Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Older ignition books
by lla Today at 4:17 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 3:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:33 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by getback Today at 10:23 am

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"!

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Empty Re: Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"!

Post  Kim Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:11 pm

"As I recall my P-40 that I was flying in the late '60s was a strong flyer and landed nicely on the clay baseball diamond. Too bad I didn't know how to loop it back then. After reading of your adventures I'm going to try a 6x3 prop on my PT next time I fly it. I've been using a 5x3. In fact that's what I thought it came with, but not 100% sure. And I'm going to get some thinner Spiderwire. I've been using 30# test. I even used that in the Reed Speed contest which was probably a disadvantage.
Rusty"

I either remember or am imagining (sometime hard to tell the difference!) that we DID successfully loop an early P-40 (engine inverted and hidden in radiator cowl) before it's new owner put it in the ball field dirt at terminal speed. I always thought they flew and handled much like the PT...minus the crash resistance of the old trainer.

I'm pretty certain that the PT's came equipped with a 6-3...which is what we used on all of our control line planes back then, with the exception of the occasional 3-bladed ones that came with the Corsair and Stuka. I'd hardly used a 5-3 before joining Mark's ,049 Collectors Group years ago. Seems like someone told that the thinking was that a 6-3 would slow the trainer down for beginners, but I feel like it's got a bunch more zip with the 6-3's.

I've REALLY come along in using Spider Wire, which is apparently accurate gauge of what a klutz I used to be. The stuff hardly tangles any more, and it IS the same, so I must have changed !
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Kim, what left handed prop is that on your plane? I can't make out the name on it. TopFlight?"

The Bulky Mark

Hey Mark, the prop is Tornado 6-3 "Pusher". They're really cool-looking and I'd like to have a bunch of them, but keep forgetting to make a point of tracking some down.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Kim that is a wonderful idea, but please skip me this year as I would only fly someone else plane after I am well enough to stop crashing mine. I do hope the group loves the idea of a PT19 flyathon annually if only a CEF event

I may cheat for next year and build a balsa version but keep it true to Cox color schemes (might even band on a plastic wing for grins...) Seems the wings are fairly easy to procure and fix if needed"

Fred

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, let me know if you change your mind...AND more importantly...hope your recovery moves along quickly!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Empty Re: Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"!

Post  Kim Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:15 pm

[/quote]

Kim: I'm glad to see you are enjoying your retirement. I can even see a big smile on your face from this view.

edited to add quote deleted
happydad

RC Plane Futaba Radio  RC Plane[/quote]

Having a Hoot So Far , HD !!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:55 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Kim that is a wonderful idea, but please skip me this year as I would only fly someone else plane after I am well enough to stop crashing mine. I do hope the group loves the idea of a PT19 flyathon annually if only a CEF event

I may cheat for next year and build a balsa version but keep it true to Cox color schemes (might even band on a plastic wing for grins...) Seems the wings are fairly easy to procure and fix if needed
Hey Fred, I hope you continue be on the mend, so sorry crap like that happens. I acknowledge my good luck every day. Shawn and Ken have a big PT-19 stunter, maybe they'll fly it on PT Day. I'll be fixing my plastic one up. Its engine is currently in the Reed Speed Mustang. maybe we can go ahead and start an official PT-19 Flyathon thread so we can drum up some interest.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:07 pm

I don't own a PT-19. I owned several as a kid and they usually ended up broken upon repair. My dad and I flew at a nearby university on a asphalt lot. I would just blast it into the ground. I would love Shawn to fly his PT even though it's not a Cox. The spirit is still there. A few years back Larry Renger came to one of our club get together dinners. We met at a local hobby shop and I was very surprised as Larry found a brand new in the box PT-.19. He bought it immediately. I couldn't tell you how many times I must of passed by that plane never realizing it was there. I miss the old store and I know Larry was teaching many young kids to fly which is why he desired them so much. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:30 am

Finally got my little camera working, AND had a third calm evening to shoot some footage of the PT doing it's thing yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICUR7ulfUqY&feature=youtu.be
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:39 am

Bravo! Top notch aerial videojournalism.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:40 am

RknRusty wrote:Bravo! Top notch aerial videojournalism.
Rusty

Thanks Rusty !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:16 am

Hot Damn!! that is loud , sound like I had one running in my bedroom (like I never did that before) lol! lol! I really like your onboard videos !! that was just Great ! Good Morning ERIC Very Happy 
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:12 am

So, another PT joins the family!

STILL prepping for the PT Fly-a-Thon, and managed to snag this "Whisper Quiet" example...just like the one I learned to fly back in the late 60's !!!

Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Qz-610

Get ready for some Time Warping !!!!

Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 2_39

Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Waynes12
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:31 am

Kim, nice score!  I was looking at that one, too.  But, I decided that since I have two PT-19s already, one flyer and one NIB, I would let it go to someone who needs it more than me, and save the money for something I really need.  Glad it went to someone who can appreciate it!

And, you said earlier that you put tail wheels on your PT-19s, and it may help looping.  I don't suppose you could take a look at your best looper and note the c.g. position on it?  That'd give us mere mortals a good place to balance ours for more sprightly performance.  I understand that Cox made these to just fuel 'n go, but it would have been nice for them to give us some c.g. positions along with the beginner through advanced settings on the engine thrust.  

