Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Super Clown build thread (Maiden Report) - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Super Clown build thread (Maiden Report) - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» audio-tach anyone?
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:43 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Sat May 18, 2024 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Super Clown build thread (Maiden Report) - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Super Clown build thread (Maiden Report)

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Super Clown build thread (Maiden Report) - Page 3 Empty Re: Super Clown build thread (Maiden Report)

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Forgot to mention I bought the 3.5oz version of the one you sent me off the Brodak site.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Super Clown build thread (Maiden Report) - Page 3 Empty Re: Super Clown build thread (Maiden Report)

Post  Cribbs74 Sat May 04, 2013 9:32 pm

Couple more things done. I coated it with TopFlite clear to fuel proof the Rustoleum and attachd the stab and gear. I certainly like the looks of this thing. I hope it flies well. Hey! Guess who forgot to add the tip weight again Rolling Eyes

I should have it finished within a week and I can move on to the Shoestring

Ron

Super Clown build thread (Maiden Report) - Page 3 GEa9hULl

Super Clown build thread (Maiden Report) - Page 3 0sEgXnHl

Super Clown build thread (Maiden Report) - Page 3 Tl7kv5ql
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat May 04, 2013 9:33 pm

It looks awesome! Good work.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat May 04, 2013 10:59 pm

It looks like it was designed around the Fox decal, very nice!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun May 05, 2013 6:57 am

Ron, I have a question in regards to the top coat. I assume this is Lusterkote your using. I never have done a Rustoleum finish. I just never had enough success using enamel based paints to continue using them. However my friend Larry does them all the time and they surprisingly look quite nice. Larry uses Minwax water based poly for a base. I don't care for that particular product either. I use the Nelson water based poly with great results. My question is, when the top coat is applied, do you scuff the underlying Rustoleum first? I find that the top coat unless the bottom was scarified some way would have a tendency to sheet off. I thought you may just use a scuff pad.

My other concern is the compatibility between the two. I ask this due to using the Lusterkote once. It smelled like lacquer. I always have used enamel base over lacquer just not the other way around due to the solvents in the lacquer attacking the enamel. I have although not recommended shot lacquer over incompatible bases, it just has to be done with a dry mist building up to a wet coat. Are you letting the enamel dry for a period of time prior to spraying the clear? I'm tired of painting actually, I used to enjoy it very much and I have a great deal of experience in spraying all types of paints. My experience was initially gained from auto painting and while I enjoy seeing pretty planes, I'd rather be building and moving onto the next project.

My dope supply is nearing an end and due to the cost, I don't see myself purchasing anymore. Sig clear is $25 a quart and so is the thinner. I can easily use an entire quart of thinner plus on just one model. Your looking at $50 no hazmat or shipping in that price. For sport use, I'm seeking alternatives. Nelson hobby paints are now once again available, I just was looking into the Rustoleum approach. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun May 05, 2013 8:28 am

Ken,

I must be incredibly lucky as I have had zero compatability problems with Rustoleum and Lustrekote.

Humidity is an issue though, I always wait a day or two bedore spraying the LustreKote just to be sure. I wonder if it would be worthwhile just to use the TopFlite products altogether as the TopFlite stuff is only a few $ more than Rustoleum anyway. You do have more color choices with Rustoleum though.

No I don't scuff the underlying coat although I do sand between coats, just not before the clear as I am always fearful of sanding too much off and exposing the wood.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun May 05, 2013 9:18 am

After the Rustoleum cures, just prior to spraying on the Lustrecote, I wipe(not rub) it with a lint free rag damp with denatured alcohol. That will de-glaze it slightly but won't affect the glassy final look. The Lustre has to go on very lightly. In my experience the darker colors, especially red and black will orange peel if you put it on too thick. I've never had blue or white craze. Wait a half hour to an hour between coats, and by the third or fourth you can lay the final coat on thick enough to look like glass without destroying the color coat. If you ever try to remove a spot, you'll find it lays on like glued-on plastic wrap and you have to score the perimeter of the repair area with a razor to pull off a patch. Before painting I still use a base coat of thinned epoxy on the engine beam and on the wing roots between the fuse and the covering for fuel proofing.

