Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 Cox_ba12

ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:37 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:16 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Today at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 Empty Re: ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today

Post  Mike1484 Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:18 am

Squirt some alcohol into the fuel feed line and see if it comes out the two openings. It should dry out if it doesn't come out. i think they are vents for the fuel tank. Just a guess on my part but better than cutting into the fuselage to find out. Nice little biplane.
                                                            Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 Empty Re: ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:26 am

Mike1484 wrote:Squirt some alcohol into the fuel feed line and see if it comes out the two openings. It should dry out if it doesn't come out. i think they are vents for the fuel tank. Just a guess on my part but better than cutting into the fuselage to find out. Nice little biplane.
                                                            Mike1484

My thought too Mike.  Fill the tank through the engines fuel line and let the vents do their thing.  Messy and troublesome but an option, maybe the only option. Hopefully the vents are tightly secured to the tank.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:52 pm

About it.  90% as found.

Had to build a new vertical stab/rudder.  Only sorta matching paint I had on-hand was some old latex trim which I slopped on to match.  I had to cut the control-line lead-outs to get them out of the guide.  Music wire.  My side cutter wouldn't cut them had to get out the lineman's.  I do not know how the original builder got such nice bends.

ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 P1017196
ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 P1017197
ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 P1017198
ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 P1017199
ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 P1017200
ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 P1017201

Some of my other smashed "saves" left mostly as the original builder built them.  Orange speed plane has a Freddie built engine in the nose.  T-28 was crushed in transit.  Two of them are Scientific hollow logs.  All engines removed and cleaned.  All had smashed tail sections except the white speed plane.  Others are in the loft or hanging from the ceiling.  

ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 P1017203
ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 P1017204
ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 P1017202
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rdw777 Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:05 pm

Nice looking lineup on the apron with the new Beech up front….. Engine and front end cleaned up nicely…. Orange plane looks fast just sitting there, With an engine branded “Freddie built” I’m sure it is Very Happy ….Restoring them to “as they were” reveals much about their first lives…. I’m sure they would have interesting stories to tell if it were possible…

rdw777
rdw777
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:24 am

rsv1cox wrote:I do not know how the original builder got such nice bends.
Bob, those music wire lead out lines look like they may have been factory formed hooks. I bet it was part of the pre-fabrication by the company that made this Beechcraft 17 kit. It may have been a selling point of theirs. A tip off is that both front and back leads have the same direction hook, toward the front. If it were me, I would have done the back opposite the front, both would be mirror images of each other instead of duplicate.

For me, I used a slightly smaller diameter music wire that was easier to bend, yet strong enough for flight.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:40 am

It's possible George, the lead-out end has that nice bend that "guides" the leadout into the opening.  But, still they have to go through the struts guide holes and the bellcrank.  Can't do that with bends.

This is artestry: I had to cut them with a Dremel cut-off disk.

ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 Beech_14

The only model that I have not been able to determine the CG.  Oh, it's there alright, I just can't position the sticks close enough with out it tipping fore or aft.  It's just too precise, somewhere about a half inch back of the leading edge on the bottom wing.  Staggerwing, bottom wing is ahead of the top wing.  

For the picture, I did not position the bevels right as they are 90 out.

ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 P1017206

A little on the heavy side.  Got to weigh the Ok Cub against a Cox Babe Bee.

ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 P1017205

That horizontal stab and elevator is a story in itself.  Broken off, half glued wrong, cloth hinges wrong, control arm wrong, OMG.  Smile  I'm beginning to wonder how many lives this model had.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:53 am

rsv1cox wrote:It's possible George, the lead-out end has that nice bend that "guides" the leadout into the opening.  But, still they have to go through the struts guide holes and the bellcrank.  Can't do that with bends.
It can during construction, when all is exposed and prior to strut and upper wing final assembly. The hint is that the bellcrank end of the lead out wires are cleanly bent like factory, but the outer end where the fly lines are connected appear to be less consistent and less "polished", owner bent.

The full fuselage Beech is a thing of beauty no doubt. I think I remember seeing an early Scientific catalog ad with Walt Musciano's hollow log Beechcraft 17 bipe.

Although Sig's profile Beech still builds into a nice looking model, nothing beats the full fuselage in this case.

You did a nice job in bringing it to a finish. Did you ever find the story on the fuel tank fill and vent openings?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:30 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:It's possible George, the lead-out end has that nice bend that "guides" the leadout into the opening.  But, still they have to go through the struts guide holes and the bellcrank.  Can't do that with bends.
It can during construction, when all is exposed and prior to strut and upper wing final assembly. The hint is that the bellcrank end of the lead out wires are cleanly bent like factory, but the outer end where the fly lines are connected appear to be less consistent and less "polished", owner bent.

The full fuselage Beech is a thing of beauty no doubt. I think I remember seeing an early Scientific catalog ad with Walt Musciano's hollow log Beechcraft 17 bipe.

Although Sig's profile Beech still builds into a nice looking model, nothing beats the full fuselage in this case.

You did a nice job in bringing it to a finish. Did you ever find the story on the fuel tank fill and vent openings?

Thanks George, nothing solid but speculation says it's the reason the builder left the fuel tubing so long instead of containing it within the cowl.  Makes it easy to fuel through it.

ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 Beech_15

Duanes illustration shows the decals that Scientific used, just like on the factory builts.

ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 Bc_sw_10

That tail section was a mess.

ebay Beechcraft Staggerwing project arrives today - Page 2 Stag_w12

Edit add; It just hit me........that round blob - maybe hot melt glue?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2