Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023- - Page 2 Cox_ba12

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023- - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 9:24 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 5:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 5:27 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023- - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023-

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023- - Page 2 Empty Re: *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023-

Post  fredvon4 Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:13 pm

In my 68~69 years and entering a lot of all sorts of "contests"-- especially those with some prize-- there will always be some person that wants to evaluate the rules by some exclusionary and arbitrary standards rather than reading the rules for comprehension and interpreting the INTENT of the contest and rules...

I hate all attempts to nit pick, and sorry Cmulder but that is a real nit pic...

Read the rules and understand that CEF is a compendium of Adult FRIENDS having fun. There is absolutely no point in asking the Admin to go find some Lawyer to ensure there is ZERO ambiguity in THE RULES.

IMO any person with reasonable reading ability can fully understand the rules of this CONTEST as currently written, more to the point the intent of the "CONTEST"

Again, If YOU (or any member) have a question or concern-- than Please feel free to start a topic addressing THIS CONTEST and suggest a new correction or ask for any clarification.

CEF is an open community based on Mutual respect and so far ( I am a very old timer here) this dynamic is the very sincere virtue of this community. I can assure you if YOU disagree with THE RULES of this contest (and potentially winning the prize) You may open a topic to discuss your concerns and your concern or suggestion will get a fair consideration.
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023- - Page 2 Empty Re: *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023-

Post  fredvon4 Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:21 pm

An very egregious example of an totally inappropriate post in this Submit your contest pictures thread:

I always vote for my own entry..DUH

I always happy when others vote for my entry

In this case ( very inappropriate) I think the first photo is going to be the winner

If I was to kibbutz in this thread (topic) I WOULD SUGGEST THE POST OF THAT VERY COOL PICTURE SHOULD TURN OFF THE FLASH..

There I think I should have pist off most following...

Very Grumpy PHRED
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:50 pm

cmulder wrote:Few points that hopefuly  explain my side.
"reasons" ; The way i understand the rules is that previous winners have to wait some time before being allouwd to enter the comptition again.
So waiting to be the 11th picture makes sure the picture is not a valid entry.

The "how much of a engine must be visable" question does raise a  interesting point that is not clearly defined in the rules.
There are rules about all the parts of a disassembled engine but not(?) any refering to a complete engine.
When mounted in a model its quite common view of part of the engine is blocked by parts of the model.
Is this something that needs to be defined so people know what pictures are valid to enter and what not?

For the record ; i assume everyone accepts this engine and model are made out of original  cox parts and the only "non cox" parts are the prop and the rubber bands.
On that subject; what are the rules regarding the "current production" replica parts  like the new crankcases; are they a valid entry?

thoughts?

You got me on the rule explicitly stating the visibility of the engine. I honestly thought it was stated, perhaps at one time before the rules were rewritten some years back. I'll have to make that more clear. I have come down on photos many times in the past when the engine was hidden inside a model, or photographed at a poor angle or too far away... It's difficult to impossible to tell what engine is there when all that can be seen of the engine is the top part of the cylinder with a head and a crankcase nose. I always give the poster time to fix or replace the photo if there is a issue with it. I know it's tough to photograph some engines in their original models. One suggestion would be to remove the cowl (or body of a car) or even the complete engine to photograph, then take a picture of the model complete with the engine and stitch the two photos together in image editing software. That way, we know what kind of engine is in the model. If one doesn't have image editing software or doesn't know how, I can always help.

It's not against the rules for a member to retract a photo so another who posted too late can be included, nobody should feel pressured to do so though

I accept the reproduction Cox parts such as Bernie's crankcases and cylinders since they are designed off the original Cox drawings.

cmulder wrote:Few points that hopefuly  explain my side.
"reasons" ; The way i understand the rules is that previous winners have to wait some time before being allouwd to enter the comptition again.

