Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others Cox_ba12

dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:26 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others Empty
Live on Patrol

dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others

Go down

dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others Empty dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others

Post  robme Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:54 pm

I recently purchased these. I intend to keep a few and sell the rest.
I wonder if I should clean and test them on a bench before selling. Some of them don't look worth the effort.
Four of the Med's have plastic venturis, I guess this is a newer, less expensive model?
Two of the Meds and one TD have cracked venturi bodies. I guess those are just going to be for parts.
The OKs are pretty dirty, maybe I'll sell those "as is".
The Space Bug, with a home-made gasket, is missing parts, and the Thermal Bug is missing a NV. Is this the same NV as other engines?
The .09 TD has a throttle that is of no use to me being a CL flyer. Can I remove the throttle?
The .020 is missing the NVA, and the .010 has a cracked tank and is of no interest to me.
I look forward to your comments.
Thank you for allowing me to share. Not everyone appreciates these things.

Bobdozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others Img_1310
dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others Img_1312
dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others Img_1311
robme
robme
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others Empty Re: dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others

Post  robme Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:55 pm

dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others Img_1313
dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others Img_1314
dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others Img_1315
robme
robme
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others Empty Re: dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others

Post  robme Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:58 pm

dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others Img_1316
robme
robme
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:42 pm

Hello Nice pack of engines , I am interested in some of the one you have , Parts can bee gotten for most the engine but prices can get you going . Give me till tomorrow and I will get in touch wit you about working up a deal if you want ? Thanks talk then
Very Happy Small Cox Logo Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:49 pm

Nice haul, I would enjoy salvaging as many of them as possible. I would put the effort into the TeeDee-s with thin wall and stepped wall cylinders..these have taper bore and longer compression expectancy than non taper thick wall cylinders. The only 09 RC I see is a Medallion with the muffler tied to the RC carb, it is not TeeDee..the used and mauled 010 and 020 TeeDees with no carbs or broken tanks are also valued even if for parts only. 010 and 020 cylinder piston sets are unobtainium today, their cranks are also rarities. Some CEF folks here will certainly be interested if you ask for reasonable prices.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:12 pm

I would sell each one in "as found" condition.  Personally, that's the way that I buy them.

Amateur "cleanings" usually do more harm than good.  Not knowing your skills, model engines are most at risk two ways, when in flight and when a rookie get's his/her hands on one with an oversized screwdriver in one hand and a set of pliers in the other.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  robme Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:58 pm

balogh- Yes, the .09 is a Medallion, my mistake. I would be happy to pass along any of the "parts" engines to fellow members at a fair price.

rsv1- You make a good point. I need to be careful and "first do no harm". I am a handyman of a sort, but I haven't opened a glow engine in more than 50 years. And don't know if any of the ones I dismantled as a teenager survived the surgery. I will educate myself first, then cleanup and lubricate a few of the less valuable ones where I may make some mistakes. And finally, I'll start and chose the best of them to keep. These are all used engines, many of them modified. None of them appear to me to be in collectable condition.

I'm not only interested in selling some of the engines. I plan on using just a few for flying 1/2A models. I am interested in everything about Cox engines, just as many of you are. CL flying and glow engines were a big part of my childhood. And now I enjoy spending some of my retirement time pursuing interests and re-living experiences from my youth. So no, I don't want to just sell them as is.

As I look around this site, I can see way more information and many posts that are beyond my understanding or interest, I am a newbie to most of this. But this site is a treasure trove of information, a valuable resource for me, and I expect some of the members will be interested to hear about my exploits. Right now, I'm trying to learn how to identify a thin wall, stepped cylinder that balogh recommends.
robme
robme
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:44 pm

figure out which ones you want to keep.
keep 2 or 3 more like it for parts

get your paypal ready and spend lots of money with our 2 sponsors:
https://coxengines.ca
http://www.exmodelengines.com
they will have many of the parts you need.

Don't monkey with the motors till you read more, have right tools, etc.
you dont want to damage the motors, and then have nice paperweights

once you figure out what you want to keep?
Figure out what you want to sell.
this is a good place to sell, or, of course, fleBay is for maximum profit.

you have some nice ones. and? like me, you may sell of stuff, make $50, then 2 years later, which you had kept them all.
(can not believe I sold a metal "spook" endplate)

there's lots of fellers here who can give you great advice.
i say? get em flying

cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:28 pm

Hey robme, here is the.link to cylinder identification, but you will find the link on the left side of thus page direct

https://www.coxengineforum.com/h23-cylinder-identification
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  robme Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:26 pm

Thank you all for the good advice.
I have to clear my shop of some dusty woodworking projects before I have a clean space to work on these engines. So, there will be no progress reports for a little while.
There are a large number of posts on Youtube. Does anyone have a favorite Yuotube channel for engine repair demonstrations?
Bob
robme
robme
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:32 pm

here is one and you can ck search engines https://www.coxengineforum.com/search?search_keywords=cleaning+ Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others Empty Slide tbrottle

Post  Boats13 Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:53 pm

If you're serious about not using the throttle... I would be interested in it.
PM sent.
CT
Boats13
Boats13
Silver Member
Silver Member

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  robme Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:37 pm

Thank you, Eric and others. I've learned a lot about cylinder walls and engine cleaning. And I'm feeling more confident about restoring these.
I got a delivery of 1/2A fuel and a battery clip from Brodak. I found that no one sells the old style 1 1/2v hobby batteries like I used in the 70's. Thank heavens for Brodak and the few other hobby stores that still exist. Where would we be without them?
I haven't touched the fuel yet, but I did test the glow heads on the engines shown above. To my surprise, most of them were good. I didn't count, but it was about 75% that fired up. One head blew a puff of smoke and died.
robme
robme
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

So no, I don't want to just sell them as is.

Well good, you learn re-learn by doing. Nothing like a hands-on experience. Heat is usually your best friend when dis-assembling. Pliers are a no-no. Use the proper tools, a good fitting screwdriver is a necessity.

I buy used engines, by the hundreds over the years. The worst beat-up engines that I could find, but in my old age I have modified that a bit. Do a little research. It's just a lot of fun cleaning these engines up and restoring them to usable function.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down