this is where the concern comes in.

I suppose one could simplify things by putting two weaker engines outboard, say 2 Pee Wee's or Babe Bee's, and a larger / stronger say Tee Dee in the middle. Prop accordingly for outboard weaker thrust.

I wonder if this particular plane was intended for propaganda purposes. Since Allies apparently never heard of it, I suppose not, just some thinking out of the box.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:05 pm

Agreed George, but my comments were just general regarding my experiences with multi engined models.

Flying the pictured tri-motor would be rather hairy.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:52 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Flying the pictured tri-motor would be rather hairy.
However, observing the "need for speed" crowd here, Smile It appears that anything that raises the question of being "hairy" is enough of a challenge to give it a shot. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:12 pm

andrew wrote:
I saw that today and thought it could be a pain getting all three engines running and tuned, plus the tanks would need to be topped off before flying.  I suppose, depending on which outside engine quit first, it would either crab around the circle pointed to the outside or come barreling in scaring the bejesus out of whomever was flying it.

I think I would prefer to watch rather than stand in the circle -- I would hate my obituary to read, "Old man apparently died of fright while being chased by a toy airplane!"

The trick to three at the same time is making sure you have your three most reliable engines. You want to use Tee Dees running on bladder pressure so you don’t have any fuel delivery problems. Start the outboard first so it runs out first.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t8882-headed-to-tucson?highlight=Tucson
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:42 pm

Jim, you have a point there. BTW, you missed the following post, because it was posted a couple days ago and other threads have since bumped it down:

CEF: Happy Birthday jpvelo/Jim Roselle

Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down