Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

toy glider controll line conversion idea Cox_ba12

toy glider controll line conversion idea Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 10:31 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by rsv1cox Today at 7:41 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

toy glider controll line conversion idea Empty
Live on Patrol

toy glider controll line conversion idea

Go down

toy glider controll line conversion idea Empty toy glider controll line conversion idea

Post  cmulder Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:15 pm

Saw this on the facebook "lidl glider" group.
Original idea from brisbane controll line club
toy glider controll line conversion idea 34402310

Don't know anything more but the vid shows it flies well.

cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

toy glider controll line conversion idea Empty Re: toy glider controll line conversion idea

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:45 pm

Charles, it looks like a really nice job done and good selection on a suitable candidate to convert to C/L. This takes ARF to a new level. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

toy glider controll line conversion idea Empty Re: toy glider controll line conversion idea

Post  sosam117 Mon May 01, 2023 9:58 am

cmulder wrote:Saw this on the facebook "lidl glider" group.
Original idea from brisbane controll line club
toy glider controll line conversion idea 34402310

Don't know anything more but the vid shows it  flies well.

I think maybe a Cox .020 would have been enough?
That foam is fairly light.
sosam117
sosam117
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

toy glider controll line conversion idea Empty 0.049 are cheaper and more durable

Post  cmulder Mon May 01, 2023 2:57 pm

sosam117 wrote:
I think maybe a Cox .020 would have been enough?
That foam is fairly light.
Agree that a .020 would fly the model.
Though for a beginner on a budget or as a combat model a cheaper 049 might be a more apropiate choice.
Or put a td0.049 on it and make it into a true speed model.
These gliders are so cheap that a failed experiment/crash does not matter.
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon May 01, 2023 3:58 pm

cmulder wrote:
sosam117 wrote:I think maybe a Cox .020 would have been enough? That foam is fairly light.
Agree that a .020 would fly the model. Though for a beginner on a budget or as a combat model a cheaper 049 might be a more appropriate choice. Or put a td0.049 on it and make it into a true speed model. These gliders are so cheap that a failed experiment/crash does not matter.
A technique back in ye olden days was to put a prop on backwards. The reduced thrust efficiency by having the blade airfoil going the wrong way would reduce thrust. One could use a milder prop like a 5x3 instead of a 6x3. Looks like he shortened the nose sufficiently to get the 8cc tank engine closer to proper balance. Also run the engine in a rich 2 cycle, use a lower compression glow plug head. Looks like he used a mild Babe Bee type engine because the tank is not stunt one, which means not a Black Widow.

But, the idea does have merit as you say Charles, cheap fun and less worry about crash damage.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

toy glider controll line conversion idea Empty looks to be this engine.

Post  cmulder Mon May 01, 2023 5:15 pm

Looks like the engine is the "skymaster"
Cheap fun and even cheaper if a used engine is avaiable.
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon May 01, 2023 5:26 pm

I love the flaired wing tips and the blended cockpit.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon May 01, 2023 6:09 pm

Usually...  a fully-symetrical airfoil is already in-place...... which is definitely "key"....

You know.. I've seen these little foamy's around town........ I "always" look at a model airplane package.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue May 02, 2023 5:15 am

Are these like Walmart models ? where was the video i didn't see it ,, Had some nice models at the meet .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue May 02, 2023 8:39 am

Just wonder if the wing has any solid built in spar or similar? A TD049, even if with the prop mounted with the front looking backwards, would enable such fast maneuvers that the wings could easily buckle unless stiffened with a spar...the other issue is the hot castor working on the foam..would it penetrate and make it heavy after a few flights, or, even more harmful, soften the material? Paints do not really stick well to the foam surface in my experience, and sealing the foam against castor penetration should be given a thought or too....otherwise I agree the super light fuselage would allow even 020 size PeeWee or TeeDee powerplants too...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Tue May 02, 2023 10:06 am

I picked up something that looks very much like that plane in the Toledo show before the virus came. No spar, but the paint is pretty good. Have not checked if it is fuel proof. Never thought of control line for it. It does not fly well as a glider because it is too tail heavy. I had planned to go electric at some time, but it seemed a bit heavy. It would go straight up, stall and crash straight into the ground, and bounce up a foot or so. Pretty tough. Maybe a side mounted motor with the Golden Bee tank and the needle valve sideways too. Then the canopy might be a bit longer and trimmed nicer. Of course a TD is always best. Think I paid about $7 U.S.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue May 02, 2023 11:46 am

In C/L mode, a .020 Tee Dee might be a good one because its power is akin to a weaker .049, plus being lighter, one could do less shortening of the fuselage nose and basically blend it smoothly with the contours of the fuselage nose, instead of the functional but deeper hacking for .049.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

toy glider controll line conversion idea Empty this is the version sold by lidl in europe

Post  cmulder Tue May 02, 2023 12:15 pm

toy glider controll line conversion idea Dscf7537

Multiplex fox is the "original" and this lidl version is almost identical.

They are just foam and have no reinforcements at all so a spar (or strip of that glass fibre tape) would be a good idea wne more power is used.
ALso i would make the elevator out of balsa "just to be save"

I might cover mine with simple clear packing tape to make it slightly stronger and easier to clean.
ALso its a good idea to wash them with warm water and soap to remove any mold release wax so that any tape/ covering sticks better.
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

toy glider controll line conversion idea Empty CG location

Post  cmulder Tue May 02, 2023 12:20 pm

5 gram was added to the included nose weight to optimise the free flight glide.
That gave a CG of 30mm from the leading edge.
cmulder
cmulder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue May 02, 2023 1:01 pm

A continuous strip of clear-plastic packing tape across the wing's leading-edge would add some protection against folding.. while also protecting against cuts/abrasions. The "dollar stores" in my locale have these little foamy-kits in stock. The ones I've seen there are pretty small though.. more like for a Cox Tee Dee .010 power.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:21 pm

Well, no-one's taken on the challenge to build one of these yet. Any activity out there? It would be good to see a couple of people rise to the challenge
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:22 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Well, no-one's taken on the challenge to build one of these yet.  Any activity out there?  It would be good to see a couple of people rise to the challenge
Well, I have not taken on the challenge 'yet', but made some activity which may help someone find them. I picked up a 22" span, white beaded foam glider, the one with the squared leading edge, and also a smaller 15" span one with the better foam. The white one is quite tail heavy and does not fly well at all, and the wings are two piece and would need sanding. The size may be OK for an .049 if it is all stiffened up. The smaller one looks good and flies OK as a FF. and might be overpowered with an .049. The other one that I bought a few years ago for $7 is slightly bigger @ 19" and would be OK with an .049. It is branded 'ready made RC' Anyway the first two were at the Dollar Tree which is a common store in the US and Canada. Here it is the $1.50 store with inflation + 13% tax, still a deal. Not sure if I will go further with a build, but it looks cool hanging beside a speed model in the basement.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:35 am

Ok.  Well I made a start.
toy glider controll line conversion idea Img_2082

$3.50 at Kmart.  Identical to the original one pictured.
I thought I'd better buy my own rather than carve up my grandson's example.  Laughing
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:43 am

Great Rod...................Expecting a Kim style report. Pictures, text, analysis, GoPro videos... Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:46 am

lol! Yes best not to take grandkids ,, Sounds good hope you document it here I Love This Forum! Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down