Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Cox_ba12

Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joe Wagners Sioux
by Ken Cook Today at 7:35 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Today at 6:26 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:16 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Today at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Empty
Live on Patrol

Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

LOL Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion

Post  davidll1984 Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:00 am

The model should weigh approximately between 39g complete Shocked Now I'm wondering which engine would be better tee dee .010 or tee dee .020? The model uses a 5" propeller so a .020 dee tee would be ideal if I can get it into the fuselage maybe it's too powerful? Or too heavy I don't know yet I ordered the model it seems to me to be built solid and capable of withstand small crashes certainly more solid than a Guilow model I would even say that I believe he could make a good control Line model I really love my Tiger Moth and I know that the model can be a little heavier without too much influencing its performance. This model of plane is very easy to fly, capable of flying very slowly, which helps with landing. It is an easy plane to pilot and easy to predict its behavior. I don't know how this model will be but I have the impression that it would be a good candidate for a simple easy conversion of course several modifications will be necessary but I believe it will be simple Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Scree177
I am curious to know what you think of this project and whether it is viable in your opinion. ?? 🤔
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

LOL Re: Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion

Post  balogh Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:45 am

Hi David,

I would try it with an 010 TeeDee. My Lil SpeeDee weighs 145 grams, a monoplane, and the 010 pulls it with authority.

balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:35 pm

Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Scree178

if my Approximate calculation  are correct it would be possible to add weight to this model of 400mm according to the tests carried out on a larger model of almost 30" but I believe that a margin of error of 10% less on the initial number would be perfect I believe that this type of fuselage can be lightened And at the same time help the center of gravity without having to add weight . the wings with that air foil same as To the wings On my larger model the wings are similarly curved to offer good lift and help the model to fly slowlyFound a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17092310

this model was initially supposed to weigh no more than 400 grams or less I will have to check carefully over time He gained weight almost 55% From its initial weight probably more around 60% but it still flies well not like the first day but stil fly quite Good A 55% higher weight would result in a weight of 46 grams So I should stay under 50 grams for the plane to fly well i tink but I must be able to keep it light
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:00 am

The little tiger has arrived, I can't wait to start building this little plane which I am going to motorize with the famous tee dee .010 I am going to publish the progress of the construction with the details I'm going to make a publication dedicated to this project when I have time today I'm working on a special part for a boat engine that I'm going to build soon it's a small hydroplane I'm making a water-cooled cylinder jacket i Make a 2 in one exhaust manifold fitted with a water cooling Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17102414
Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17102415
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:24 am

For the receiver it will be 4 channel I hope to be able to use this ultra mini receiver if everything works it would be the lightest option its Incredibly small Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17104310
Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Scree188
What I like less, however, is the fact of having to solder the wires. It's really that someone who wants to use it has to have the tools and skills for this project. A good magnifying glass would be almost essential
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:54 pm

It wasn't easy but luckily I have good eyes And a good hand i wil test it soon RC Plane cheers Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17104311
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:48 am

This little receiver is really more than I thought And even has telemetry functions I hope to be able to use it its one of the smallest I have found I hope the signal range will be sufficient!! ??? Pray Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Scree189
Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17105110
Here we can see the size of a servo motor of only 1.7 grams it is almost bigger than the receiver and unfortunately has the wrong connector it is too big for the receiver but luckily I have connectors that I had changed on another servo which is the right model for sure the smallest plug that exists in the hobby world
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

LOL A big problem for such a small plane

Post  davidll1984 Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:47 pm

As I began to measure and check the weight, I quickly realized that I was facing a small size problem.
When I measured the entire weight of the .010 engine and all the components of the 4 channel RC system including the mini lipo battery the weight is 30 grams and this is the weight that the entire plane should weigh So I will have to only use throttle elevator and ruder And I don't really like this
idea 💡 Suddenly the whole project seems less viable to me, yes it will fly but not as I had planned Yes a small excess weight is acceptable and would change the flying characteristics of the plane but not for the better in the case of landing without power The plane must remain stable at low speed and have good control authority. but the plane Heavier will have to keep a good speed What the tiger moth is not the best for So I'm trying to save as much weight as possible I don't know how much the plane weighs alone, I think I should test it anyway It's not the engine that will lack power but the capacity of the plane . Can be with larger, longer wings Huh... I'll see how things progress but maybe I'll have to modify more than I thought at the beginning
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:54 am

This morning after some measurements and calculations I believe that the model is still viable. I weighed the weight of the complete model not assembled without electronics and motor the weight of the wood and all the rest is approximately 19 grams plus 30 gram for the rest of component. I base my calculations on a model that I have already converted with the same cox engine but they were on 2 s with more power than this tiger moth model Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Scree196
I remember the plane works well but without the throttle much faster than with the brushless motor And the landing without power was a little difficult The plane was heavy compared to the tiger moth So I think there is still a chance that I will be pleasantly surprised by this tiger moth model I think I have to ignore the suggested weight of this model originally built for gymnasiums and indoor flights. I think that heavier it will just be better for the exterior and with the elerons it will be better .... Small Cox Logo  Babe Bee .049  Give it a powerful heart capable of taking this plane to unrivaled peaks of performance. RC Plane
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:09 am

Hi David, It's been years since I've looked into flight batteries. I was going to make a recommendation.. but I'm sure that you've checked out your options.

Last edited by roddie on Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : was going to recommend LiFe batt.. but LiPo is probably lighter weight..)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:44 pm

roddie wrote:Hi David, It's been years since I've looked into flight batteries. I was going to make a recommendation.. but I'm sure that you've checked out your options.
Well I took a very small one but I think I should be table to find an even smaller one But I prefer to have a larger power reserve than necessary Even if I am limited on weight I will still use a larger tank with a larger fuel reserve Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17118310
The little 1cel lipo is 100 mah I don't know the capacity of the fuel tank but the one I found is the smallest that I could make, and its very light and very thin, made with a small can of beard trimmer oil.
The engine will be placed with the cylinder upside down so the original tank is unusable Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17118311
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:03 pm

Here is the motor that I will use with the rc control I hope I don't damage the engine by using it upside down.
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:20 pm

After doubts about the size I decided to move forward. and build the model regardless. so once finished I will know if it works hopefully He should fly Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Img_2443 This thing is smal 😁Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Img_2444
Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Img_2445

The engine is just the right size for the fuselage but fits tightly the tank integrated into the engine mount is too wide so i wil use the smal backplate
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:34 pm

The engine is just the right size for the fuselage but fits tightly the tank integrated into the engine support is too wide Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Img_2446
I had fun drawing the pieces to give a color without adding weight, I decided to use permanent pencils Very Happy Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Img_2447
The fuel tank is big but proportional to what I use in my .049 tiger moth I would like to find a smaller one Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Img_2448
The complete unfinished model with everything necessary weighs 23 grams I estimate a total once finished of 60 grams plus the fuel ?
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:44 pm

,........,........................................................Small Cox Logo To be continued Small Cox Logo..........................................
Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Img_2449
Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17121810
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:19 am

The installation of the motor is just perfect, it needs a little modification inside the fuselage, I used the good old dremel Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17123210
Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17123310
Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17123311
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:32 am

Looking GREAT David!!! Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:56 am

Now the motor is screwed onto the motor mounting plate, all that remains is to adjust the right and down trust angles This is what it will look like from below. its Good that the starter spring fit Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Img_2450
Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Img_2451
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:18 pm

There's still a lot of work to do but I'm making progress. the installation of the needle which I believe should be just long enough to exit the fuselage near the propeller. I have make as much interior space as possible to make room for the gas tube wit the dremel Hollowing out carving the inside When I build a model I always start this way, install the engine in the fuselage, not finish to simplify everything must be thought through and planned As I build I check the center of gravity by approximately placing things in the fuselage where it could be placed the wings need to be modified for the ailerons throttle servo All of those parts placed to take advantage of placing the center of gravity exactly where it should be without adding extra weight. RC Plane I think I really used the smallest components and a very small model that I wonder if it would not be one of the smallest nitro rc plane ever built ?? RC Plane Airplane
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:32 pm

Its so smal it make dificult To work on this thing Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049
Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17123410
Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17123411
Stil making progrès
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:13 pm

Yes, TD .010 projects really teach you along the way to embrace the mindset of what small is all about.
The weight of the black 3x1.25 allows more rpm and helps to reduce wear to the ball socket / gap.
The flex will help save the firewall if it hits hard in the grass. Fuel tube around the NV to help seal /hold.

Small Cox Logo RC Plane Thumbs Up
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:51 am

1/2A Nut wrote:Yes, TD .010 projects really teach you along the way to embrace the mindset of what small is all about.
The weight of the black 3x1.25 allows more rpm and helps to reduce wear to the ball socket / gap.
The flex will help save the firewall if it hits hard in the grass. Fuel tube around the NV to help seal /hold.

Small Cox Logo RC Plane Thumbs Up
Thank you for the advice I think I have a new propeller from Cox international which is black I will then use this made the firewall in such a way that if the plane as a hard crashes the support should crack in the intended place the engine is placed so that it wil hidden it self in the cowling of the fuselage and it is the fuselage which will take the major part of the shock The more the project progresses the more I find the model heavy for its size but that doesn't worry me too much it should fly of course I could have not use a throttle and aileron but I really want the model to have 4channel don't mind sacrificing a little bit of their ability to glide.The descent with the engine off will just be faster  Huh... Hoping to have a better ratio than that of a space shuttle lol!
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

LOL Today I officially named my plane

Post  davidll1984 Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:51 am

Today I officially named my plane mrs unicorn and will be flown by a special pilot Laughing lol! Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Img_2458
Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion Img_2457
Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17128510
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:07 am

The Mrs Unicorn is looking Good with Snoopy at the helm you can't go wrong . That is a very small plane to try and get 4 channels into might bee better to go without the ailerons ? RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:00 am

getback wrote:The Mrs Unicorn is looking Good with Snoopy at the helm you can't go wrong . That is a very small plane to try and get 4 channels into might bee better to go without the ailerons ? RC Plane
Well anyway too late to go back I have already assembled with eleron But from what I have seen and what I know about the tiger moth is that without the elerons it is very difficult to pilot and loses a lot of maneuverability With the excess weight flying without it would be worse than adding 3.5 grams to activate them to do without it would be stupid and risky at the speed that the little tee dee .010 will make it fly I almost considered removing the throttle servomotor. But once again for better and more precise control I prefer to be able to control it and reduce the altitude gain with the engine speed the The Tiger Moth is likely to stall with too much power when taking off by hand throwing and you really have to compensate with the elevator What I prefer about the aileron is to turn with ruder while keeping the plane level with the aileron then minimizes the loss of altitude during turns and the risk of going into a spin spirale of death Difficult to get out with only ruder motor elevator the motor control would be of no use but the elerons yes Here is the explanation of why I am building it 4 channel with 5 servo motors but the craziest thing is being able to use components allowing me to do something that was impossible 10 years ago If everything works as planned despite the weight being double the initial weight which should be 30gram But in my opinion its wing is capable of lifting more weight at 60 gram it wil be fine i tink Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17129210
Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17129310
Found a posible rc plane for cox powered convertion 17129311
Currently I'm really taking my time I've assembled the wing and its time to balance the center of gravity with the electronic components Once finished the battery will be used to balance if necessary it will be removable and adjustable
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next