Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

As the Table Saw Turns Cox_ba12

As the Table Saw Turns Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:37 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 4:16 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by MauricioB Today at 3:43 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 12:27 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 10:11 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 8:14 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

As the Table Saw Turns Empty
Live on Patrol

As the Table Saw Turns

Go down

As the Table Saw Turns Empty As the Table Saw Turns

Post  Kim Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:35 pm

More projects from the Red Neck Eating Machine !!!

It had to happen sooner or later: with a bunch of scrap plywood laying around from last winter's Snowbird project...AND my penchant for driving to my Uncle's house and not packing along the right kind of fuel: I made the executive decision to construct a fuel caddy and just pack ALL of it when I go out to fly!

As the Table Saw Turns 1_37

It's amazing just how much ply you can use up in such a little package, and it's dimensions continued to evolve even as it was being built...as I discovered that some pieces just weren't big to fill my vision!

So now, I got ANOTHER behemoth to pack around! BUT...I'll have plenty of fuel !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

As the Table Saw Turns Empty Re: As the Table Saw Turns

Post  flyjsh Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:27 pm

I call foul! A red neck would never use the word "caddy".
flyjsh
flyjsh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:30 pm

flyjsh wrote:I call foul!  A red neck would never use the word "caddy".
Yeah! He'd say, "Tote."

"Ahmoan tote this here fuel over to Uncle Wayne's."

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:36 pm

I just call it a "Flight box"

But alas, I no longer use such a box. I use a small toolbox, a lipo powered starter (larger planes) a nicad glow driver, and a separate fuel jug with a manual pump zip tied on. I find it simpler that way, somehow. But I only have one jug of fuel.

For the longest time I had this rolling contraption that stood up next to the starting table, it held my fuel can, a pump, a 12v battery, and a powerpanel to power the pump, glow driver, and starter motor. But it was just too awkward for me.
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:04 pm

"Alas, my falsehood has been exposed !!!...on the interweb yet"

Actually, in this area, even "Tote" might come across as a bit "dainty".  The local vernacular would probably lean toward "hauler"...."Got ma fuel hauler, an ah'm fix'n to head out to Wayne's..." !!!

Hard to believe that Wayne was able to keep us kids going with his little tool box!

As the Table Saw Turns 2_42

As it is, I got a "Local Field Box", my "Radio/Hardware Box", my "Big Field Tray", my "Little field Box", a box for my flying lines, a waist-high work table, and an electrical box with bunches of cool stuff.

If I ever wreck the Assault Van, they'll be gathering my stuff for a couple days!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:31 pm

Lets see here...

My first setup:
Fuel box with fuel can, 12v batt, starter, glow driver, and pump, along with plastic box full of parts such as props, and other small tools. Transmitter went in the back of car no case, and I only had two batteries for my electric yak so I put those in the plastic tool box.

Second setup:
Rolling fuel box with same setup as the stationary one, but easier to transport from the car to the flight stand. (My old one was really heavy) Unfortunately, it was harder to get it into the car - it was a rather tall thing. When I went in my flying buddys van however, which was most of the time back then since he was living with us, it was not a big deal. I also got a transmitter box when I got a better transmitter (upgrade from futaba 72mhz to spectrum dx7) and an ammo can to store my ever increasing number of batteries. I also changed from my plastic box o parts and tools to a wooden one that is a little smaller but has better height.

Now I have my separate fuel can, starter, box o tools and parts - notably glow plugs and a few bolts, a few props. Also have Radio box, ammo can, and when I bring the trailer it has a bunch of sorted plastic bins, including electronics, tools not in my wooden box, my extensive allen key collection, and then some miscellaneous items such as an extension cord, and a plane cradle for assembling larger aircraft at the field.
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:48 pm

Yeah, there are times when I think I'm getting out of control with the support equipment, but I've also made a lot of saves over the years (sometime to my buds' benefits) that allowed us to get our planes into the air.

So on it goes...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:03 am

You could call it your portable "Meth-Lab"...  Shocked 
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:31 am

Kim wrote:Yeah, there are times when I think I'm getting out of control with the support equipment, but I've also made a lot of saves over the years (sometime to my buds' benefits) that allowed us to get our planes into the air.

So on it goes...