That only applies to pictures, not the member. So a member can win several months in a row if their pictures happened to be chosen as the best. They just cannot resubmit the same picture month after month, especially if they previously won with the picture.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:16 pm

I'm open to editing the rules when there are some good suggestions. I like to keep the Cox Engine of the Month somewhat casual like it is, but if we need to, it could be tightened up quite a bit.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:53 pm

I like the current casualness of the submission side of the contest, because thus far, no one has been abusive, questions are reasonable along with feedback and inputs. Personally I thought that once the 10 qualified photos were identified, then of course once voting stage opens in a new thread, all thus far has restricted their comments only to bumps to keep the thread visible in the left hand Latest Topics list, to encourage others to vote. Once over, most have been very congratulatory to the winner, even before official declaration.

We are sort of like a family here. No one as far as I know, has been abusive, and similar to family, discussion is a normal and healthy outlet. I didn't see anything really out-of-line, IMO. Also, the good is that several items received clarification, which should improve the next month's submission, especially on required Cox parts as long as based on original factory drawings.

There are two more days left until the submission period is considered closed. Since I already withdrew my submission to give another a chance, I'm willing to stick to my original withdrawal. If there are no others, then mine could serve as the 10th so we can have a successful April contest upon closing.

With that in mind, I'd think that someone could possible scoop Charles and become the 10th, no? Roddie
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:58 am

I sure hope my post didn't trigger any ill feeling.  My comment was just meant to clarify things for a relatively new member who, I felt, may have not understood the "rules".  In a casual thing like Cox Engine of the Month, I just assumed that there were commonly accepted rules that weren't necessarily written, and that we all knew and accepted that.  Unfortunately "rules" seems to be one of our biggest stumbling blocks. silent
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023- - Page 2 Empty Past cox engine of the month winners

Post  Basswood Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:33 am

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023- - Page 2 9_706j10
*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023- - Page 2 10_sur10
*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023- - Page 2 1_leve10
I found many more but website said to many for post. Very Happy
Take a look at past winners yourself.
Basswood
Basswood
Basswood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  706jim Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:45 am

I HAD to vote for #9...
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023- - Page 2 Empty There natural home

Post  cmulder Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:38 pm

Basswood wrote:Take a look at past winners yourself.
Basswood
*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023- - Page 2 5_rdw711
What is the "natural" "home" of our engines?
On a plane or on a shelf/display cabinet?
Many scale models have the engine in a cowling included most designed by cox.
That is how there creator intended them to be.
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023- - Page 2 Empty on a diferent note

Post  cmulder Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:54 pm

A loud engine on a "Silentius" is downright "blasamy"

(for those not familiair with this model; it was one of the first, if not THE first ELECTRIC powered model plane kit in serial production. in 1960)
A historic "milestone" in model aviation technology.

RC Plane
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:47 pm

OK I am getting pretty Grumpy with this

•One picture
•Picture shall be of one engine or engines that are alike (a Babe Bee and a Tee Dee .049 together would NOT qualify)
•Must be a Cox Engine

The Monthly Cox Engine of the Month contest...with a PRIZE seems to my addled old 68 year old brain, to be pretty damned self explanatory to me...maybe I am just dense, and after two strokes I may just well be

Even at my advanced age, I can determine on ANY photo ..What is and What is not the subject of the image

Example, this month's first entry...aside from the flash problem, the primary subject is the COX engine, the other elements are just cool...

The rules allow ONE photo and that ONE photo might include ALL or Some Variants of any Particular COX engine. Thus a post with 9 PHOTOS EACH of a Cox Engine with different colored fuel tanks is NOT in the rules, but a SINGLE photo with ALL the DIFFERENT TANKs is acceptable...KAPISH!!!

Each month are a few photos where the COX engine is NOT the subject of the photo...While it may be cool that you put a TeeDee .051 inside the very cool enclosed Boat/or very pretty aircraft.. and the Boat/car/aircraft is indeed too cool for words...This is not a Airplane or Boat or Car contest--- the forum is CEF ...COX ENGINE FORUM and this Prize contest is all about COX ENGINES..

This all said, I am tired of these stupid argument and henceforth I will no longer opine on this subject,,, congrats..this charter member is no longer, a monthly entrant
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:18 pm

cmulder wrote:A loud engine on a "Silentius" is downright "blasamy"  

(for those not familiair with this model; it was one of the first, if not THE first ELECTRIC powered model plane kit in serial production. in 1960)
A historic "milestone" in model aviation technology.

RC Plane  

I ask you to be careful with your words.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:40 pm

cmulder wrote:
Basswood wrote:Take a look at past winners yourself.
Basswood
*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023- - Page 2 5_rdw711
What is the "natural" "home" of our engines?
On a plane or on a shelf/display cabinet?
Many scale models have the engine in a cowling included most designed by cox.
That is how there creator intended them to be.

The difference is one can tell what engine that is without being told what it is.

If you would've taken another photo looking down the cowl, or as I suggested earlier, took a picture of the engine with the cowl removed or the engine removed, then stitched the two pictures together in image editing software... that would've been fine.

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023- - Page 2 Dscf7530

We all have to remember that this is Cox ENGINE of the Month, not Cox engines of the month, or Cox model of the month. It's about the engine above all.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:52 pm

We all have to remember that this is Cox ENGINE of the Month, not Cox engines of the month, or Cox model of the month. It's about the engine above all

By God I think our dear admin summed it up so much more succinctly that I did and with many fewer words..
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023- - Page 2 Empty #2

Post  Basswood Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:05 am

If this contest is about engines only why isn't there a single vote on #2
I think its a great looking little power plant. or what about#7.

Fred I agree about the flash. I did not notice the ghost until I looked at it later. I’m working on a light box to take better photos.
If you look close at Rat Rod, there are jokes all over it. every time I look at rat rod it makes me laugh. One of the few things that does these days.
To me its not just about the engine, it's about the fun.
may need some rule changes here.
Basswood Bob
Basswood
Basswood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:04 am

In my experience, no matter what the rules say, the votes are cast such that it is usually the first impression the picture makes that drives the votes...cowled engine or naked, I saw both win or lose...I saw engines in poor, battered condition win, and engines sporting the fanciest, most polished appearence lose the competition..I submitted my photos often with the conviction that my engine should win because it is so much fancy or equipped with my DIY accessories, only to realize that it ended up with the lowest number of votes...

So I believe the submission rules are right and necessary, but at the end the subjective taste of voters will decide always in a rather unpredictable outcome...

balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:16 am

There is a good exception to the single engine rule, and that is all engines must be of the same type. I had one photo entered some months ago that included my Ranger in white tank, Dragonfly in black tank, and R/C Bee in red tank. My theme was, "Extended capacity plastic tank engines". Since they all use the same tank (except Ranger and Dragonfly have a back extension adding a touch more fuel capacity, the R/C Bee uses a cast instead of extruded crankcase) and similar slotted exhaust cylinders, with all noses covered by the ratchet starter spring. They were all considered similar enough to qualify under the rules.

In another situation, someone showed a large Mayonaise jar filled with Babe Bees.

Soapbox  Beer Cheers

Let us support one another by keeping this contest light, fun, interesting, and occasionally pouring on the "salsa habaneraHot Warm to surprise each other in future contests. Eyebrows (The element of "surprise" makes this contest fun!) Very Happy

lol! Thanks Friends/Meeting
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:38 pm

To me this is more like ”engine photo of the month”, and my entries are composed accordingly. I have won a couple of times, and I have ended up with one vote or no votes at all.

Getting no votes or finishing last is disappointing of course, but we are all big boys and can take it, right Very Happy

Besides, getting only one vote or no votes at all does not mean everybody hates your picture (or you), more likely it is just not their #1 favourite. Could be that the one photo with zero votes is everybody’s 2nd favourite.

I myself equally like the battered beaters, castor covered shed finds (like my entry this month), highly polished customs like Brad’s or Fred’s examples etc. Usually it is the photo or engine that has ”something special” that gets my vote.

About the flying vs displaying, well, I am not sure how many engines I have, less than hundred probably, but in any case it would be impossible for me to build a model for each engine, or even if I did manage that, to have the time, energy and weather to fly all of them is impossible. I consider my collection a Sanctuary of neglected Bees, many of them would have ended up in scrap had I not bought or received them. Or adapted as I consider it Smile
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

*Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -April 2023- - Page 2 Empty this

Post  cmulder Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:11 pm

Basswood wrote:To me its not just about the engine, it's about the fun.

cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:45 pm

cmulder wrote: this
Basswood wrote:To me its not just about the engine, it's about the fun.

Yes, of course!. RC Plane

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2