Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Piece of history found Cox_ba12

Piece of history found Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Sherline lathe wont run
by GallopingGhostler Today at 10:15 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by 706jim Today at 8:13 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Today at 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Today at 5:59 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 12:26 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:12 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:43 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by Mark Boesen Yesterday at 11:53 pm

» Baja Bug / Dune Buggy Recoil Starter
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:57 pm

» Wanted: Pull Starter reapir kit for a Cox Dune Buggy.
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:55 pm

» cox dune buggy/ baja bug
by vambrosini Yesterday at 8:49 pm

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 7:37 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Piece of history found Empty
Live on Patrol

Piece of history found

Go down

Piece of history found Empty Piece of history found

Post  balogh Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:51 pm

(Do not read it if you are fed up with the nostalgia of a COX lover living in a faraway country of a roller-coaster history. This maybe a bit boring to you who may always have had access to whatever hobby you are indulged in)

The year 1974, when I saw a COX Stuka first time in my life (owned by a highschool buddy who relocated from Germany to Hungary) marks the beginning of my obsession with COX. I wanted to have one for myself and hand-scribbled a letter in my Hunglish and sent it to COX in Santa Ana California, (myself pictured in front of the 1974 address 39 years later : Piece of history found Santa_10  )

asking them in what way I could buy a C/L plane from COX.

Our national currency not yet fully (or rather, at all) convertible then, the deal failed..I was not much of an economist at my age of 16 (neither am I today) and naively hoped there must be a solution...

Although highly unexpected as it was during the Cold War, much to my surprise COX responded and sent me some apologetic lines saying that although we cannot do any deal for the time being, "...there will be perhaps some times when COX products will be available in Hungary..." (The "times" of freedom have finally come, with COX unfortunately gone in the meantime... I found other ways  to get a Super Sport Trainer and a couple of Bees even back in the late 1970-s though)

I still remember the nicely typed letter,  but could not find it among the pile of printed material COX was kind enough to send me in the yellow envelop in the middle of the photo below, the stamp showing a postage date of October 30 1974.
Piece of history found Cox_ca10

I have been looking for this envelop - and in particular, the letter, just to find out who signed it at COX back in 1974 - for some time around my house, where it was put in a safe place (too safe, actually) before we started a major house reconstruction project  some years ago, and I have finally found it.

Plenty of very interesting catalogs there, I will for sure read them all tonight...Just in case any one of you is interested in some of them, I will be pleased to send photos...the 1974 Illustrated Parts Catalog includes the illustrative listing with exploded view of various COX engines, planes, cars that you may have and want to complete with some parts missing but perhaps still available on feebay...Feel free to inquire for photos. (And fell free, anyway Smile )
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Piece of history found Empty Re: Piece of history found

Post  Marleysky Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:35 pm

Wow, 41 years of being "Hungary" for the Cox addiction fix.  ( sorry for the pun). I feel good for you to have made the trek back to the beginnings of your hobby.
Also,  glad that you have been able to obtain a lifetime supply of these little engines. I know I feel fortunate to have found this forum with other members who enjoy our hobby.  It's a great feeling to know that there are others who have a similar passion and enjoy sharing their knowledge.  I know I've learned many new things about my engines and where to find plans that'll keep me making balsa dust for a decade or two.   Babe Bee  Rene.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:05 pm

Ah Balogh, that must have been quite a nostalgic rush.
There should be an archive for treasures like yours.
Maybe the letter will show up in a few more years, insuring
another hefty rush.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:46 pm

I'd like to see a scan of the letter!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:16 pm

Even behind the Iron Curtain, your first Cox inspiration was with a Stuka. That's amazing, so many stories started with A beautiful black Cox Stuka. My story did too, and it's posted around here somewhere, probably three years ago.

The Soviet Bloc was such a dark mysterious and scary concept for us Westerners for so long, and I couldn't even envision regular people just like me-just like you- doing fun things like flying model planes. I'm sure glad we got that cleared up, such as it is. Unfortunately, I think Vlad the Putin would like things to go back to the bad old ways.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down