My favorite was at the youthmasters IMAC event, in triple tree aerodrome. One of the 100cc yaks had taken damage to the wing when someone jumped in front of it when it came in deadstick and was going towards the pond. Well, they stripped covering off the damaged parts, rebuilt the damage with CA, balsa, and carbon fiber, recovered the damaged area, and flew it again a couple hours later.
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:28 am

roddie wrote:You could call it your portable "Meth-Lab"...  Shocked 

No kidding! I've thought about that more than once, driving through Illinois! My assorted passions ALL seem to keep me constantly on the verge of incarceration!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:39 am

Waffleman wrote:
Kim wrote:Yeah, there are times when I think I'm getting out of control with the support equipment, but I've also made a lot of saves over the years (sometime to my buds' benefits) that allowed us to get our planes into the air.

So on it goes...

My favorite was at the youthmasters IMAC event, in triple tree aerodrome. One of the 100cc yaks had taken damage to the wing when someone jumped in front of it when it came in deadstick and was going towards the pond. Well, they stripped covering off the damaged parts, rebuilt the damage with CA, balsa, and carbon fiber, recovered the damaged area, and flew it again a couple hours later.

Yeah, back in the day, CA changed everything for us!  Early on, we went through a lot of 5-minute epoxy, but it was temperature sensitive, and wouldn't cooperate in cold weather.  When we discovered super glue, it was a new day.  Most of the guys had jobs and families to care for, so our Sundays were often the only time available to get their crates flying, and we'd all jump in as a group to help.

When I was driving my first big van, I'd actually pack along monokote, an iron, and all the tools needed to patch planes up.   The local airport guys not only let us use the dead-end section of the ramp to fly, but also allowed us use of their pilot's planning room to repair some of the planes.

Really great days.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:28 am

Kim wrote:
roddie wrote:You could call it your portable "Meth-Lab"...  Shocked 

No kidding!  I've thought about that more than once, driving through Illinois!  My assorted passions ALL seem to keep me constantly on the verge of incarceration!!!!
Dude we call that prison and a he!! of a lot of $$$$$$$$//// Your OLD enough now just go to the doctors and they will about give you anything you want with the right one lol! lol! lol! 
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:44 pm

Kim wrote:

Yeah, back in the day, CA changed everything for us!  Early on, we went through a lot of 5-minute epoxy, but it was temperature sensitive, and wouldn't cooperate in cold weather.  When we discovered super glue, it was a new day.  Most of the guys had jobs and families to care for, so our Sundays were often the only time available to get their crates flying, and we'd all jump in as a group to help.

When I was driving my first big van, I'd actually pack along monokote, an iron, and all the tools needed to patch planes up.   The local airport guys not only let us use the dead-end section of the ramp to fly, but also allowed us use of their pilot's planning room to repair some of the planes.

Really great days.

I'm still a fan of 5min epoxy for repairing stuff bigger than a little spot, such as a knocked off vertical stab. I dont like CA much because, unless you have kicker, it refuses to dry anywhere except your fingers unless you leave it a long time. The epoxy cures within 10 to 15 minutes (I wait longer than needed) and seems to make a good joint. I usually use the 30min variety while assembling one of my ARF planes, and leave it to cure overnight for a good strong joint.

Normally, when I fly, I bring nothing but the necessities for flying, some epoxy, some CA, and tape. Anything worse than than that can wait till I get back home.

If I'm pulling my trailer to an event, I practically pack everything. Soldering iron, monocote iron, all kinds of glue and tape, every tool I have for planes, spare parts if I have any, and really anything else I can think to bring.

I drive a 4 door sedan, so packing a lot of stuff really isnt economical for me. Thats why I have the trailer, for the larger trips. My local flying field is only 10 minutes away, so driving home to repair something isnt a big deal.
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

As the Table Saw Turns Empty table saw, jig saw, band saw et al

Post  fredvon4 Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:39 pm

Wife and I wave a spacious 3100 SQ Ft ranch house sitting dead in the middle of a very square 2.386 acre micro ranch (our term for the compound/ property). Unfortunately this property is in the hot, humid or arid, middle of Central Texas and we are very found of each of the 135 trees. Correct! with that many 35' to 40' trees there is no 35' or larger expanse to play with control line airplanes,

That said, obviously I must travel some distance to fly (or what passes for self training) and as I have very meager skills and no mentor or close buddy to coach, launch, or help me.... taking a LOT of stuff to my flying site is essential.