For water-slide decals, mask them and give a quick VERY light spray, or they will craze badly. Build it up with a couple of coats, and they are then impervious to cleaning fluids and bumps and scrapes. Also if you use stick on numbers and lettering, mask them and a couple of good shots will keep them stuck down for life. There will be a shiny perimeter around them, but as much as a perfectionist as I am, it's acceptable to me. Overspray comes off of plastic covering with acetone, but it takes several fresh turns of the rag to get it all, or it will leave a haze.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun May 05, 2013 12:43 pm

Ken Cook wrote:
My dope supply is nearing an end and due to the cost, I don't see myself purchasing anymore. Sig clear is $25 a quart and so is the thinner. I can easily use an entire quart of thinner plus on just one model. Your looking at $50 no hazmat or shipping in that price. For sport use, I'm seeking alternatives. Nelson hobby paints are now once again available, I just was looking into the Rustoleum approach. Ken

Ken --
Take a look at Aircraft Spruce -- I use them and Wick's Aircraft Supply for many components. Both cater to the homebuilt crowd. If you buy your dope in quarts, there is no hazmat charge. Brodak uses Randolph for his dope supplier, although his may be a slightly different composition. I can't see any difference in Randolph dope from Aircraft Spruce.

Butyrate clear tautening is $15.60/qt. and thinner is $11.90/qt. You can get nitrate and butyrate in both tautening and non-tautening clear. I've also found that a quality lacquer thinner from auto suppliers will work as a reducer for butyrate. Cheap lacquer thinner from Lowe's works for both butyrate and nitrate cleanup.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/cs/randolphcoatings.html
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun May 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Ron -
That color scheme with the checkerboards looks great. It's got to be fast just looking at it.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 16, 2013 6:14 pm

Ok finished entirely, I want to fly this thing bad! Problem is it's too big for my back yard.

Super Clown build thread (Maiden Report) - Page 3 MLix2jfl

Super Clown build thread (Maiden Report) - Page 3 Zl38P81l

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:38 am

Success!!!!

I finally was able to Maiden the Super Clown this morning. Met up at the MADS field at 0600 so I could beat the wind. Let me just say everything went well today. I was able to get a nice 4-2 going, winds were low and best of all it flew like a dream. With the flaps installed it turns on a dime! Loving it! I was able to squeeze in 3 flights before the wind picked up.

So, the downside is my Cameraman buddy was unfamiliar with my phone so I don't have any video. I will post a dirty plane pic here soon for now. Hopefully some video next flight

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:23 am

Haha, your avatar looks like, Go ahead, come and get me, you @#%&!, I dare ya!

That won't make a bit of sense when you change your avie. But I'm glad your maiden flights went well.

Last edited by RknRusty on Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  jhaye Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:00 pm

glad it went well Ron. Mornings are definitely better for flying around here. See ya tomorrow am.

Jim
jhaye
jhaye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:29 pm

That's what I am doing Rusty! How did you guess? If you look real close you can see the Hot Rock in my hand lol.

Jim, leaving at 0500hrs. Hope to have some good fun!

Ron

Super Clown build thread (Maiden Report) - Page 3 XUWJdzbl

Some small video snippets to follow.

Last edited by cribbs74 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:10 pm

Excellent Airplane. Ring that Puppy out this weekend !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:09 pm

That's the plan Kim,

Nothing like a good running Fox pulling hard on the lines. Except maybe a TD on song........Wink 
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:13 am

Ron,
Did you end up adding tail weight to the clown? What thickness ply did you for doublers with the fox?

Thanks,
Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:58 am

Good question.

Here's the thing, I built a CLC version which is a faithful replica of the PDQ. So.... My nose is longer than yours. I used the kit doublers whick I believe are 1/8" and as such I had to add 3/4oz tail weight.

If I were to do it again I would probably use 1/16 ply for doublers and perhaps trim the nose.

The Brodak version may not build the same, but I would still use less wood on the doubler. Brodak may have already done that for you.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:07 pm

Thanks Ron,

The brodak doublers are 1/16. I've heard so much about the "Fox Shake" I wasn't sure 1/16 would be stout enough.
I will be starting my clown in the next few weeks so I may hit you up with a few more questions.

Thanks,
Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:08 pm

What engine are you going with?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:24 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:What engine are you going with?

I have a NIB 40th Anniversary Fox .35 stunt I was planing on using.
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:28 pm

Ok,

That's why I was asking. Just be sure to mount the Fox good and secure. Use steel mount plates and offset wedges if at all possible. Something else I wish I had done is build a cheek block that flows into the spinner. For aesthetic reasons and for added rigidity.

If you choose to use a Spinner be aware it will have to come off and on if you use a wood prop. Most commercial spinners don't leave a whole lot of shaft for the prop nut so you may have to modify the spinner.

MA 9.5x6, APC 10x5 or 10x6 is the props I would experiment with. Your elevation may dictate otherwise.

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3