Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine Cox_ba12

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:27 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 6:51 pm

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by roddie Today at 5:11 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 3:14 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 2:31 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:16 am

» Happy Anzac Day!
by Boats13 Today at 6:03 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Yesterday at 1:20 pm

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 5:25 am

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:15 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:06 am

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 12:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine Empty
Live on Patrol

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine

Page 1 of 31 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next

Go down

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine Empty Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:17 am

I am Steven Stanley Bayes and I have a Cox .049 SureStart Diesel Engine. I am currently making ( almost done ) a Micro ( 12V ) DC Generator with Micro Engine with Internal Combustion for which I am using Cox .049 SureStart Diesel Engine to run a RS555 dynamo ( DC Generator ). The project has electrical blowers and electrical PC fans for a better cooling as well as and ampermeter and a voltmeter at this stage. Electronics for power, current and voltage monitoring and protection as well as for providing an unregulated as well as a regulated 12VDC, around 24W or more output and a regulated 5VDC, 500mA or more standard USB output ( s ). To muffle the engine, a standard Cox muffler is used.

The application is to provide power everywhere on the go and may appeal to all outdoorers. Modellers with electric models may wish to use this for recharging their batteries on the field. Laptops, pads and cellular telephones as well as radio and walkie talkie communication devices are welcome to be recharged on the field as well as hunting cameras and, most importantly, GPS telephones and communication devices, mainly GPS locators and intelligent maps.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.Steven-Stanley-Bayes.com

Back to top Go down

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine Empty Re: Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine

Post  duke.johnson Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:23 am

Well, I can be the only one thinking it. Let's see pictures. COOL!
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine Empty Micro ( 12VDC ) Generator with a Micro Engine with Internal Combustion Cox .049 SureStart Diesel Engine

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:24 am

I have written a thesis in regards to Cox .049 SureStart Diesel Engine which I would like to post here for your help, comments, ideas and general discussion.

The thesis is a rather large Word for Windows .doc document and I am unable to post this here as I cannot see a link which allows to upload documents.

I have, however, uploaded this thesis on a website and I do have the link thereto, but, I am not allowed to post links for one week because I have just registered on the forum, so, sorry, but these interested should wait for a week.

The thesis addresses the complete disassembly and description of the engine as well as start up algorithms and fuels and much more. This thesis is to be used as part of the documentation for the project I am working on ( almost done ) which is a Micro ( 12VDC ) Generator with a Micro Engine with Internal Combustion, in this case Cox .049 SureStart Diesel Engine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine Empty Re: Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine

Post  Marleysky Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:29 am

WOW! You've got quite a unique project going. WELCOME to the forum. If I can't fix it with a new C cell or D cell battery, I'm done. But there aRe others here on the forum that'll be of better electrical assistance, and many who have immense knowledge of the care and feeding of the Cox powerplant.   Let's see some pictures / video of your work in progress.   Again, welcome to the forum. bounce
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine Empty Pictures and Videos

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:52 am

At the present, I do not have neither pictures nor videos and the engine as well as all other parts are totally disassembled. I was stupid enough to attempt to reset the piston with a rubber mallet which just bounced back and di nothing, then, I was even more stupid to used a hammer and hammer around like a stevedore and I pushed the piston rod and piston joint too much to become fixed. Then, I attempted to pull the piston with two sets of pliers and I succeeded to an extend but I was greedy for more and even more and more stupid and finally I broke the piston rod!

On the top of everything, the piston got enlarged and I attempted to fix this by rotation and hammering the piston walls and the top of the piston. I was thinking also of grinding.

However, I am happy because I have been stupid : Since I broke the piston rod I ordered a new one and would now wait for the new one to arrive. Thus, I would not attempt to start the engine with a home made piston which, almost for sure, was to damage the cylinder and, probably, the crankshaft. Stupidity seemed to help in this case. : )

I would like to mention I would be happy to have any help, input, comments and ideas in regards to the engine. Any electrical help is to be always welcome although I am not much concerned with the electrical part.

