Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Nitro Fuel To Deliver to fiji Islands - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Nitro Fuel To Deliver to fiji Islands - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 5:20 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Nitro Fuel To Deliver to fiji Islands - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Nitro Fuel To Deliver to fiji Islands

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Nitro Fuel To Deliver to fiji Islands - Page 2 Empty Re: Nitro Fuel To Deliver to fiji Islands

Post  Levent Suberk Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:07 pm

I tried ethanol with a Babe Bee, but no success.
Levent Suberk
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Nitro Fuel To Deliver to fiji Islands - Page 2 Empty Re: Nitro Fuel To Deliver to fiji Islands

Post  balogh Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:59 pm

I think only methanol burns self sustainably in the presence of platinum and iridium on the glow filament, as these materials act as caralyzers in the burning process of methanol... ethanol will have a flame out after the glow plug is disconnected from the battery, if ignites in our engines at all.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  qaz049 Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:16 pm

balogh wrote: I think only  methanol burns self sustainably in the presence of platinum and iridium on the glow filament, as these materials act as caralyzers in the burning process of methanol... ethanol will have a flame out after the glow plug is disconnected from the battery, if ignites in our engines at all.

Actually Ethanol can work fine in a glow engine. In some cases it can be used to completely replace the Methanol component. It's often used in fuel designed for range/economy in control line glow motors. I've tried it myself in B Class Team Racer engines. It's a myth that only Methanol responds as a catalyzer in glow fuel. It's something that happens with all the Hydro-Carbons. In fact that's why our catalytic converters work in cars.

Compared with Methanol, Ethanol requires more compression and a hotter plug. A little extra Nitro methane may also help.

None of this is likely to help the OP with his Fiji problem. Can I suggest trying a range of New Zealand Hobby Shops to see if any would post to Fiji. NZ is the closest first world nation to him and holds the most likely solution. Are there any model fliers on New Caledonia, Tonga or Samoa?
qaz049
qaz049
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:28 am

Thanks for the clarifications, I thought ethanol was not working...but if so, and because it may be cheaper and less toxic than methanol and needs only a bit higher compression ratio, I wonder why it has not replaced methanol in glow engines?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  qaz049 Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:07 am

balogh wrote:Thanks for the clarifications, I thought ethanol was not working...but if so, and because it may be cheaper and less toxic than methanol and needs only a bit higher compression ratio, I wonder why it has not replaced methanol in glow engines?

It's not cheaper than Methanol. Where I live it's at least double the price. Engines and glowplugs have been developed to suit Methanol. Ethanol can give a little more economy. The down side is it's almost invisible fires.
qaz049
qaz049
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:40 am

the kamtechnik heads will give the extra compression
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:53 am

OS produced a few ethanol engines for a time. https://www.os-engines.co.jp/english/2007spring-summer/max55axbe/index.htm They did use unique glow plugs, but I'm not sure how they differed.
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:42 am

balogh wrote:I wonder why it has not replaced methanol in glow engines?

I wonder why as well… There must be some practical reason…. Interestingly, Ethanol has a higher btu content than methanol….

Nitro Fuel To Deliver to fiji Islands - Page 2 7bb4db10
rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gkamysz Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:25 am

Methanol is cheaper, air fuel ratio is more tolerant, vapor pressure is higher (easier starting), latent heat is greater (more fuel cooling), BTU/ air fuel ratio makes more power. Supposedly there is a catch with selling ethanol based fuel and not being taxed as liquor in the US. Overall, it's much easier to start, tune, and keep an engine alive. I messed around with E85 and spark in some .40 size stuff years ago, it worked fine. I only tried E85 and glow once in a stock FS-52, and it was low on compression. Same setup with spark ran great.

Glow even works with gas. OS currently makes a few engines for gas glow. I setup an FS-120S with a Walbro carb and the G5 plug. It also needs more compression.

Engines can burn a lot of hydrocarbons, but need to be optimized for the fuel. I have converted four strokes to diesel.....

I don't think Ethanol has been used as a model fuel outside of B Team Race. https://members.optusnet.com.au/~smithlw/Site%202/Fuel%20Developments.html

The OS BE engines were supposedly for the South American market where ethanol fuel for vehicles was common. Maybe people there ran ethanol in model engines enough that OS thought a specific product was worth it. Anyone have any practical knowledge? When these engines were released, I remember reading on a forum that ethanol was fading in Brazil and people were buying gas cars.
gkamysz
gkamysz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Nitro Fuel To Deliver to fiji Islands - Page 2 Empty Gasoline prices in the south pacific

Post  706jim Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:51 pm

I'm visiting Rarotonga in the south pacific. Just thought I'd mention fuel prices here $3.08/liter in New Zealand dollars. No idea if there is any sort of modelling community here.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2