Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox TeeDee .010 Cox_ba12

Cox TeeDee .010 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Today at 2:32 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by getback Today at 2:27 pm

» Post your Older books
by lla Today at 2:10 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Today at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Today at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:09 am

» Tired of it all…
by roddie Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 10:27 pm

» Science and Mechanics magazine's "Playboy" 14' plywood runabout plans.. circa 1950's
by roddie Yesterday at 9:30 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» Cox wrench
by layback209 Yesterday at 3:03 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by getback Yesterday at 10:04 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox TeeDee .010 Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox TeeDee .010

Go down

Cox TeeDee .010 Empty Cox TeeDee .010

Post  rdw777 Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:06 pm

My first one, Yay!! What a neat little jewel!!

Cox TeeDee .010 D6957e10

I wanted to take it apart but didn’t have any .010 tools so made some in Wood Bee machine shop….

Cox TeeDee .010 18761710
Cox TeeDee .010 68c03910

Was gooed pretty good inside and the needle locked in good…. Heat and gentle teasing finally got it apart…. Glow head lit so try for a run??

Cox TeeDee .010 Fb4c3310
Cox TeeDee .010 6d301410

No crankcase gasket!!…. Sticky note paper to the rescue!!! Boiled all the plastic and the prop…Carb body didn’t want to go back on until softened a little….

Cox TeeDee .010 3c01aa10

She fired off!!….Took it kind of easy…. Piston needs a reset…. I’ll order the right tools and a few spare parts….What a neat little engine  Small Cox Logo  Small Cox Logo  Small Cox Logo

Cox TeeDee .010 Bcf09f10
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox TeeDee .010 Empty Re: Cox TeeDee .010

Post  Levent Suberk Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:47 pm

Lighting The Tree Christmas Tree Santa Very Happy Fireworks
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:04 am

Congrats Robert, this lil gem got finally in caring hands! Its internal was terrible with that goo caked on the piston.

Tee dee 010- s came from the factory with no gasket between the crankcase and tank. The plastic tank was considered smooth and even enough to seal well. Of course adding a home made gasket will only make it safer against air leakage.

I saw that devarnisher brush on one of your photos. I have given up using it for fears of unwanted cylinder material loss even if used only by screwing it in with no axial, just tangential motion.

I use cold grease remover spray for kitchen appliances, instead. Put a few drops on a swab or ear bud and loosen up the varnish on the cylinder, then clean it with nail polish remover/acetone I snitch from my wife.

Good luck with this fantastic engine. For the ease and safety of its NV setting I repurposed a medical needle cap; only for setting it then of course I pull it off before launching the plane

Cox TeeDee .010 16715210
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:19 am

Thank you Levent, Andras Very Happy

Good idea on the needle adjuster… I knew I would need something, Just did not know what yet… I think I even may have some of the needle caps…. Yes, The prop can be a little nippy that close…. I already know LOL!!!

The brushes are a little nylon set I got from Harbor Freight, Mostly used to help clean hard to get to places, fins, etc… They cylinder was actually in pretty good shape internally only cleaned with alcohol and swabs…

The best I can measure the piston/rod has about.005” play so I kept it around 22-23K… You can tell it’s anxious though to spin on up…. Also a little vibration….. Need to balance the prop better….. I’ve been using little drops of CA glue spread on the front of the light blade near the tip….Have any other suggestions on prop balancing?
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:35 am

Well, I typically either remove propeller imbalance by light sanding some material from the heavy blade tip of trailing edge, or, force a small piece of steel wire into the cavity of the prop hub for larger, 5" dia COX props..I know the balancing moment of the wire, with the cavity close the the axis of rotation, is minimal, but I still like it as this will not require any obtrusive action on the nice props.

Regarding the ball joint gap, I can only tell you the no-brainer that you are also surely aware of, that try to exert as much caution as possible when tapping on the reset tool, because the tiny cap and the piston crown are very vulnerable to mechanical impacts, and 010 pistons for replacement are almost non-obtainium nowadays.

I also have the resetting tool, but luckily have never had to use it. The forces acting in a 010 to widen the balljoint gap are much less than in a 049, while the yield stress of the material is the same...so chances are, that if the factory setting of the gap was good, you will never have to adjust it in a 010...at least my humble experience. But some engines may have come with loose gap right from the factory.

