Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Flight of the Magnum Cox_ba12

Flight of the Magnum Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by roddie Today at 9:36 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 9:33 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Kim Today at 8:53 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Today at 8:45 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Flight of the Magnum Empty
Live on Patrol

Flight of the Magnum

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Flight of the Magnum Empty Flight of the Magnum

Post  RknRusty Tue May 20, 2014 6:51 pm

I'll writ a report after I chill a while. I feel like I've been riding a horse. lol! 

As usual, click the gear icon in the veiwer and drop down to 480p if it's jerky.
https://youtu.be/By9s8KkhClo

Last edited by RknRusty on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Flight of the Magnum Empty Re: Flight of the Magnum

Post  Cribbs74 Tue May 20, 2014 7:29 pm

Smooooooooth!

Best way to describe it. Your second OH8 was pretty good. Heck all your OH8's looked better than mine.

I'd say you have a great flier and you are well on the way to intermediate Rusty.

How did you like it?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue May 20, 2014 8:27 pm

I do like it, but not at first. The plane came home with a prop on it that I assumed Will and Wayne had been testing with, a Zinger 12x6. It pulled so hard that it was dragging me off of my center spot, especially in the high maneuvers, I actually hopped on every loop of the OH8 and my shoulder, elbow, hand and hips hurt after the second flight. We took a lunch break and I suggested we try a 12x4 that was in an assortment that came with the plane. I put it on for the third flight and she dropped right into my comfort zone and I was now the boss. I really felt in control and at home with it, and for the first time was smiling when I landed. Speaking of which, that's one thing I can do with this plane that I've struggled with on my others, grease a landing. This one touches down like an ice skater on fresh ice. really nice. Wayne called me later this afternoon after recalling that they had been testing with a 12x5. Neither of us has any idea how the 12x6 got on it, but I'm sure relieved I tried the 12x4. It was the magic.

It has an open air uniflow 6 ounce tank, and gets gradually faster throughout the run. Next time out I'm going to hook it up to the muffler and see if it evens out some. The FX is a mean ball bearing engine, and I had a really hard time cranking it. It likes to be really wet to fire off. The bearings are shot too, they make a racket when you're right there at the field, not on video though. That's an easy fix and it'll probably be easier to flip start with new ones. My shoulder is shot now, partly from flipping the prop, but hopefully not for long though. I need to get a set of .018 lines for this one. I forgot to weigh it, but it's probably in that range.

It was quite an experience. I wish we could have gotten my last flight, but the camera died after recording two of Wayne's flights on his Smoothie and Vector. I always seem to miss the one I want to show off the most. It's going to be in the shop for repairs now. If I keep flying it protected by packing tape and glue smears, it'll die an early death. I want this one to last so I can pass it on when I get too old and feeble to fly it.
For a moment I thought I was there today. lol! 
I'm relieved to know I can handle it now.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue May 20, 2014 9:06 pm

It looked like you had no problem with it, but I am glad you find it more comfortable with the 12x4. As with anything the more you do it the easier it will be. I noticed the first time I flew with the Cardinal that it had more pull than the Ringmaster and Super Clown.

How much does that beast weigh?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue May 20, 2014 9:12 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:....How much does that beast weigh?
I keep forgetting to weigh it, but the kit says it should be 47-50 oz., or about 3 lbs.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu May 22, 2014 8:24 pm

If you're interested in the story behind the Magnum and why I have it, I wrote an open letter of appreciation to the Norfolk Aeromodelers in the Open forum on Stunthangar this morning. You don't have to be a member to access this area. Here it is:
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=35336.0
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu May 22, 2014 10:58 pm

so what engine did you end up using?

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri May 23, 2014 6:39 am

Nice, Rusty that looked like FUN there of coarse you always make it look easy.... Smoking Man that is a big plane, glad its fling well for you , Getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri May 23, 2014 10:49 am

pkrankow wrote:so what engine did you end up using?

Phil
Well shoot, I answered last night and it disappeared. Maybe I didn't click Send.
Anyway, it's an OS .46fx. A converted ball bearing RC engine. Lots more power than I would expect from such a displacement. The Magnum is rated as .40 to .60, but i assume that means plain bearing engines. This one seems like plenty, it flies with extreme authority, Like I mentioned in my report, I had to prop it down to feel like I was the boss. I'm going to order a new set of bearings for it from Boca.