Did I ever mention the modes of transport in the von Gortler stable: a Smart car, a Motorcycle, a Ford King Ranch F350, and a 1997 37.5' Winnebago. The monster 4x4 truck was ordered with 4:30 gears to haul a very large 5th wheel (long gone) and has a Triton V10 gas engine....can you understand my reluctance to go play with airplanes in a 11.7 MPG vehicle.

So realistically I have to load the planes ans support equipment in a 1800lb 5'Wx5'Tx8'L smart car designed for exactly two people

Purpose built "totes" "boxes" and "tool caddies" that are organized, carry only essential items, and small enough to load is part of my routine

Ok Ok FRED what the hell is your point....

I LIKE seeing what other people build to support their time at the field

Thanks
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:40 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Wife and I wave a spacious 3100 SQ Ft ranch house sitting dead in the middle of a very square 2.386 acre micro ranch (our term for the compound/ property). Unfortunately this property is in the hot, humid or arid, middle of Central Texas and we are very found of each of the 135 trees. Correct! with that many 35' to 40' trees there is no 35' or larger expanse to play with control line airplanes,

That said, obviously I must travel some distance to fly (or what passes for self training) and as I have very meager skills and no mentor or close buddy to coach, launch, or help me.... taking a LOT of stuff to my flying site is essential.

Did I ever mention the modes of transport in the von Gortler stable: a Smart car, a Motorcycle, a Ford King Ranch F350, and a 1997 37.5' Winnebago. The monster 4x4 truck was ordered with 4:30 gears to haul a very large 5th wheel (long gone) and has a Triton V10 gas engine....can you understand my reluctance to go play with airplanes in a 11.7 MPG vehicle.

So realistically I have to load the planes ans support equipment in a 1800lb 5'Wx5'Tx8'L smart car designed for exactly two people

Purpose built "totes" "boxes" and "tool caddies" that are organized, carry only essential items, and small enough to load is part of my routine

Ok Ok FRED what the hell is your point....

I LIKE seeing what other people build to support their time at the field

Thanks  

What in the **** possessed you to buy a smartcar??? I can't even fit myself into one of those tiny things, let alone my planes!
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:01 pm

I'm pretty lucky to have enough space to fly 35 foot lines and R/C from my front yard, with permission to fly the bigger control line dogs in the field next to our airport.

This is the "current pile of stuff" that I pack to Illinois for a full day at my uncle's house.  

As the Table Saw Turns 4_34

As the Table Saw Turns 2_43
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:21 pm

Use the Winnebago! Shop on wheels, bring everything!

OK, more realistic, find (or build) a small covered trailer like an old teardrop camper or single covered snowmobile trailer that the smart car can pull. The unofficial 600# towing capacity is pretty significant.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:18 am

OK now I have to hijack Kim's great thread for a sec and then we can get back to how we each make or buy "totes"

I did put a hitch to the back of the Smart car to which a 4x8 Harbor freight trailer follows just fine. Recovery from the accident this year stalled the box/cover/airplane support structure for the trailer. So pkrankow's suggestion is in the works.

Why a Smart car was asked. Back in 2008, the NEW administration concerns saw gasoline spike to over $4 per gallon.

All my children (3) made off with my good, dependable, decent MPG, work cars as they made their journey out into the world. This left Renie and me with the F-350 for commuting 32 miles a day for work. Monthly fuel bill was over $600.

Geo metros and such domestic low cost high MPG cars were scarce in 2008. She and I were working same place but starting to conflict with daily work schedules so two cars were getting imperative. I bought two Smart cars that were/are getting over 43MPG and they paid for them selves in 28 months.

Last year I gifted one to my daughter in Dallas and we kept one to put on a aluminum trailer behind the Winnebago. Now we are both retired and the F-350 only sees about 3500 miles a year while the Smart is plenty adequate to run into town, 7.5 miles, and get hair cut, shop, etc...

I am 6' and we both fit quite comfortably in the micro car. My only regret with the Smart was initially they were a novelty here in Central Texas (I was first in the area to own one) and I am not typically a chatty person with strangers.... The car usually drew a crowd outside a store or when I got fuel.