One difference between this project and most ( or all ) people in the forum is : most or all people here are interested how to get the most out of the engine at the highest RPM possible. I am probably the only person in the world who is interested in running the engine at the lowest RPM possible in order to increase the long term reliability. The torque and a couple of pulleys driven by a belt will convert the low RPM into a higher RPM for the dynamo should this be necessary. Anyway, lowest RPM are not exactly necessary, somewhat low RPM would be nice but, even running the engine at the standard low RPM ( around 4000, even more is OK ), so, everything goes.

Another topic I need a great help with ( NOT NOW, IN THE FUTURE ), I would be extremely happy to be able to use alternative fuel. A standard diesel fuel for the engine ( Ether, Kerosene or Methanol, Castor Oil ) may as well cost $30 per litre. In case anyone wants to run the generator for the whole night one may need 1 or 2 litre. Can anyone imagine to pay $60 to run a micro generator when one can get a grass trimmer gasoline two cycle mini engine and run the same or more powerful generator with standard gasoline and two cycle oil. One may even get a Honda generator ( briefcase size ) for $1200 and will be less expensive.

Many people have claimed they have managed to run the engine on biodiesel which I have been happy to here. I have managed to start and run the engine on standard fuel ( 40% Ether ( John Deere ), 35% Kerosene, 25% Castor Oil as well as 40% Ether ( John Deere ), 35% Kerosene, 25% Castor Oil, 3% Cetane Booster ) but I have not been able to start the engine on biodiesel nor on pump diesel ( also attempted without expectation, though ). Due to conditions issues ( improvised stand yet not ready because of laziness ), I have not been able to run the engine on standard fuel to get the engine hot and then to load biodiesel when the engine has just burned the standard fuel or just to do so.

There are more things but I do not want to overload you with questions for now.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:03 am

Welcome to CEF, Steven.
Is this intended to fit into a backpack? I don't have as much experience with diesel efficiency compared to glow fuel. Is it necessary to have a throttle to keep the rpm in the peak power band as the load changes? For instance adding and removing devices makes the generator harder or easier to turn. That Surestart, probably puts out 50 or so watts at full scream(.06hp, I'm just guessing). You think it will turn that generator hard enough to support the fans and electronics, as well as a 12v/25W supply plus a 5v USB port? A drained laptop battery is going to seem like a bottomless pit to it, but if you can supply enough fuel I'd be curious to see it work.
Rusty

EDIT: I see you wrote a bunch while I was posting. I'll go back and re-read, maybe you answered my questions.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:39 am

Now that's interesting!

Could you just copy-paste the abstract here as text? As a teaser Very Happy

Or maybe post the link "spelled out" like www dot websitename dot com and so on?
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:50 am

Steven, if you want you can PM me the link and I can post it for you.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:45 pm

Welcome to the Forum Steven , sounds like you have got it going on there .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:58 pm

Welcome
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:06 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:08 pm

Welcome to THE FORUM! Also, good luck with your project!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine Empty The Thesis

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:09 pm

I do not want to break any form rules here but, I guess, I am aloud to explain the thesis which would also be used ( edited or not ) for the project documentation.

I will message the link to the interested but, also, anyone who wants can go to google and search the web for " Steven Stanley Bayes ". The first, or one of the first items found would be the personal website which would be recognised by the name which is Steven Stanley Bayes with dashes and dot com.

Once in the web site, close the possible advertisings which may appear because of the webhost and scroll the home page down. There will be a few links there to various documents. One of the link ( the first for now ) is called : Cox .049 SureStart Diesel

This is the thesis.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:30 pm

KariFS wrote:Now that's interesting!

Could you just copy-paste the abstract here as text? As a teaser Very Happy

Or maybe post the link " spelled out " like www dot websitename dot com and so on?

The thesis is around 75 pages and is very difficult to write an abstract. Contains a lot of pictures and schematics too. I have posted an explanation of how to get to the thesis with words and emailed the link to another person in the forum.

