Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Old Scale models I built... Cox_ba12

Old Scale models I built... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 11:52 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 11:01 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:12 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by rdw777 Today at 8:06 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Old Scale models I built... Empty
Live on Patrol

Old Scale models I built...

Go down

Old Scale models I built... Empty Old Scale models I built...

Post  stuntflyr Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:06 pm

I like old 40's, 50's and 60's Scale models and have built a few. Here is a 1947 24" Scientific kit of the Beechcraft Staggerwing I restored, modified and finished for my father in the same markings as his Staggerwing he taught me to fly in when I was a kid back in the 70's. Also a 1950 Paul Plecan plans built 52 inch Tigercat that I built for VSC in 2007 because all Olde Time designs are ugly and I wanted to have the Olde Time Stunt design that was anti-ugly.

Beechcraft; Hollow log kit, sheet tail, built up wings, made for ignition but equipped with a McCoy Sportsman .36 rear rotor engine which was the first engine designed by Dick McCoy for the glow plug, also in 1947. Froom spinner, Grish Plasticote prop, Champion glow plug, Veco wheels, Perfect wheel collars, Veco tank and bellcrank with piano wire controls and sheet brass around piano wire hinges. The gear doors are plywood, I covered it with PolySpan and dope, the fuselage and sheet was carbon fibre veil and dope, and finished it with LusterKote. I would've been better off with dope because the LusterKote ClearKote crazed after a year and made bad Aerogloss look good. The decals were custom made for me by Keith Robinson of Red Pegasus Decals in Ohio. The little McCoy and Beechcraft decals with a tiny gold backed Scientific logo under the Beechcraft logo were beautifully made and customized by Keith, and the whole model was built under the motif of how my father might've built his own "dream ship" in the 40's when he was a teenager. I presented it to him for Christmas and he loved it.

Tigercat; Plecan plans were provided full size by Keith Trostle and I built the fuselage, fin and nacelles/cowlings by the plans by using a carbon paper trace and trimming and sanding to proper fit, glued it together by the keel method as described in the plans, and the wing and stab were foam cut by Bob Hunt of Stunt flying and foam and lost foam wing construction fame. I planked the fuselage and nacelles like the olden days and it was a lot of fun, it all sanded together nicely. The cowling drawings were of concern because the 1/2 inch balsa I used was 4.5 pound density and I wanted the drawings to be accurate and all of the layers actually meet when it got down to the size and shape while shaping them. Paul Plecan drew some good plans because it worked perfectly. Bob Whitely made the tanks, and the original engines were OS 15 FPs with APC 9x5s. The model was painted with LusterKote over LustreKote white and the stencils were made by Emily at CLC in New Mexico. After about a dozen flights at two contests I retired it and retro'd it's look with McCoy 19 redhead engines from my long ago youth, Veco 2 inch spinners, 8x5 Power Props, Veco main wheels (later with Perfect wheel collars), and a Perfect nosewheel and wheel collar. The canopy and windshield were flat plastic glued around a plywood frame and the pilot a Williams Bros 1" to 1' WWII type. The finish was turning by the time I took these pictures in 2010 and this is the problem with LusterKote, it isn't a stable or reliable finish and I cannot recommend it to anyone, I threw all of my remaining cans in the trash. I would stay with dope or urethane car paint from now on.

Hope you all like a little blast of the control line past. (I have a couple more coming up, a Sterling Corsair Carrier model and a Top Flite P-51 Form Flite Scale ship with 60's racer paint scheme.)

Chris...
Old Scale models I built... Scient11
Old Scale models I built... Scient13Old Scale models I built... Scient12Old Scale models I built... Stagge14Old Scale models I built... Stagge15Old Scale models I built... Stagge16Old Scale models I built... Stagge17Old Scale models I built... Tigerc15Old Scale models I built... Tigerc16Old Scale models I built... Tigerc17Old Scale models I built... Tigerc18Old Scale models I built... Tigerc20Old Scale models I built... Tigerc21Old Scale models I built... Tigerc22Old Scale models I built... Tigerc23
stuntflyr
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Old Scale models I built... Empty Re: Old Scale models I built...

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:47 pm

Hi Chris, I enjoyed every word of your trip down memory lane. The pictures and the planes are fantastic. Interesting lead-outs on the Tigercat.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  stuntflyr Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks RSV,
Glad you liked them, I can't wait to see your Sterling Nieuport.
Chris...
stuntflyr
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:45 pm

Hi Chris,

Good to see you posting/hearing from you!

For those that don't know, Chris volunteered to do the very first tach race!

Old Scale models I built... Chris_10
Old Scale models I built... Chris_11
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:30 am

I don't know what it is about old models. They just look awesome to me. They have a appearance that no newer model has. I'm not sure if it's the paint, the style. Chris I remember when you posted the Staggerwing on Stunt Hangar years ago. A beautiful job you did. I was fortunate to see a Staggerwing that flew into a local airport here. The owner let myself and my kids sit in the cockpit after he gave us a little demonstration on how to get into the plane. What to walk on and what not to walk on. I attend a fun fly about 2 hours from home which has entirely paved circles. Many there are older and fly these old scale birds. I really enjoy watching them. Some of the builders are well into their 80's. Just a very cool sight to see and hear. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  stuntflyr Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:23 pm

Thanks Ken. I do enjoy these models and intend to fly my own Staggerwing from the same kit with a McCoy 19 rear rotor. I hear they fly well, and with the .19 will be a better fit than the .36. I'm going to paint that one in the colors of the Beech my dad pylon raced at the Reno Air Races in 1970. I was lucky enough to have parents that owned a Staggerwing and so the airplane has a special place for me in my mind and heart. My dad still flies R/C at 81, I bought him and myself two Staggerwing foam ARFs a few months ago to replace his ParkZone T-28 and just because i thought mine was cool (like i need another model). He says it's the "biplane T-28" for it's good flying qualities, with retracts and flaps preinstalled no less. I love to land mine in the grass looking for a good three pointer.

I should fly C/L more often and hope to fly some Stunt soon with the idea of participating at VSC this year. There is one Scale contest around here during the year and was converting a 55" CAP232 R/C kit to controline so maybe I'll even complete that and fly a Scale event!

I like your avatar, I still have a NIB 050 Shuriken in the last run gold anodise finish. Cool little engines.

Chris...
stuntflyr
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down