Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

retarded,and i need photos Cox_ba12

retarded,and i need photos Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I break for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 12:09 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

retarded,and i need photos Empty
Live on Patrol

retarded,and i need photos

Go down

retarded,and i need photos Empty retarded,and i need photos

Post  bullit132 Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:27 pm

could someone post a few pics on how to hook up a perfect brand wedge tank to a sure start engine which outlet is ,also a what hieght does the tank need to be,which line hooks to where,it would really help me,also can a surestart head be mounted sideways/?remember im retarded pictures say a thosand words,thanks retard alan lol Babe Bee .049
bullit132
bullit132
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

retarded,and i need photos Empty Re: retarded,and i need photos

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:07 pm

You can't be retarded, I'm the CEF retard!

So, consider the source. If it's a simple normally vented tank, it has three tubes coming out of it. One vertical out of the top is the fill tube. One vertical coming out of the bottom is the overflow vent. Both go all the way through and almost touch the other side. The third either coming straight out of the front endplate, or possibly at an angle out of the top and pointed forward is the pickup tube that feeds the engine. That tube goes all the way to the back and ends in the smallest corner of the wedge. That point should be mounted so it's at the same level as the spraybar of the needle valve when the plane is parallel to the ground. It should also be as close to the engine as possible with the shortest fuel line you can connect with. On a profile plane you'll mount it to the side of the fuselage right behind the engine. If there is no room there, some engineering is required.

I'm looking for a good picture. Maybe someone will beat me to it.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:27 pm

Is this it Rusty? I turned the cylinder and crankcase assembly sideways on the backplate once but could not get screws in the backplate mounting holes, they were blocked by the cylinder.
But no reason it can't run that way.

retarded,and i need photos Img_1011
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:44 pm

Take the caps off. You don't need them on these tanks. With both caps on the engine won't draw fuel at all.

Looks good.

If you want to mount the engine sideways on the back plate, take the cylinder off to mount to the plane, then reinstall the cylinder. Plenty of space then.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:49 pm

The caps are just to keep the dust out, did not think of mounting cylinder after, I'm the retarded one!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:15 pm

Thanks for posting the pic. That's it. And yeah, taking the cylinder off... DUH!. No, I'm more retarded than y'all!retarded,and i need photos Crazy

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:17 pm

This is the other style tank Rusty was talking about. This is a Medallion beam setup but basically you mount it so the pickup is level or just above the NV.

As you can see from the pic my pickup is way above the NV, but it runs flawlessly level and inverted. My vent is not capped so by all rights it shouldn't work well but it does!!

Ron

retarded,and i need photos OntLjpx
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

retarded,and i need photos Empty wedge tank

Post  bullit132 Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:53 pm

thanks i believe i have a project for tomorrow,thanks rusty,you bieng in sc we will have to meet someday i think i could learn alot from you,i dont know how fa you are but it would be a blast no one here in my area, so ive yet to make a maiden voyage ,but i do have four planes and 6 engines ya,im addicted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo
bullit132
bullit132
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:55 pm

You used to fly a long time ago, didn't you, Bullit?
BTW, I'm about 100 miles from you, right up I-26.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:00 pm

cribbs74 wrote:...As you can see from the pic my pickup is way above the NV, but it runs flawlessly level and inverted. My vent is not capped so by all rights it shouldn't work well but it does!!

Ron
For sport flying, normally vented should run fine, it just leans and speeds up as you get low on fuel. You needle it for a noticable(but not too radical) rich roll-off to launch.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

retarded,and i need photos Empty retarded

Post  bullit132 Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:08 pm

no ive never flown any type of plane have been doing nitro and gas cars,trucks and boats,so im looking forward to getting one of my planes in the RC Plane air
bullit132
bullit132
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddicted Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:43 am

bullit132 wrote:no ive never flown any type of plane have been doing nitro and gas cars,trucks and boats,so im looking forward to getting one of my planes in the RC Plane air

This is exactly the same level i am in at the moment. Fellow sufferer Smile
coxaddicted
coxaddicted
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:54 am

We'll help get you dudes flying. It'll be fun. Are you starting with RC or CL, and what planes are you going to start with?

I was reading a thread over at Stuka by a fellow who's asking how to learn to fly CL, and he's getting some good but ambiguous advice about things like how to hold the control handle. The best tip I read was to have a couple or a fer trainer planes and an extensive field repair kit. The reason being that the first flights are the ones where you have to overcome over-controlling and you need lots of stick time to overcome this tendency.

Here's a clip of a post by a Stuka member named Brett that I somewhat paraphrased from that thread:

...beginners tend to over-control because they have no anticipation of what a control movement will do. The airplane does something, they move the controls but have to wait and see what it does, by which point they have held it too long, they correct, same thing happens, even worse, until it hits the ground. This is exacerbated by the fact that they lose their reference easily. Flying in a "tilted plane" looks like a sine wave to the pilot and they also don't anticipate this, either, hence the typical second flight where the airplane cycles higher on the upwind side and lower on the downwind side until it crashes.

But the way around it is stick time. Many beginners go out, get in a half a lap, go home and fix it and come back next week - where it repeats. I strongly recommend multiple simple airplanes, an extensive repair kit, and enough engine and prop spares to keep going for a few hours in every session. If you crash, fix it *right then*m fly some more, until you are out of either daylight or spare parts.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

retarded,and i need photos Empty retarded,i need photos

Post  bullit132 Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:47 am

rusty that was good information,if what you wrote is true,im spending WAY TO MUCH TIME,ON TRYING TO MAKE MY PLANES PRETTY,i guess im going to be crashing alot. so far i have a baby fireball and a sig skyray built,i have a little wizard and a cessna c-37 still in the box
bullit132
bullit132
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:09 am

For early control line flights hold the handle upright and "lock" your wrist with your arm generally extended. Make your control movements from your wrist/shoulder and DO NOT use your wrist. As you raise your arm the control provides up elevator and the plane raises to the location your arm is pointing. As your lower your arm the control provides down elevator and the plane lowers to the location your arm is pointing. Excessive over control is prevented and the learning curve is flattened using this scheme.

Now There are some problems with the above paragraph. It assumes a properly trimmed, balanced airplane that flies straight with neutral elevator position. It assumes the control lines are adjusted so the natural wrist position is neutral elevator.

Having your wrist locked also prevents any ability to do stunts since the control surfaces will move very little, so this is a beginner's technique. A simple wing over, with a long entry and recovery is about the only stunt you can do without wrist movements, and it will look like a high/low circle instead of a wing over. You NEED wrist movements to fly, but you need to fly without crashing to learn.

After you are in the air a few (dozen) laps you'll get the feel for how much movement in the control handle affects the airplane, and be able to relax the rigid composure and use small wrist movements instead of whole arm movements.

Yes, simple slab wing airplanes with a suitable repair kit. Have a couple. The fluted plastic wing found here
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t3411-1-2a-c-l-beginner-build-combat-wing?highlight=coroplast+wing
is the basher I let anyone fly. It has quite literally been crashed hundreds of times in its short life. I need to fix the motor mount because the screws ovaled out the plastic and the motor mount is a little floppy.

For RC invest in a simulator for the computer that uses your control unit. RC airplanes are expensive, and the simulator costs about the same as a bare trainer airframe.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:19 am

For the initial flights you might consider using a Baby Bee with tank already installed. This will save you set-up time, and still allow plenty of flight time as you figure things out. It ought to fly a 1/2A Skyray just fine.

And pretty...well..."beauty is in the eye of the beholder", they say...

retarded,and i need photos 2_25

retarded,and i need photos Sam_1310

retarded,and i need photos 1_25
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down