Thanks Eric, it always looks easy. the first time I ever saw a CLPA pattern, I thought to myself, piece o' cake I got this. I thought I was so badass zipping my little planes around in the sky, but this sport cut me down to size in short order.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:55 pm

Well now after two years of crashless flying, I have destroyed both of my go-to Stunters in a period of 3 weeks. So while I'm building the Oriental... and I am making progress... the Magnum is the one I'll be flying. I got her down and took the power plant and tank out to inspect everything. Spackled, sanded and fixed it up the nose and painted it black with Aerogloss, so it will be ready for our Sunday excursion.

Ron and I weighed it and it looks like almost 70 ounces if I recall correctly. I found a lighter muffler that fits, so I'll try that. I just don't have any .018" lines. But my .015s are new and very securely wrapped at the terminations so I'll use those just this one time.

Man that dope dries as fast as you brush it on, looks like good stuff. I think it's the old formula that's been in the LHS since forever.I can't wait to fly this bird. Sunday is our planned expedition and the weather report has changed to look very promising. Bob Zambelli called me yesterday and invited us to come fly at his house, so I'm getting pumped. Can't wait. I'll get it on video. And I will not wreck it either. Hopefully I got that outta' my system and I'm good for a couple more years of safe landings. One can only hope. lol
Stay tuned.
Rusty... and Cribbs, my newest flying buddy.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi Rusty,

Nice report and great flying, thanks for posting the video, the Magnum should do well for you!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:36 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Hi Rusty,

Nice report and great flying, thanks for posting the video, the Magnum should do well for you!
Hi Mark, yeah I have great expectations. That video was from last May after I won the beginner contest. I'll be doing full patterns this next time out. I think I can do really well with it. I hope I can show y'all what I've got now.

We'll be taking the Shoestring and the Yak too so we'll really have some fun stuff to fly. I think I'm going to switch out the Thunder Tiger for the fp25 that was on the Osprey and put a longer control horn on the SS too. As for your old TT, I think I'll set it up on something to fly fast with a bladder. I finally figured out that engine likes higher nitro. Last Sunday Ron flew it with 25% and it didn't cough so much. I'll get it matched up with a more suitable airframe like maybe the Streak Ron is giving me. That should be right in its wheelhouse for fast and fun.

Are you getting any flying done lately? I know you have a lot of other hobbies. I'd like to try disk golf, but my shoulder says not to. I think I could have been good at it, as I was always really good at playing with frisbees.

And BTW, go Huskers! Looks like Bo has them clicking. The Cocks have a great offense, but the D has just been ruining the season for us. Y'all would clobber us if we had a rematch this year.

Fun fun fun,
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:01 am

I am afraid I can't help this comment!

Does this mean that you are moving on to a proper model aeroplane and leaving behind the silhouetty things?

I enjoyed the video - it looked graceful! and you showed confidence by stunting a new (new to you) model on the second flight.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:34 am

Ian,
I grew up with profiles, so to me the seem normal...I remember going to a R/C airplane display at the local Mall back in the early eighties and remember thinking those R/C planes fuselages looked fat!

Rusty, remember those "modern" R/C engines are happiest turning RPM and don't want to lug or 2-4-2 much, I got to wonder if bladder pressure or muffler pressure would eliminate that sag on hard corners.

Here's a video of me "flying" a Discgolf disc, if you look way down at end of fairway you can see it bounce, i'm getting a little over 100 yards on my throws, which isn't bad for a old fart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tup0Z_yUdE&feature=youtu.be

Hopefully the Huskers can get by Wisconsin, biggest game of the year!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:33 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Ian,
I grew up with profiles, so to me the seem normal...I remember going to a R/C airplane display at the local Mall back in the early eighties and remember thinking those R/C planes fuselages looked fat!

Fat! Fat!! Fat!!!

Svelte

Flight of the Magnum Svelte10

Flight of the Magnum Svelte11

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:25 pm

ian1954 wrote:I am afraid I can't help this comment!

Does this mean that you are moving on to a proper model aeroplane and leaving behind the silhouetty things?

I enjoyed the video - it looked graceful! and you showed confidence by stunting a new (new to you) model on the second flight.
Thanks Ian. Graceful. That's probably the best compliment I've had on the appearance of any of my flights. And yes, I am getting more into full fuse planes with the Oriental and the magnum, but not leaving profiles entirely. They are simple and tough and make great beaters/trainers.

Here is what I had to repair on the Mag. The covering was peeling badly, so I stripped it off in some places back to the wing. Spackled with drywall compound, hardened it with super thin CA, and painted with black Aerogloss. I know that stuff has a bad name now, but I wanted something I didn't have to wait more than a day or two to fly. I am not going to risk spraying Lustrekote clear on it, but it says it's fuelproof up to 25%.

Then:
Flight of the Magnum Magnum10

And Now:
Flight of the Magnum Magnum11

The fiberglass and wood tank cover is also black but not installed in the picture.

It's now ready for me to put the engine and tank back in it.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:16 pm

It may not be concours but it is a beauty. It is more like a miniature aeroplane than a "model" aeroplane when the engine is enclosed.

This does mean though that the inside has to be well fuel proofed. It would be difficult to clean inside without taking the engine out. That is obviously and advantage with a profile model - you can get to everything quickly.

I must make my attempt at control line. I am lining up models ready to smash but I am having trouble talkin SWTSMBO into assisting. She is terrified of spinning propellers - unfortunately she has witnessed episodes with me and spinning propellers!

I find it easier to saunter down to the local field (5 minutes amble) - batteries in pocket, aeroplane under one arm and transmitter on other arm. Launch and go. I sometimes fly them around me in a circle and image they are CL! I don't have line tension issues though but have to be careful flying that close to the ground.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:04 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Ian,
...Rusty, remember those "modern" R/C engines are happiest turning RPM and don't want to lug or 2-4-2 much, I got to wonder if bladder pressure or muffler pressure would eliminate that sag on hard corners.

Here's a video of me "flying" a Discgolf disc, if you look way down at end of fairway you can see it bounce, i'm getting a little over 100 yards on my throws, which isn't bad for a old fart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tup0Z_yUdE&feature=youtu.be

Hopefully the Huskers can get by Wisconsin, biggest game of the year!
Man, that's quite a hurl you laid onto that disk!

I am thinking of outfitting the Thunder Tiger with a bladder before I hack up the beam to mount a new engine on the Shoestring, It has that sprinkler/Super Tigre NVA now, and I bet I can make an NV similar to the ones I use in my Norvel engines. Or maybe an OS#1A NVA as Ken suggested for an fp25 in another thread.
This might be the one he's referring to, I'm not sure yet.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCR44&P=ML

One of these days I'm going to get that darn thing to run right.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:00 pm

Yep, I bet you will, I gotta think the sagging in the corners are due to fuel starvation (hopefully Ken will read this) I'm thinking increase RPM, decrease load as well as improve fuel flow by bladder or muffler should work?

That Magnum is a nice plane, I started to build one years ago, but never got it done...I 'll probably need to find a home for it someday. I was going to use a ST .56 for it.

I forgot to mention, as I was teeing off, we noticed two planes flying pretty high (you can hear them in video) I had a hard time seeing them, but one actually looked like a p-40...

I really enjoy the challenge of disc golf, but I gotta tell you, after a 2-3 hours of tromping around in the woods, I'm ready for a nap!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:14 pm

Here's a question. I was about to start another thread, but since we're on the Magnum... I realized too late to order in time, I don't have any .018" flying lines. This Magnum is overweight, I think Ron and I weighed it at about 69 ounces the other day. If we go to Zambelli's house Sunday, I'm sure he'll have a set, but he hasn't called me back since he invited me Wednesday. He gets busy and plans change. Wayne is out of town. So if Ron and I go to the fort, it'll likely just be the two of us in danger of accidentally riding a runaway plane. My .015" lines are new this season, wrapped correctly by me with 28g copper and free of damage. How would y'all feel about putting up 5 or 6 flights on those lines? I'll ask over at SH too and see what the GOM say about it.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:36 pm

I think you'd be fine, didn't the AMA change there rules on lines?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:59 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:I think you'd be fine, didn't the AMA change there rules on lines?
Yes, my plane's weight falls in the low end of the .018" category.
40-64oz requires .015"
64.1-90oz requires .018"

I think we can trust it for a few flights. All AMA rules are overkill anyway.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:00 am

Rusty, you need .018's. However, condition is everything. That plane isn't pulling 45 lbs at any given time although it probably feels that way. It's probably pulling approximately 12-16 pounds. The breaking strength is 4 times that on .015's.  The problem with .015's is the termination in the event of a jerk. I've flown some pretty honkin stuff which should've been flown on .018's. I have to ask what line length are you using? Just so you know and I think you do, line size is based on model weights and not engine size nowadays.

