Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

racing at6?  Cox_ba12

racing at6?  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 8:58 pm

» Tired of it all…
by Admin Today at 8:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by OVERLORD Today at 2:20 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

racing at6?  Empty
Live on Patrol

racing at6?

Go down

Thinking racing at6?

Post  cmulder Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:39 am

Made up a "kinda killer" bee from a kb backplate, td piston/liner and for good measure added a trust washer behind the prop drive plate.
Crank/case is stock sure start version
These have the same dimentions as a product engine so put it in a at6 "'texan" and also found a apc 4.75 by 4 prop and put it on.

Is this a good idea?
Will it fly ?
Will the heat from the engine damage the plastic?
Will it be to powerfull and fall apart during flying?

What do you guys think?
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Thinking stronger tail mod

Post  cmulder Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:54 pm

Was playing with the model and found the horizontal tail quite easy to move up and down (not the elevator but the part that should not move Wink
So drilled a hole and run a small rubber band trough it to better secure the tail.
racing at6?  Dscf7531
racing at6?  Dscf7533
racing at6?  Dscf7532
racing at6?  Dscf7534
racing at6?  Dscf7535
racing at6?  Dscf7536
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: racing at6?

Post  balogh Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:44 pm

cmulder wrote:Made up a "kinda killer" bee from a kb backplate, td piston/liner and for good measure added a trust washer behind the prop drive plate.
Crank/case is stock sure start version
These have the same dimentions as a product engine so put it in a at6  "'texan" and also found a apc 4.75 by 4 prop and  put it on.

Is this a good idea?
Will it fly ?
Will the heat from the engine damage the plastic?
Will it be to powerfull and fall apart during flying?

What do you guys think?

I built a killer bee clone like yours and it is very powerful. I would remove the cam starter which robs some power that you reached with the TD piston and cylinder,  and add a conventional frictionless starter spring. You may up the engine further with a turbo head like Kamtechnik.

You may also make your own exhaust deflector cut from a beer can or similar,  to protect the plastic from the hot flue gases.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:44 pm

A really nice looking Texan and a great fix on that vertical stab.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking exhaust deflector

Post  cmulder Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:14 pm

I have a exhaust deflector made by cox that goes between the backplate and crankcase; would that work or make a ring that forces the exhoust to be pushed up?

cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:09 pm

The stock COX deflector that goes between the crankcase and backplate will disperse hot gases and castor and will protect the plastic parts from melting...do not even dream about a perfect castor splash control unless you have a completely closed muffler, and even with the outlet directed away from the plane will not help prevent castor to smear your fuselage..a closed manifold connected to a Profi tuned pipe is the ultimate solution.

But this is how we like our COX engines slinging castor, isn't it? lol!
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:56 am

I have looked on the Cox International site and cannot see an exhaust deflector. Are they a part that was once available as a standard Cox part but now no longer available. are they a part that will fit on a Surestart grey backplate and crank case? I have seen various Cox mufflers but never a deflector plate.
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:49 am

Yabby wrote:I have looked on the Cox International site and cannot see an exhaust deflector. Are they a part that was once available as a standard Cox part but now no longer available. are they a part that will fit on a Surestart grey backplate and crank case?  I have seen various Cox mufflers but never a deflector plate.
It should fit. They were designed to fit the back of the standard extruded crankcases, thin sheet steel in design not requiring lengthened backplate bolts, so I can't see why they would not work.

The stamped blued spring steel exhaust deflectors were available some years back on Bernie's site. But, like in all popular items, sold out quickly, ditto with Matt's site. However once in a great while, they may locate a viable source (someone has a stash, willing to sell them wholesale and demand appears to be sufficient), they will sell.

Question is, when will the likelihood of this again occur? Perhaps a question for Kamtechnik to possibly explore making a suitable substitute?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:23 am

Yabby wrote:I have looked on the Cox International site and cannot see an exhaust deflector. Are they a part that was once available as a standard Cox part but now no longer available. are they a part that will fit on a Surestart grey backplate and crank case?  I have seen various Cox mufflers but never a deflector plate.
hi priced https://www.rcnz.com/categories/fuel-engine-parts/cox-engine-parts/cox-049-exhaust-deflector-shield/
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:37 am

Hi Gary, Here's a couple photos of a Cox exhaust-deflector for the reed-valve .049/.051 engines. Cox International used to offer these.. but I don't know if they're still available. Making one from thin metal wouldn't be that difficult though.

racing at6?  Exhaus15

racing at6?  Exhaus16

Keep in mind; this only deflects the hot gases from "one side" of the cylinder.. and was intended to keep the user from burning their fingers while adjusting the needle-valve.. assuming that the needle was directly behind the cylinder.. and a cylinder's exhaust-port was facing the needle.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:14 pm

I can see how one could manufacture one from the aluminum of a soft drink can, by careful crafting using standard hand tools. Plus, they could extend the shielding to further protect plastic or painted surfaces from the heat of exhaust and hot Castor oil spatter.

I have even noticed on some photos of Bob @rsv1cox's Cox, earlier Wen Macs, and 1963 A.C. Gilbert RTF's, that unmuffled, they being historic survivors of many successful flights, suffered from plastic deformation behind and around the engine.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:50 am

roddie wrote:

Hi Gary, Here's a couple photos of a Cox exhaust-deflector for the reed-valve .049/.051 engines. Cox International used to offer these.. but I don't know if they're still available. Making one from thin metal wouldn't be that difficult though.

thanks Roddie! Thumbs Up Now I understand what the deflectors are all about. Laughing I knew I was missing something somewhere and not understanding Very Happy Thumbs Up
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:28 am

getback wrote:
 hi priced https://www.rcnz.com/categories/fuel-engine-parts/cox-engine-parts/cox-049-exhaust-deflector-shield/

You're talking NZ dollars, so USD will be significant less.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:03 am

Oldenginerod wrote:
getback wrote:
You're talking NZ dollars, so USD will be significant less.
$10.00 NZD = $6.31 USD = $1331.16 ARS (Argentine Peso) = €5.76 EUR = $8.51 CAD = ₺121.64 TRY (Turkish Lira).
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking spacing?

Post  cmulder Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:59 pm

One thing i was wondering about adding this deflector is that it adds to the clearance between the crankpin and the backplate.
Is there no aditional risk that the conrod moves back and part off the crankpin?
This might lead to increased loads and wear.
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:03 pm

A few years ago I took two of the yellow "Manits" Wings planes and set them up for my son and I to run on the paved circle out at our club for some informal racing, as I wasn't up for doing true 1/2A racing.  Just think if we could get three guys together in the circle with three of these T-6 Racers....

racing at6?  3325

The Speed Demon Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking model reno :)

Post  cmulder Tue Apr 11, 2023 2:20 pm

batjac wrote:A few years ago I took two of the yellow "Manits" Wings planes and set them up for my son and I to run on the paved circle out at our club for some informal racing, as I wasn't up for doing true 1/2A racing.  Just think if we could get three guys together in the circle with three of these T-6 Racers....

racing at6?  3325

The Speed Demon Mark

With these models its so easy to change the engine so you could have a "stock class" race and then change the engine/prop and have a "unlimited" race class with the same models Smile
Also because there are red and black at6 versions people could make color combinations that stand out from eachother.

Smile

cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down