Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! Cox_ba12

"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by balogh Yesterday at 11:55 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:36 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 10:51 pm

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Yesterday at 7:41 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Yesterday at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! Empty
Live on Patrol

"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys!

Go down

"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! Empty "Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys!

Post  Kim Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:14 am

From my Facebook Page:
-------------------------------------

January 4th, 2024

Got the shop heated up early yesterday, with the intent of getting Mark's Kadet, "Big Blue", totally up and ready for this coming Saturday's "Frozen Fingers Fun Fly" at Breezy Hill.

I settled in for the tedious work of running wires and installing aileron servos, and getting all the gadgets to talk to each other.  I'd decided to use a "Y" harness for the ailerons to free up a port on the receiver, so set up their servos with some mechanical differential that high wing trainers like to have.

As my hero, Al Painton often says, "When an airplane looks like it's 95% ready, it's REALLY more like 60% ready", and this is gospel truth.

Things went pretty quickly though, and I had all of it working by early afternoon.  The wind had calmed from a cold front shift moving through (though it picked up quite a bit later), giving me a sunny, 47° day  So, the radio and three of my GoPros were charged up for Big Blue's first flight.

The grass in the cow lot and pasture was pretty workable, but I decided to do the takeoff's from the front yard 'cause I'm lazy, and walked out to the pasture for landings.

The O.S. engine was cold-soaked and didn't want to fire, so a dose of lighter fluid was shot down its throat, and off we went.

The first takeoff was shallow, and I was ready to put it in the pasture across the road if the O.S. croaked.  The battered .60 kept running though, and I brought the trainer around up high as I walked to the pasture, trimming the plane as I went.  

The flight was very "Kadetish", with low/slow floaty passes down the pasture, and big barnstormer loops up high.  Rolls were exactly what youu'd expect...slow...with rudder helping things along.  Spins were easy to get into and out of, though moving the balance point back a bit ought to make things more "snappy".

On the second launch, I hauled in some aggressive elevator, and the old trainer jumped off the ground and climbed out at just shy of 60 degrees, so the O.S. REALLY looks like a good idea.

It can for sure have some forward ballast removed, get its low-end throttle setting brought down as bit more, and a larger nose wheel added, but that's all down the road.

Big Blue is now part of the Fleet, and I'm waiting for the Lazy Bee's new engine mount to arrive.

Saturday ought to be fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk5hG9hB-QM&t=3s

"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! 9_112
"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! 0_143
"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! 3_213
"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! 806_110
"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! 925_10
"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! 986_10

"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! 760_10
"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! 765_10

Being a basically lazy person, I naturally tried to taxi Big Blue through the pasture grass and back to the front yard so I wouldn't have to carry the greasy thing.  Unfortunately,, sustained full power only succeeded in blowing out one of its windows.

It's all good though...that's why God created clear Monokote!

"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! 855_110

"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! 8_120
"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! 106_112
"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! 108_111
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! Empty Re: "Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys!

Post  Mike1484 Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:45 am

Hi Kim,
Thanks for posting your pictures and video. Very inspiring. I have one of those blue Kadet Seniors sitting in a box in my workshop and will have to put it together some day. Notice I said put together and not build. I would like to know what type of cameras you are using on your plane. I don't see much talk on here about the cameras that people use to record their airplane flights or pictures.
Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! Empty Re: "Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys!

Post  Kim Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:45 pm

Mike1484 wrote:Hi Kim,
Thanks for posting your pictures and video. Very inspiring. I have one of those blue Kadet Seniors sitting in a box in my workshop and will have to put it together some day. Notice I said put together and not build. I would like to know what type of cameras you are using on your plane. I don't see much talk on here about the cameras that people use to record their airplane flights or pictures.
                               Mike1484

Thanks Mike!

On larger planes, I typically use the cube-shaped GoPro "Hero Session" cameras on a dedicated mount, or simply scotch-taped to the plane.  Sometimes, I'll tape them to a balsa "selfie stick" for a different perspective, and rubberband the stick to a wing.

