Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Patrick Ulmer's  RC DELTA DESIGN..."THE BLINK" Cox_ba12

Patrick Ulmer's  RC DELTA DESIGN..."THE BLINK" Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 10:11 am

» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Patrick Ulmer's  RC DELTA DESIGN..."THE BLINK" Empty
Live on Patrol

Patrick Ulmer's RC DELTA DESIGN..."THE BLINK"

Go down

Patrick Ulmer's  RC DELTA DESIGN..."THE BLINK" Empty Patrick Ulmer's RC DELTA DESIGN..."THE BLINK"

Post  TD ABUSER Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:01 pm

Patrick Ulmer [ptulmer] was a regular contributor of scratch built 1/2A designs at rcu.
His sportiest design was a 16 inch span 2 channel delta he named "THE BLINK"
I forget the details of the build..but IIRC it had 3 ribs per wing panel and a very small diameter carbon rod [or tube] that passed through the ribs as the main spar.
At first glance I thought it would be too small to be  easy  to see and fly..but with a low powered reedie and limited throws on the elevons it is pretty manageable.
Here is a look at a couple Blinks  I built for the .061 Cyclon.
Good flying planes but pay attention to the LATERAL BALANCE before you think the plane is ready for it'ws first launch.

https://youtu.be/q34yVLXc0t4

https://youtu.be/c3uV-42q9jg
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Patrick Ulmer's  RC DELTA DESIGN..."THE BLINK" Empty Re: Patrick Ulmer's RC DELTA DESIGN..."THE BLINK"

Post  MauricioB Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:14 pm

Hello, I just watched the videos and they really are very fast!
Do you have detailed photos of the model aircraft? It would be interesting to see them in detail.
Good eyesight friend and good reflexes!!, in the second video and at the launch, ufff it was close!
Thanks for sharing!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Patrick Ulmer's  RC DELTA DESIGN..."THE BLINK" Empty Re: Patrick Ulmer's RC DELTA DESIGN..."THE BLINK"

Post  TD ABUSER Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:49 pm

MauricioB wrote:Hello, I just watched the videos and they really are very fast!
Do you have detailed photos of the model aircraft? It would be interesting to see them in detail.
Good eyesight friend and good reflexes!!, in the second video and at the launch, ufff it was close!
Thanks for sharing!

I don't have any photos but at the bottom of this page is a link to an older thread that has more information about THE BLINK.
By the time I built The Blink I had already built several .40 sized RC Deltas and all I really needed were the dimensions of the outline.
The Blink has an "advancing" trailing edge which makes it kind of unique...most RC Deltas just have a straight trailing edge.
you could build yours with a straight trailing edge and would never know the difference.
The Blink's trailing edge would make plugging the numbers into an online CG Calculator a little more complicated
Patrick Ulmer [ptulmer] hung out a lot at the RCU 1/2A Forum back when it was popular...so you could do a forum search there.
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:22 am

Thanks for sharing Chuck Rudolph

Doing a search was unable to pull up the photos at RCU, many files are gone there.
Google still shows thumb nails for now, but those search link photos may not last.

Top row Chucks red and white Blink n' TD version:

Patrick Ulmer's  RC DELTA DESIGN..."THE BLINK" Chucks10

Lighting The Tree Snowman Small Cox Logo Thumbs Up

1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:57 am

Brad, quite interesting design..if it was for RC use, I wonder how the aileron and elevator functions were combined in the flaps on the trailing edge, because I do not see a rudder?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:56 am

Hi 1/2 A Nut,
I think everyone should try flying a Delta.

Back in the 60s/70s pylon racing started.
Deltas were the fastest. By far.
Turning pylons was their downfall. Induced drag/etc.

A very fast flight and almost pancake landings are possible.
You learn 'ground effect' landing a Delta.
Seeing a delta in flight is very hard.
A sweet downwind pass is worth it. By far.
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:16 am

TD ABUSER wrote:
MauricioB wrote:Hello, I just watched the videos and they really are very fast!
Thanks for sharing!

I don't have any photos but at the bottom of this page is a link to an older thread that has more information about THE BLINK.
By the time I built The Blink I had already built several .40 sized RC Deltas and all I really needed were the dimensions of the outline.
The Blink has an "advancing" trailing edge which makes it kind of unique...most RC Deltas just have a straight trailing edge.
you could build yours with a straight trailing edge and would never know the difference.
The Blink's trailing edge would make plugging the numbers into an online CG Calculator a little more complicated
Patrick Ulmer [ptulmer] hung out a lot at the RCU 1/2A Forum back when it was popular...so you could do a forum search there.

Thanks for your answer, I really don't want to build one, just see the model in detail.
I built a hang glider a few years ago for a .40 engine from O.S. and I had a lot of fun.
In this case I wanted to see the design just out of curiosity.
In those years my radio did not allow the mixing of flaperons, so the mixing was mechanical, by means of a car that mounted two servos, one acting on the ailerons and the other moving it making the difference to be able to turn.
Very entertaining by the way.
Patrick Ulmer's  RC DELTA DESIGN..."THE BLINK" Ala_110
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:54 am

Mauricio,

the combined flaperon is indeed a smart solution with a separate servo pulling the car on which the aileron servo sits..this setup is primarily to use the elevators as flaperons to reduce the gliding speed before landing...with the servo connected to the elevators direct, it activates them as ailerons...with the servo pulling/pushing the car, the control surfaces will act as elevators......