Hmmm... Maybe we could note things like this for reference data in a sticky in the "Cox Model Planes and Helicopters" section.  Perhaps I'll weigh my production Cox models and measure their stock c.g. locations tomorrow to start a thread.

The Off On A Tangent Mark

edit:
Even though I didn't bid on the plane, I did take advantage of the pictures of the manual in the auction and downloaded copies of the pics to keep for future reference.  I love the discussion between Bob and Jack on how to start an engine.  The "Just Enough but not too much!" really got me.  5 drops in the exhaust?  I do one drop on a blocked exhaust port myself and that's plenty for me.  I think five drops would mean a couple dozen flips of the prop to clear the flooded head!

Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Priming_zps6a0a7b6a

The Clear Headed Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:23 am

Nice one, that color combo is the best of all IMHO.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:35 pm

crankbndr wrote:Nice one, that color combo is the best of all IMHO.

Yeah, Mine Too...of course, with it being the FIRST ONE...there could be some "imprinting" going on!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:52 pm

batjac wrote:

And, you said earlier that you put tail wheels on your PT-19s, and it may help looping.  I don't suppose you could take a look at your best looper and note the c.g. position on it?  That'd give us mere mortals a good place to balance ours for more sprightly performance.  I understand that Cox made these to just fuel 'n go, but it would have been nice for them to give us some c.g. positions along with the beginner through advanced settings on the engine thrust.  

Hmmm... Maybe we could note things like this for reference data in a sticky in the "Cox Model Planes and Helicopters" section.  Perhaps I'll weigh my production Cox models and measure their stock c.g. locations tomorrow to start a thread.

The Off On A Tangent Mark

Hey Mark,

My "best looper"...or perhaps I should say, "The one that scares me the least" balances right at 1 1/2" from the center/front of the wing...or just past that molding hole in the center.

It also comes in at 9.8 oz. according to my el cheapo postage scale. This is without pilots (I sent them to a better, more appreciative home!).

It also has the Tornado "pusher" prop which, as someone upstream commented, might help it stay out where it's supposed to.

Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Sam_3411

I should have a decent collection of these poor crates flying by "PT Day" on the 20th. The new one will lead a pampered life for a least a little while, but WILL be flown.

Think I may try to claim an Unofficial World's Record of Cox PT-19 Loops on that day, using the PT shown here. Any of you guys that might have Guinness of FAI connections let me know !!!!

World Champion Aspirer Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Waynes10

12 years old.. damn.. I wish I had more photos of my early years. Did you kids just get off the bus? (background)  Laughing  or did you skip school that morning?  What? 

I'm looking forward to the PT-19 fly-a-thon. Here's the model that got me into the hobby.. back around 1992. This is with a later replacement fuse.. (no pilots..)
Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Pt1911

I still have the old fuse... with pilots
Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Old_fu11

It weighs in at 10.0 ounces.
Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Pt19-w10

There's currently a 6 x 3 R/H prop on mine.
Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Pt19_610
The 1994 Cox replacement parts form lists the prop for the PT-19 as a 6 x 2 L/H (get a load of those prices!)
Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Pt19-110

I bent-up a replacement gear for changing wheels. These are Sig 1/2A examples @ 1.375" diameter with spring-style retainers (probably accounting for the extra .2 ounces in weight..) It would be interesting to fly this model with no gear at all.. Anyone ever try it? It might make for that CG difference for pulling loops.  
Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Pt19-s10

anyone ever have this issue?
Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Pt19-t10
I have the tank.. but as you can see; it's been glued back on and didn't stay. Maybe there's room for a balloon tank in there... then maybe some sustained "inverted" flight could be achieved? (I can dream.. can't I?)

and my pin-stooge hole...
Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Pt19-s11
I had been using the inner-hole on the elevator horn, which is the current set-up... along with .015" music-wire solid lead-outs.
Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 Pt19-010
The problem with that is.. they get "buggered" if the wing pops off. I only had one handle and line-set made-up.. and I typically flew 3-4 models in an afternoon.. and this made it possible to switch. (I should have just used short lengths of Dacron with line-connectors..  Rolling Eyes )
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:23 am

Hey Roddie!

This was one of those cold Sundays when the ball diamond was a swamp, so we're launching our planes from the "grass" at the edge of the mud!  Nope, we didn't skip school...one of our Bus Drivers lived in the house just out of the frame.

Yeah, I wish I had more photos of those days!  

You could probably fit a small wedge tank up in the fuse to replace that plastic tank...I've got a metal Perfect tank in the Super PT, but am gonna swap it out for a plastic bottle when I come across one that looks right.

Not sure whether or not the PT would maintain inverted flight without a REALLY honking engine.  I MAY give it a shot at some point, but have already broken off the nose tab on half of my rudders, so it may not happen soon.  Thinking about it, the BIG deal would seem to be trying to get it back upright...but don't know...the mystery continues !!!

