Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Cox_ba12

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox Ryan ST 2.0
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 11:40 pm

» Blue backplate postage stamp engine
by duaneh Yesterday at 10:52 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 3:45 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:34 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:41 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:24 pm

» Internet buy
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 9:15 am

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 8:26 am

» Sherline lathe wont run
by getback Yesterday at 7:15 am

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Tue May 14, 2024 7:38 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2022
by roddie Tue May 14, 2024 5:59 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Tue May 14, 2024 11:12 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Empty
Live on Patrol

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'...

Go down

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Empty Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'...

Post  Kim Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:30 pm

Like the Skunk Works needs ANOTHER model kit wedged into it's crowded quarters, I just received these two Blackhawk versions of Mr. Walt's 'Thunderbird' and 'Stitts Playboy' slab-winged hollow loggers.  Found them on my doorstep when I got home last night, settled in to my living room to pin the Thunderbird together and watch Star Trek...a pretty nice wrap-up to the day.

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... 2_23

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... 3_17

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Capt_b10

Big Otto is ready to rock, my Golden Hawk and Stunt Trainer are about to get color shot at them, so if I can keep the ball rolling, I'll have a regular "Musciano Air Force" here in a while.  Think I'm gonna dust of some Wen Mac's and Cubs for these guys.

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... 1_33

Such a weird deal to have put these things together as a kid, assembling them on a lid salvaged from a deskette set, and dreaming about bigger, faster, radio-controlled stuff and building equipment. And now...pushing most of this stuff aside to build them again.  Weird-Weird-Weird....

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Sam_0010

Last edited by Kim on Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Empty Re: Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'...

Post  roddie Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:37 pm

Nothing weird about it! It's Love.. (never mind McDonald's and Subaru..) Model Airplanes=Love.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Empty Re: Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'...

Post  batjac Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:57 pm

Kim,

Who did you order the kits from? I'm thinking I'd best order a couple of old Scientific hollow log kits before Blackhawk stops making them.

The Squirreling Away Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:11 pm

batjac wrote:Kim,

Who did you order the kits from?  I'm thinking I'd best order a couple of old Scientific hollow log kits before Blackhawk stops making them.

Got them here:

http://bjm-home.com/models.html

A while back, Matt/microflitedude and someone else directed me to Outerzone http://www.outerzone.co.uk/, and I've been downloading all the Musciano Plans they list, and making a slideshow screensaver for my computer.

It's true...love this stuff.  The Thunderbird was one I'd missed, and liked the wide wing of the Stitts Playboy, so got that one too.

Want to build me a 'Zipper' but no kits for it (yet), so it'll be a scratched out project.  Built one back in the day flew the wing off of it (literally!).

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Scient10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:50 pm

You know I love the Zipper. One of the first models that I ever built.

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Z-2001_zps981c21d9
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:29 pm

Kim wrote:
batjac wrote:Kim,

Who did you order the kits from?  I'm thinking I'd best order a couple of old Scientific hollow log kits before Blackhawk stops making them.

Got them here:

http://bjm-home.com/models.html

A while back, Matt/microflitedude and someone else directed me to Outerzone http://www.outerzone.co.uk/, and I've been downloading all the Musciano Plans they list, and making a slideshow screensaver for my computer.

It's true...love this stuff.  The Thunderbird was one I'd missed, and liked the wide wing of the Stitts Playboy, so got that one too.

Want to build me a 'Zipper' but no kits for it (yet), so it'll be a scratched out project.  Built one back in the day flew the wing off of it (literally!).

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Scient10

Do any of the other airplanes that you wish to build, incorporate the hollow-log fuse.. like the others you're building? I have some balsa that's 1.75" thick x 15"L. x 12"W solid wood.. that I could rip down to a specified width and throw in the mail for you. I have a couple similar size "planks" but this one is the lightest of them. It would carve/sand/rout-out easily.

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Balsa_10

This piece is 12"W X 15"L on the longest side.. and 13.5"L on the shortest side.

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Balsa_11

Just under a pound and a half.. I don't know what that works out to per cu. ft. but it's pretty light solid wood. At 1.75" thick.. it should be plenty wide for a fuse.. (or plenty "tall".. depending on what you're building) A 1" wide strip for example, by around 10-12"L. would make a nice carved-out scale fuse for a 1/4A .020 or even .010 powered airplane.

PM me if you're interested Kim.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:37 pm

rsv1cox wrote:You know I love the Zipper.  One of the first models that I ever built.

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Z-2001_zps981c21d9

How cool...I've said it before that it's amazing (at least to me) how similar a lot our tracks were.

You even duplicated it's paint scheme! Mine was much more...'rustic' would be a kind word...but it flew great. I had not graduated to inverted flight, and Zipper's life span didn't stretch that far, so I never got to see it go inverted with that flat-bottomed airfoil. Were you able to fly it upside-down?