The question, though, is how this setup works to turn the plane to the right or left, without a rudder? With ailerons the plane can be banked to "roll", but without the simultaneous use of the elevators I cannot think of how one turns the plane to the right or left? With separate ailerons and elevators this will of course work even without a rudder...but it is hard to imagen the same control surfaces to act as ailerons and elevators simultaneously.

Sorry if i missed something.

I have a similar full-wing RC plane, the Wonder by SIG that
has no rudder, but the ailerons are on the wing, and elevators work independently on the tail:

Patrick Ulmer's  RC DELTA DESIGN..."THE BLINK" Wonder10

(BTW with my TeeDee09 R/C engine this is just a crazy ball to fly...)
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:11 am

Hello Andras... the car with two servos (mechanics), as well as currently the mix can be done from the radio equipment (digital), they really are 100% effective and act immediately, since the mechanical system that I used also applied dual rates to make the flying wing more electrifying!!.
My flying wing had only one fixed rudder, which was in the middle.
The only problem was when you wanted to do other things with that wing than roll, loop, reverse and straight, the problem came when you wanted to snap! The wing went into a flat spin and it was very difficult. get it out of there, I was lucky, the flying wing began to fall into a flat spin turning clockwise, the way to get it out of there was, you sank the elevator to the maximum, you left the ailerons to the maximum to the left and engine at the top.... there came a point where the clockwise rotation began to stop while it descended until it stopped and there it recovered its line of flight, yes, it had to be high, because it took a few seconds to recuperate.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:33 am

MauricioB wrote:Hello Andras... the car with two servos (mechanics), as well as currently the mix can be done from the radio equipment (digital), they really are 100% effective and act immediately, since the mechanical system that I used also applied dual rates to make the flying wing more electrifying!!.
My flying wing had only one fixed rudder, which was in the middle.
The only problem was when you wanted to do other things with that wing than roll, loop, reverse and straight, the problem came when you wanted to snap! The wing went into a flat spin and it was very difficult. get it out of there, I was lucky, the flying wing began to fall into a flat spin turning clockwise, the way to get it out of there was, you sank the elevator to the maximum, you left the ailerons to the maximum to the left and engine at the top.... there came a point where the clockwise rotation began to stop while it descended until it stopped and there it recovered its line of flight, yes, it had to be high, because it took a few seconds to recuperate.

Thanks Mauricio, the maneuver you described would have ended up in a catastrophe with the radio in my hands... lol!

I have never used the mixing function of my Futaba radio, but even with a mixer function it would be hard to realize, how a plane turns e.g. to the left with only 1 control surface, that you use first as aileron to roll it to the left, then add some elevator to turn it to the left, and all these in the same time, with the same control surfaces...anyway, I will stay with the separate elevator and aileron surfaces... Very Happy
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:15 am

Yes, I understand that it is difficult to imagine, but just think and see how it works in reality. that is to say, what the system constantly does, be it mechanical or digital, is "differential", it would be good if you program it in the radio with a couple of servos on the dashboard and there you could see how it works.
If you make the mechanical system you will also notice it perfectly, only that you will also see the car move with the two servos.
I built my flying wing when I was 18 or so, the system really is genius. I never found out who first came up with it.
I did it from copying it when I saw it on another flying wing. In those years the radios were limited to mixing and those with advanced functions were financially inaccessible to me.

Friend, regarding the flat spin maneuver, I was lucky, that's all, instinctively I did what I did and it turned out well, later we started to talk about that effect at the club, and it's because the flying wing has no tail moment (stick) and rudder, then it's a top when it starts to turn.
The same thing happened to another colleague, only this time it fell flat to the ground, but the advantage is that when turning, the descent was not fast but rather floating and despite hitting the ground, the flying wing did not break.
I have the images of those moments perfectly recorded in my mind, it's a pity the cell phones were not there now, so we would have a video record!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:41 am

Good to know Chuck is still active.  Before the new radios had mixing there was the sliding tray and you could have an elevator between the ailerons with long torque rods on the ailerons.  Dubro also has a V Tail/elevon mixer that works well for smaller planes.  The unit bolts on to a servo and the top pivots/rocks back and forth.  See if this pic comes up.  https://ok-modelisme.com/wp-content/uploads/nc/dubro_133215.jpg   I have a Stryker with the elevons, and I like flying my Sig Wonder.  It turned out quite heavy and needed a lot of nose weight with the FP .15, so I extended the nose a bit with a spacer and use a Fox .15BB.  Has about the same power as the FP/LA but is a lot heavier.  Pulls the plane around quicker than my reflexes can handle sometimes.  Just the way I like it.  Slightly out of control.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TD ABUSER Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:06 am

Howdy Aspeed....not so active since this field was sold and turned into the site for a MENTAL HOSPITAL..,..which is kind of ironic].
The old owner was a Korean War pilot who let me fly there.
My only option now is to fly more quietly at "club fields".

BTW..I found the red Blink in the attic and it never had a Cyclon on it...it has a mount for the TD .049 or for a Norvel.
What you see in that video has to be either Cox or Norvel power. !
TD ABUSER
TD ABUSER
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down