Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Took the Li'l Satan to the field for a re-test.  Streak video too Cox_ba12

Took the Li'l Satan to the field for a re-test.  Streak video too Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Today at 9:03 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Today at 6:26 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:16 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Today at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Took the Li'l Satan to the field for a re-test.  Streak video too Empty
Live on Patrol

Took the Li'l Satan to the field for a re-test. Streak video too

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Took the Li'l Satan to the field for a re-test.  Streak video too Empty Took the Li'l Satan to the field for a re-test. Streak video too

Post  RknRusty Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:32 pm

I re-tested the Li'l Satan with its new Tee Dee today. It's a rocket plane now. It does everything I had hoped for, but I think I'll lighten the nose to make it a scad twitchier. It flies really good but it's just a little too stable. The loops could be tighter. In the movie you'll see me doing some ugly attempts at trying to do some large round loops like the competitive stunters have to do. But the full-up panic loops aren't as small as they should be. I'll shave off a little nose weight next time I fly it. Hopefully the loops will be a little tighter. I made a movie of it today

I made one movie of it today. I flew it about 4 times and it's a fun plane, much more-so now. I also made a Flite streak movie too.

Took the Li'l Satan to the field for a re-test.  Streak video too Lil_sa10

Last edited by RknRusty on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 am; edited 2 times in total

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Took the Li'l Satan to the field for a re-test.  Streak video too Empty Re: Took the Li'l Satan to the field for a re-test. Streak video too

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:43 pm

Great news Rusty!

Bring on the vids....... Popcorn
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Took the Li'l Satan to the field for a re-test.  Streak video too Empty Re: Took the Li'l Satan to the field for a re-test. Streak video too

Post  RknRusty Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:33 pm

While the movie is saving I looked at the video timestamps to calculate a speed. I flew 5 more or less flat laps just for that purpose I added 24" for the approximate length of my arm for a radius of 42' and I calculated the speed at 68.86mph. Not too shabby. I'll tell everybody else 70, it sounds even better. The Baby Flite Streak clocked in at 59.9mph last time i tried. I'll see if there are enough flat laps today to get a time on it.

Youtube says the movie will be live at about 55 minutes from the time of this post.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:02 pm

Here's an easier way to calculate speed for mathmaticly impaired like myself:
http://www.flycl.co.uk/control_line_speed_calculator.htm
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Took the Li'l Satan to the field for a re-test.  Streak video too Empty The Li'l Satan movie

Post  RknRusty Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:38 pm

Li'l Satan with its new Tee Dee upgrade.
Fullscreen is enabled

I might take the Tee Dee off of the Stuntman23 and swap it with this one. I hope it screws onto that backplate and locks in the same position so I don't have to take the mount off and reposition it. I have the cylinder pointed up because any other position exposes the needle. No wheels to keep it off the ground if I land upside down. Same problem if I set it as a sidewinder on either side.

Last edited by RknRusty on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:13 am; edited 2 times in total

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:13 pm

JPvelo wrote:Here's an easier way to calculate speed for mathmaticly impaired like myself:
http://www.flycl.co.uk/control_line_speed_calculator.htm
Hmmm, I must have made a mistake. Your calculator gave me 69.16mph. I liked mine better. Sad

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:57 pm

Looking good Rusty.

It sounded like you were a little rich as when the bladder started getting low the speed really picked up and the stumble went away.

Did you get that sorted?

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:15 pm

I fiddled with it and it acted differently on every flight, some better some about the same, none worse. It got a little better in the later flights. I recorded the first flight of the day. I've never have that problem on the .051, it always goes full bore from beginning to end. First I'll swap the NVA parts one at a time and see if the venturi, needle or NV body changes it. It was weird from day one. It only opens 1-2/3 turns to peak. All of my others are between 2-1/2 and 3-1/2 turns. If that doesn't turn out to be the problem, it might be the engine. It's that one with the odd buckle in the bottom of the crankcase. It might be a friction/temperature problem. I might have to get a new Tee Dee or at least a crankcase. I could use my Medallion case, but then I wouldn't have a Medallion and that would suck, because it's a hotrod Medallion with a good SPI set on it.

Last edited by RknRusty on Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Pm sent
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:05 am

JPvelo wrote:My lhs has a new tee dee case for ten bucks. I can pick it up on Monday if you want it.
Jim
Really! Yes. However my hobby budget is slam busted until next month. I just paid to join the AMA, bought props and fuel, supplies for my Refried Bean, dues for my new club dada, dada,dada...