We did fly PT's with the gear left off, it made life a little easier landing on grass without it being jerked to a stop so quickly.  The biggest problem, the way I remember, was getting a good, clean launch with enough chuck-power to get it to speed without planting it!

I used to stare at the parts lists that came with these planes, planning my versions of "Up-Grades".  The results were sometimes painful, but ALWAYS educational!  I was REALLY ticked to find that adding an extra blade to a prop DID NOT make the plane fly faster !!!

Luckily, the hobby shop in Metropolis, Illinois--"Hop Johnson's Radio & TV Repair" kept a pretty full supply of parts, and I vaguely remember some kind of big cardboard display in the narrow side-room of the store that was the "hobby shop".  I always felt real "Official" plopping down lawn-mowing/paper route money for parts...in my mind, this raised me above just "buying toys"...I was now "Keeping My Operation Going"!

I've always used black carpet thread for leadouts on most of my 1/2A planes.  An aunt gave me a spool of the stuff that I'm STILL using after some 45 years.  I just tie loops in it, and use clips on the handle side to swap the lines between planes.

Yep, think the "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day" (trying to remember to always use Mark's Official Title) should be a hoot.  I intend to take the PT's on the road...loading them up and tracking down victims!  Figure a decent engine, with a three-bladed prop should produce a friendly flyer.

So far, I've got about five people on the list, warning them NOT to mysteriously disappear on September 20th!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:38 am

Keep in mind if the plane is inverted. The best way to get it back upright is to whip the plane in the inverted position applying slight down elevator. Once the plane is high enough, tuck it under by applying up elevator. The plane will not lose any speed and will quickly right itself in the upright position. It will turn very rapidly. However this feels very abnormal. I suggest practicing this on a plane that your already confident flying. If you try and fly a sluggish overweight plane from the inverted position to the upright position by applying down elevator and flying the outside loop it will stall rapidly losing line tension and you know the rest of the story. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:30 pm

Ken Cook wrote:             Keep in mind if the plane is inverted. The best way to get it back upright is to whip the plane in the inverted position applying slight down elevator. Once the plane is high enough, tuck it under by applying up elevator. The plane will not lose any speed and will quickly right itself in the upright position. It will turn very rapidly.  However this feels very abnormal. I suggest practicing this on a plane that your already confident flying. If you try and fly a sluggish overweight plane from the inverted position to the upright position by applying down elevator and flying the outside loop it will stall rapidly losing line tension and you know the rest of the story. Ken

Thanks for that advice Ken. That makes good sense. The only C/L stunt "tutorials" I've ever gotten, were either through this forum.. or through my own trial and error. I have flown inverted and back to upright without incident.. but I haven't done much more than that. This was with my small self-designed models that I built and flew 20+ years ago. I always wonder how those models would fly.. in the hands of an experienced pilot.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:40 pm

Why hasn't anybody put the september 20th PT19 day on the official CEF calender yet? I think it should be there don't you...?  Huh...   Very Happy
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:45 am

So, it occurs to me that it might be cool to put together a retro field box to use on our PT-19 Day, using the same little tool box that my Uncle Wayne packed "Back in the Day".

Got me an operating Perfect Fuel Pump, the hollow carcass of a later version of our cherished 1.5 Volt "Telephone Battery', some runnable original Cox Fuel (with some cleverly disguised 24% GlowplugBoy in a second Cox can as a back-up), and an old handle wrapped with new dacron string.

Gonna solder up some "C" cells to fit inside the telephone battery, and find a Cox Glowhead clip that doesn't have banana plugs...and off we go...BACK TO THE 60'S !!!!

Wonder if there's someplace where I can get Super 8 Movie Film for my ancient "Don't-Forget-The-Lens-Cap-Or-You'll-Be-Sorry" movie camera?

Now, cue "Green River", please !!!

Getting Ready for the September 20th "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day"! - Page 3 1_212
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:28 am

Kim wrote:and off we go...BACK TO THE 60'S !!!!

Wonder if there's someplace where I can get Super 8 Movie Film for my ancient "Don't-Forget-The-Lens-Cap-Or-You'll-Be-Sorry" movie camera?

Don't forget your flairs and platforms. Anyway a good initiative, Kim!!! Couldn't you make an "official" drawing to mark the day?
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:48 am

Way cool Kim!

I don't have a PT-19, but if I did I would surely participate.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:51 am

Well. you might need to be fixed up with a 'Loaner' !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:48 pm

OVERLORD wrote:
Kim wrote:and off we go...BACK TO THE 60'S !!!!

Don't forget your flairs and platforms. Anyway a good initiative, Kim!!! Couldn't you make an "official" drawing to mark the day?

May have to look at that !!! Also, think there used to be an "STP" sticker on the side.... May have to make a run to the local shop to see if I can get one of those !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Aero Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:48 pm

I would certainly fly one if I had one!
I watch some of the eBay auctions that go through, but most just seem way overpriced.

Aero
Aero
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:03 pm

Try to swing this way on the 20th! I'm gonna be making a lap toward my uncle's house, then up 24/57, and over toward Scott AFB if Ron is still there. I'll steal some orange cones from the airport, and we can set up an "Official Circle" out back of some truck plaza !!!!

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next