My more-or-less healthy Zipper succumbed to my youthful desire to modify stuff, and it was the tragic recipient of a 98 cent "Fly-by-Night Kit" from America's Hobby Center. A daytime test-run saw it smack hard enough to knock the body loose from the wing, and a poor repair caused the fuse to finally depart the wing for good.

Can't remember what happened to my "Fly-by-Night Kit"....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:55 pm

I was a lot smarter back then Kim, steadier too.

I don't recall if I tried it inverted, probably not as it was still in one piece years later when I took that photo. I think the first C/L that I ever intentionally flew inverted was my home built "flaps" model made out of a horizontal stablizer from a crashed R/C model.

The "fly by night" kit is a new one on me. I did a lot of business with AHC years ago, but it was mostly model railroad stuff. AHM by Rivarossi, switches, track etc..
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:45 pm

rsv1cox wrote:

The "fly by night" kit is a new one on me.  I did a lot of business with AHC years ago, but it was mostly model railroad stuff.  AHM by Rivarossi, switches, track etc..  

Oh yeah!  The FBN Kit was a highly technical device, comprised of an AA battery holder, a switch, wires, and two "pea lamps"...and weighed a ton when viewed by the victim plane.

The good thing was, it DID fit into my budget...

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Fly-by10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:00 pm

Kim wrote:Like the Skunk Works needs ANOTHER model kit wedged into it's crowded quarters, I just received these two Blackhawk versions of Mr. Walt's 'Thunderbird' and 'Stitts Playboy' slab-winged hollow loggers.  Found them on my doorstep when I got home last night, settled in to my living room to pin the Thunderbird together and watch Star Trek...a pretty nice wrap-up to the day.

Big Otto is ready to rock, my Golden Hawk and Stunt Trainer are about to get color shot at them, so if I can keep the ball rolling, I'll have a regular "Musciano Air Force" here in a while.  Think I'm gonna dust of some Wen Mac's and Cubs for these guys.

Such a weird deal to have put these things together as a kid, assembling them on a lid salvaged from a deskette set, and dreaming about bigger, faster, radio-controlled stuff and building equipment. And now...pushing most of this stuff aside to build them again.  Weird-Weird-Weird....

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Sam_0010

Hey Kim!  How do you just " find them on your doorstep"? DO you have something like the Easter Rabbit that delivers balsa Kits.....maybe the Balsa Bunny??
 I Know what you mean about feeling wierd about going back to our youth...don't need digital servos or GHz transmitters, give me a handle and 35ft of lines Whhhoo Buddy! Even Shrug was going back in time in his ManCave!  by the why does your Gold Hawk look something like this:  
Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Hondaa10
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:59 pm

Now THAT dude has seen some stuff!  Still...a little sanding, a little paint and it ought to go!

My Golden Hawk has gone from the mock-up stage to the 'plane-on-a-stick' stage.  We get some warmer weather in here like we're supposed to, it's gets it's first color coat!

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... 1_34

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... 3_18
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:10 pm

Kim wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:

The "fly by night" kit is a new one on me.  I did a lot of business with AHC years ago, but it was mostly model railroad stuff.  AHM by Rivarossi, switches, track etc..  

Oh yeah!  The FBN Kit was a highly technical device, comprised of an AA battery holder, a switch, wires, and two "pea lamps"...and weighed a ton when viewed by the victim plane.

The good thing was, it DID fit into my budget...

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Fly-by10

Oooh! I really WANT that airbrush you can power with a spare tire! I've got a BIG spare tire!

The Left Wanting Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:00 am

Well, I wasn’t going to post any photos of this until I’d finished it, as it’s so simple it doesn’t need a build thread.  When I was looking at ordering a couple of Musciano hollow log kits, I thought back to the American Boy that Walt designed.  I figured it wouldn’t take long to cut out the parts and glue it up.  To save time, I decided to use one of the plastic 1/2A engine mounts that I bought in bulk last year.  It took about an hour to cut everything out and get to the stage you see below.  The wing is just half of a sheet of SIG ¼”x 3” airfoil shaped balsa.   The plans call for a fuselage made from 3/16” sheet balsa, but all I had was ¼” so I used that.

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... DSCN3165_zpsdtycsoqh
Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... DSCN3164_zpsua1iafi9
Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... DSCN3162_zpsn9zwtmvl
Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... DSCN3171_zps5fnjuaiq

Including the expensive $3.99 motor mount, I figure the plane will cost about ten bucks to build and paint, not counting engine and handle/lines.

The American Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:54 am

Fly by night, got it.  Pea lamps replaced by LED's today.  Red-Right-Returning, one of the first things the Navy teaches you.  My Airfield B-25 has them.  

Nice built up balsa models.  I got out my Black Hawk Cyclone kit the other day with intents of building but completing these two Wen Mac Airacobras got in the way, and I have that King Cobra coming, another needy project.

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Two%20P-39s%20014_zpsfxgnreuj
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:30 am

batjac wrote:Well, I wasn’t going to post any photos of this until I’d finished it, as it’s so simple it doesn’t need a build thread.  When I was looking at ordering a couple of Musciano hollow log kits, I thought back to the American Boy that Walt designed.  I figured it wouldn’t take long to cut out the parts and glue it up.  To save time, I decided to use one of the plastic 1/2A engine mounts that I bought in bulk last year.  It took about an hour to cut everything out and get to the stage you see below.  The wing is just half of a sheet of SIG ¼”x 3” airfoil shaped balsa.   The plans call for a fuselage made from 3/16” sheet balsa, but all I had was ¼” so I used that.

Including the expensive $3.99 motor mount, I figure the plane will cost about ten bucks to build and paint, not counting engine and handle/lines.

The American Mark

Great! It's definitely gonna be a year for these! I THINK, but am not sure that American Boy was one of the earliest Scientific Kits. Gonna dig out some magazines after a bit more coffee....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:57 am

rsv1cox wrote:Fly by night, got it.  Pea lamps replaced by LED's today.  Red-Right-Returning, one of the first things the Navy teaches you.  My Airfield B-25 has them.  

Nice built up balsa models.  I got out my Black Hawk Cyclone kit the other day with intents of building but completing these two Wen Mac Airacobras got in the way, and I have that King Cobra coming, another needy project.

The Cobras are looking great!

I've been promised a 60 degree, sunny day on Wednesday, so there ought to be some paint hosing going on! Also gonna swing my the local cabinet shop and see if they'll let me rummage through their hardwood scrap bin again. Been having fun spinning down some hardwood wheels...trying to replicate the ones that came in the original Scientific Kits.

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... 4_18
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:44 am

batjac wrote:Well, I wasn’t going to post any photos of this until I’d finished it, as it’s so simple it doesn’t need a build thread.  When I was looking at ordering a couple of Musciano hollow log kits, I thought back to the American Boy that Walt designed.  I figured it wouldn’t take long to cut out the parts and glue it up.  To save time, I decided to use one of the plastic 1/2A engine mounts that I bought in bulk last year.  It took about an hour to cut everything out and get to the stage you see below.  The wing is just half of a sheet of SIG ¼”x 3” airfoil shaped balsa.   The plans call for a fuselage made from 3/16” sheet balsa, but all I had was ¼” so I used that.

The American Mark

American Boy looks like a simple and fun build, and I have some 6mm balsa and one of those Brodak engine mounts so I think I'll build one too. To my inexperienced eye the tail feathers look a bit small. How does the "Boy" handle in its standard form? Is it easy enough for a beginner or should I make the elevator bigger?

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:35 pm

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Ab210 Training sport and FUN is what it says .......... http://www.blackhawkmodels.com/amboy.html does look like it would bee easy enough and i would say the tail is right for it Babe Bee .049 Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:11 pm

I agree. I think a bigger elevator would make it too responsive for a beginner. It's surprising how little the elevator has to move for a quick turn. The Baby Flite Streak is a good example, narrow elevator with very little throw, and it loops like it wants to eat its tail.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:28 pm

Kim wrote:

I've been promised a 60 degree, sunny day on Wednesday, so there ought to be some paint hosing going on!  Also gonna swing my the local cabinet shop and see if they'll let me rummage through their hardwood scrap bin again.  Been having fun spinning down some hardwood wheels...trying to replicate the ones that came in the original Scientific Kits.

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... 4_18

Kim, A few weeks ago I stopped in to a store near me called "Wood Items and More".

http://www.wooditemsandmore.com/

The woman (co-owner) exclaimed that they make over 8000 different wood-turnings!

I bought some wheels that I thought I could use someday. The 1" dia. wheels were $.05/ea. and have center-punches on ea. side for accurate drilling of a hub.

Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Dsc02513
Feeling Very Scientific...or maybe 'Black Hawkísh'... Dsc02514

BTW.. the offer still stands on the hollow-log balsa-fuse stock that I mentioned earlier in the thread.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Brenda Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:36 pm

Roddie can you get her to list those wheels on their site? I would LOVE some in 1, 1.5 and 2in. Tired of Guillows plastic wheels on my 1/2a flyers
Brenda
Brenda
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:29 pm

Brenda wrote:Roddie can you get her to list those wheels on their site? I would LOVE some in 1, 1.5 and 2in. Tired of Guillows plastic wheels on my 1/2a flyers

Hi Brenda, I could give her a call and ask about it. They really are nice little wheels.. and would probably take/hold paint better than plastic ones would too. They'd really look sharp if the outer "tire-profile" was painted black.. and the inner wheel-portion, the color of the model's trim or base color.

There is also a link on the site to email her with inquiries.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:40 pm

Probably should send her a link to this thread. _Nice_ inexpensive wheels would be pretty awesome.  Is there a similar thread on Stunthanger?

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down