Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly) Cox_ba12

The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly) Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly) Empty
Live on Patrol

The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly)

Go down

The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly) Empty The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly)

Post  batjac Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:24 pm

Since this was my first try at designing a twin, I decided I wasn’t going to say anything about it until I had made the maiden flight successfully.  That way, if it was a dismal failure I could just quietly scrap it for parts and no one would be the wiser, saving my sterling reputation.  Luckily for me, it worked out fine.

As it’s a twin, I kept debating whether to call it a BTC-4 variant, or start with the BTC-5 line.  But, I decided it’s a BTC-4 since, like the previous BTC-4s, it has:
a) ¼” balsa fuselage
b) Brodak engine mounts for the engines
c) 4” airfoil shaped ¼” balsa from SIG for the wing
d) And minimal finish other than a couple of coats of flat clear LustreKote.

I only took a couple of pics while building, as I was more wrapped up in building/thinking/building/re-thinking/building/second-guessing/building than I was in documenting.  Besides, it’s pretty obvious how it’s put together just by the finished photos.  It uses two Bee engines with 8cc stunt tanks.  One engine has a TD piston and cylinder, the other has a SPI P/C set from Bernie.  The outboard engine has washers under the left side of the engine to give it a couple more degrees of right thrust than the inboard engine has.   Finished weight is 10.15 ounces.  Plenty light for twin .049s.  

The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly) DSCN2300_zps363fd6b1
The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly) DSCN2296_zps61b708fe
The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly) DSCN2305_zps0fc60833
The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly) DSCN2304_zpse6a5f077
The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly) DSCN2301_zps3ec0a9ea

And here’s video of the test run of the engines.  I love those yellow safety props.  Really easy to see and keep your fingers out of.  I’ll have to get the fuel burn under control on the inboard engine after the proof of flight tests.

And here’s the maiden flight.  Flying on 42’ 20# Spectra lines.  It surprised me a little at the speed on take-off, but after looking at the video it seems that the speed was probably more of a perception in my mind than an incredibly fast flight.  Even after the inboard engine quits, it stays tight on the lines and very controllable.  I just did straight and level for this first flight, with a little up and down to test control authority.  I wanted to bring her home in one piece today.

I think it might need a few grams of tail weight, but maybe not.  It flies nice and easy as it is.  And is very controllable, as I said.  The glide is just not as flat as the previous two BTC-4 planes.  For this first flight, I kept the pushrod on the inner hole of the bellcrank to keep her tame.  Next flight will be with the pushrod in the outer hole of the bellcrank.  I’ll get the inboard engine to run longer and increase the throws, and then we’ll see about weight shifting.  I’m also going to pull the props and do a better job of balancing them.

The Under Wraps Mark

edit: I took a stopwatch to the video. Dual engine lap times average 3.29 seconds, and single engine lap times average 3.88 seconds. Still pretty spry on one engine.

The Spry Mark

Last edited by batjac on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly) Empty Re: The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly)

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:04 pm

Mark,

Your engine runs were good. It looks like it pulled well.

What's the current elevator deflection?

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly) Empty Re: The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly)

Post  JPvelo Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:24 pm

Very very cool.
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:13 pm

YES!!! Excellent !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:17 pm

Here's what I posted on your Tube channel:

They're on song. Blowing those bushes around pretty good back there. If you can't get that outboard engine to quit first, maybe swapping them would be a solution. Good work.
Rusty

I just watched the flight. Man, what power, it jumps off the ground like a scalded dog! Stayed tight when the first engine shut off too. Was it still the inboard one that finished first?

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:41 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Mark,

Your engine runs were good. It looks like it pulled well.

What's the current elevator deflection?

Thanks for the compliments, Guys.  Ron, the current elevator deflection is about 20-25 degrees up/down.  It'd probably be enough, but with the speed this thing has on both engines, I don't want to find I'm just a little short on throw when I'm on the back end of a loop.  With the engines out on the wing, there's less direct prop wash over the elevator surface.

The Cautious Mark

Last edited by batjac on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:46 pm

RknRusty wrote: Was it still the inboard one that finished first?

Yup. It flew the second half of the flight on the outboard engine. I'm thinking the extra couple of degrees I put in the outboard engine was a good idea. This still had plenty of pull on one engine to keep the lines nice and tight. And on one engine it made decent lap times. I'm happy with the outcome of this experiment.

The Happy Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:44 pm

Impressive!!

The one outboard engine lugged that dead weight around with good authoritah Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:04 am

Very nice Mark. Instead of calling your series "Built To Crash", I'd name it "Bloody-good Trainer Concept"!!
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:29 am

OVERLORD wrote:Very nice Mark. Instead of calling your series "Built To Crash", I'd name it "Bloody-good Trainer Concept"!!

Thanks, my Friend.  I’ll think about the name change.  In fact, after seeing how this flew on one engine, I’m half tempted to build a strict trainer variant on these dimensions, but just put an engine in the nose and do away with the wing nacelles and call it the BTC-4N (for Novice).  But that’s for later.

