Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Purple Plane Factory... Cox_ba12

Purple Plane Factory... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 8:59 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Today at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Today at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Today at 8:49 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 7:46 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Today at 7:37 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:29 am

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Today at 9:49 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by rsv1cox Today at 9:39 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 6:32 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Yesterday at 8:55 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Purple Plane Factory... Empty
Live on Patrol

Purple Plane Factory...

Go down

Purple Plane Factory... Empty Purple Plane Factory...

Post  GUS THE I.A. Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:03 pm

Here is the lastest completed model from the shop:

It's a built-from-plans Sure-Flite Baby Birdie. Power is a COX TD .049 with a fine thread needle and a pressure backplate. Right now, it has the COX 6x3 gray prop on it, but that may change after a flight. The plane has a tapered ACE foam wing, and the fuselage is balsa. Everything is covered in Ultracoat. Aileron and elevator function, only. The wing is held in place with nylon bolts, rather than rubberbands. Before radio installation, the airframe weighs 14.7 ounces. I'll use two JR DS188 servos, a Spektrum AR400 RX, a COX 2S, 7.4V, 250mAh LiPo battery for the controls.

This plane is not slated to be an entry in the Contest, unless I put the .051 on it. This should be pretty zoomie! I will install wingtip skids under the plane, to allow landing on the runway, to avoid yoinking the wing bolts on the grass. It should skid in quite nicely, then, without marring the underside of the plane. Flying should begin this weekend with this one. Purple Plane Factory... 100_1225Purple Plane Factory... 100_1226Purple Plane Factory... 100_1227
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Purple Plane Factory... Empty Re: Purple Plane Factory...

Post  ian1954 Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:12 pm

That looks really nice. How do you fill the tank? I could only see the pipe to the engine.

I know it must all be sealed.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:23 pm

Holy Crap Doug!

Either your the fastest builder or you had a lot of unfinished projects you are now just pumping out.

Nice plane let us know how it flies!

I am expecting to see a purple Super Ringmaster any day now Wink

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:26 pm

Oh, you know what? I'm gonna have to add a third line in there, to vent when filling, and cap it when done! Ha! Can't fill into the crankcase! Good call! (my first pressured COX) I'll get it. You just saved me a problem at the field, although, I usually run the engines in the driveway, after completing a model. This one, I've only run on the test stand, and had full access to the engine, so filling wasn't a problem. You got me!

The Super RingMaster is pushed back a little bit - I want to fly better before that one is done - but it's coming! Flew the Nobler yesterday.

Last edited by GUS THE I.A. on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Answer Ron.)
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:32 pm

I see, well I'll be waiting! How did the Nobler do? Did you add some tail weight to it?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Yep. It got some tail weight in mid-flight, when the muffler fell off! Ha ha! But, it needs more to get it to go around - it just doesn't have the balance right yet, to loop. A work in progress...
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:00 pm

Yeah I noticed it wasn't real responsive when I was flying it. That's why I only flew it level. I was too afraid to crack it up!

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:52 pm

We did a demo and discussion for 4 groups of Boy Scouts, yesterday, and I was able to put some short flights on the Contest Stik. I also had some Nobler time. 3/4 oz of lead in the tail is still not enough, but it is alot more fun on 72 foot lines! There was more wind yesterday than I had ever flown it in, and until the engine leaned-out some, it was getting dicey.You know, it has a .42 R/C engine on it now, wired to full throttle, and seems to not know what a 4-2-4 break is. So, I prop it to run like it wants to, and keep the pitch low, so speed is less of an issue. It's like swinging a sledge hammer around. It's getting more fun. I'm gonna keep it on the longer lines: it really is flying, when it's out that far; not just tethered, and spinning around. That poor plane has had a hard life, already.

On a side note:
I guess I have 2 engines in the contest. The one I'm running, and the one YOU'RE running! Ha ha. I'm glad it's working for you.
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:43 am

Hi everyone, again!