As a teaser : the thesis will be used as part of the documentation of the project, the main part as the rest is pretty basic. May be edited.

The thesis contains discussion of the general principle of work of engines, two cycle mainly, as well as specifics on what I have done with the Cox engine.

The thesis has been written for everyone to understand without any knowledge of engines of any kind.

The part which concerns the Cox engine describes the engine with pictures and schematics and has bee written after full disassembly of the engine as well as a piston resetting attempt.

The part also contains information on fuel with which successful as well as unsuccessful attempts to start the engine have been made.

In more practical terms, the thesis contains a quick guide to a successful start up procedure which I call a start up algorithm which I have been using to start the engine. Seems to work pretty fine.

StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine Empty The Thesis : Cox .049 SureStart Diesel Engine

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:56 pm

I have written a thesis on the engine to be used ( edited or not ) as the major part of the documentation for the whole project.

Because I am not allowed to post links for a week, these who are interested can go to google and search with the words " Steven Stanley Bayes ". One of the first ( the first ) item which google finds is the personal website which is Steven Stanley Bayes with dashes and dot com. Close the automatically inserted advertisements by the web host and scroll the main page. There will be links to various documents. The first ( for now ) link is called : " Cox .049 SureStart Diesel ". Click on this link to view or download the thesis which is in Word for Windows . doc format.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:58 pm

duke.johnson wrote:Well, I can be the only one thinking it.  Let's see pictures. COOL!

Pictures and videos are to come.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:59 pm

Marleysky wrote:WOW! You've got quite a unique project going. WELCOME to the forum. If I can't fix it with a new C cell or D cell battery, I'm done. But there aRe others here on the forum that'll be of better electrical assistance, and many who have immense knowledge of the care and feeding of the Cox powerplant.   Let's see some pictures / video of your work in progress.   Again, welcome to the forum. bounce

Pictures and videos are to come.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:35 pm

On Pg 71,
The engine that you are using will run both clockwise and counter clockwise. Only the Tee Dee or the RR-1 will only run one direction.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:40 pm

Also, you mention later about oils. Castor oil is necessary in the operation of COX engines, to protect the moving parts, as it will leave a residue. Similar to lead in older gas for the valve seats.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:52 pm

If you don't mind me saying, after briefly reading your document, don't get stuck on the diesel power.  Get the project put together and operating, then switch to diesel.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:14 pm

Here's the link to StevenStanleyBayes' Document http://www.steven-stanley-bayes.com/Cox%20.049%20SureStart%20Diesel.doc

I downloaded it and skimmed it, I'll need to fully read it later.

I had an idea similar to yours. Basically to build an .049 powered flashlight that could be also used to output 5vdc to power and charge USB devices such as a cellphone. I would use a car engine with a pull start for ease of starting and because of the clutch that disallows it from running backwards. A good 10+ years ago a stand that was selling gasoline generators out at the Minnesota State Fair had a Cox Babe Bee fitted with a big flywheel connected to a gearbox that was spinning a small ac alternator that could power a few flashlight bulbs and I think they even had a handheld TV hooked up to it. I regret never getting a picture of it.

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine 005
Take a look at this site, http://dieselrc.com/projects/coxgen/

I don't recall what the average horsepower of a standard Cox .049 engine is but you can't load these down too much before they kill. That would explain the gearbox on the one I seen at the State Fair, needed to increase the torque.

Last edited by Admin on Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:20 pm

Admin wrote:Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine 005
Take a look at this site, http://dieselrc.com/projects/coxgen/

This page was last modified:
01/14/2012 17:01:56

I guess he lost interest. I'd use a car engine with the larger crank. That is a good design on the stator sliding over the nose. Wonder why it wasn't meant to be???
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:24 pm

Maybe easier to hook it up to a brushless outrunner, especially for a test run of the theory.

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine BrushlessMotors7
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:30 pm

WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:33 pm

WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 31 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next