Before you assemble the engine, it may be a good tip to apply some silicone oil like WD-40 on the cylinder threads only. The presence of silicone will delay the caking of castor in the threads such that the removal of the cylinder next time may be easier.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:22 am

congratulations on the first .010 and the run !! They really are amazing ! First time i ran one i thought ,it sounds like a toy LOL and then after spinning it up relised the precision craftmanship ! Small Cox Logo Enjoy ! Lighting The Tree
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:24 am

balogh wrote:Before you assemble the engine, it may be a good tip to apply some silicone oil like WD-40  on the cylinder threads only. The presence of silicone will delay the caking of castor in the threads such that the removal of the cylinder next time may be easier.

Quite right, I always use silicone grease on all threads of engines. However WD-40 is not pure silicone if I know right Very Happy
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:34 am

Thanks, Levent,

yes. WD-40 may include more than just silicone, and I make sure it does not get on the piston or inside the cylinder, anyway, this is the easiest available lubricant for me that includes silicon.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:33 am

balogh wrote:I use cold grease remover spray for kitchen appliances, instead. Put a few drops on a swab or ear bud and loosen up the varnish on the cylinder, then clean it with nail polish remover/acetone I snitch from my wife.

Andras, what brand you use for removing varnish? I searched kitchen grease removers but don't use on aluminum caution on labels. Do you use only on steel parts?
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:13 am

Levent, yes, this only does good on steel, aluminum will be discolored if comes in contact with it. It includes some phosphates (phosphoric acid???) and amphoter substances.

The one I use is a Hungarian brand, but it should be available in any convenience store where cleaning materials and detergents are sold:

Cox TeeDee .010 Cold_g10
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:50 am

yeeeeaaaahhhh!!!!....what a beautiful engine you have there!, congratulations!.
I like your set of homemade tools!...I like the handicraft set up, it's good for the mind!.
I am very happy that you are happy with that jewel and the more you disassemble it, clean it, lubricate it and start it up, the more you feel part of it!
It's a magical world, incredible what it feels like, I know!
Hug friend!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:38 pm

Thanks Eric, I think it’s going to bee a winner!

Thanks for the tip on WD-40 on the cylinder threads Andras, Had not heard that one before…. Will do on next disassembly!!

Thanks Mauricio!! The tools were fun to make too….The “teeth” for the glow head wrench were 4-40 hardened machine screws that I ground flat sections on then soldered into the old brass door hardware…It gets a very positive grip on the head…. The Venturi wrench was brass from an old office name plate….. The wood block with the bamboo dowels helped get the front retaining nut off…

Best wishes friends Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo Cox TeeDee .010 7635c910
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:34 pm

balogh wrote:
Before you assemble the engine, it may be a good tip to apply some silicone oil like WD-40  on the cylinder threads only. The presence of silicone will delay the caking of castor in the threads such that the removal of the cylinder next time may be easier.

I'm not a fan of WD-40 as a lubricant, however, I am a believer in the use of silicone oil.

I've been using Losi Silicone Shock Oil as a source of pure silicone oil (available from Traxxas as well). I originally picked up a bottle as a lubricant for the seals in my airguns, but have used it wherever rubber is involved -- since it's non-petroleum based, it's rubber safe. Plus, it is available in a number of weights.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:22 pm

I must admit I did not really search for pure silicone oil, because other than WD40 for various other purposes than COX, I do not use silicone containing lubricants at all.

But WD40 came handy to treat the cylinder thread.

For after run oil in my COX engines I also use Bernie's blue oil.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:38 pm

rdw777 wrote:Thanks Eric, I think it’s going to bee a winner!

Thanks for the tip on WD-40 on the cylinder threads Andras, Had not heard that one before…. Will do on next disassembly!!

Thanks Mauricio!! The tools were fun to make too….The “teeth” for the glow head wrench were 4-40 hardened machine screws that I ground flat sections on then soldered into the old brass door hardware…It gets a very positive grip on the head…. The Venturi wrench was brass from an old office name plate….. The wood block with the bamboo dowels helped get the front retaining nut off…

Best wishes friends Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo Cox TeeDee .010 7635c910

Friend! That idea of the threaded and filed screw there is great!!!, great, great!
You have just helped me to give an idea of a tool that I have to make myself!... you are what inspired me in this case... you will have news!
Thank you!....
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox TeeDee .010 Empty Fledgling

Post  Coxfledgling Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:48 am

Nice one, reuse, repurpose, recycle.
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member