Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Aussie winter flight report Cox_ba12

Aussie winter flight report Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 10:39 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by sosam117 Today at 8:07 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Aussie winter flight report Empty
Live on Patrol

Aussie winter flight report

Go down

Aussie winter flight report Empty Aussie winter flight report

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:10 am

Well today was a beautiful calm sunny winters day here in beautiful West Gippsland. I had run out of excuses. I needed to go and fly, which I haven't done for a couple of years, having learnt in the meantime that I now have an Acoustic Neuroma (benign growth in my head) which can, at times, effect my balance, as well as the sound of a jet engine constantly in my left ear.
I spent some time yesterday trying to rig up a wing-stooge and settled on a "Rusty style" rig using a piece of folded carpet on top of a sawhorse, held in place with a block of wood and a G-clamp rather than Rusty's brick. It seemed to work pretty good on the Li'l Bat combat wings.
I made my way to our vintage club rally grounds which would be vacant and far enough from any houses so I wouldn't annoy anyone- rules out here are ridiculous. A slight breeze had picked up but was manageable I thought.

I have two Li'l Bats I built with my now-not-interested son and found last time I flew one it was awfully hard to control, as Rusty has previously commented. I reduced the control throw on one & though to fly it first until I got accustomed to it. First launch it flipped straight over in a 3' loop. Second launch it hit the ground about 6' in front of the stooge. Third time lucky. Not very pretty, but the launch turned into a figure 8 which I did manage to catch, but man, that thing was all over the sky. I think the breeze was having the effect of making it dive and clumb suddenly at particular points in the circle. The engine is just one I knocked together out of parts and didn't sound particulatly strong, possibly because of the Cox exhaust collector I fitted. It was effective in quietening it down and certainly made it easier to clean afterwards with only one line of castor on top of the outboard wing. I started getting pretty dizzy and regretted filling the tank so one of the dives eventually caught the grass and she went in- no damage. I had a reasonable second flight with a similar result.
I decided to try the second plane with the full-throw controls and a low time SureStart. It came out of the stooge and got straight down to business. It flew flat and fast- the extra speed seemed to overcome the effect of the breeze and was actually easier to control than the one with less throw. As I flew I though I noticed something fall from the plane. Everything seemed to be acting the same so I continued. Later I noticed the washer used for a tip weight had dropped off- didn't seem to matter. This plane was fitted with the Tach Race prop Mark Boesen donated me. Sorry Mark, it didn't survive the first incident. Thumbs Down 
Next I though I may as well try the old stick plane I bolted a Gilbert 7 to. I wasn't hopeful it would fly from the stooge but I had no strip to fly from. I had to adjust the stooge for the narrower wing but unfortunately it was a lkittle tight & when I tried to pull it free the sawhorse tipped over, snapping the wing in 3. Turns out that the 3 screws holding the wing on had allowed fuel to soak into the balsa in the last 35 years and it was just all pulpy and soft. New wing and a runway coming up. I have to get a Gilbert in the air somehow.  Huh... 
Anyway, that's my day's flying- first in a while. Thanks for listening.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Aussie winter flight report Empty Re: Aussie winter flight report

Post  RknRusty Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:30 am

Hey Rod, that was a successful day!. Especially considering a Lil Bat is extremely difficult to launch for anyone. Thanks for the good first Sunday morning read.
Might want to put a guy wire on the stooge to keep it from tipping over.
Maybe you've got the flying bug now!
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:45 am

Sounds fun! Pulling a combat wing from a stooge is always an interesting dance. I agree with Rusty, use something to firmly attach your stooge to the ground.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:21 am

RknRusty wrote:Hey Rod, that was a successful day!. Especially considering a Lil Bat is extremely difficult to launch for anyone. Thanks for the good first Sunday morning read.
Might want to put a guy wire on the stooge to keep it from tipping over.
Maybe you've got the flying bug now!
Rusty

Thanks for your kind words fellas.  I've always had the flying bug but I'm a very nervous flyer.  I don't recall being nearly so frightened of the whole experience 35 years ago as a teenager.  I flew larger planes then (apart from my Testors P-40) so I guess I'm not so certain about the light feedback I get from a 1/2A.  I also had a very longsuffering mother who managed to perfect her launch technique.  I flew the pants of a "Satan" flying wing I built from a local Aeroflyte kit with an Enya .09.  Man that thing was fun because it was just so precise.  I recall that every launch ended up in a full flight 'til the tank was dry- it was so easy to control.  

Rusty, in hindsight your brick stooge method might have been a better option for me.  Now I know it works I'll probably be able to give it a try at our place.  I have a small paddock which is just large enough to fly on 30' lines.  I may have to choose a slower plane though.

The dizzy Rod
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:32 am

Rod,

You can always select a prop that suits your line length. I used a 6x2 APC on 33' lines and it was manageable with a TD for power.

If you just want to get your feet wet again you could build a .020 or .010 model and fly on much shorter lines.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi Rod, I enjoyed reading your story.. particularly because it's been quite a while since I've had a model in the air. I also; find myself more nervous now than I used to be. I hope these flights you got in yesterday; have you on your way to a quick recovery of the "jitters".. and flying regularly again.

I always "chime-in" on advice; when it comes to getting something to work better..  Rolling Eyes For your "saw-horse" stooge.. you could permanently attach an eyebolt/screw to the top rail.. and pack a tent-pole "stake" and about 4-6 feet of heavy twine in your flight box to anchor it from pulling over. Drive the stake into the ground at an angle.. and a few feet away from the saw-horse.. but close enough to tightly tie your length of twine to. This should keep your saw-horse from tipping over, and it's easy and portable too.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Aussie winter flight report Empty Wing Stooge

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:52 pm

You know how you do stupid stuff and say "that was stupid, I knew that would happen" afterwards? Well, what I didn't say was that I decided the stooge might work better pointing up on a angle and a little higher, so I shoved a couple of bricks unter the front legs. I knew it was wonky but went ahead anyway.  Embarassed  Now I know I can do it I'll probably rig up a more permanent arrangement.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Aussie winter flight report Empty RE: WING STOOGE

Post  roddie Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:11 pm

There's another thing you could try Rod.. I like the "angled" idea.. and it got me thinking..  Smoking Make adjustable front-facing legs for your sawhorse by whatever method seems easy. For securing the model; mount a "padded shelf" to the top rail of the sawhorse with a "fixed" soft foam-faced "fence" for the wing's leading-edge to butt-up against.. and tack a piece of soft terry-cloth/towel on top of the fence; long enough to span your wing's chord... and mount a pair of those cloth/elastic "bungee" cords to hold the wing down "chord-wise" to the shelf... which would "stretch-over" the wing; holding it down over the soft cloth.. so it won't scratch the finish. When you grab the handle and pull the model out of the stooge.. your launch should be as smooth as silk!!!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum