Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Doing camoflage model aircraft finishes: guidance needed Cox_ba12

Doing camoflage model aircraft finishes: guidance needed Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:00 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 6:26 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by Kim Today at 5:46 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:29 am

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Today at 9:49 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by rsv1cox Today at 9:39 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 6:32 am

» M1Fan...who are you?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:07 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:19 pm

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Doing camoflage model aircraft finishes: guidance needed Empty
Live on Patrol

Doing camoflage model aircraft finishes: guidance needed

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Doing camoflage model aircraft finishes: guidance needed Empty Doing camoflage model aircraft finishes: guidance needed

Post  SuperDave Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:47 am

I'm looking to build a 28" span Guillow's "Spitfire' with a camoflage finish as illustrated on the model box.

I am torn between useing butyrate dope or one of the modern synthetic finishes. If I could find a good video tutorial on the subject of aircraft model camo finishes it would be of great assistance.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? I greatly appreciate any responses.

Thank you.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Doing camoflage model aircraft finishes: guidance needed Empty Re: Doing camoflage model aircraft finishes: guidance needed

Post  PV Pilot Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:27 am

A home hydro dip kit might work out for you and it only takes minutes. This is just a idea thrown out there, I have personally never tried one of these kits but I have seen objects done with it, but the uniformity is amazing when done right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prOzE6DiSao

PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Doing camoflage model aircraft finishes: guidance needed Empty camo

Post  dankar04 Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:55 am

Sig and Brodak have camo flat colors. Quite easy to do and you could try it on sample wood. Get good photo of camo plane and copy. Real ones they just painted it on also.
Dan
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Doing camoflage model aircraft finishes: guidance needed Empty Re: Doing camoflage model aircraft finishes: guidance needed

Post  SuperDave Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:02 pm

Thanks, PV interesting concept but I wonder how well it would adapt to camoflaging a model aircraft. The dipping process would concern me

I was also thinking of using an air brush or sprayer for camo application.

Just looking for ideas now but I believe butyrate dope/spray application holds the edge. I'm hoping more will show up here on the modeling forum.

I'm sure that Ron Cribbs will be following this too.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:35 pm

SD,

I was looking at the monokote page and they also sell paint that is compatible with monokote and fuel proof. You could mask and spray it on or air brush...........
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:31 am

Was just parusing Micro mark and came across this masking material.
http://www.micromark.com/Parafilm-M,7551.html
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:07 am

PV:

Thank you for the link to parafilm it looks like a good way to apply camo finishes to models.

In my duck hunting days I applied camo finishes to aluminum boats so I've familiar with the principles of camo painting on a larger scale but not on something the size of a model aircraft. The principle involves confusing the outline of the object which, on a model aircraft, would mean light colors below and darker colors above much as fish appear naturally comoflaged in nature.

How many fish have you seen with dark underbellies?
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:28 am

SuperDave wrote:PV:

Thank you for the link to parafilm it looks like a good way to apply camo finishes to models.

In my duck hunting days I applied camo finishes to aluminum boats so I've familiar with the principles of camo painting on a larger scale but not on something the size of a model aircraft. The principle involves confusing the outline of the object which, on a model aircraft, would mean light colors below and darker colors above much as fish appear naturally comoflaged in nature.

How many fish have you seen with dark underbellies?

You will have to bear in mind that WW2 camo patterns for British aircraft bore no resemblance to what is used today. Spitfires normally had dark earth/dark green upper camouflage, placed in irregular shaped, sharp-edged patterns, the undersides were "Duck-egg blue (or green)" which is a colour constantly argued about in scale model circles, since the exact colour is unknown, and varied depending on where the a/c were painted.
There are plenty of coloured 3-views of Spits on the web to pick a pattern from.

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:55 am

Last edited by Mudhen on Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:13 am

Wilf:

Most likely, in the rush to get Spit's into the air for combat against the Luftwaffe in the 1940 "Battle of Britain", there was no particualr camo pattern used by the Brits and each plane was probably unique as to pattern.

The Guillow's model box has an excellent pix example to follow in doing mine. Now to find an air brush for the application.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:50 am

Mudhen wrote:
Using thin cardboard - no thicker than a 3x5 card, cut out the shape of the camouflage for a particular segment on the model. Apply small, spherical dollops of modeler's clay, (about the size of a pin head,) underneath the cardboard cut-out. Have several pieces of clay for outlining each edge and following the shape of the cut-out, but inset from the edge by a 1/4 inch. Then press the cut-out onto the model. The closer you press the cut-out, the sharper the edge, but it will still fade. Then airbrush your color over the mask.

Yup -- works great. I sometimes cut a single long mask, then by using one end or the other and flipping it over, I can get multiple patterns.

A good double action airbrush can also be used to freehand patterns.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:29 pm

SuperDave wrote:Wilf:

Most likely, in the rush to get Spit's into the air for combat against the Luftwaffe in the 1940 "Battle of Britain", there was no particualr camo pattern used by the Brits and each plane was probably unique as to pattern.

The Guillow's model box has an excellent pix example to follow in doing mine. Now to find an air brush for the application.

True, and of course the pattern/colours varied across all marks during the war, and even from season to season. In these pictures the earth/green is an early 1940 Mk 1, the second is a Mk9 in "Spring" camouflage of earth/grey

Wilf

Doing camoflage model aircraft finishes: guidance needed Spitfi10

Doing camoflage model aircraft finishes: guidance needed Spitfi11
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:50 pm

I prefer the latter of those two.
Much more pleasant.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:33 pm

nitro:

I can visualize where the former would be more appropriate for the operations in the North African desert.

BTW, my late US Army vet father-in-law once told me of accidently shooting down a Spitfire during the North Africa campaign that came over his unit low and fast. The plane crashed but the British pilot escaped unharmed but irrate. Mad Mad Mad

My f-i-l salvaged the plane's compass which I still have in my den today.

No, I'm NOT returning the compass! Shocked

Last edited by SuperDave on Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:51 pm

SuperDave wrote:nitro:

I can visualize where the former would be more appropriate for the operations in the North African desert.

BTW, my late US Army vet father-in-law once told me of accidently shooting down a Spitfire during the North Africa campaign that came over his unit low and fast. The plane crashed but the British pilot escaped unharmed but irrate. Mad Mad Mad

My f-i-l salaged the plane's compass which I still have in my den today.

No, I'm NOT returning the compass! Shocked

Cool i wish i had that compass:)
BUt that thing of shooting down the Spit, well it was his fault for showing off or being uncautious or whatever.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:16 pm

In aircraft combat operations planes are often shot down by "friendly fire' especially when their nationality isn't known and they fly low and fast.

My f-i-l took the Spit down using a BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) and after the Spit pilot's initial rage they became friends until the Brit was returned to his unit after several months.

Both have been deceased now for over thirty years.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:21 pm

SuperDave wrote:In aircraft combat operations planes are often shot down by "friendly fire' especially when their nationality isn't known and they fly low and fast.

My f-i-l took the Spit down using a BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) and after the Spit pilot's initial rage they became friends until the Brit was returned to his unit after several months.

Bar!
I like those weren't they sort of the first automatic rifle or portable machine gun.
It was shot from the ground Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:09 pm

SuperDave wrote:In aircraft combat operations planes are often shot down by "friendly fire' especially when their nationality isn't known and they fly low and fast.

"friendly fire" incidents happened quite a bit during WW2 be it poor communications or mistaken identity. My Grandfather who just turned 90 told me he shot a couple of his pals in Normandy who thought it would be funny to pop out from behind some hay bales wearing German helmets. He told me that when he was very sick once, not sure why he did, but he hasn't said much to anyone before or since.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:18 pm

cribbs74 wrote:

"friendly fire" incidents happened quite a bit during WW2 be it poor communications or mistaken identity. My Grandfather who just turned 90 told me he shot a couple of his pals in Normandy who thought it would be funny to pop out from behind some hay bales wearing German helmets. He told me that when he was very sick once, not sure why he did, but he hasn't said much to anyone before or since.

Shot dead?
that would be a terrible joke on themselves.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:59 pm

I can't imagine anyone "clowning" like that on the battlefield. It's a good way to get shot dead and get visit from a "Sky Pilot".

Remember the tune by that name by Eric Burden and "The Animals"?
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:23 pm

cribbs74 wrote:

Nitro, Not sure if they were shot dead to be honest, he didn't go into detail. he seemed pretty upset about it though.

SD, I am sure clowning did happen as we only see the glorified stuff on TV/movies or hear stories from time to time. He gave me a book a few years back written by a field officer in his regiment. Basicially it told the story of the regiments journey from beginning to end. It did have a lot of photo's some that my grandfather were in. The things was most photo's were of guys just hanging out and goofing off in various places throughout Europe. The stories of various battles were detailed and the pictures were shot to coincide with the events. Some were somber but most not. I have been active duty for 17 years and we have a good time even when things around us are not so grand it kind of breaks the tension. Either way just relating a 'friendly fire" story that stuck in my head.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:20 am

Well I suppose i would feel like that weather they were dead or alive I am sure being shot isnt the nicest feeling!
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:31 am

nitroairplane wrote:Well I suppose i would feel like that weather they were dead or alive I am sure being shot isnt the nicest feeling!

Nor is being intentionally shot at awaiting round that might have your name on it. Surprised
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:37 am

Thats is true! Bang!
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:47 pm

SuperDave wrote:
nitroairplane wrote:Well I suppose i would feel like that weather they were dead or alive I am sure being shot isnt the nicest feeling!

Nor is being intentionally shot at awaiting round that might have your name on it. Surprised

It's not the bullet that has your name on it you have to worry about...it's all those other ones marked "To whom it may concern."

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next