Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Ha-HAAA!!! Guilt works again! Cox_ba12

Ha-HAAA!!! Guilt works again! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Ha-HAAA!!! Guilt works again! Empty
Live on Patrol

Ha-HAAA!!! Guilt works again!

Go down

Ha-HAAA!!! Guilt works again! Empty Ha-HAAA!!! Guilt works again!

Post  batjac Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:29 pm

I’ve mentioned before that I’m building a homebuilt Challenger II airplane.  See example below:

Ha-HAAA!!! Guilt works again! Challenger-II

But, at only 10 gallons fuel and 65-70 MPH cruise speed, it’s not a plane you can really travel in.  Certainly not what my wife would travel in.  My son says he is moving from Oregon to Nashville in a couple of years, and I have the wife sold on the idea of a plane we could hop in and fly over to visit the son and the grandkids.  I fly under Sport Pilot rules, and have been looking at the current line of Light Sport category planes.  None of them really excite me and make me see myself flying them.  For travelling, I’m a Cessna guy.  I prefer high wing aircraft, and have flown C150/152’s, C170/172’s, and C182’s.  I think 182’s are trucks and no fun to fly.  I’d like to have a 152, but they’re a little cramped on me nowadays.  A 172 is about the right plane.  But 172 prices are incredibly ridiculous right now, and all the ones I could afford have at least 5-6,000 hours on the airframe and are a 1/2 to 2/3’s of the way to TBO.  So they are out.  Which made me feel like I’d never have a travelling plane, let alone a new plane.  A new C172 is around $650,000 last time I looked.

I have recently been looking very hard at a plane called a Vashon Ranger.  

Ha-HAAA!!! Guilt works again! Ranger-R7

It checks all the boxes and would fill the bill nicely.  It’s all metal vs. composite like all the current popular LSA models.  It has a Continental O-200 engine vs. a Rotax 912 like the other popular LSA aircraft.  I know the 912 is a good engine, but I never really felt comfortable behind the 912 in my Murphy Renegade.  The O-200 platform has been around since 1947.  Can’t beat that for reliability.  Besides, if the 912 ever needs work or an annual, you have to go to a Rotax certified mechanic.  The O-200 can be serviced by any A&P in any tiny town airport.  And, since I figure that I probably only have around 15 more years of flying in me, I’ll probably sell the plane before it reaches TBO and needs a rebuild.

The base model is amazing to me.  Even though I prefer analog gauges, it comes with a nice glass panel.  All the bells and whistles you’d ever need, and more than covers the basic required functions.  Even comes with an auto-pilot, though I don’t see using it unless I take the wife on a long trip.  I like to fly the plane, not be flown by the plane.  As an added bonus, it’s a joystick instead of a control yoke.  There are many other features that I like about it, but I won’t bore Y’all with the details.  Just say that this looks like the plane I’ve been wanting for a long time.

We inherited some property all the way across the country about eight years ago, and finally got around to selling it last month.  When we were talking about selling it, my wife asked if I wanted to use some of the money to buy a plane.  I declined, as I didn’t see any plane that I’d want to spend the money on.  See above.  But now, I see a plane that I want.  And we can buy it brand new, not used and abused.  Yes, it’d be a huge chunk of change.  But airplanes actually hold their value very well, and when we eventually sell it I should be able to recover most of the purchase price, the way airplane prices are going.  In the long run, it’d be a net wash.  So I told the wife that when I lose X pounds of weight, we would put money down on a plane.  I was figuring about a year out.  That’d give me time to start selling off most of my hobby stuff, and maybe the fun car.  Don’t worry, I’ll still hold on to plenty of Cox engines.

So, where does the guilt come in?  My wife has had several surgeries lately.  A couple by choice, and a knee surgery for preventive reasons.  She’s telling me she wants another elective surgery this spring.  But, seeing as she’s been laid up at home a lot and not able to get out on her own, she’s not done any Christmas shopping.  Me being the good husband that I am, I’ve slowly been picking up things over the year and squirreling them away.  I’ve wrapped them up and put them under the tree one at a time over the last couple of weeks, and last night I did a present dump and filled the space under the tree with presents for her.  Whenever she’s asked me what I want for Christmas the last few weeks I’ve always told her, “I just want to wake up Christmas morning next to you.”  Which is actually true, corny as that sounds.

So this morning she comes out to the living room and sees all the presents for her.  I came out a few minutes later, and she tells me that she didn’t get me anything other than a couple of little things we bought together and she feels guilty.  I repeated that all I want is to wake up next to her tomorrow.  That still didn’t make her happy.  So, she says, “After the taxes get done, we can buy you your airplane.”

Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

I hadn’t even thought of guilting her into an airplane.  But who am I to say “No” to something that’ll make her happy.  Happy Wife, Happy Life, as the saying goes.

So we’ll see. I may have a new plane in about a year.  And at 60, this is the time to do it before I get too old.

The Aviator Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Ha-HAAA!!! Guilt works again! Empty Re: Ha-HAAA!!! Guilt works again!

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:18 pm

That Ranger is a nice plane, Mark.