With any luck at all, they'll have it next month. I bet nobody will buy it. Even if I didn't need it I might buy it anyway because all the other parts are easy. Bernie for P/C sets. Ebay for crankshafts and carbs, etc. Besides I really should troubleshoot it properly first, rather than throw parts at it. Thanks for the heads up, JP. I'll let you know when the time comes.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Took the Li'l Satan to the field for a re-test.  Streak video too Empty Baby Flite Streak flight

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:49 am

Fullscreen is enbled

After a couple of unsuccessful tries I got a nice wingover but it's hard to pick out.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:24 am

That BFS sure does fly well. Not one hiccup either. Are you using 42' lines on that?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:00 am

cribbs74 wrote:That BFS sure does fly well. Not one hiccup either. Are you using 42' lines on that?
Yeah it does, I could almost kiss that plane after a day of flying. Surprised Well, not really, but I do love it. I only have any experience with 3 Tee Dees, so I don't know their quirks like I do with the Bees, but I'm thinking they should all run about like that .051. I might try a smaller prop to get the RPMs up on both of them and compare the results. I never really change the NV setting, I just set it to 3-1/2 turns and crank and go, maybe a little tweak to get the right richness for the day's weather. It usually takes about two laps to unload and come up to full speed. You can hear it load up a little in high G pulls but it recovers instantly. The oil on the wing is clean and pink so I don't think I'm too lean. It has a 1702 head and 2 shims. I got that engine on eBay back in January for $32 bucks. I had credit card buyer's remorse at first, but it proved itself worthy. Best deal I ever got.

My lines are 40' from the handle to the leadouts. But when calculating speed I add 24" for the length of my arm with my bent elbow because that adds to the radius. I'd have gotten over 70mph if I fudged and didn't add that extra 2 feet. That was about an ounce and a half of Glowplugboy in the bladder.

I'm going to a club meeting Tuesday night and the president is giving me his old BFS that he hasn't flown in decades. I don't know if it has an engine or not. I hope it flies as well as my Brodak Streak.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:31 am

You definitely have a good setup that's for sure. I need to cut my tree back so I can go past 35' and see how things turn out.

The older BFS's were radial mount. Let's hope it has an RR1 on it Very Happy shoot out a picture when you get it.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:11 am

If not, I have an RR1 for it. Mud just took it and rebuilt it and sent it back to me. It's sealed in a Ziploc bag waiting for a job. Or there's always the radial mount backplate for a TD or a Norvel. Texas Timers sells both. I really like that setup. And it's self tightening by torque. Unless you use a pusher prop.

He said he has an old kit of some kind he's bringing me too. He said it looks kind of like the Li'l Satan I showed him. Probably dry rotted, but I'll still have the wood to trace if I have to.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:58 am

Combat Kitten....... That's my guess. Maybe you will get lucky with a Jr Satan or a Voodoo. Now that you have more room a biggun may be a good thing.

If the kit was stored properly it may be just fine. I have 35-45 yr old kits that still look brand new.

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:47 am

He called me a while ago and said he'd bring it to the field if I want to come get it. I said... Okay, see you there. He said the Streak had had a Norvel .049 on it, but he'd have to find it for me. I'll do a show and tell later on.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Took the Li'l Satan to the field for a re-test.  Streak video too Empty Took the Li'l Satan to the field for a re-test. Streak video too

Post  jorigger Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:52 am

RknRusty wrote:I re-tested the Li'l Satan with its new Tee Dee today. It's a rocket plane now. It does everything I had hoped for, but I think I'll lighten the nose to make it a scad twitchier. It flies really good but it's just a little too stable. The loops could be tighter. In the movie you'll see me doing some ugly attempts at trying to do some large round loops like the competitive stunters have to do. But the full-up panic loops aren't as small as they should be. I'll shave off a little nose weight next time I fly it. Hopefully the loops will be a little tighter. I made a movie of it today

I made one movie of it today. I flew it about 4 times and it's a fun plane, much more-so now. I also made a Flite streak movie too.

Took the Li'l Satan to the field for a re-test.  Streak video too Lil_sa10
Hello Rusty, congratulation for this Li'L Satan, very beautiful. I have to see also the video. Fantastic performance.
Please, i have to see in the photo one small 'Black Mesh' ? I want know the use, and also if you can send me some photos of this part, in the my direct email:giuseppegallegra@email.it.

Thanks and Regards
Giuseppe - Italy
jorigger
jorigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:30 am

Hi Giuseppe. I'll take some closeup pictures for you later today and send them. Meanwhile you can see me describe how to make the mesh bag, as well as bladders, cranking and running them in this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLg0IjwkivQPD-4_0aESC17zpy9FuhHWLa

Here is a video of the Li'l Satan with the Tee Dee after I got the bugs worked out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFlZ7TvKKAA

You can hear the engine slowing in the loops. That's because the 5-1/2 x3 prop is a tad too much for the Tee Dee to swing in stunts like that. It will really come alive with a 5-1/4 x4 prop.

