Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Another new addition Cox_ba12

Another new addition Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 1:04 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Another new addition Empty
Live on Patrol

Another new addition

Go down

Another new addition Empty Another new addition

Post  TDbandit Sat May 23, 2015 3:29 pm

Hey guys I got one for ya, I just acquired another bee today which I "Think" is a QZ without the muffler but not sure. It has a stamped #6 cylinder on it with the TD head which is right for the QZ and QRC as well as the proper backplate as far as I know. I got this engine for 5 bucks and is in great shape except for one "little detail" which is why I got it for 5 bucks The problem it has is something I've seen with the plastic backplates but I haven't seen happen yet with the metal backplates until now Shocked Observe the pics and you will see what I'm talking about
Another new addition Cox_qz10
Here it is looks about brand new except a few blemishes and some dirt.
Another new addition Cox_qz11
And now the problem, looks all nice until you look on the bottom left corner. Anyone have a BP laying around?
(Bandit)

Last edited by TDbandit on Sat May 23, 2015 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Another new addition Empty Re: Another new addition

Post  1/2A Nut Sat May 23, 2015 4:25 pm

Perhaps they ran a fuel line straight to the nipple inside the tank and had a 1oz tank behind the firewall.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sat May 23, 2015 5:50 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:Perhaps they ran a fuel line straight to the nipple inside the tank and had a 1oz tank behind the firewall.
That is possible didn't think of that but still to omit a screw would invite an air leak unless there is a short screw inside, I haven't disassembled the engine as of yet so I dunno. Going to rip er apart this evening to find out. (The bandit is curious)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Sat May 23, 2015 6:43 pm

I had one of my bee's do that years back. The screw busted through the plate. I have three cylinders like that but are all #3's. Great buy though, looks good!
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Sun May 24, 2015 4:12 pm

If it wasnt done for fuel line feed to the nipple you could opt to use it that way for more duration. Memorial Day
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon May 25, 2015 7:40 am

Also could be that someone overtightened, although usually there may be signs of distortion in the cast zinc back. Those backs aren't that strong. Personally I don't like that kind of situation as the tank is now only supported at 3 points at the reed valve. With all the vibration these Bee's receive, that puts stress on the other 3 screw locations and tank front.

You could put a slightly longer screw with flat washer, drill a dimple in the firewall to clear.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Mon May 25, 2015 8:45 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:Also could be that someone overtightened, although usually there may be signs of distortion in the cast zinc back. Those backs aren't that strong. Personally I don't like that kind of situation as the tank is now only supported at 3 points at the reed valve. With all the vibration these Bee's receive, that puts stress on the other 3 screw locations and tank front.

You could put a slightly longer screw with flat washer, drill a dimple in the firewall to clear.
That's what I think happened and I agree running a bee like this can distort the tank over time and can wallow out the screw holes I don't think it's had a lot of run time with the way it looks so I "Think" it will be ok but that's a maybe since I haven't pulled it apart yet due to other things going on and i haven't had time. Hopefully today I'll be able to get to it and find out what happened and check the tank face and resurface the back of the crank case (if needed) I'll take pics of my findings when I finely get it apart also I've got another BP coming so it's gonna be fixed properly so no need for a linger screw Smile (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Mon May 25, 2015 1:43 pm

Update on the QZ took it apart and inspected the internals and just as i though, it has Hardly had any run time at all and the Backplate is defently a pull through resulting from over tightening pics to follow.
Another new addition Qz_int10
As you can see inside the crankcase is almost spotless besides a little spec of debris which I think is from me there is about no residue from fuel or oil. I'm gonna pop the cylinder off and surface the back of the case it needs it btw.
Another new addition Qz_int11
It has the old copper reed and the thing is not even tarnished which leads me to believe that this engine might have never run and might have had a problem which lead to the pull through of the backplate previous owner might have been trying to seal a leak by tightening the tank screws and POP! by by backplate.
Another new addition Qz_int12
Now the innards of the tank, again looks brand new even the inside of the back plate is all nice and shiny could bounce a laser beam off of it the pickup tube is hardly yellow and is still somewhat flexible the venturi seal is in good shape too.
Another new addition Qz_int13
And now the backplate from the looks of the damage, it appears to have happened a while back with the corrosion around the break, it's a shame because this would of been a near perfect find if it weren't for this break Sad

(Bandit)

TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon May 25, 2015 6:55 pm

Bandit, I agree, it doesn't take much to dress the back of the crankcase with a file to remove thread burrs and unevenness.  Although not historic, but a new plastic back will restore it to functionality with the right needle valve. If not a collector item, that engine will fly again. Wink

Personally I'd rather see a flier than a collection. Flight is history in the making. Flying Thumbs Up
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Mon May 25, 2015 10:27 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Bandit, I agree, it doesn't take much to dress the back of the crankcase with a file to remove thread burrs and unevenness.  Although not historic, but a new plastic back will restore it to functionality with the right needle valve. If not a collector item, that engine will fly again. Wink

Personally I'd rather see a flier than a collection. Flight is history in the making. Flying Thumbs Up
I agree I like to see them fly too and I plan on installing the correct muffler so I can use it at the field closer to me which is a good bit noise sensitive and requires full mufflers with baffles or electric to fly there I just like keeping things original or close to original as i can I may upgrade the reed to Mylar too and keep the original may build another Skyray or build a baby ringmaster for it. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down