Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not Cox_ba12

Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by Admin Today at 3:25 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 2:48 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 12:38 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 10:31 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not Empty
Live on Patrol

Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not Empty Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not

Post  RknRusty Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:07 am

Please write down how you felt about following it, playing with it, what impact it had on our members, how it makes this forum different or special in any way... anything that pops into your mind. Even if you only were a background observer. Please post your random thoughts in this thread and Jacob and I will compile it into a story for publication in Cox Engines Quarterly.
Thanks for your support.

The CEF moderator and administrative team

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not Empty Re: Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not

Post  SuperDave Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:16 am

Haven't participated because I consider "The Travlling Prop" silly and not worthy of my attention or participation. I have better things to do with my time.

Woo! Woo!

SuperDave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not Empty Re: Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not

Post  crankbndr Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:24 am

I had some fun posing my models hanging from a pole and some fishing line, my wife thought I was nuts, maybe she is right.
Not much of a story though.
Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not Img_1010
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:23 am

SuperDave wrote:Haven't participated because I consider "The Travlling Prop" silly and not worthy of my attention or participation.  I have better things to do with my time.

Woo!  Woo!

SuperDave
Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not Fishin10Spoken like the over inflated grumpy old man you are, you ol' baiter.Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not OldAny thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not Poking

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:47 am

I immediately liked the idea of the Traveling Propeller, seeing it as a way to hook up with members from around the world.  It's adventures, even including it's occasional disappearances, made for great reading as members got to flex their creativity a bit.

I've never participated in this type of thing before...the local club is extremely main-stream, and seem to be more into dollars and gadgets than the comradery that something "off-the-wall" like this brings.

I WAS determined NOT to break this sucker...or WORSE...have it fly off the plane (I imagine weird stuff when I get nervous)...even though Jacob had a back-up prop.  I decided to showcase the TP with my RR-1 and Thermal Hopper, bolted atop my VERY utilitarian 2 Meter Bird of Time Sailplane, and fly it from a local soccer field that is usually abandoned when the games aren't going.  

Not really wanting an audience, I had everything set up and ready to rock inside the van when I got there, figuring to hop out, do a couple launches, and bail before drawing too much attention.  Once on the landing approach, I'm committed to land with this thing, and I seem to always draw people who decide to stand exactly where I need to put the glider.

Anyway, the only spectators were a stoner-looking dude and his girlfriend, neither of whom REALLY looked like they got much of a clue of what I was doing, even after I answered their questions!

The engines cooperated, mostly, and I got my cherished video footage, then left my two confused, fuzzy-brained friends to speculate on what they'd just witnessed!

All told, I think this was a great idea, giving us a chance to connect and have a laugh or two with friends from around the world, AND get a glimpse of their homes and the places they enjoy!

REALLY glad I could participate...It was a True Honor !

Kim

Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not 7_18

Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not 10_14

Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not 3_27

Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not 2_34

Last edited by Kim on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:04 am; edited 4 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:17 am

Thank you Kim, there are some good quotables for our epilogical synopsis in your post.
We did get to see some interesting things from around the world and also get a glimpse into other members' idea of creatiivity. I think Mudhen takes the cake for his tribute to Leroy Cox's visionary marketing ideas.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:50 am

Dear members and guests,

Rumor has it the prop was broke into 3 pieces when an irate wife took a broom to one of the members planes after said member refused to accept a request to drive out to the grocery store for tampons. The prop being used now is an impostor, the real prop loved and adored by so many is now buried out of shame in his backyard never to see daylight again.  Shh  

Resource- found posted in a seedy electric aircraft fourm:

www.electric.ARF/thewaywood-props.com

Huh...
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:56 am

Over 500 replies and  14,000+ views of the Traveling Prop topic/thread tells it's own story.

Started in 2011 before I found the web site, I was disappointed initially that the sign up period expired and I was NOT on the list. Later when someone else asked to participate Jacob seemed agreeable to expand the list and I got in on the fun.

I especially enjoyed the thread: in discussing where it was and who it goes to next, we all got a glimpse into fellow enthusiasts, their lives, locations, weather, social and political intrigue, and work/job pressures. Occasionally a photo would show the little trinkets added and spark a lot of interest and curiosity about the significance of each.

The TWA props reminded me of my very first Jet passenger flight. I had been able to fly in private aircraft and military planes but my fathers Army career had us going by boat to most overseas assignments. But leaving the island of Taiwan after 4 year tour we were flown from Taipei to Seattle on a TWA 707. What an adventure for a 12 year old boy. I remember the stewardesses were very pretty and for some reason they doted over me the whole long flight to the states.

John Goddard's card for the chauffeur service reminded me of my first limo ride and the girl that let me get past second base that night!

Bastiaan from the Netherlands I think was the photo of the prop with two slices of very good cheese and reminded me that more than once I have used a propeller to slice things, including my fingers.

Actually I could write something about each set of photos and the stories, as in some way each reminded me of something that put a grin on my face like Ron's photo of the monster prop on the micro cox engine

I think the real thing this project did for me was inspire me to travel more and try to visit and meet many of our forum members

Best forum I have ever been associated with ....ever....and I have been "on line" since very early BBS days in the early 80s before there was a real internet
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:12 pm

Damn fine commentary Fred, thanks.
1/2A Nut beware, some guys with black ties and reflecto sunglasses will be digging up your yard any time now! lol! 

