Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate  - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate  - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by Admin Today at 3:25 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by roddie Today at 2:48 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 12:38 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 10:31 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate  - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate  - Page 3 Empty RE: Differences between Sure Start and product engines

Post  66 Malibu Fri May 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Roddie,
Several years back CEF member Big Al from Slidell made exactly what your looking for. It was an adapter plate made out of 5/16 in. hard maple with the outline of the SS back plate but the center hollowed out and an open top for the SS snorkel.
I got three from him that are perfect to fit a SS to any existing Cox radial back plate bolt pattern.
Don't know if he is still about the forum but his machine work was beautiful.
Wish I wasn't so ignorant that I could post pics !!!!
I know it is so last century, but if you PM me a fax number, I will fax pics to you..

Steve.....
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate  - Page 3 Empty Re: Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate

Post  roddie Fri May 26, 2017 3:47 pm

66 Malibu wrote:Roddie,
Several years back CEF member Big Al from Slidell made exactly what your looking for. It was an adapter plate made out of 5/16 in. hard maple with the outline of the SS back plate but the center hollowed out and an open top for the SS snorkel.
I got three from him that are perfect to fit a SS to any existing Cox radial back plate bolt pattern.
Don't know if he is still about the forum but his machine work was beautiful.
Wish I wasn't so ignorant that I could post pics !!!!
I know it is so last century, but if you PM me a fax number, I will fax pics to you..

Steve.....

Hi Steve, thanks for the info./offer. I can imagine how Big Al's mounts were made from your description. An added benefit is that the 5/16" square blocks locate the engine's case further forward. This can functionally help to add nose-weight to a previous non-choke-tube backplate set-up.. or help to balance a model that previously had a tanked-Bee.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate  - Page 3 Empty #1259 product backplates

Post  roddie Sat May 27, 2017 2:43 pm

I mistakenly posted this before I was done writing.. There will be edits..  Laughing   #1259 product-engine horseshoe-backplates.. I ordered several direct from Cox between 1990 and 1994. Mine are all black-plastic. At some point in between those years, Cox started shipping the backplates with their newly-designed flanged-cap reed-retainer. My 1st order of 3 backplates were the circlip-type retainer/housing. I ordered a total of 7 backplates spanning those years, for use on my balsa models with external fuel tanks. That's when I first started designing my own little C/L sheet-wing/profile models.. and it was joyous.. because they flew pretty good.  

Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate  - Page 3 Produc10

Looking-over my Cox replacement-parts sheets (1991, 92 and 94..) I see that in 1994.. the part# is listed as 1258.. with the description; Backplate Carburetor (Only) w/cap..

I placed orders with Cox over that span of years, all requesting #1259 backplates.. see below;

Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate  - Page 3 9-27-911
Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate  - Page 3 1-13-910
Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate  - Page 3 2-8-9412

Note that the carb/backplate price increases from $2.25 in 1991.. to $3.35 in 1993. I think that this was when Cox redesigned the backplate for the first time in several years; since their first modular 190/290/postage-stamp design.

Both of my Cox RTF airplanes had black horseshoe "circlip-style" backplates. They were my PT-19 Flight-Trainer and Cosmic Wind. The circlip-style are all broken now.. except for a single "white plastic" one (1st photo bottom-right).. not sure where that came from. There wasn't a crankcase with it when it came into my possession. I think that the aluminum needle and black Neoprene fuel-line are original.

Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate  - Page 3 White_14

The newer "flanged" cap-style retainer took a while to grow on me.. I remember thinking.. what's this??  Huh...

Here's a diagram that Cox sent with the part.. after they'd redesigned it.

Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate  - Page 3 Cap-fl10

That was it.. no case-gasket is shown.. only this illustration. This would lead me to believe that a case-gasket would still be required.. and  be installed over the cap and against the case. I'm guessing that this is as far as "Cox" took the design.. prior to being acquired by Estes?

Fast-forward to last month.. and there's the Sure-Start backplate parts that I bought bulk-discounted from Cox international. Backplates/snorkels in 3-packs x2 and snap-on retainers 10-pack x1.

Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate  - Page 3 Horses10

I bought 6 short-needles, some Mylar reeds and a Tee Dee radial-mount from ExModel Engines.

Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate  - Page 3 Receiv11

In 2012.. a couple years before joining CEF.. I ordered some Cox engine parts from Mini-Glow Planes.com in Texas.

Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate  - Page 3 Dsc04110

Some Sig Champion "25" 1/2A glow-fuel.. a Bee crankcase (which would Bee used in my CEF "Reed-Speed" engine).. a small Sullivan clunk-tank and an assortment of reeds; oval-shaped in the familiar Mylar (.005" thickness).. but also offered in Steel (.002" thickness).. and Teflon (.010" thickness). This intrigued me.. because I'd only had prior-experience with the Berylium/Copper-star (.001") and the .005" Mylar reeds. I have not tried either the Steel or Teflon. The "Steel" reed; I've read can wear the anodizing off of the seat of a tanked-engine. Being .002" in thickness.. I'd be curious to see how that reed might run in an early plastic backplate/carb designed for the circlip-retainer/.001" Copper-star reed??

There are also "Crystal" (acrylic) reeds available.. as well as "CEF Store" experimental Mylar reeds to test.

I have been a proponent of the Cox .049 reed-valve engines. They carried me into this hobby!

Last edited by roddie on Sat May 27, 2017 6:52 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : blah blah blah)
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate  - Page 3 Empty Re: Differences between Sure Start And Product Engine With Horseshoe Backplate

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum