Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Needed help deciding on new airplane  Cox_ba12

Needed help deciding on new airplane  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:12 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by balogh Today at 10:40 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:43 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 7:11 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:37 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Yesterday at 9:49 am

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Yesterday at 6:32 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Sun May 12, 2024 9:52 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Needed help deciding on new airplane  Empty
Live on Patrol

Needed help deciding on new airplane

Go down

Happy Needed help deciding on new airplane

Post  getback Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:41 am

I am looking at buying me a new plane for 15 size engine OS or FOX ,  52-54 ' lines beginners to advancing stunt , I have never flown anything other than 1/2A / would like something fairly easy to built with full size plans so I can reproduce  because I am cheap and have wood . Thanks Eric Airplane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Happy New Plane

Post  RK Flyer Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:53 am

Try the Sig kit, Buster or Shoestring, Both sell for under $30.00. Or you can find the plans on line or send me a PM!

RK Flyer  Cold
RK Flyer
RK Flyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Happy Re: Needed help deciding on new airplane

Post  andrew Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:48 am

The SIG Akromaster is also a good choice: simple, inexpensive and easy to build and fly.

SIG Akromaster
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:51 am

I agree with the akromaster. Good cheap kit. No full size plan but there's not many parts so you can easily trace the out lines OR photocopy the parts sheets.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:14 pm

Fast Eddie (Lazer Works) has a short-kit for the Jetco Shark .15 that includes ALL the shaped parts (you provide the balsa sheet and hardware).

Mine is still going strong after several years, though it IS a bit over-powered with the Enya .19 that's bolted to it's nose, so it's mostly a hot dog-show off plane.

Also, Ed doesn't include plans, but they CAN be found and I'm pretty sure that I can find my set if you decide on this plane.

http://lazer-works.com/misc.html

Needed help deciding on new airplane  Shark10

Needed help deciding on new airplane  11_10

Needed help deciding on new airplane  9_11

Needed help deciding on new airplane  _010
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:05 pm

I have this in PDF, but cannot post it on this site --- can email if anyone is interested.

Needed help deciding on new airplane  Jetco_10
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:54 pm

Ok well for the price and easiness I think the SIG Akromaster for 27.03 and what ever else I can come up with from sig will be the one to order . I'll give it a little time but I trust you guys in knowing what is and is not a good flier . I have a shoestring and another 29 size model that need moving around repair , but take longer lines and my field doesn't have that room + I need fling time before going there . Will this model fly right out of the box or will it need mods.to get it right ??? Eric Rudolph
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:13 pm

getback wrote:Ok well for the price and easiness I think the SIG Akromaster for 27.03 and what ever else I can come up with from sig will be the one to order . I'll give it a little time but I trust you guys in knowing what is and is not a good flier . I have a shoestring and another 29 size model that need moving around repair , but take longer lines and my field doesn't have that room + I need fling time before going there . Will this model fly right out of the box or will it need mods.to get it right ???  Eric Rudolph
If you order two from sig shipping goes way down.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:56 pm

Eric, the Akromaster is completely capable of flying stunt. The only mod I would recommend initially is to sweep the gear slightly forward. I just sold mine recently so I can't give you the dimension I used. Many stunters have the wheels just lined up on the leading edge. I would move the wheels forward 1/2" from there. If not, the plane trips over it's gear on landing and flips over. Engine choice is critical. The Akromaster was designed around the old Fox  .15 and not a modern .15. I always wanted to use my Cox Medallion .15. If the modern .15 like the OS  LA is to be used, I would certainly add an additional rib bay on the inboard and outboard wing. This is also going to require about 3/4 oz of tail weight. Tanks are another consideration with the Akro. You don't have much real estate on the nose between the back of the engine and the leading edge. A 2 oz. tank would be sufficient, but many times it's going to require some plumbing changes especially if you choose a wedge due to the fuel pickup being directly into the back of the cylinder head. It would be much better to re plumb the tank with the pickup exiting the bottom and plug the pickup hole where it exits the front of the tank. This also keeps the fuel line very short rather than looping down the back of the cylinder and back up into the spraybar. That is always a major flaw when routing fuel tubing. Somewhere through the run, the engine is not going to be happy. This is usually overhead maneuvers. The end result is not a good one. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:39 pm

Just curious about your engines Eric.. Is the OS a .15 FP-S? I think OS made one.. and the Fox.. is it the older .15 Like I have?

Here's my Fox .15.. I have second one of the same vintage that needs a piston.

Needed help deciding on new airplane  Dsc01810
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:40 pm

Roddie , OS15FP the FOX15  Needed help deciding on new airplane  Fox_1510  Needed help deciding on new airplane  Fox_1511  Needed help deciding on new airplane  Fox_1512  I don't know I just got this with some others turns over ! ..... Ken probably knows he is the fox man // and I will be sure to reread this when putting things together , sure I'll have some questions  ? I have 2 medallions 15 size ?? Ill figure more on it as it goes ..Jim , I may consider another plane  for the differences in the s&h cost . Thanks All !! Eric Small Cox Logo MR. Big Nose Needed help deciding on new airplane  Wp_20138

Last edited by getback on Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add Cox 15 Pic.)
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:52 pm

That Fox is the .15 X slant plug. I like those engines and they work very well when propped with a 7" prop. I like MA 7x6's and APC 7 x 6's. Let them wind up and go. Many don't like the Fox .15. Certainly not Fp power, but they're very light compared to a FP. Good power for a JR Flite Streak. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:26 pm

How's the Shark as a stunter? I've never flown a Junior sized plane, and I have Thunder Tiger 15 that needs a job as well as a Tee Dee .09 that I've never cranked.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:36 pm

I'd imagine that one properly built, would be a great plane. Mine is powered by the Enya .19, given to me by Wayne, is rather fast. I just hot-dog it around without any serious pattern work...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Happy Akromaster IT IS !!

Post  getback Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:41 am

Got it ordered also some steel lines 015x52" I hope I got the right stuff / some fuel and props I needed // after all was said and done 80.00 . Is this plane going to take a handle with a 3" line spread ? I hope to get soon and get started on the build , maybe get in the air before it gets too cold , Also PM sent to Andrew for plans for the Shark15 I would have rather had a built up wing but this will build a lot faster  Thanks again everone . Eric 's Christmas Present to me Bad Xmas Gift Christmas Tree  Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:00 pm

getback wrote:Got it ordered also some steel lines 015x52" I hope I got the right stuff / some fuel and props I needed // after all was said and done 80.00 . Is this plane going to take a handle with a 3" line spread ? I hope to get soon and get started on the build , maybe get in the air before it gets too cold , Also PM sent to Andrew for plans for the Shark15 I would have rather had a built up wing but this will build a lot faster  Thanks again everone . Eric 's Christmas Present to me Bad Xmas Gift Christmas Tree  Very Happy

You may find the .015 lines a little draggy. I like .012's for .20 or less engines.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:11 pm

gcb wrote:You may find the .015 lines a little draggy. I like .012's for .20 or less engines.

George
I agree, but keep the .015s, you'll be needing them sooner or later. The AMA rules are overkill, at least according to the FAI. They fly the big ships on .015" lines.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:53 pm

Akromaster with Cox Medallion .15 on it. Seems to pull well. More like the pilot is like me and doesn't want to break the plane doing stuff he's not comfortable with.

The AkroMark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down