Since I’m happy with the way this flies, I figured I’d go ahead and post my working drawings for anyone to look at.  They're not pretty.  And they're certainly not to scale.  But good enough to understand what I did.  You'll notice I didn't have the fin/rudder on the drawings.  That's because I just winged it when I got to that point. Also, you'll see that the nose is double wide. Originally, I had planned to put 1/4" balsa cheeks on it to flesh out the nose. But in the end I decided against them, as they were only cosmetic and went against the BTC concept.

This plane took a little longer to build than it could have, as a high wing version would have built quicker and been a little easier to assemble. But, to me, a twin just has to be a low wing plane.

The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly) 1efd1748-6de0-438f-b54b-0af8b66c9677_zpsc5a8271a
The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly) Cb5fbb1a-91e0-4270-a40a-c8374de7b9fa_zpscdc8a695

Looking at the plane, if I wanted to pretty it up, I could add a canopy and taper the nose. It'd look like a nice profile twin. In fact, I can see it as a German twin fighter-bomber if I changed the fin and rudder to a twin tail look.

The Sharing Mark

The Sharing Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:22 am

Stick a bunch of wires or toothpicks in it's nose and call it a Night Fighter!  'Course, you'll need to make an extra effort at keeping intruders out of the circle so you don't become "Mark---The Impaler"!

Coffee Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:56 am

Yet another great accomplishment in your BTC series!! For such a small/lightweight model.. the extra drag of a second prop is going to affect your off-power glide I would think. The balance is probably right where it should be. That thing took-off like a sling-shot!!!!!!!! Shocked

P.S. if you're running a TeeDee cylinder on one of those engines.. It might be worth switching to identical-ported cylinders.. and swapping the outboard tank to a 5cc.. and make it the 2nd engine in the starting sequence. This "kind-of" assures that the inboard engine quits last. You may need more outboard tip-weight though. Two Cents
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  navion34 Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:05 am

Congratulations ! Bravo,

Twin engines planes have an awesome song, not a noise, but a real song.

navion34
navion34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:15 am

I think it's great that you guys are so innovative and contributing so much truly useful and fun stuff. When I first hit the forums a few years ago I was energetic and ambitious, just learning how to build, doing some simple engine experiments and making fun movies. Lately I've been only coasting and spending my hobby time away from Cox powered planes. You guys have picked up the torch and are now inspiring everyone including myself. My 1/2A activities will be picking up over the winter. No big builds this off-season. Thanks for all you do, this Bud's for you!
Beer Cheers
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:35 pm

Very nice, love those twins. Enjoyed both of your videos.

I hadn't thought of building a little east/west deflection into the outboard engine of my P-38, but that is a great idea if the inboard engine quits first. That has never happened to me though as I have two bone stock and well matched Golden Bees on mine. I lean them both out prior to flight then top off the inboard engine last. So far so good.

I would love to scale build an old Ford Tri-motor with three Bee's pulling.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The latest BTC-4 variant (a.k.a. Mark’s Most Recent Folly) Empty twin teedee

Post  faif2d Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:55 pm

I built a twin flight streak at 150% of the 1/2 A version. I was going to use 2 teedee's running off 1 latex tank. I patterned this after a twin flight streak that I had seen at the 1962 Glenview nats. I built one of those in the motel room and mounted 2 K&B .35's on it when I got home. It flew very nicely but it was also very nose heavy. I never flew the teedee version but I did verify that the one bladder would feed both motors with no change between the needle valve setting on the motor started first. These had the custom kraftsmanship fine thread needle valves. My hobby life was winding down at the time and I ended up selling the model at Mike's in Dallas.
faif2d
faif2d
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:13 pm

faif2d wrote:I built a twin flight streak at 150% of the 1/2 A version.  I was going to use 2 teedee's running off 1 latex tank.  I patterned this after a twin flight streak that I had seen at the 1962 Glenview nats.  I built one of those in the motel room and mounted 2 K&B .35's on it when I got home.  It flew very nicely but it was also very nose heavy.  I never flew the teedee version but I did verify that the one bladder would feed both motors with no change between the needle valve setting on the motor started first.  These had the custom kraftsmanship fine thread needle valves.  My hobby life was winding down at the time and I ended up selling the model at Mike's in Dallas.
I like that idea. After cranking #2 did you have to re adjust the needles, or did the pressure of the bladder maintain the same flow? I'm guessing the answer is yes it did Maintain. If not, it seems like a thicker bladder would solve it. I use pretty thin tube for the 1/2As.

If my oldest Baby Streak gets much uglier, I might try it.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  faif2d Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:02 pm

There was no change in the tune of the first motor when the second was started and that line was opened.  I simply used a T fitting to split off the bladder into two streams.  I built a tank compartment in between the two fuselages at the LE of the wing.  If I had to do it over again I think I would arrange the bladder in line with the outer fuselage on top of the wing.  Biggest problem I had was one of the motors was a Gene Hempel tuned one and the other was a stocker.  I ended up with a stock venture on the GH one and a low compression head.  The other had a large venture and a Nelson plug head and it was still 2 thousand slower.  One of the reasons I never flew it.  I was going to use 52ft .012 lines.  The pull was very strong which makes sense when you figure the (2) 5" props had the same disk area as a 10" prop and they were turning18000 and 20000 rpm. I think the tubing was 1/8" x 1/32" wall as that was what I used on the 1/2A combats. Any higher pressure made the needles to sensitive.

Last edited by faif2d on Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : answer question)
faif2d
faif2d
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down