Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Best rechargeable(or not) glow igniter? Cox_ba12

Best rechargeable(or not) glow igniter? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Internet buy
by bsadonkill Today at 7:19 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by getback Today at 6:42 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by getback Today at 6:33 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Today at 6:15 am

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:43 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Yesterday at 4:59 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 10:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:43 am

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 7:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Mon May 13, 2024 7:49 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Best rechargeable(or not) glow igniter? Empty
Live on Patrol

Best rechargeable(or not) glow igniter?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Best rechargeable(or not) glow igniter? Empty Best rechargeable(or not) glow igniter?

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:12 am

I'm tired of dragging that old battery pack around. That was very inconvenient at the contest.

What's your favorite rechargeable glow starter? NiCad or NiMH? I want one of the short stem ones that will dependably light a plug. But I'm not sure whether the twist and turn or the spring clip ones are the best and most durable and make the best electrical connection. And I bet the twist and turn type won't fit a Norvel/Merlin clamp and drop-in plug. Maybe I need one of each.
I'm tired of dragging that rickety old battery pack with the clothes-pin clip around. That was very inconvenient at the contest.

Thanks,
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Best rechargeable(or not) glow igniter? Empty Re: Best rechargeable(or not) glow igniter?

Post  Kim Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:59 am

I've got both, with the aluminum bodies that let you unscrew the cap and replace the battery at the end of it's life.  I needed the long-stem one to reach the deeply recessed glow plug in one of my O.S. 4-Stroke Engines.  It's kinda "floppy" though, when used on anything other than a vertical engine.  The short-stem works fine with horizontal installations.  

They won't fit my Cox and Wen Mac engines, and since I had an extra wall-charger between the two, I cut the cord off one and soldered a Cox clip opposite to the adapter end.

Another accessory that gets used A LOT is the little Hobbico Micro Power Panel that has a quick-charger installed for these drivers.  It has a glow plug-like head that lets you hook up the driver just like you're putting it on a glow plug.  There's no time or charge limiter, just a green LED, so you got to watch it, but it seems to bring mine up to speed just fine.

Best rechargeable(or not) glow igniter? G_s_110

Best rechargeable(or not) glow igniter? G_s_2_10

Best rechargeable(or not) glow igniter? G_s_3_10

Of course, they both work off a single "Sub-C" cell, so your COULD just make one up with your clip installed, and rig a way to charge it.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Best rechargeable(or not) glow igniter? Empty Re: Best rechargeable(or not) glow igniter?

Post  Ken Cook Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:26 am

Something to keep in mind, nicad glo starters are very convenient. One major problem with them is safety. Some versions have a strong spring and will pop off like a mouse trap. I've had them go into the prop where I almost lost my teeth do to this. Typically when this happens, the battery departs one way and the metal tip goes the other. A twist lock style would be highly recommended opposed to the spring style. The other thing I've found is that some pilots forget to remove this from the cylinder head and then go flying with it on. I've had 1/4 Oz tip weights come off of planes and hit me so I can't imagine what a igniter would feel like.

The other factor when deciding if a nicad glo battery is a good solution is that they're only 1.2 volts. Depending on what type of plugs your using, they may not adequately light them off properly. As the temps drop and the engines therefore require more prime for starting the rechargeable nicads may not be up to par like drycells would be.

From an economical standpoint I've seen D cells soldered with a piece of heater cord about 6 feet long do probably a better job than any power panels or nicads. I've seen 4-6 cells ganged together and last up to 2 years. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:29 am

Excellent points Ken !!!

Another possible alternative is a "Baby Field Box" like the one in my photo.  With a light 12 volt battery to power it, a guy can use a clip with an extended wire, AND have a few tools handy for loose heads or screws.

It also gives the glow driver a "home" once the engine's going...I NEVER put a glow driver in my pocket...Rednecks are in enough danger around amps and flammable liquids WITHOUT putting other recreation devices at risk !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:49 am

Good points, thanks. And I did have the redneck pocket storage method in mind too. Just trying to streamline my cranking routine next time I am at a contest. I'd hate to be trying to fly shapely stunts with my pants on fire. lol!

Rusty 

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:38 am

RknRusty wrote:Good points, thanks. And I did have the redneck pocket storage method in mind too. Just trying to streamline my cranking routine next time I am at a contest. I'd hate to be trying to fly shapely stunts with my pants on fire. lol!

Rusty 
Though, from the pursuit of posterity standpoint, you WOULD remain in everyone's memories...probably forever...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:27 am

Haha, a dubious honor.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:15 am

RknRusty wrote:Haha, a dubious honor.
Possibly...but you know, few people on the street remember the fate of the USS Los Angles, but EVERYBODY remembers the Hindenburg !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:23 am

Now remember when you see the price Rusty, you did ask for the best glow driver. This is what a lot of the guys around here run. They say they only charge them once a year. Here's the link.
http://rcatsystems.com/rc.php

They are about $120 plus $10 for the rubber case.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:24 am

I can tell you one not to use. The one made by Hangar 9

I bought one a week ago and used it this past weekend. It's a twist lock style. I used it twice and when I pulled it off during the last use the stem stayed with the engine and the battery assembly was in my hand.

Piece of junk! $16

Those red Dubro ones work well. My LHS didn't have any so I bought a dud instead.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:17 am

Kim wrote:
RknRusty wrote:Haha, a dubious honor.
Possibly...but you know, few people on the street remember the fate of the USS Los Angles, but EVERYBODY remembers the Hindenburg !!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Los_Angeles_%28ZR-3%29

Getting decommissioned after years of good service is not very memorable.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:23 pm

Perhaps I was too harsh, I looked at it closely and all it was is the set screw came loose Embarassed 

So, with that said it works ok when you tighten the set screw. It also has a little amp meter built into it. It's probably not real accurate, but it will tell you if something is amiss with the glow plug.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:15 am

For Cox engines I still hold with the Cox two D cell battery pack (in paralell) with clip designed for Cox engines.

I also have a "Hot Shot" rechargeable but it doesn't fit a Cox nearly as well.  (You need three hands to use them)  lol! 

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks for all the replies. That's what I wanted, a bunch of ideas and opinions all in one place so I can compare and think about it.

For solo field flying and fooling around, I think I'll build a nice twin D box with soldered spring loaded copper contacts and a spring clamp on a wire. For times when I'm either taking turns with others or in the occasional contest where I need to keep clutter contained, I will decide between a stem type with a manual spring release or push and twist. And also whether to get a re-chargeable or replaceable battery. Wayne told me he had accidentally unscrewed a glow plug with a push and twist stem type. But I've seen him tighten a plug, and I definitely horse it in a little tighter than he does.

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:28 pm

I bought this today on e-bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271311211253?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

$5 bucks and I was the only bidder.
I can put an alkaline or a rechargeable D cell in it.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:42 am

The problem with NiCad and NiMh is that the battery has to be absolute fully charge in order to deliver anything near 1.5V. With extension wire and glow clip for cox you will also loose some power in the wires.

The best glowdriver I have owned so far is the LiPo one from Dynamite RC

It will give you the right voltage independent on battery charge status and it is just as small as the short stem NiCad/NiMh ones. For cox engines with stock head you still need the wires, while with the Norvels and insert style the glow driver sort of works as it is. But it can easily come off when there is no regular glow plug so be a bit careful.

Best rechargeable(or not) glow igniter? DYN1926-250
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:49 am

Hi Kris, I never trusted rechargeable batteries for any high current applications. I'd definitely consider a glow plug high current. I'll use alkalines in it, and always keep spares in my box. And for my 1/2A engines I still have the dependable old Cox box with thick wires on it.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:01 pm

Depends how you wanna go about it.
If you don't mind adding 5/6 grams to the aircraft I added one of these to
most of my (sadly dwindling) glow aircraft in the last couple years.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RC-ONBOARD-GLOW-PLUG-DRIVER-IGNITER-NEW-FROM-UK-SELLER-/380685607609?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item58a2a162b9

It's on the glow all the time so no faffing around with clips etc, you just
need to fashion a socket/plug for the battery.
I used a 4000mah 2 cell lipo which I think I charged twice last year.

I also have one with a small 700 mah 4 cell nimh that's fitted in the aircraft
once started (usually first flip) it stays running until the fuel runs out or I
stop it. If fact thinking about it that engine (which was never very reliable) hasn't
missed a beat since I fitted it no matter how over rich or what different fuel I've chucked
in it.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:00 pm

Rusty:

So tell us about what's so great about a rechargeable unit? Did I miss something? Very Happy 

Are you selling them? Shh 

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:09 pm

I think Rusty is looking for an igniter unit and use alkaline batteries in it.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:33 pm

SuperDave wrote:Rusty:

So tell us about what's so great about a rechargeable unit?  Did I miss something?  Very Happy 

Are you selling them?    Shh 

SD
Dave, I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm sure not talking them up or selling them. See the following quote from above:
RknRusty wrote:...I never trusted rechargeable batteries for any high current applications....
I was going to get a replaceable alkaline type, but Wayne called me from a hobby shop on his way home from Huntersville Saturday evening and told me he picked up a rechargeable one for me. He says the sub C battery is good for a couple of years. So I guess I have a rechargeable one after all.

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:52 pm

It's what I am using and it seems to make em' glow even in 20 degree temps.

I have had it for a couple months and only charged it twice.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Ron:

Presumably Rusty has a charger for those rechargable alkalines then.

This whole matter isn't my worry.  I just wanted to read Rusty's reasoning.

SD       Turkey
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:17 pm

pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:41 pm

SuperDave wrote:Ron:

Presumably Rusty has a charger for those rechargable alkalines then.

This whole matter isn't my worry.  I just wanted to read Rusty's reasoning.

SD       Turkey
I haven't seen it yet, Wayne still has it. I don't know what kind of battery it has. My original intent was to get a Non rechargeable Alky, one where you toss the battery for a new one when it dies. But now apparently he got me some sort of rechargeable doohicky, a Dyna-Glow brand. I'll let you know when I get it. Tuesday looks like a good day for us to go fly, so maybe I'll have it then.

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next