Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What would cause this? Cox_ba12

What would cause this? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by batjac Today at 10:06 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 7:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:03 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by rsv1cox Today at 1:26 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:14 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 2:31 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 10:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:20 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:25 am

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:15 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What would cause this? Empty
Live on Patrol

What would cause this?

Go down

What would cause this? Empty What would cause this?

Post  Jason_WI Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:40 pm

Was runnning a Medallion 15 today. I just got it running and it was running rich on the test stand. Just getting ready to lean it out and suddenly it threw sparks out the exhaust port and siezed. Shocked DAMMIT!

Here is what the piston looks like:

What would cause this? B2cdd7513cba3f9b8605c99c9d4fced0_zpsae0b8b89

What would cause this? Th_b2cdd7513cba3f9b8605c99c9d4fced0_zpsae0b8b89

It was running rich so I can only think a piece of dirt got in and caused this damage. The engine turned over fine without any binding before starting it.

Anyone have a spare Medallion 15 piston and cylinder set for sale?
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What would cause this? Empty Re: What would cause this?

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:18 pm

That is strange, I don't know if just regular dirt would cause it to throw sparks. Were you running it close to your milling equipment? Maybe a steel shaving got thrown into the exhaust port.

I suppose it's possible that the piston had a manufacturing defect.
Is the Medallion cylinder Single bypass like the Sportsman?

Major bummer, sorry that happened. Can I assume that one won't make the tach race?

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:33 pm

It certainly looks like it either ingested something or something broke loose inside the engine.

Is your plug element still intact? Is the cup in the ball socket still intact? Did you remove the cylinder using your wrench in the exhaust port? If so, you might have rolled a burr up on the port and it broke loose while running. It's difficult to see in the picture, but at the top of the piston where the scoring is worst, does the score appear to have been caused by an external object or from a portion of the piston flaking off -- perhaps from a void on the original bar.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:42 pm

cribbs74 wrote:That is strange, I don't know if just regular dirt would cause it to throw sparks. Were you running it close to your milling equipment? Maybe a steel shaving got thrown into the exhaust port.

I suppose it's possible that the piston had a manufacturing defect.
Is the Medallion cylinder Single bypass like the Sportsman?

Major bummer, sorry that happened. Can I assume that one won't make the tach race?

Ron

Ron,

I have more medallion 15's I can send. It was a single port cylinder. Was running out in the shed on a flat clean bench. Could have been a defect but there was no binding or tight spots.

The plug is intact and was new. The cylinder is galled also but not at an edge of the exhaust port where a burr would have occurred.

Jason
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:31 am

Appears to be a lack of fuel lubrication to me.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:54 am

Jason, this isn't uncommon. What happened to you happened to me. This discussion came up a few days ago with a friend of mine who said he could tell me the damage sight unseen. It's due to improper piston to cylinder fit and the piston is rocking at the bottom end. On the way up it catches the exhaust port and stops like it seized. I can tell you when I had to replace mine a few years ago, the cost wasn't cheap. These are certainly becoming harder to locate. My engine when it stopped had 3 runs on it when this happened. I was flying mine when it happened and the plane almost flipped over. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:41 am

SuperDave wrote:Appears to be a lack of fuel lubrication to me.

20% nitro and 22% oil content of which 1/2 is castor. It was running rich so I doubt is siezed due to lack of lube.

Jason
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:45 am

Ken Cook wrote: Jason, this isn't uncommon. What happened to you happened to me. This discussion came up a few days ago with a friend of mine who said he could tell me the damage sight unseen. It's due to improper piston to cylinder fit and the piston is rocking at the bottom end. On the way up it catches the exhaust port and stops like it seized. I can tell you when I had to replace mine a few years ago, the cost wasn't cheap. These are certainly becoming harder to locate. My engine when it stopped had 3 runs on it when this happened. I was flying mine when it happened and the plane almost flipped over. Ken
Ken, are you saying this is a problem specific to the Cox Medallion .15, or all Cox .15 piston/cylinders?

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:14 am

Rusty, I was told that this was happening with the Medallion .15's. Mine came in the jewel case with the old 60's looking cardboard card inside. The problem with this engine is that even in this case and packaging it's hard to tell when it was really manufactured. These engines were produced up into the 1980's using that packaging. I remember Tower Hobbies selling Medallion .15's as a discontinued items sale for $25. When talking to my friend the other evening, he told me about this problem when I mentioned the engine on the Jr Satan which is going to be a Medallion .15. I told him afterwards that it did in fact happen to me. I bought 2 new piston cylinders about 7 years ago, These were not inexpensive then so I'm sure they're probably more and harder to find nowadays. Currently, I would think Dan Sitter would be a reliable source for these piston cylinders and he can be located on Ebay.

I was using 10% nitro with 25% all castor fuel when I was running mine. Just like Jason said, no binds, started right up and then it stopped. Pretty weird I must say. My piston looked scored just like his does with a matching cylinder to boot. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:11 am

This sucks about the Medallion 15 piston/cylinder fit. Seems like Medallion 15's are up in price since the last time I bought them. Was getting them for $35 and under but now seem to be going for more.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:41 am

Jason, this isn't the situation with all of them. The new piston cylinders I received have been an absolute joy to use. I suppose a choice few have had this problem and were both unfortunate to experience this. I wouldn't give up on them. The new piston sleeve I've been using other than probably one of the loudest .15 engines I run is a very user friendly engine. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:30 pm

SuperDave wrote:Appears to be a lack of fuel lubrication to me.

Since the fuel and lube weren't mentioned early on in this thread it seemed a good place to start. As details have now emerged the cause of the problem is now more apparent.

SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:03 pm

'Litho in USA ??/??' on the instruction leaflet should tell you
Within a few months the date it was put in the box Ken.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ahrma_581 Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Ken Cook wrote:Jason, this isn't uncommon. What happened to you happened to me.... It's due to improper piston to cylinder fit and the piston is rocking at the bottom end. On the way up it catches the exhaust port and stops like it seized....My engine when it stopped had 3 runs on it when this happened.

Was this just due to excessive piston to cylinder clearance when the design was 'new'? Tightened up later in production run? Doesn't seem like this would be just the result of sloppy tolerances in production given Cox's qa standards for much smaller engines.

Wonder if this would be aggravated by cylinder indexing, with exhaust ports sitting perpendicular to crank shaft axis?
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:06 pm

Good point, never thought of that. If the cylinder exhaust ports were facing opposite the thrust side of of the piston it may not have happened as it wouldn't have caught the lip.

I imagine even with Cox's good reputation for machining standards a couple bad ones slipped through the cracks.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:13 am

I tried to clean up the cylinder where the groove was cut in. There is a slight ridge which tells me the piston galled to the cylinder instead of striking the edge. The inside exhaust port edge was beveled slightly and there isn't any sign it caught the edge. The ridge on the cylinder is extremely hard and cannot be touched with a xacto knife. Usually the cylinders are soft and can be scraped with a xacto knife. Maybe there was impurities in this blank and this led to unequal expansion when coming up to temp. This caused a tight spot and siezed the piston.

Jason
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum