Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Another season passes bur we went out in style Cox_ba12

Another season passes bur we went out in style Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:43 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by rsv1cox Today at 7:36 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 7:11 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:49 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 6:32 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Sun May 12, 2024 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Sun May 12, 2024 8:55 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Another season passes bur we went out in style Empty
Live on Patrol

Another season passes bur we went out in style

Go down

Another season passes bur we went out in style Empty Another season passes bur we went out in style

Post  Ken Cook Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:53 am

Another season passes bur we went out in style P82a0013

Another season passes bur we went out in style P82a0014

Another season passes bur we went out in style P82a0015

This past Saturday was pretty cool as we had our final combat contest in New Jersey. We had seventeen entrants which is a bit each flying 4 rounds. It took us right up into sunset. Flying alongside of a small runway was quite exhilarating. It's hard to stay focused when you have a T-6 Texan running up it's engines and getting in some afternoon airtime. I took a pic as the Texan was flying over our circle giving us a wing wave. Unfortunately, my phone camera doesn't allow for zooming in. There was 1/2A combat and speed limit. The 1/2A is always enjoying but if there's one thing I find most annoying is the problems that occur when it's contest time. I can run these engines weekend to weekend and not experience one problem. Go to a contest and try it. I had 3 bladders all brand new pop one right after the other. Later, I discovered a small sharp piece of Gorilla glue has made it's way into my fuel compartment. I didn't place and this left my son to try for the win.

Although he was giving it his all, he just couldn't defend the title he had last year and it was taken by one of the senior flyers. Somewhat reminded me of the turtle and the hare. Speed limit was next which is basically any engine bushed or ball bearing engine up to .40 size displacement and the plane can't exceed 75 mph on 60 ft lines. Lately, most flyers have been using the newer synthetic braided line, Spectra, Spiderwire in the 100 lb test. I love it and it really takes the abuse. I usually ruin a set of lines per contest and it's getting a bit costly. This newer material is really interesting to use and makes the experience much more enjoyable knowing that match didn't cost you a $20 set of lines.

Something that has never happened before was that my son and I were paired against each other. This was odd but the process of elimination through the scores left us to fly against each other. Both planes got into the air and combat was ordered after a few laps and we were 180 deg apart. The match was getting heavily heated and resulted in my typical misjudgement which resulted in me eating his elevator. This didn't stop him though and the plane still flew out the match. I have a picture of the elevator half missing. I have no idea why the pic was resized smaller. We nicknamed his plane "Iron Mike" due to him generally pulverizing planes. Although midairs are greatly discouraged, it happens. If both planes stay in the air without incident for the entire match each pilot receives an additional 200 pts while each second in the air is one point. Each streamer cut is 100 with a maximum award of 300 points unless you take the knot off of the string which only allows for a max of 100. points. Ken

Last edited by Ken Cook on Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Another season passes bur we went out in style Empty Re: Another season passes bur we went out in style

Post  Kim Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:00 am

El Coolo !!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Another season passes bur we went out in style Empty Re: Another season passes bur we went out in style

Post  RknRusty Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:35 pm

Ken Cook wrote: ...Each streamer cut is 100 with a maximum award of 300 points unless you take the knot off of the string which only allows for a max of 100. points. Ken
Does that mean the best way to collect points is to chew of another guy's streamer in small bits, shortening it every time you attack, getting 100 for each nibble that floats away? So you get more that way than with just one good whop taking the whole thing off minus the knot? Or am I misunderstanding?

That sounds like fun.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:36 pm

Good stuff Ken,

Sounds like a load of fun. Did you happen to get any video footage? It would be cool to watch you guys do your thing.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:47 pm

Rusty, combat was pretty aggressive in the earlier years. The idea behind speed limit is to engage your opponent but not to the point where you fly through your opponent. That is what I did and as a result I lost my 200 point clean match bonus for doing so. In the older days of combat you had what is known as the "Kill'. The "Kill" rule was rather clear, you had to cut your opponent's streamer off including the string leaving no knot. The "Kill" rule is still used for 1/2A and also fast combat.

Speed limit combat is really designed as a entrance level event. It encourages engagement without the carnage, it's also designed around the concept of keeping you flying the entire match with an incentive. This would be your 200 additional point bonus for no collisions. The idea is to like you stated to nibble the streamer without taking the knot. Your allowed a maximum of 300 cut points which is 3 cuts total. You have to leave the knot. If the knot is taken off, you will only receive 100 pts total even if you made some prior nibbles. In other words taken the knot is a penalty. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:51 pm

Ron, I really want to do video. I think that would be awesome. I'm certainly working on it. Until I do get a video recorder, we do have a fellow amongst our group that has done several You Tube vids. I just hope we can do this shortly. I like watching it even though I was there. I will try and work with him and get a video of us in 1/2A. That is my favorite and we have some really fast stuff. I just haven't worked my way up to the Cyclon powered stuff. I do have a Cyclon that I can fly rather well in practice but I stuff it usually in a match. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down