I see that OS muffler. Has that muffler been taken apart? Is the useless cone still inside that muffler? Has the stinger on the muffler been opened up? I hear the engine sagging. This is due to the plane being heavy and your bearings on the way out. Your probably and more than likely robbing 500+ rpm's due to them being shot.The hole you see on the stinger is larger on the outside than on the actual inside. If that hole or stinger hasn't been opened, I would open it at least to the same size as the exit. I don't drill all at once due to  the castings being  extremely fragile which will readily break it off. I step it up a little bit at a time using bits and oil. I do the finishing using a stone and Dremel tool. Not recommended for aluminum due to clogging but it works and It keeps things in tact. You can't make the exit hole large enough on a stock muffler.

The Magnum was designed around a Super Tiger .60. Whenever you see on a kit box .40-.60, USE THE LARGER. The Tiger .60 didn't even weigh .12 ounces. The Magnum was Sig's top of the line stunter. What the kit says as far as target weight probably couldn't be achieved. They used heavy foam and some of the kits came with ABS plastic pieces which were very heavy like the Sig Mustang and Super Chip. Sig's method for wing skinning was also a poor choice and just added tonnage to the plane.

One solution with a overweight stunter is sealing the hinge gaps with strips of clear tape. You must clean all residue and allow enough concave of the tape during installation to allow for non binding hinge movement. Let's just say this keeps things more buoyant

Seeing your still sagging with the lighter pitch prop tells me that the engine is pretty much nearing it's max torque curve. I would suggest a 1/2 pitch prop like a Thunder Tiger 11.5 x 4.5. A touch more nitro can be used but your going to lose a bit of fuel economy doing so and I have no idea where you are with that. In my opinion from what I hear on the video I would say the sagging is certainly due to overheating which can be a commonality in a full fuse stunter which is running on the edge. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:51 am

Ken Cook wrote:Rusty, you need .018's. However, condition is everything....I have to ask what line length are you using?...
60' the only time i've flown it.

Ken Cook wrote:I see that OS muffler. Has that muffler been taken apart? Is the useless cone still inside that muffler? Has the stinger on the muffler been opened up? I hear the engine sagging. This is due to the plane being heavy and your bearings on the way out. Your probably and more than likely robbing 500+ rpm's due to them being shot... The Magnum was designed around a Super Tiger .60. Whenever you see on a kit box .40-.60, USE THE LARGER....

That muffler is empty but the stinger is still thick. I've bored the ones I use on all of my profiles and thinned the cases too. My 1.5" belt sander is handy for that work. I have found a slightly smaller muffler that I'll open up and lighten and have already test fit it. I'll open up the big one and toss it in my flight box too.

Ken Cook wrote:...One solution with a overweight stunter is sealing the hinge gaps with strips of clear tape. You must clean all residue and allow enough concave of the tape during installation to allow for non binding hinge movement. Let's just say this keeps things more buoyant...
I hadn't considered that. I know how to do it, so i'll put gap sealing on my pre-flight list.

Ken Cook wrote:Seeing your still sagging with the lighter pitch prop tells me that the engine is pretty much nearing it's max torque curve. I would suggest a 1/2 pitch prop like a Thunder Tiger 11.5 x 4.5. A touch more nitro can be used but your going to lose a bit of fuel economy doing so and I have no idea where you are with that. In my opinion from what I hear on the video I would say the sagging is certainly due to overheating which can be a commonality in a full fuse stunter which is running on the edge. Ken
The prop in that video is a 12x6 and was pulling me off center on the downwind side of every lap. I heard it sagging too. While we took a lunch break I put a 12x4 Zinger on it and it made a world of difference. It's not shown on video though. But it didn't drag my skinny ass me around at all anymore and the engine was much happier. That's what I'll start with tomorrow, and I also have some 11" and 11.5" props that I can try. If we go to Bob's house I bet he'll have ideas that he'll want me to try too. And he also probably has some .018s I can borrow. I hope I can get in touch with him, but i've learned that sometimes his plans change without notice. Will Davis has a couple of Allen Brickhause's .018s that he'll give me next week at 1/2A day in H'ville, so I'm in good hands.

I also will order some bearings from Tommy Booth. I should have done it already.

Thanks for the tips, Ken. I'm looking forward to this expedition. I also look forward to posting the flight report!
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:56 am

Rusty, the reason I asked about your line length is due to a large model your flying. I suspected you were using your SS lines. You could be choking the plane which is also causing the engine to load. A big plane needs a bit more room. Having lines that are longer will slow the plane a bit but also give it more room in the maneuvers. In terms of pull I would slide the adj leadouts forward a bit if it has them. I can't fly the big stuff due to my shoulder issues. It's not that I can't hold it, it's keeping my shoulder locked in that position for 5 minutes. Experimenting is everything I wish I could be there to help. Bob indeed is very helpful in knowing what needs to be done. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next