I was able to go flying on Sunday, and put two flights on the Baby Birdie. This Baby flies like it's on rails, almost. We had a direct crosswind, all day, maybe about 10 mph, but it was enough to be concerned with the launches. Well, I vented the crankcase pressure line to allow fueling, without filling the engine, and that works fine.

I'm having some difficulty getting power out of the engine, so it will fly with less angle of attack, and more on the virtues of the plane's design. I have tried a few different props: 6x3 gray COX, a Tornado 5x3, and a Top Flite 6x4 wood. So far, the best performance was with the TF 6x4. I almost pulled the black 5x3 from the Contest .051, to see if it works any different than the Tornado, because it REALLY hauls the Stik plane around, when I'm on the clock! Tach readings today were 16-17K, and prior to one launch, I read 22K on the tach. The needle is a 128 tpi type, and it required more fiddling than I usually permit when I pit (oh, sure...), to get it running. That, I do at home in the driveway - save the field for flying. Anyway... this is my 1st pressurized COX engine, and I'll bet I haven't hit on the right combination of needle and prop, yet, to get it "on song". The fuel is COX Super Power Fuel, available here in town, and is factory blended for these engines-and I don't add anything to it. It is labelled as 25% nitro, and it works fine in the .051.

Any ideas you could steer me with, I would appreciate greatly. This plane deserves to fly like it was intended.
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:58 am

GUS THE I.A. wrote:The fuel is COX Super Power Fuel, available here in town, and is factory blended for these engines-and I don't add anything to it. It is labelled as 25% nitro, and it works fine in the .051.

Any ideas you could steer me with, I would appreciate greatly. This plane deserves to fly like it was intended.
I would be careful with that stuff. Tower Hobbies wants you to ruin your engine. Here are the specs:"
Tower Hobbies. wrote:This is the quart (946ml) Bottle of Super Power 1/2A Fuel from Cox.

FEATURES: Premium blend 25% nitro formula is ideal for model airplane, car, or boat use Special 18% oil package consists of 90% synthetic, and 10% castor lubricant blend Latest high-tech synthetics combined with castor protects and lubricates the aluminum journals and plain steel bearings used in small displacement engines

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:52 pm

Ugh, really? I thought this was the cat's meow for what we're doing, here. You mean: the COX fuel isn't even suitable for their own engines? Dang! I thought I was on to something, when I found this fuel at the hobby shop. I can add castor...
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:41 pm

It seems like they would have more respect for the Cox brand name. Hobbico bought Estes in 2010 and so acquired the brand name and logo. But since no engine has actually been designed since Leroy Cox sold the company to Estes, they have no vested interest in filling the needs of owners of these old Cox engines. Here's a B.S. article from "© 2010-2013 Estes-Cox Corp. A subsidiary of Hobbico, Inc" where I got that purchase date:
http://www.coxmodels.com
Click "History" at the top.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:21 pm

So, SIG fuel? Dang, I sure thought I was on top of the curve when I started using the COX fuel. If Glowplugboy was here, he'd set me straight, too! What to do, what to do...

After some engine runs in the driveway, I found: 1-the glowhead was not fully tight, 2-the 6x3 gray COX prop has the most thrust, but not the highest RPM. I used the tach to check the Rs, and gravity to check the thrust-(hold the plane vertical, and see how light it becomes). That is really scientific! I think for curiosity's sake, I will sometime install my .051 Contest engine on the Baby Birdie, to see if there is any difference that way. I won't run the pressure backplate, then, because it runs just fine, the way it is now.

So, I'm getting screwed by that fuel? Crap! And, the hobby shop has so much of it! I thought I was on top of the world....
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Yeah Doug stay away. Put a skull and crossbones sign on it and warn your friends lol!

Your best bet locally would be the Powermaster Nitro Race 30% 9% castor/synth then add 4oz of Castor to it. Should bring the oil up to 19-20% and it will be mostly Castor. Nitro will drop down to 26% or so. Still plenty for sport flying. 1 quart of powermaster is around $8

Ron

Edit: Hangar has Benol Castor as He told me he was ordering some when I was there a while back. I think Finley's did too.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down