Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What's rule one when shipping a model engine?????? Cox_ba12

What's rule one when shipping a model engine?????? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 12:08 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 10:20 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What's rule one when shipping a model engine?????? Empty
Live on Patrol

What's rule one when shipping a model engine??????

Go down

What's rule one when shipping a model engine?????? Empty What's rule one when shipping a model engine??????

Post  rsv1cox Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:00 pm

Take the needle valve out!!!!!!!!!!! Tape it to the engine or otherwise secure it. I have always done this.

Zero for two in my last two internet buys. Ripped package lost the Bell crank I had been waiting for, now this:

What's rule one when shipping a model engine?????? Holland001_zps6c32072e

Enjoy???? I don't think so. Valve is snapped off right at the junction, no way to get the broken inner part out. I blame the seller for this one. No apparent damage to the box, poorly wrapped in hard newspaper with no padding.

What's rule one when shipping a model engine?????? Holland003_zps745f92a5

What a shame, beautiful little Holland .051 in new condition. $77.00 shipped. I hope it's insured because it's going back to the seller. I believe ebay/PayPal will make this good.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What's rule one when shipping a model engine?????? Empty Re: What's rule one when shipping a model engine??????

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:18 pm

Poor little Hornet!

You can use a Hobby knife to score a line into the exposed nub and remove the needle. You might could find a new one though.

It would be worth keeping if you were compensated for the busted needle.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What's rule one when shipping a model engine?????? Empty Re: What's rule one when shipping a model engine??????

Post  Ken Cook Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:44 pm

The seller might not of known to do this. Was it indeed his item or was he selling it for a friend. Bottom line, he may make good on it. A Texas Timer spraybar might be able to JB welded into the case and it will work better than the stock. Make him pay for it. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:56 pm

Sorry man.. that sucks. Ken Cook makes a good point though. I don't blame you for being upset; so soon after the "bell-crank" ordeal.. but I'd hang on to that engine.. Just let the guy know what happened and see if he offers to compensate you. I'm sure he doesn't want to compromise his seller's rating over this.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:06 pm

If you do decide to keep it (I would) and can some how remove the broken part, MECOA appear to currently have stock of the needle on its own for $8.25, or a complete NVA for $12.35 if you can't remove it. They look to be an authentic reproduction so I'd just replace the lot. Even at $77 you'd be hard pressed to find another one if the rest of this engine is good. Maybe the seller will cover the cost of the replacement??

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:28 pm

Thanks for the shoulders to "cry" on and for the helpful suggustions.  

I could carefully score a line on the slightly exposed brass nub and back it out with a jewelers screwdriver.  But for me the value is in it's collectability, I never planned on running it as it's the best example that I have ever seen.  

MECOA?  New to me, is there a website?

Edit add.... Googled and found it. Thanks
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:52 pm

Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Thanks, found it. I will sleep better tonight. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:05 pm

We have to all understand that some of these older engines are being sold by surviving family members that never was in the hobby. I would suggest when buying such vintage engines and any fragile gear you should respond to seller with a little note requesting / discussing how the item with be packed to insure safe guards are in place.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Personally, I once asked a seller to remove the needle valve and tape it flat somewhere to protect it. When the engine arrived, he had carved out a neat hole in a polystyrene block to fit the engine, including a cover, then carved another small hole beside the engine the shape of the needle, to which he installed a carved cover which was neatly taped in place with the words, "check under" written. It as so neat I nearly missed the needle if it wasn't for his little note. Can't do much better than that!!

Rod
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:Personally, I once asked a seller to remove the needle valve and tape it flat somewhere to protect it.  When the engine arrived, he had carved out a neat hole in a polystyrene block to fit the engine, including a cover, then carved another small hole beside the engine the shape of the needle, to which he installed a carved cover which was neatly taped in place with the words, "check under" written.  It as so neat I nearly missed the needle if it wasn't for his little note.  Can't do much better than that!!  

