Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Electric  Control line Flight - How hard can it be? Cox_ba12

Electric  Control line Flight - How hard can it be? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:09 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I break for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 6:27 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 12:09 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Electric  Control line Flight - How hard can it be? Empty
Live on Patrol

Electric Control line Flight - How hard can it be?

Go down

Electric  Control line Flight - How hard can it be? Empty Electric Control line Flight - How hard can it be?

Post  ian1954 Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:14 am

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Electric  Control line Flight - How hard can it be? Empty Re: Electric Control line Flight - How hard can it be?

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:25 am

Ian,

Not hard at all, like I mentioned in your other post it has several advantages. It just sounds wrong.

A lot of CL guys have gone that route due to obvious reasons. The good thing is they have a bunch of glow models they no longer need. That's where I come in... lol! 

Electric  Control line Flight - How hard can it be? Xkv6Rz0l

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Electric  Control line Flight - How hard can it be? Empty Re: Electric Control line Flight - How hard can it be?

Post  duke.johnson Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:47 am

I think all the top guys at the NATS are flying E-planes now.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:31 pm

duke.johnson wrote:I think all the top guys at the NATS are flying E-planes now.

I'm sure it's great to have rock-steady runs using a brushless motor with an accelerometer that easily duplicates that sweet-spot that other fliers work so hard to achieve with their glow engines for Precision Aerobatics.

Sorry... but "real" (full-scale) aircraft have petrol-fueled engines... I would agree that the "plug-and-play" of electrics is easier and less messy... and the reduced weight of the components involved is amazing.

Let's just hope they don't come up with any "scale-electric" events at the NATS... to me; that would just be wrong.

Part of owning an airplane; is knowing how to tune it's engine and fuel system for optimal performance. It's mostly the "noise" factor that gives electrics their edge... and the fact that their power-to-weight ratio is competitive to an IC engines'... given the latest battery technology and motor developments.

Sorry again... I'm just blowing-off some exhaust here... tongue
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:28 pm

Nah,

I get it, even the electric folks still like their glow engines. I think if you want the competitive edge in PA electric provides that.

I have heard cases where as folks age their skin becomes sensitive to glow fuel. Electric allows them to still fly.

I also agree that tuning is a part of the game and adds some spice to the hobby. In the end it's up to the individual.

Did I mention I like glow? Very Happy 
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  daddyo Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:41 pm

put a playing card in the prop for that life-like sound
daddyo
daddyo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:27 pm

I'm OK with electric scale if it brings participants.

I think it is electric scale regardless of the size of airplane, unless it became via ratio (1:8 1:12, 1:16, or whatever it actually is) with glow competing against electric in the same ratio

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Pb_psj1A8

Up until the last year or so, I hadn't flown much R/C, the summer before this I dragged out my O.S. (gas) powered, modified Sig Kadet, a couple younger guys I'd never seen before kind of commented something to the effect that it was an oddity, I guess I hadn't realized that Electric has become the norm in R/C and i'd probably guess it will be in the next 2-3 years in C/L?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:28 pm

Wayne is dabbling in electric C/L. This Summer he built a nice eNobler to learn the differences in trim and construction. and just this month he's been trimming his eSmoothie. I haven't seen it yet, but the profile Nobler is really nice. They really do trim differently. I think the moments are different and they react differently to leadout position changes. He hasn't offered to let me fly one. lol! I want to fly his TT46 powered Cardinal, but I'm not expecting an offer on that either. I guess he's seen me hit the ground too many times. Rolling Eyes I busted the tail of of that floatyass Clownlikething last time out. An outside loop was 4 inches below the sky. That dang thing was all over the place... but I digress.