"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! Dsc_0180

On the smaller planes, I use "key fob spy cameras" I got from Ebay.  The style of these cameras has changed to resemble more modern (larger) key fobs, but I really like the small, flat versions (and REALLY hope mine survive a while longer!).

"Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! 1_26

I use a somewhat ancient Windows Movie Maker program that I really like because I've been able to mostly figure it out.

I made this video about 10 years ago (before I got the Hero Session cameras), showing the types I used, and how I attached them to my 2 Meter Bird of Time sailplane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jgeDMRvTJU&t=47s
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:50 pm

Thanks Kim, I hope others follow up with some info on their picture/movie taking like you. I'm not real savvy on this picture taking but I would like to send some pictures of my planes and engines. I have a hard time figuring out the proper way to send photos and pictures here. Sometimes my wife helps me. She knows her way around the computer better than me.
                                                                  Thanks again...
                                                                                   Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:41 am

Have you seen this Mike > https://www.coxengineforum.com/t9504-how-to-post-an-image-in-a-topic-updated-3-10-2016?highlight=how+to+post+images  ? That .60 was hauling pretty good Kim love the smoke trail "Big Blue"...the Sig Kadet Senior Finally Flys! Scree112
Yep the landing gear is jumping around pretty bad and large frt. wheel but other than that getting it ready and fling in the same day is a achievement. That is a Senior Kadet ? The smaller ones call for 35-45 ? engine i think . hope you guys have some good weather on Saturday calling for rain here.
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:34 am

I have copied the link and will get my wife to walk me thru it. Thanks for the help.
Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:01 pm

Hey Eric!

When Mark gave it to me, it had an O.S. L.A. .40 on it.  I got plans to tow flags and drop rolls of toilet paper...AND...that old .60 looked awful lonely in the engine drawer!

I talked to Mark on the phone last night, and he was concerned that I might be blasting around at full throttle in level flight. Huh... Huh...  I assured him that wouldn't happen!

I've got some much heavier gear struts that are probably gonna go on the plane when I get the chance/mood to do it!  I MAY have to do some surgery, and replace the torsion block in the plane's belly...it looks a little wimpy.

Thank you for the well-wishes on the Frozen Fingers Fun Fly...there WILL be a report!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:48 am

Well i have to ask what do you or and Mike think will happen if you go blasting the OS .60 around at full throttle ?? I have a .60 not sure if its a OS or Enya that i put a new set of rings in a few decade's ago LOL Never did run it but its still there . Kim do you have plenty of landing gear reshaped wire/plate gear ? Reason i asked I have quite a few that are doing nothing / people don't buy this stuff much on eBay .. Oh and this sounds interesting (( I got plans to tow flags and drop rolls of toilet paper. )) If its a secret that's OK Happy New Year Snowman Hope ya'll got chili for lunch today to go with all that fun !!! Snowman Sleet this morning Sad)
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:40 am

Hi Eric,
     I'm not a fan of overpowering a Kadet Senior and prefer anything like a .29 to .45 sport glow engine or a .45 to .60 old school four stroke. The K&B .40 is an ideal fit with the Senior and the Mark I and II Kadets. My Senorita had a O.S. Max .25 FSR that I ran glow and with a Davis Diesel head on it. The landing gear on the Kadets always seem to be an issue for me and can be fixed by adding extra wire or replacing with aluminum gear. i think that my issues come from enjoying touch and goes and using my Kadets as trainers for our club. My wife was the first women to get her level "A" proficiency rating in our club flying a Kadet Senior. As far as using a .60 or a high-power engine on a Kadet (like a Rossi .45) just make sure the wing is secure and watch out for any flutter of the flying surfaces.  
                                              Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:19 am

Thanks Mike that sounds about right since they are hi wing jobs , I have a Senorita I got at a swap meet came with a Royal .25 on it gave it to my son but he has yet to do anything with it . I would image he is waiting on me to put some gear in it and remove and clean the engine LOL Happy New Year
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down