Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Tee Dee Performance Crank - Page 6 Cox_ba12

Tee Dee Performance Crank - Page 6 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 8:12 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Today at 6:51 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 6:46 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Today at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Tee Dee Performance Crank - Page 6 Empty
Live on Patrol

Tee Dee Performance Crank

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Mad Re: Tee Dee Performance Crank

Post  Surfer_kris Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:14 am

1/2A Nut wrote:I did a weigh in on the TDRC vs a TD throttle sleeve both had props it was just a fast weigh in the TDRC was 15.5g more.

You could add a pressure tap to increase rpm.

Just remember different CG positions will have their own effects on stall/spin behaviour was yours flat or nose down?
- rearward CG will result in a flatter spin and much more difficulty with recovery.
- forward CG makes spin entry a more difficult to induce and the nose will be lower during spin yet recovery is much easier to achieve.

The 05RC is 28grams (1oz) more than the regular TD, according to my notes;

.049 TD : 47g
05RC : 75g

As a comparison a Norvel .061 RC with muffler: 56g

I don't think a pressure tap can increase the rpm, assuming the needle is optimised in both cases.

Are you talking about an intentional flat spin?
I thought the "spiralling" behaviour/problem refered to something else?
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:28 am

Yes as mentioned I did weight checks with a throttle sleeve and prop installed vs the RC .051 and prop since he plans to use a throttle sleeve. =)

Spin, spiral ie 360 deg rotation on center axis we are not clear as what he is describing yet fundamentally planes with dihedral (V configuration) are more prone to flat spinning even more so with a rearward CG. Paranoid

If you can increase running engines nitromethane enriched fuel intake at speed you may be rewarded with more rpm. Having fuel /air induction thru a forward facing venturi has an oxygen intake advantage allowing more fuel if made available thru pressure. Some RC car guys are using micro size turbo's and blowers where as we have speeding planes bored out venturi's and fuel pressure Cool

http://www.rbinnovations.com/

1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:24 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:
Spin, spiral ie 360 deg rotation on center axis we are not clear as what he is describing yet fundamentally planes with dihedral (V configuration) are more prone to flat spinning even more so with a rearward CG.  Paranoid

It was in a distance but I saw it spiral with nose down, basically spinning around one tip of the wing, with no reaction to any elevator/rudder command. The engine was already off.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:53 pm

Do you think there was any chance of locked in rudder thru interference or range issue?

Note which direction it has spiraled and see if there is a repeat should this happen again after the CG fix.
I tend to try and twist the wing panels some, shrink the newly created wrinkles in the covering to hold the twist with built up wings, but with iron on covering on solid balsa sheet wings there is less to work with.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:19 pm

If you watch the video, it looks like the plane has a definite pitch problem, you can see it climb and dive, climb and dive, with pilot control.
Get the CG about 25% back from leading edge, add lead to the nose if you have, but get the CG correct.
Also use a tri-square and set plane on flat table measure height of leading and trailing edge of wing and horizontal stab, is stab parallel to wing? A little positive incidence, but not much over a couple degrees.
The plane seemed to have plenty of power, get'er trimmed and have fun!

Tee Dee Performance Crank - Page 6 Measur10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:30 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:Yes as mentioned I did weight checks with a throttle sleeve and prop installed vs the RC .051 and prop since he plans to use a throttle sleeve. =)

Spin, spiral ie 360 deg rotation on center axis we are not clear as what he is describing yet fundamentally planes with dihedral (V configuration) are more prone to flat spinning even more so with a rearward CG.  Paranoid

If you can increase running engines nitromethane enriched fuel intake at speed you may be rewarded with more rpm. Having fuel /air induction thru a forward facing venturi has an oxygen intake advantage allowing more fuel if made available thru pressure. Some RC car guys are using micro size turbo's and blowers where as we have speeding planes bored out venturi's and fuel pressure Cool  

http://www.rbinnovations.com/

I'm gonna have to cry foul on that video. As Elvis said "A little less conversation and a little more action"

I was hoping to see that thing tear up the road!!!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:06 am

Mark Boesen wrote:If you watch the video, it looks like the plane has a definite pitch problem, you can see it climb and dive, climb and dive, with pilot control.
Get the CG about 25% back from leading edge, add lead to the nose if you have, but get the CG correct.
Also use a tri-square and set plane on flat table measure height of leading and trailing edge of wing and horizontal stab, is stab parallel to wing? A little positive incidence, but not much over a couple degrees.
The plane seemed to have plenty of power, get'er trimmed and have fun!

Tee Dee Performance Crank - Page 6 Measur10

I guess I may have an isue with the  wing cord which is not quite parallel with the horizontal stab. This inclines a bit upward towards the leading edge.

I will sink the wing trail edge section more into the fuse to reduce the positive incidence.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:14 am

1/2A Nut wrote:Do you think there was any chance of locked in rudder thru interference or range issue?

Note which direction it has spiraled and see if there is a repeat should this happen again after the CG fix.
I tend to try and twist the wing panels some, shrink the newly created wrinkles in the covering to hold the twist with built up wings, but with iron on covering on solid balsa sheet wings there is less to work with.

No, I found the controils in good order. Also, no sanded-in twist in the wing panels.. These issues would have caused, I guess, the plane to fly erratically breakinhg into turns right or left, with even with the engine running, but I noticed no other problem than the constant climb i.e. I assume this may be a combination of CG and wing incidence problem.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:19 am

If you have a rearward CG it will pitch up and down you took off with up trim I can see it in the pic you posted. Im sure you had been pushing the elevator down letting off some pushing down again on the sticks trying to wrestle with it as you couldn't reach over to dial in trim as previously mentioned. If been there before and had a helping hand dial in a few clicks of down for me. When you are in this state simply throttle down some and it won't be climbing up slowing down enough for you to trim your plane.

I would get the CG right and adjust the trim first. 1 step at a time the AOA didn't look bad. You don't seem to have any engine down thrust that will cause conflict. Don't butcher the wing saddle yet.

Can you take a nice level side view pic?

Tee Dee Performance Crank - Page 6 Up_ele10

Last edited by 1/2A Nut on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:25 am

1/2A Nut wrote:If you have a rearward CG it will pitch up and down you took off with up trim I can see it in the pic you posted. I would get the CG right and adjust the trim first. 1 step at a time the AOA didn't look bad. You don't seem to have any engine down thrust that will cause conflict. Don't butcher the wing saddle yet.

Thanks,

will do as proposed I am also hesitating to butcher the fuse. I am in Germany now but will send a photo when I hit home tonight.
I would be reluctant to add lead fill to the front because of the extra weight/reduced speed but will consider if mnecessary...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:53 am

Typically you want a tad engine down thrust when under power and about 2 to 3 degs positive angle of attack with solid plank type wings. I also like longer tail moments with plank wings to help keep them tame if not then larger horizontal stabs to help keep the thin airfoil wing from being pitchy. If you just round the leading edge and don't sand in a full airfoil then they tend to be more pitchy. All this can be fixed with a solid forward CG when full of fuel. Typically acro planes fly between 25 to 30% off the leading edge of the wing.
I would strive for 20% when fueled.

You could do some test glides in soft tall grass to check trims. If you adjust cg and trims for a nice glide straight and level once you fire up the engine if no down thrust it should climb some. You may find when under power you have 2 clicks down and when powered off a few clicks up. Also your rates can be adjusted to suit such as low rates under full power.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:31 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:If you have a rearward CG it will pitch up and down you took off with up trim I can see it in the pic you posted. Im sure you had been pushing the elevator down letting off some pushing down again on the sticks trying to wrestle with it as you couldn't reach over to dial in trim as previously mentioned. If been there before and had a helping hand dial in a few clicks of down for me. When you are in this state simply throttle down some and it won't be climbing up slowing down enough for you to trim your plane.

I would get the CG right and adjust the trim first. 1 step at a time the AOA didn't look bad. You don't seem to have any engine down thrust that will cause conflict. Don't butcher the wing saddle yet.

Instead of a side view pic I sketched the dimensions I just measured, and here is the sketch. I calculated that the angle of incidence - at least the way I interprete what it is - is 1,86 degree...I am not sure if it is too  much, but do not suppose so.
Coversely, the CG is at about midway the wing cord i.e. 50% so I guess this needs to be relocated a bit forward by adding some weight to the nose...I was hoping not to have to do that...

What is your opinion finally?

Tee Dee Performance Crank - Page 6 Seedwi10
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:12 pm

CG needs to go forward, there is no way around that.

The wing incidence seems a little high, to me. You can have the bottom of the airfoil parallel to the stabilizer (i.e. 0° in your figure instead of 1.86°), you shouldn't need more than that. The real angle of attack is then not zero, but likely somewhere around 2° or so.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:16 pm

50% CG is very bad need 25% from leading edge. 1.86 degrees is just fine simply adjust your CG and trim your elevator in flight and you will have a tame plane.

Tee Dee Performance Crank - Page 6 Cg10

Last edited by 1/2A Nut on Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:33 pm

Surfer Kris, 1/2A Nut, thanks a lot..I will do the mods and let you know of the results.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:24 pm

1 adjustment at a time between flight tests
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:09 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:1 adjustment at a time between flight tests

Sure..I guess you meant the CG off the leading edge by 20% of the wind-cord length when the nose-mounted tank is full?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:16 pm

The readers of this topic may have realized that this evolved from a TD crank discussion into a building thread...I hope the plentiful information that the replies from 1/2A Nut, Surfer Kris , Mark Bosen and others carried - whom I again thank for the help - will be appreciated notwithstanding the detour from the original topic.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:25 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:50% CG is very bad need 25% from leading edge. 1.86 degrees is just fine simply adjust your CG and trim your elevator in flight and you will have a tame plane.

Tee Dee Performance Crank - Page 6 Cg10

Lol yes its of no matter now as results had been carried through with the crank testing.

Yes off leading edge per the last two photo's I posted. Your next flight should be more rewarding!

Airplane
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:34 pm

20-25% from leading edge with tank empty...like its going to be when your landing!

Remember the farther forward the weight the less you'll need and don't worry a small amount is not really going to change anything other then having a plane that flies well. I think Bernie had at one time some heavy hubs Cox used on the AT-6 and a Star Wars plane.
Probably the easiest would be to attach lead to the firewall or add a 1/4" fire wall and bring the whole powerplant out forward?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:10 am

I am having a new set of AAA batteries soldered in series for 4.8 volts and 800mAh and tucked under the baloon tank in the nose thus the extra weight will not only advance the cg position but also add practical value.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:41 am

Those are big batteries for 3 micro servos how much does it weigh?
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:54 am

I measured round about 30 grams = 1oz for the 4 altogether...I need about 40 grams to balance the plane, put in the nose...so the AAA battery weight is in the right ballpark
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:04 am

Ok great! Does that make it happen with the lighter 049 with a throttle sleeve?

RC Plane
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:31 am

I just got a digital scale and in fact the battery weighs 52gramms so it should also suffice for the 049 with throttle ring.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next