Rod

Sounds like a good guy to buy from.
Waffleman
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:05 am

Success

I used a razor saw to cut a groove in the exposed part of the broken needle valve without damage to the housing, not easy as at best only about 1/32" was exposed. I also put a drop of penetrating oil on the threads. Backed out the broken needle and all is right with the world. Smile

What's rule one when shipping a model engine?????? Hollandrepair007_zpsec60e017

What's rule one when shipping a model engine?????? Hollandrepair010_zps4dca4a59

What's rule one when shipping a model engine?????? Hollandrepair011_zps7ce50bbf

The prop was also stuck on the shaft so I used a thin piece of soft plastic inserted through the exhaust ports to unscrew it. Discovering that the piston is domed at the same time. Pretty neat. I may just run it. But I don't care for the two hole mounting system. Even Wen-Mac/Testors/McCoy use at least three on their radial mount engines.

Now to order that replacement needle valve.

Thanks everybody for the concern and heads-up.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:28 am

Looking into these a little further I find that they are being reproduced and are currently available for $79.00 minus tank.

Probably impossible to tell if this one is a reproduction or an original, makes little difference but there are signs of rust on the shaft. Nice to know that parts are available.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:53 am

Thumbs Up bounce Good deal man !!! wish i could get the one broken that i tried to straighten Sad Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:34 pm

Just for the record, Randy from Mecoa has made promises of that engine and several others for over 20+ years and to no avail nothing has been made. To the best of my knowledge he's never reproduced a Holland Hornet. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for one. This is a business practice one can really enjoy seeing. Here it is direct from the website.  

PLEASE DON'T CALL
for information, prices or try to order any of these engines.
We will notify everyone when they become available.
We won't help you with any questions concerning these engines.
We need the time to build them right now, not talk about them!  

This has been on the Mecoa site since it existed. I love the line that we won't help you with any questions or concerns. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:00 pm

Yes, That's curious. He has a price on them but no where to purchase.

I did contact the seller of the damaged engine and he indicates that he will pay for the new needle valve.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:15 pm

Ken Cook wrote:Just for the record, Randy from Mecoa has made promises of that engine and several others for over 20+ years and to no avail nothing has been made. To the best of my knowledge he's never reproduced a Holland Hornet. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for one. This is a business practice one can really enjoy seeing. Here it is direct from the website.  

PLEASE DON'T CALL
for information, prices or try to order any of these engines.
We will notify everyone when they become available.
We won't help you with any questions concerning these engines.
We need the time to build them right now, not talk about them!  

This has been on the Mecoa site since it existed.  I love the line that we won't help you with any questions or concerns. Ken

The same monopolistic arrogance as that of California Dan (= Dan Sitter) when not even bothering to answer me on ebay why he was not willing to ship used 010 parts to my place (Hungary)
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:47 pm

balogh, tell me what you want and I'll buy from him and ship to you at cost. The last time I looked at his stuff he didn't have many .010 parts.
I sent him a question about a Bee once and got a terse response also.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:13 pm

Well the flip side of that is the seller that sold me the Hornet that arrived with the broken needle valve. Instead of refunding me the $14.00 I asked for he credited my paypal account with $22.00. Pain and suffering on my part I guess. I left him positive feedback. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:43 pm

balogh wrote:The same monopolistic arrogance as that of California Dan (= Dan Sitter) when not even bothering to answer me on ebay why he was not willing to ship used 010 parts to my place (Hungary)

I did find Dan a little difficult to deal with but once we had communicated a couple of times he seemed to warm up.  He had no issue sending parts to Australia.  I purchased a "complete" Baby Spitfire from him and it arrived minus the needle valve.  Without a complaint he refunded me the full purchase & shipping cost & said keep the engine.  I think you need to catch him on a good day.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:17 am

Crankbndr thanks I dodged him already by asking someone to buy from him the items for me.

Rod I am wondering why then he sells stuff to buyers on ebay if he simply looks down on us? I do not necessarily want to become the psychotherapist of a burnt-out person simply because I want to buy something that by the way he himself offers to sell.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:27 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Well the flip side of that is the seller that sold me the Hornet that arrived with the broken needle valve.  Instead of refunding me the $14.00 I asked for he credited my paypal account with $22.00.  Pain and suffering on my part I guess.  I left him positive feedback. Smile
Glad to hear everything worked out for the better. Thumbs Up

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down