Too funny how many people watched me put the nozzle at the fuel pump to add 8 gallons of premium gasoline and would ask if it was an electric car..... Here is your sign!

Lets get back to As the saw table turns....please

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:49 am

I'd like to build "stackable" field-boxes (chests..) that clamp onto a 2-wheeler (hand-truck/dolly) This arrangement could be transported in most vehicles (depending on the size of the 2-wheeler.. mine has a telescoping handle with hitch-pins, and also has casters for converting to a flat-dolly) The "top" chest/box would be open on the top and maybe have a padded cradle. The lower box(s) would be "chests of drawers" for all that stuff that we'll surely need.. and usually don't bring.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:12 am

Hey Fred,

No probs on any 'divergences' from the subject line on my threads...sometimes the exchanges are more interesting than the original!  

I totally subscribe to the whole "Guy takes care of what he's dealing with" thing, and I've stomped off the beaten path several times to get the most out my life, regardless of others' perceptions!

My biker buds (the few I tolerate) were totally aghast when I bought a 1983 Yamaha Scooter, but I still love that sucker (it's on my fix-it list).  I may look like a gorilla on a mini bike going down the street, but the silly thing gets upwards of 80 miles a gallon, and is big enough (180 cc's) to accelerate my bulk to 60 mph.  Putting gas in it is almost "an event", and I can get a lot of trips done on a gallon or two!

It even fits into the "Tote Subject" as I intend to build some light-weight cargo boxes for it to let me pack my smaller models and thus TOTALLY secure my stature as an "Aging Nerd".

As the Table Saw Turns 1_38

As the Table Saw Turns 2_110

As the Table Saw Turns 3_33

As the Table Saw Turns 4_35

Wish I had some photo's of my 1970's-something Rust Bomb Honda Civic with model airplane wingtips protruding from it's rear windows...but maybe that's just as well left in the shadows of obscurity!!!

Last edited by Kim on Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:17 am

roddie wrote:I'd like to build "stackable" field-boxes (chests..) that clamp onto a 2-wheeler (hand-truck/dolly) This arrangement could be transported in most vehicles (depending on the size of the 2-wheeler.. mine has a telescoping handle with hitch-pins, and also has casters for converting to a flat-dolly) The "top" chest/box would be open on the top and maybe have a padded cradle. The lower box(s) would be "chests of drawers" for all that stuff that we'll surely need.. and usually don't bring.

TOTALLY !!! It would also let you stand it in a corner "as is" for getting to your gear when working on something. You may have cost me a trip to Lowes Hardware, Mr. Roddie !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:31 pm

I knew you'd like the MAFD (Mobile-Assault Flight Dolly) Idea Kim!! How about putting a deep-cycle Marine battery/box and power-inverter in the bottom, for using your fast charger, soldering and Mono-kote irons, frozen-drink blender, "George Foreman" grille.. and other "comfort" accessories. Two or three 12V receptacles.. maybe even some LED lamps.. for when early evening low-light sets in.  tongue I'm crazy enough to design such a thing.

My wife wanted to throw out two small bureaus that we had in a storage unit (a little "beat-up".. belonged to her kids).. I told her I thought I could use them. I measured them.. and it turned out that they "both" fit under my workbench in the basement. The space under a workbench is never utilized well.. even with a shelf. Stuff falls off the back.. and things tend to get "stacked".. and are a pain to access. My "seven" bureau drawers are  full of stuff that I use on a regular basis.  

As the Table Saw Turns Bureau16

An old "low-boy" bureau can be a great solution.. Instead of throwing it away when the wife want's a new bedroom-set... or if you happen to see one "for free" at the curb-side.. give it a new useful life.. and screw some plywood plates to the bottom corners... and mount locking-casters under there. That could raise it up to "work-bench" height.. for your scroll-saw, bench grinder.. etc. Maybe mount a small vise on the end. You could even make it a designated building table. Having the casters let's you move it around or out of the way. Imagine what you could fill the drawers with! If you're creative.. you could build stackable compartment trays from cheap luan plywood and furring strips to fit inside the drawers for organizing TONS of stuff. You could probably fit three 2 inch deep trays in one drawer. We all have tons of "smalls" in this hobby.. This would be a perfect solution for easy access to these items. One average size bureau drawer has between 2-3 cubic feet of storage space!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down