Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Life expectancy of Tee Dee 010 Cox_ba12

Life expectancy of Tee Dee 010 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:49 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 7:20 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 4:02 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Life expectancy of Tee Dee 010 Empty
Live on Patrol

Life expectancy of Tee Dee 010

Go down

Life expectancy of Tee Dee 010 Empty Life expectancy of Tee Dee 010

Post  balogh Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:26 pm

Gents,

just in case anyone is interested my COX Tee Dee010 has so far run in my Roaring Twenty R/C plane (see in my Gallery) for alomost 50 or so hours with the compression and connecting rod balljoint clearance all as original...I can only think of the self-heailing effect of the castor oil in the fuel that forms an ultra-thin shellack-like layer on the mating parts thus separating the metal surfaces and preventing practically any engine wear.

I just retired the 010 temporarily to give way to a Tee Dee 020 in the same Roaring Twenty...boy, this plane flies beautifully when powered by a 010 but with uncle Tee Dee 020 this is a ball to fly.

COX remains the symbol of longevity, reliability and the etalon of technical era never seen anymore when the world relies on stuff made in China.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Life expectancy of Tee Dee 010 Empty Re: Life expectancy of Tee Dee 010

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:47 pm

balogh wrote:Gents,

just in case anyone is interested my COX
Tee Dee010 has so far run in my Roaring Twenty R/C plane (see in my
Gallery) for alomost 50 or so hours with the compression and connecting
rod balljoint clearance all as original...I can only think of the
self-heailing effect of the castor oil in the fuel that forms an
ultra-thin shellack-like layer on the mating parts thus separating the
metal surfaces and preventing practically any engine wear.

I just
retired the 010 temporarily to give way to a Tee Dee 020 in the same
Roaring Twenty...boy, this plane flies beautifully when powered by a 010
but with uncle Tee Dee 020 this is a ball to fly.

COX remains
the symbol of longevity, reliability and the etalon of technical era
never seen anymore when the world relies on stuff made in China.
A Cox feel-good thread! I love it. I feel the goodness too, and that's no Baloghny. Laughing

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:35 pm

Good info thanks!

I have 2 .010's and I was wondering how long they go, seeing as parts are hard to come by. I too am having a roaring .020 built for me by our very own Indra!

I am planning on the TD .020 from the get go. If you could share any info concerning mounting of electrics, control rods etc. It would be most helpful.

Good post, keep in mind too much castor shellac can hurt performance although you probably already knew that!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:05 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Good info thanks!

I have 2 .010's and I was wondering how long they go, seeing as parts are hard to come by. I too am having a roaring .020 built for me by our very own Indra!

I am planning on the TD .020 from the get go. If you could share any info concerning mounting of electrics, control rods etc. It would be most helpful.

Good post, keep in mind too much castor shellac can hurt performance although you probably already knew that!

Ron

Thanks, the servos and control rods were installed as per the original Roaring 20 drawing (if you do not have it I will try to post it after Easter) so nothing special.

Very seldom but 010 cylinders and pistons pop up on ebay and I also have purchased 4 brand new 010-s just in case they wear off but NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! This little critter is indestructable as long as you keep it superclean and put some conserving oil in the cylinder when you do not run it for some time.

I never had to devarnish the cylinder of this 010 during the 50 hrs running life.My 049-s get tight much more often...the black piston top also proves 049-s run way hotter than smaller COX-s.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:13 pm

Ok then,

I do have the drawings so I will just work off of those. I am going 3 channel with mine. What size servo's did you choose?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:34 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Ok then,

I do have the drawings so I will just work off of those. I am going 3 channel with mine. What size servo's did you choose?

I have Hitec Ultra Nano servos type: HS-35HD (torque: 11,11 oz.in, weight 0,158 oz) and I have 2 of them in, one for the rudder and one for the elevator but because my 010 and 020 both have exhaust mufflers for rpm control I am just contemplating to add a 3rd one.

The heli and electric bird pilots in the field get sometimes arrogant because of the noisy 010 and 020 and by today they do not seem to look for my companion - to some extent I understand their point - but because 010 and 020 are SPI engines, even if fixed mufflers for noise control were available, I could not install them without ruining the engine performance..Any idea how to socialize the 010 and 020-s among those over sensitive bat-eared electro-guys? (apart from handing out earplugs)? You would expect the sheer sight of these nitro-elves would break their ice but COX-aholics and electro guys seem hard to mingle.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:46 pm

balogh wrote:

I have Hitec Ultra Nano servos type: HS-35HD (torque: 11,11 oz.in, weight 0,158 oz) and I have 2 of them in, one for the rudder and one for the elevator but because my 010 and 020 both have exhaust mufflers for rpm control I am just contemplating to add a 3rd one.

The heli and electric bird pilots in the field get sometimes arrogant because of the noisy 010 and 020 and by today they do not seem to look for my companion - to some extent I understand their point - but because 010 and 020 are SPI engines, even if fixed mufflers for noise control were available, I could not install them without ruining the engine performance..Any idea how to socialize the 010 and 020-s among those over sensitive bat-eared electro-guys? (apart from handing out earplugs)? You would expect the sheer sight of these nitro-elves would break their ice but COX-aholics and electro guys seem hard to mingle.

I appreciate the servo info. As to your Bat eared companions unless there is a noise restriction where you fly then I would say it's their problem.

Sometimes I find that if you just make friends with folks they become more understanding. Take one of your planes over to them and ask them for some advice (even if you don't need any) people like to have their ego stroked. You could also give them a little Cox history and just maybe they will be a little more tolerant when it comes to your noisy jewels.

Lastly, if they still refuse to understand then find the biggest guy out there and walk up and punch him square in the nose! After that they all will be to afraid to mess with you.

Just kidding of course......... lol!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:01 pm

cribbs74 wrote:
balogh wrote:

I appreciate the servo info. As to your Bat eared companions unless there is a noise restriction where you fly then I would say it's their problem.

Sometimes I find that if you just make friends with folks they become more understanding. Take one of your planes over to them and ask them for some advice (even if you don't need any) people like to have their ego stroked. You could also give them a little Cox history and just maybe they will be a little more tolerant when it comes to your noisy jewels.

Lastly, if they still refuse to understand then find the biggest guy out there and walk up and punch him square in the nose! After that they all will be to afraid to mess with you.

Just kidding of course......... lol!

Yeah a good advice, some of those guys would really deserve a punch in the nose. But I would rather walk away (to cite something similar to your quote from Keith Moon of The Who, from another Keith (Richards of the Rolling Stones): "after all its said and done, I have gotta move I had my fun, but let me walk before they make me run....)
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:03 pm

Fantastic engine 30%+ 3 head gaskets = loadsa fun
Shame about the starter springs though.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:15 pm

John Goddard wrote:Fantastic engine 30%+ 3 head gaskets = loadsa fun
Very Happy

Share your experience on the starter spring..I rather use an electric mini-starter with the starter revved up first then let it roll-off while pushed to the propeller cone of the 010...without pushing the starter button.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:34 pm

John Goddard wrote:Fantastic engine 30%+ 3 head gaskets = loadsa fun
Very Happy

Bernies got em Johnny.......
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:50 pm

They break quite easily. well I've done 2 including the one today.

There's a lot of idiocy in North East London at the moment, with people going out on cold
days with no fleece, having to wear stupid hats and still having the worst camera man in
the world in tow.........

Sorry B kinda hijacked your thread but yes springs, very good but delicate.
I think they are the best way to start.
Now I've finally got mine sorted if starts and runs 1st,2nd or 3rd flip every time.
Cool
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dankar04 Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:39 am

I have rebuilt many different engines. Some after good cleaning seemed to have lower compression. Then ran them several times and compression came back. That film from castor keeps your engine good even after pro-long useage. Sig castor is best made and thats what I use. RC fuel is designed for modern engines that use ABC..AAC abn etc. Plus they have low oil 14-17% oil. I know fuel isn't easy to find and Rc fuel is available. Get some castor and use it.
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down