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  jorigger Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:41 am

RknRusty wrote:Hi Giuseppe. I'll take some closeup pictures for you later today and send them. Meanwhile you can see me describe how to make the mesh bag, as well as bladders, cranking and running them in this playlist:

Here is a video of the Li'l Satan with the Tee Dee after I got the bugs worked out:

You can hear the engine slowing in the loops. That's because the 5-1/2 x3 prop is a tad too much for the Tee Dee to swing in stunts like that. It will really come alive with a 5-1/4 x4 prop.

Rusty
Thank you very much Rusty for you availability and courtesy, you is very very kind.

Again congratulations.

Regards
Giuseppe - Italy
jorigger
jorigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jorigger Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:51 am

RknRusty wrote:Hi Giuseppe. I'll take some closeup pictures for you later today and send them. Meanwhile you can see me describe how to make the mesh bag, as well as bladders, cranking and running them in this playlist:

Rusty
Good morning Rusty,
i have to see many times yoy video of ''Make Fuel Bladder'' is very interesting, now i know the procedure for make the fuel bladder.
But is not is very easy for me understand the english ''to speak'', write is different for me.
Now i need some informations for the parts that is need for make the fuel bladder.
I have all in my work-shop, only i have buy the 'Latex Tubing' and i want know the size that i need: ID x OD ?
I think that for the silicon tubing use the standard size 3/32, or you advise more small ?

Also i want know that Brand of propeller you use in the size of 5.1/4 x 4 ?

Thanks again
Giuseppe - Italy

jorigger
jorigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:01 pm

jorigger wrote:Good morning Rusty,
i have to see many times yoy video of ''Make Fuel Bladder'' is very interesting, now i know the procedure for make the fuel bladder.
But is not is very easy for me understand the english ''to speak'', write is different for me.
Now i need some informations for the parts that is need for make the fuel bladder.
I have all in my work-shop, only i have buy the 'Latex Tubing' and i want know the size that i need: ID x OD ?
I think that for the silicon tubing use the standard size 3/32, or you advise more small ?

Thanks again
Giuseppe - Italy

Hi Giuseppe, I measured some of my bladder tubing and it looks like the ID is near .125" (1/8") or 3.18mm. The OD is near .172" (11/64") or 4.37mm. I think the wall thickness is around .031" (1/32")or .787mm thick

I looked on the website texastimers.com where I buy the latex tube and other bladder supplies and didn't see the measurements listed, but those dimensions are close enough. It's not very critical, a little larger or smaller will only change your needle setting.

Here's the page to order your bladder supplies:
http://texastimers.com/accessories/pressure_bladders.htm
And fine thread needle valves:
http://texastimers.com/accessories/needle_valves.htm

I buy Master airscrew props from eBay or masterairscrew.com, and get the GF series 6x3, Part# MA0630, and cut it to whatever sizes I need. This is the one:
http://masterairscrew.com/6x3gfseriespropeller.aspx

I hope this helps.
Rusty

EDIT: I forgot you wanted a closeup picture of my mesh bladder holder. I'll get that for you by late Tuesday when I get back from flying.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:49 pm

I buy my bladder tubing at a fishing supply store, they sell it as 1/8.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:28 pm

JPvelo wrote:I buy my bladder tubing at a fishing supply store, they sell it as 1/8.

Jim
No kidding, thanks for the tip. I've got a good fishing outfitter nearby. I'll check it out, because I'm down to my last 10 inches of the stuff. I used to change them all the time, but now I just rinse them with alcohol, squeeze it out and use them a bunch of times. What sort of use do they sell it for? The big stuff makes great slingshot rubber.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  jorigger Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:24 am

RknRusty wrote:
jorigger wrote:Good morning Rusty,

Thanks again
Giuseppe - Italy

Hi Giuseppe, I measured some of my bladder tubing and it looks like the ID is near .125" (1/8") or 3.18mm. The OD is near .172" (11/64") or 4.37mm. I think the wall thickness is around .031" (1/32")or .787mm thick

I looked on the website texastimers.com where I buy the latex tube and other bladder supplies and didn't see the measurements listed, but those dimensions are close enough. It's not very critical, a little larger or smaller will only change your needle setting.

Here's the page to order your bladder supplies:
http://texastimers.com/accessories/pressure_bladders.htm
And fine thread needle valves:
http://texastimers.com/accessories/needle_valves.htm

I buy Master airscrew props from eBay or masterairscrew.com, and get the GF series 6x3, Part# MA0630, and cut it to whatever sizes I need. This is the one:
http://masterairscrew.com/6x3gfseriespropeller.aspx

I hope this helps.
Rusty

EDIT: I forgot you wanted a closeup picture of my mesh bladder holder. I'll get that for you by late Tuesday when I get back from flying.
Hello Rusty,
I thank you for all the information and for the information that you gave me.
I've got in touch with Mr. Hank Nystrom, for buy from him all the parts that i need to build the fuel bladder, i want buy from him also the fine needle valve.
Thanks also for the information of the propeller, and wait from you the photos, when you can.
Regards
Giuseppe - Italy
jorigger
jorigger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next