Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Osprey in its native habitat - Trim and fuel tank questions - Page 2 Cox_ba12

The Osprey in its native habitat - Trim and fuel tank questions - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Ken Cook Today at 3:23 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:42 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 2:22 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 10:32 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by getback Today at 6:31 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Mon May 06, 2024 7:51 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Osprey in its native habitat - Trim and fuel tank questions - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

The Osprey in its native habitat - Trim and fuel tank questions

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Osprey in its native habitat - Trim and fuel tank questions - Page 2 Empty Re: The Osprey in its native habitat - Trim and fuel tank questions

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:45 pm

I tend to push it on windy days because I want to fly so darn bad, sometimes when it's really windy I just fly a few insides/outsides and maybe an 8 and then land. On those kind of days I practice landings lol!

I really think you need to take it out in a calmer day and evaluate any negative trends. If Wayne backed down and you feel he might be a better pilot then that would be a sign like you mentioned.

I pushed a runaway issue on a windy day and got my plane handed back to me in less than stellar condition.

Knowing you the plane is probably a great flier. DO NOT push it for a contest. I did that and got a big helping of humble pie. So much so that I am really cautious right now. If you are not comfy on contest day then back down and fly another day.

You have time though so go out on a good day and re-evaluate.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The Osprey in its native habitat - Trim and fuel tank questions - Page 2 Empty Re: The Osprey in its native habitat - Trim and fuel tank questions

Post  RknRusty Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:30 pm

You're right, Ron. Thanks for the rational words of wizdom. Yes, Wayne is a much better pilot. I hope to get out once or twice in the next couple of weeks. The first time I flew it on 9/9 was calm, and I adjusted for sensitivity and remember feeling pretty good about it. It is much more responsive, but I didn't have any hint of loose lines that day. So I'll leave the leadout adjustments for a manageable day. Maybe I should just narrow the lines at the handle a little more to slow the sensitivity. This could be a plane that is more advanced than me and I'll have to grow into it. I do not want to demolish it. At least before you get to see it.
lol!

I need to go out one day and fly OH8s, it's my worst stunt. I can Not seem to open them up behind me. My neck isn't very flexible, so I need to figure out some footwork to keep it in view, but doesn't introduce error into it. Moving your feet is the worst thing you can do in the middle of a stunt, but I don't think I have a choice. I've done at least a couple of examples that aren't bad of all of the others during one flight or another. Some guys sure make it look easy. Some RC guys watching me yesterday and they thought I was amazing. They cheered and clapped, Lol. That was funny
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:11 am

I wouldn't strictly focus on your OH 8's. What tends to happen when one tries to do so is that they concentrate on one particular portion of the pattern which generally leaves the others without practice. A major part of the pattern is the order in which they come not to mention the correct laps in between all of the maneuvers. In addition, a common mistake that I see is that the pilot has no idea of how much fuel he or she uses to do the pattern. Knowing your plane in terms of when it's going to give you that hiccup or warning is extremely important. When I fly at my home field vs Brodak's, the economy and needle setting is so different it takes me an hour to find it. Now that the temps are getting cooler, your economy is going to go down. I have no idea of how much your capacity is, but I do know a modern OS on a slightly leaner run can certainly over run the allotted pattern time. On the opposing side, running short of a pattern and not completing it is not good either. Most make it into the later part of the pattern which is all the overhead maneuvers such as the OH8 and the clover which is not a maneuver you want to run out of fuel on. When the lines come raining down around you your typically left with a bag of iron on covering and balsa chunks. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:44 pm

I was just going over my notes and realized I have the Osprey balanced over an inch aft of the recommended balance point. Hmmm Huh...

Here are some pics from Sunday. My pit crew, Wayne and Holley. Also Wayne's Smoothie with its faux IC engine.
The Osprey in its native habitat - Trim and fuel tank questions - Page 2 WP_20140921_002_zps9d6902e9

The Osprey in its native habitat - Trim and fuel tank questions - Page 2 WP_20140921_002_zpse1b3bf82

The Osprey in its native habitat - Trim and fuel tank questions - Page 2 Osprey9-22-20144_zpsd6d3b25f

The Osprey in its native habitat - Trim and fuel tank questions - Page 2 WP_20140921_003_zps6e26ad53

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:22 pm

Rusty,

Have you considered notching the TE as opposed to a trim tab? You just adhere a hinge to the cut out piece and a control rod with an adjustable link. That way is less noticeable and also adjustable.

Ron

The Osprey in its native habitat - Trim and fuel tank questions - Page 2 1nM4E2Z

I know that's not your problem, it's just something I was thinking about.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:08 pm

Yeah that's a neat way to do it. But first I'll see if there's a simple reason I need it, like too tight Monokote. Since it's working for now, I'll put that off until after October. Maybe we can figure out what's wrong with it. Huntersville will be in the rear view mirror by then.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:33 am

RknRusty wrote:I was just going over my notes and realized I have the Osprey balanced over an inch aft of the recommended balance point. Hmmm Huh...
I got the right amount of lead split shot to epoxy inside the cheek block to bring this thing under control. I'd had it balanced at the stock Skyray position which is different after extending the stab/elev chord and width. I believe when you design a plane, you partially determine the approximate CG when you calculate the percentage of stab/elev area relative to wing area. Also your nose and tail moments, which were not changed on my model. I fully expect to be able to bang out a clean pattern without all the frantic inputs next time I fly it. That should be a big relief for me.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2