Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

More RR-1 Stuff...The OTHER Cylinder/Piston is Installed - Page 2 Cox_ba12

More RR-1 Stuff...The OTHER Cylinder/Piston is Installed - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Today at 8:05 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by MauricioB Today at 7:39 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» WHO NEEDS TANKS!!!?? Perfect Brand Tanks For Sale
by DanMc Yesterday at 9:07 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 9:02 pm

» Piston to Cylinder - what's a good fit, what's bad?
by mike in SC Yesterday at 7:42 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 5:13 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 2:51 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 2:07 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 2:03 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Yesterday at 2:01 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

More RR-1 Stuff...The OTHER Cylinder/Piston is Installed - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

More RR-1 Stuff...The OTHER Cylinder/Piston is Installed

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

More RR-1 Stuff...The OTHER Cylinder/Piston is Installed - Page 2 Empty Re: More RR-1 Stuff...The OTHER Cylinder/Piston is Installed

Post  Kim Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:06 pm

From my Facebook Page:
---------------------------------------------------
A lot of times, an attitude of "never throw anything away" comes through as a good thing.

After rattling around in a junkyard cigar box of .049 parts for 5 decades or so, a long-neglected case/cylinder/piston gets hauled out into the daylight to have its ancient castor force-cleaned.

The cylinder and piston that powered a plastic control line RTF Mustang around Olmsted's ball park back in the 1960's will now find a new home in the Ebay RR-1 I just got.  I was a gawky teenager the last time these parts burned some glow fuel.

The reason for all this switching around is to help make the RR-1 look a LITTLE more original...which I usually don't care about.  But this engine came with a heavy-sided cylinder that was not used on the RR-1's in days of old.  I tagged it though, JUST in case I change my mind and want to take the engine back to the condition I received it.

It's STILL not gonna be original, so don't tell anyone!

More RR-1 Stuff...The OTHER Cylinder/Piston is Installed - Page 2 105_113

So, a cool cloudy evening sees the "Ebay RR-1" getting a different cylinder/piston set (not "new" by any means), and now much closely resembles the other RR-1 in my collection.
Next stop: flying around the hill on the nose of the Q-Tee.

More RR-1 Stuff...The OTHER Cylinder/Piston is Installed - Page 2 100_59
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

More RR-1 Stuff...The OTHER Cylinder/Piston is Installed - Page 2 Empty Re: More RR-1 Stuff...The OTHER Cylinder/Piston is Installed

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:24 pm

There may be a reason why the RR-1 sported a later model cylinder and piston set. The thin wall cylinders were easy to damage with a Cox engine wrench (BTDT). One would just drop by the nearest hobby shop/Sears/Montgomery Ward/etc., look at the Cox engines parts rack. Find a replacement cylinder/piston set for a .049, and change. So what if it wasn't exactly like the one that was on it. As long as it ran well, who cared? Wink

As they say in Spanish, "Si no te importa, no importa." (If you don't mind, it don't matter.) Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:56 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:There may be a reason why the RR-1 sported a later model cylinder and piston set. The thin wall cylinders were easy to damage with a Cox engine wrench (BTDT). One would just drop by the nearest hobby shop/Sears/Montgomery Ward/etc., look at the Cox engines parts rack. Find a replacement cylinder/piston set for a .049, and change. So what if it wasn't exactly like the one that was on it. As long as it ran well, who cared? Wink

As they say in Spanish, "Si no te importa, no importa." (If you don't mind, it don't matter.) Very Happy

Well, this is all meant to be taken with more than a little bit of humor.  Sometimes, my sporadic OCD will zone-in on something that, given a different slant, wouldn't matter a bit.  For me, it HAS been fun, looking at this old cylinder/piston, and remember the days when they were new.

Great Times, then and now... Very Happy  Old Bugger
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:24 pm

Yup, doesn't matter. If someone showed up with a Cox .049 Space-Bug Jr. with a Sure Start Cylinder and piston set, tached it, showed it flying on a CL, FF, or RC plane, then posted it in the Cox Engine of the Month Contest, and it looked sharp, crankcase spit-shined to a non-stock mirror finish and plastic tank cleaned up nicely, who knows?

It could be a the Engine of the Month Winner. Shocked I've seen stranger things captivate people. What?

Life is not to be taken so seriously that we can't permit fun, outside the box permutations. Clean my glasses Eyebrows drunken Beer Cheers
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:14 pm

Over the years my collection of Cox engines have got so muddled up I have no idea what originally went with what.  The only exception is my original P40 Babe Bee, my first Cox engine.  Now I regret changing the head and losing track or which one the original is.  I didn't really need to replace the head, just thought it would be a good idea to renew it after I discovered Cox International and put an overhaul kit through it.
In a junk lot I bought I discovered an engine with horse shoe back plate that had a P40 cylinder.  I ought to go through my "non-special" engines and see if I can make up another "original" P40 using my first engine as a template.  Actually, the P40 cylinder found its way onto my first Tach Race engine (which has been in Kim's hands).  Didn't prove to be much of a performer.  The following race saw me swapping the P40 cylinder for a new Tee Dee copy from Bernie.  Ended up winning me the race Thumbs Up Thanks to Kim again!
Now I've got no idea where it went. Probably attached to some obscure engine in a box somewhere, waiting the be rediscovered.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:17 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Over the years my collection of Cox engines have got so muddled up I have no idea what originally went with what.  The only exception is my original P40 Babe Bee, my first Cox engine.  Now I regret changing the head and losing track or which one the original is.  I didn't really need to replace the head, just thought it would be a good idea to renew it after I discovered Cox International and put an overhaul kit through it.
In a junk lot I bought I discovered an engine with horse shoe back plate that had a P40 cylinder.  I ought to go through my "non-special" engines and see if I can make up another "original" P40 using my first engine as a template.  Actually, the P40 cylinder found its way onto my first Tach Race engine (which has been in Kim's hands).  Didn't prove to be much of a performer.  The following race saw me swapping the P40 cylinder for a new Tee Dee copy from Bernie.  Ended up winning me the race Thumbs Up Thanks to Kim again!
Now I've got no idea where it went.  Probably attached to some obscure engine in a box somewhere, waiting the be rediscovered.

Yeah Rod, THOSE were some DAYS!

I'm making an effort to sort and back up files from back then, and it comes as a bit of shock (maybe it shouldn't) at just how long this bunch has been having fun together!

The threat of permanently losing files is not as big a threat as just not being able to find them in the stack of drives on my desk.

Here's little flash back:

More RR-1 Stuff...The OTHER Cylinder/Piston is Installed - Page 2 2014_110

More RR-1 Stuff...The OTHER Cylinder/Piston is Installed - Page 2 Class_10

More RR-1 Stuff...The OTHER Cylinder/Piston is Installed - Page 2 1_112

More RR-1 Stuff...The OTHER Cylinder/Piston is Installed - Page 2 1_245

More RR-1 Stuff...The OTHER Cylinder/Piston is Installed - Page 2 2_215

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2