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:55 pm

My take on the CEF-TP(grammar school essay).
A totally different social experience.
The prop(to me) was kind of a binding/physical thing that we'd all
handle, near and far, and seeing it as it traveled was really cool.
I was into it from day one, and it turned out to be a blast.
Same for the Traveling Engine in her travels.
Thanks again Jacob
Bob
Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not Rod10
.....and Rusty, reading "epilogical synopsis", gave me a short headache. Affraid or WOW!
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:41 am

RknRusty wrote:
SuperDave wrote:Haven't participated because I consider "The Travlling Prop" silly and not worthy of my attention or participation.  I have better things to do with my time.

Woo!  Woo!

SuperDave
Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not Fishin10Spoken like the over inflated grumpy old man you are, you ol' baiter.Any thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not OldAny thoughts on the Traveling Prop, whether you participated or not Poking

Rusty:

So you don't like my opinion?

Couldn't care less, pal. To each his own in a forum.

SuperDave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:35 pm

I thought that the travelling prop was quite interesting. A fun thing for people who wanted to participate.. as well as for people who merely enjoy reading about where it's been.. and where it's going. There's also something special nowadays, about getting [and] sending a "personal" package in the mail. This forum has a lot of fun things going on.. and a lot of GREAT members. I am very thankful for it's existence.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:29 pm

I really enjoyed the traveling prop. The best part was opening it up and seeing the signatures of people that I had come to know through this forum. It was a tangible link to people that I had never met yet still would call friends.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:06 pm

I was glad to participate in the experience. The souvenirs and artifacts were the best part of the experience since I did not have opportunity to fly.

I wish my year had less turmoil with better weather, I had little chance to try flying the traveling prop (and more so the traveling engine! I suppose having a new healthy daughter who wakes up GIGGLING every morning is worth having to send on an experience untried)

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:23 pm

dckrsn wrote:
.....and Rusty, reading "epilogical synopsis", gave me a short headache. Affraid or WOW!

Haha, I just made that word up and then Googled it to see if it was real. It Waslol! Glad it was a short headache.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:27 pm

I didn't get to see any of the artifacts that were added as I was the first to get it. It took about 2 years to circumvent the globe. Time well spent.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 pm

When Matt and I got it, it was a just a couple of stickers and pictures. Kim's personal Skunkworks logo, a The Who sticker from Cribbs, things like that. I put a Captain Blackhawk Li'l Bat sticker in it and I think I might have drawn a cartoon of my own Ralph the Rat, but I haven't see it in any photos, so maybe I forgot.

Through the Prop as well as the forum, I have enjoyed meeting our fellows from other lands, that they can see us Americans somewhere besides on the TV news, and we can see them more clearly too. We are all just regular people, not as isolated as if we'd not had this opportunity. There's nothing silly about that.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:04 pm

Woo!  Woo!

SuperDave
So unworthy of your attention that you chose to spend your time being the first to participate in the traveling prop discussion?
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:13 pm

I for one think it is the best thing this forum's done yet. It was very entertaining to see it go around the world with members each adding their own bit to the experience. I had a lot of fun mounting it on my Medallion over at Rusty's house and spinning it up.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see it return safely back home with no accidents. As a result I now have more faith in the Travelling Engine and its participants.

Thanks Jacob
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:23 pm

I really enjoyed being a part of the traveling prop. Thanks for making it happen guys.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:32 pm

duke.johnson wrote:I really enjoyed being a part of the traveling prop.  Thanks for making it happen guys.
You made it happen too, Duke.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:57 pm

In a time of virtual everything it was nice to be able to put my hands on something physical that was connected with so many others.

It's hard to meet everyone on here in person so things like the Traveling Prop and Traveling engine allow us to unite in a different way.

Thanks to all who participated and Jacob for making it happen.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:36 am

Sharing is caring.

More than a forum, this is a club. The members of this club care and share.

It is for the most part a sharing of information - happy deeds, daring does, the mundane, the unusual .....

It provides a club atmosphere over huge distances. If the members lived closer a club would be formed, a wide range of skills and knowledge would be shared- models would be passed backwards and forwards.

There are no social bounds in a club - the well off meet the not so well off (whether financial, academic, skill, health or age) but mutual respect.

All clubs have characters - the grumpy old git whose presence can always be guaranteed all the way thorough to the young (and not so young) and careless. All welcome - otherwise we would all be exactly alike and boring.

A shared hobby approached from different directions and having different emphasis is what a club is all about.

The travelling propeller and engine provide a way of caring and sharing. Providing a common experience over distance, develops a culture and a definable club history.

I have enjoyed watching their progress but not participated. I would be a very disappointing club member. Unable to meet, devote time on a regular basis or guaranteed to participate - I work unusual hours and travel great distances.

I often think what I could have done with the travelling propeller - it would have travelled many more thousands of miles than it has done and far quicker. India, China, Israel, Africa, Mauritius, Budapest, Bucharest - I could have picked it up in Chicgao and dropped it back there a year later.

But that would not be sharing. It would be dominance!

Long may these ideas be promoted.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:18 am

ian1954 wrote:Sharing is caring.

More than a forum, this is a club. The members of this club care and share.

It is for the most part a sharing of information - happy deeds, daring does, the mundane, the unusual .....

It provides a club atmosphere over huge distances. If the members lived closer a club would be formed, a wide range of skills and knowledge would be shared- models would be passed backwards and forwards.

There are no social bounds in a club - the well off meet the not so well off (whether financial, academic, skill, health or age) but mutual respect.

Long may these ideas be promoted.

EXCELLENT POST AND POINTS IAN !!!!

In my opinion, the average Model Airplane Club should HOPE to achieve what the computer-linked enthusiasts do here on a regular basis!

A simple little maple baton, being passed among a world-wide membership, and followed by everyone...now THAT is some efficient entertainment and adventure !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:48 am

"A simple little maple baton, being passed among a world-wide membership, and followed by everyone"

Well said
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next