I've given up on being a real pilot. The model planes and motorcycles fill that need.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:51 am

That sounds Great Mark ! You and your wife have such an good relationship in this day and time something ya just don't see anymore . Santa Get it before it gets to late Old Bugger
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:19 pm

Reminds me of 1957 when my wife and I sat in an old Stinson Voyager for sale asking $750.00. Old little used airport near Pensacola Florida.

About a week ago an item appeared on my news feed - something like Best low Priced airplanes. I think the Ranger was among them, but I can't find it now.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:45 am

Well, I did it.  I bought a plane on Thursday.  I didn't go with the Ranger.  There were none in my area to look at.  I did look at the RV-12, but it didn't suit me.  What did suit me was the Flight Design CTLS.  It has a pretty good useful load (605 lb.), a really large fuel load (34 gallons), and a really good cabin width (49 in.).  It has a max economy cruise range with reserve of 2000km.  And maybe the best added bonus, it runs on Premium auto gas.  That's $2.64/gal for auto gas vs. $7.50/gal for Avgas.  I had seen the CTLS from time to time at airshows and Fly-Ins, but never really looked at them.  But the local pilots all told me to give them a look.  The North American distributor for Flight Design is here in Tulsa, and there're a lot hangared and flying in the local area.  From talking to people and reading, they seem like a good traveling plane in that at max cruise the plane cruises at 138 MPH at 24 MPG.  The forums and online reviews talk about guys flying them across the country, which is good.  But talking to the shop that did my pre-buy inspection, there's a local Flight Design pilot who's flown his as far north as Alaska, and as far south as Peru.  So my regional flights should not be taxing on the plane.

And here she is:

Ha-HAAA!!! Guilt works again! 20240118-152135
Ha-HAAA!!! Guilt works again! 20240118-152251

The Plane Poor Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:40 am

That's a real beauty there Mark. Be safe and congratulations to you and your wife on this special purchase. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:49 am

Wow, I love the wide-body/skinny look. Carbon Fiber? Wing tip deflectors, auto-gas. What's not to love. Will we be seeing a model soon?

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:46 am

Hi Mark, congratulations, your plane is beautiful. Aeromodelically speaking, from what can be seen in the photos, it has a very stylized aerodynamic line, which achieves less resistance and lower fuel consumption, the round lines and thin fuselage towards the tail, also offers less resistance to cross wind, which which makes it much less shaken in flight with lateral or cross winds, the controls become more docile and effective.
This very aerodynamics of the fuselage also helps to ensure that external noises penetrate less into the cabin.
The three-blade propeller at high rpm achieves less resistance and greater flight smoothness, sound and rpm ratio.
The profiled wheels fairings also significantly help the penetration and low drag of the aircraft. When there is an emergency, everything that is external is parasitic resistance that, when perfectly covered, significantly reduces this factor, achieving greater sustainability of the plane.
It has great visibility from the inside, at least that is what can be seen from here, that is beautiful not only for flight safety, but also for the enjoyment of the panoramic view.
The lower part of the rudder is another wind line channel, making the stabilizer always maintain a clean and constant even air flow, which is very effective from the command at high and low flight speeds.
Some of the appreciations that I can see...I really enjoyed it!!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:08 am

Great analysis Mauricio.

Poetry in motion.

Ha-HAAA!!! Guilt works again! Flight10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:02 pm

NICE!!

Congrats, that’s a beautiful airplane! Reasonable payload, and how about that fuel economy. Nothing on the road will do 138MPH for 24MPG, pretty impressive.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:51 pm

Good for you, Mark!

24 MPG? That is in Triumph TR6 range. But 24 MPG at 138? The TR6 can't touch that. Shoot...the given load capacities are about the same. Maybe I should follow your lead, but then I'd have to start paying for flying lessons...and I'm almost done paying for my oldest boy's lessons. No, I won't let him fly MY plane. He still owes me for "fostering the un-started frame-off TR6 rebuild."

I've been half-tempted to build my own, and even selected which one. While not as feature-rich, nor as load-capable as yours, the Corby Starlet looks like I could handle the build in my garage.

I just have to say it again...Good for you, Mark!
So how long before you build a tribute CL model plane?
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:09 pm

No model. I've no interest in doing molded carbon fiber models. I looked, and Freewing Models sold a scale CTLS about ten years ago, but I don't see any for sale now.

Jim, the Starlet is a good classic homebuilt you can get dirt-side up in. VW power or a Jabaru. If I were not a, hrmm..., bigger pilot, I'd look at one myself.

The Over-Built Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:27 pm

Congrats Mark, that aircraft is aerodynamically slick, has a fixed landing gear making for simplicity, and looks small enough to save you hangar costs. Thumbs Up

I dropped by Tulsa on the way home a month ago, interesting city. Gas stop off the I-44 was interesting at night. I noticed a couple cops inside the building plus filled with many homies, probably be intimidating to some, but being around motorcyclists of all types, didn't phase me as much. Got me gas and coffee, and was off on my way.

The smooth curves would make it difficult to model in balsa, but the plane could make an easily built profile control line model, Cox powered of course. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:42 pm

Congratulations Mark!!! Hand Shake That's quite exciting!!! Flying
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:12 pm

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down