Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sanding the primer coat Cox_ba12

Sanding the primer coat Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 10:24 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 7:20 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Today at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 4:02 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by roddie Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 11:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 3:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sanding the primer coat Empty
Live on Patrol

Sanding the primer coat

Go down

Sanding the primer coat Empty Sanding the primer coat

Post  RknRusty Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:37 pm

It seems that lately I've started caring more about how my finish looks. I sprayed the flaps with gray rattlecan primer and used 220 to sand it down almost to the bare wood, and completely exposed a few patches of wood. There were still a few spots still showing grain, so I applied another coat to fill it in and it's ready for sanding again. Should I sand only in the direction of the grain, or use a circular motion... or does it even matter. I believe it shouldn't be glassy smooth so the paint will grip it.
Gracias,

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Sanding the primer coat Empty Re: Sanding the primer coat

Post  Ken Cook Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Rusty, I know your very meticulous about your finishes. I also feel that in the stage your in , nice finishes can also result in heartbreak. When your start going for the maneuvers that can rekit an airplane, nice finishes is certainly the last thing on your to do list. When finsihing a plane, most builders put a minimun of 5-6 coats of butyrate clear on the plane first. Why? when thinned down to a 60/40 ratio of thinner being the 60, the dope soaks well into the balsa and strengthens the wood. The dope also seals the wood. When you do initially get into spraying the primer, your going to sand almost all of it off. This will show all the lows and highs. Thin coats are in order as they dry far quicker and make sanding without balling up on the paper much easier.

I use 320 wet to quickly level the surfaces. The problem happens if you break through down to bare wood. In your case if you have no sealer/dope under the primer this is going to happen immediately whereas the clear would give you that much more protection without the weight penalty of the heavy pigment primer.

Flaps and elevator areas are sanded with a flat block to level the surfaces. Holding them up to the light(candling) will reveal all highs and lows. After the primer, I use a silver blocking coat just misted onto the primer. If my plane looks like a piece of mill finish aluminum, I know it's ready for color. I use spot putty to fill in defects that are small and grain areas. Grain will not be filled in with paint. Even silkspanned wood will still reveal the grain in the wood. This is why silkspan works well as it provides a lightweight and strengthful means without adding tons of primer.

My advice if this primer is shot directly over bare wood is to sand initially with 240, spray again and go to 320. A lightweight coat to make it all look even and follow that with a red scuff pad prior to painting. Typically sanding in the direction of the grain but the scuff pad can be orientated in multi directions. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:32 pm

Got it, thanks Ken. I tried to find aerogloss 65-4, but the LHSs were out of it, so I went straight on with the primer. So for this round, I'll skip straight to the last paragraph and do that. I did not know about the red scuff pad, thanks for that, I'll get one when I make my next pant supply run. I gotta get some dope for my future work. The Yak is what I'm working on now. I should have the Skyray kit in my hands next week and it's next in line.

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down