Wreckin' Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:40 pm

....hey, nobody said it was gonna be easy!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:07 pm

RknRusty wrote:Wayne is dabbling in electric C/L. This Summer he built a nice eNobler to learn the differences in trim and construction. and just this month he's been trimming his eSmoothie. I haven't seen it yet, but the profile Nobler is really nice. They really do trim differently. I think the moments are different and they react differently to leadout position changes. He hasn't offered to let me fly one. :lol!:I want to fly his TT46 powered Cardinal, but I'm not expecting an offer on that either. I guess he's seen me hit the ground too many times. Rolling Eyes I busted the tail of of that floatyass Clownlikething last time out. An outside loop was 4 inches below the sky. That dang thing was all over the place... but I digress.

Wreckin' Rusty

You can fly my Lew Woolard Fox .40 powered Cardinal anytime you want Rusty!!!

Problem is I am 100's of miles away.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:38 am

This is more my speed!

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:02 am

I'd like to try that. I bet you gotta learn to like almost no line tension. And no wind either. Maybe I'll set up a throttle on my Mustang after the races if it has a wedge tank. Can't throttle a bladder fed one, and I haven't decided which way to go with that. I wish I hadn't given all of my FT postage stamps to JaspurX. Rolling Eyes

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:56 am

I can send you one if you want.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:04 am

ian1954 wrote:This is more my speed!

That's pretty amazing... That's not a small airplane... It must be incredibly lightweight. The motor must be very small (light) and I'm surprised it pulls that well... for that duration.

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:06 am

Cribbs74 wrote:I can send you one if you want.
Thanks, Ron. First I'll root around in my fuel junk drawer. There could be one in there. The spray bar is all I need, I even have a spare needle.

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:00 am

I wouldn't in any way discount EP C/L flying as a possiblity for it may be "the wave of the future".

Until such time nitro fuel is no longer available I'll continue to use it. My current supply should take me some years ahead as I no longer fly as frequently as I once did.

There much to be said about tradition in modeling.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:38 am

roddie wrote:
duke.johnson wrote:I think all the top guys at the NATS are flying E-planes now.

Sorry... but "real" (full-scale) aircraft have petrol-fueled engines...

Not for much longer
 Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:46 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Nah,

I have heard cases where as folks age their skin becomes sensitive to glow fuel. Electric allows them to still fly.

Did I mention I like glow? Very Happy 

Hello!

Just a salutary tale
In the last 40 or so years when drinking it, splashing over me etc I never gave it a second thought.....

Last year I seemed to get 'sunburnt' after a days flying even when there had been no sun.
Now, I am so allergic to the stuff it's untrue.
If I had my time over I'd wear nitrile (or similar) gloves and I wouldn't be as keen to hang around in the
prop stream of glow motors as I once was. I believe it's the Methanol Me doesn't like.

Sad Sad
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:29 am

Hmmm, maybe I should be more careful.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:58 pm

I have to be real careful now with CA adhesives. If I'm gluing-up anything with CA... I set-up a box-fan behind me on a chair, or something to elevate it.. and run the fan on slow speed... just enough for a little circulation.

Years ago I had an old upright piano. Believe it or not; the "action" of an upright (vertical as opposed to horizontal) acoustic piano, was deemed; one of the most complex mechanical actions at the time it was first conceived.  There are "H" shaped "jacks" (88 of them...) involved, that sit spaced out evenly, in separate joints on a rail, and are an integral part of what makes the hammer hit the string. My piano was a 1935 "Francis Bacon"... and the glue that was originally used to mount these jacks, had aged and become dry and brittle. If a "jack" comes loose; the hammer wont move when that piano key is pressed. The 1st time this happened, I had to use tweezers to relocate the tensioned jack; to hold it in place.. and re-glue it with thin CA. The 2nd time it happened to a different note.. (it was only a few months later) so I decided to remove the whole rack (hammer/action assembly) and put it on a bench to re-glue/reinforce the other 87 jacks with thin CA. Soon after; I developed moderate sinus/respiratory sensitivity... and would experience "itchiness" (all over my body) that I needed to take antihistamine for, to relieve. This lasted for several years...

At that time; I was unaware of what "over-exposure" to Cyanoacrylate can cause in some individuals. I read about it years later. I am now more careful when I use chemicals; to have proper ventilation.

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down