Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

WTT TD .049 parts for Medallion .049 parts Cox_ba12

WTT TD .049 parts for Medallion .049 parts Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 9:06 pm

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Today at 8:05 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 7:26 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Today at 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Today at 6:55 pm

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Today at 5:36 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Today at 3:38 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Today at 1:30 pm

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by GallopingGhostler Today at 11:34 am

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rdw777 Today at 9:17 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Today at 8:21 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

WTT TD .049 parts for Medallion .049 parts Empty
Live on Patrol

WTT TD .049 parts for Medallion .049 parts

Go down

Trade WTT TD .049 parts for Medallion .049 parts

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:54 pm

Guys,

I have enough TD's to last a lifetime, but only a couple Medallions. So instead of sourcing more engines I decided that I would like to just put Medallion Venturi/needle assy's on existing TD's

That said I would like to trade 2 good,complete TD venturi/needle assy's for Medallion Venturi NV assy's

I have other things to trade as well. Just post a message here or shoot me a PM.

Ron

Last edited by Cribbs74 on Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Trade Re: WTT TD .049 parts for Medallion .049 parts

Post  RknRusty Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:14 pm

Aw man, I typed a reply yesterday AM and must've forgot to send it.
I think your idea is great. I'd like to get my hands on a couple more of both engines. I'm interested to see how the TD/Med runs. I bet it's every bit as good as a full Tee Dee.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:12 pm

No worries Rusty, my intent is to have TD performance while still retaining the hard tank.

It may work it may not and I am sure performance will be hindered somewhat. I still find bladders somewhat fiddley and I hate when they burst. The one way valve you use sure makes it a whole lot easier though.

It's just something I want to try, doesn't look like anyone wants to give the Medallion assemblies up. Laughing
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:No worries Rusty, my intent is to have TD performance while still retaining the hard tank.

It may work it may not and I am sure performance will be hindered somewhat. I still find bladders somewhat fiddley and I hate when they burst. The one way valve you use sure makes it a whole lot easier though.

It's just something I want to try, doesn't look like anyone wants to give the Medallion assemblies up. Laughing

it swap my 15 madillion venturi bits for 15 td venturi bits
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:15 pm

Sorry, looking for .049 bits. I probably should have mentioned that.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Trade oh sorry

Post  cox24711 Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:26 pm

oh sorry
please could we do it any way? it will turn out the same wouldn't it?
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:10 am

Sorry, I am only wanting to convert a couple of .049 Medallions.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:04 pm

Ron, the Medallion carb bodies are still available. You could easily press out any horseshoe backplate spraybar and retrofit it to the Medallion body. This can be done with the standard 80 TPI needle or the 128 TPI. Tank design is mostly responsible for the fuel draw issues of a TD. One would think that trying to get a speed plane to go in circles should be very simple vs a stunter. Well I found this to be totally opposite. I could never get my TD's to function on a hard tank on a speed model. This was mainly due to the wedge tanks which place the pickup too far outboard. Moving the tank closer to the engine's centerline is a must. I've seen a few TD's perform well using the Medallion body. However, it's still going to run like a TD. If your looking for a more timid run, changing the crank and also the cylinder is needed. If fuel draw is your only issue with the TD, I would take a few venturi's and choke them down. I've seen this done very successfully using JB weld and then the center was drilled to the desired hole. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:28 pm

so Ken , pretty much the crank with the larger / longated hole for more fuel on the TD causes the fuel draw problems? Stuff , I need to reread the post as to what Ron is wanting to accomplish // better fuel draw with the same power? Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:12 pm

Eric, the TD has a large venturi. It really is borderline to run on suction. Yes, it will work, but you have to meet certain requirements to do so. Now you can run it on a bench all day long with any tank, the problem begins when you install it on the plane. A tank that's centralized directly behind the engine as in a full bodied plane runs the best compared to a profile with it's tank mounted outboard. Certain factors can improve the reliability of a TD such as a Uniflow tank. Most here run standard vent and this can also be improved upon by capping one of the vents during your run.

As far as power is concerened, the TD should run with a little less power due to the choke area being smaller hence the fact that it allows it to draw fuel better. The Medallion has it's spraybar running through the carb body. The TD is a sprinkler with no spraybar running through the venturi.

The solution to running a properly designed tank on a TD is having a tank long and thin. This is almost impossible to do with most of the models we see available without making modifications to the fuselage. The pickup of the tank shouldn't be any further outboard of the fuel barb of the TD spraybar. Most people choose the Perfect wedge tank. This has the fuel far too outboard which automatically places the engine in a lean running condition when the head pressure of the tank drops off. This means starting off very very rich and then when the fuel load disperses the engine will come on. Making a uniflow setup can assist in the engine run.

If your flying a wing for instance, you will find that quick maneuvers pin the fuel in areas inside the tank which makes the engine either quit or nearly quit. Putting the Medallion body on the TD in this regard will help solve a lot of those headaches due to an increase of fuel draw. The crank is pretty much irrelevant here I was just stating the differences.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Trade Medallion venturi red plastic

Post  happydad Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:09 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Sorry, I am only wanting to convert a couple  of .049 Medallions.

Ron: I thought I had mentioned to you before that I had purchased 10 of the Medallion .049 red plastic venturis on ebay last year. Cheaper by the dozen. I am ordering a couple of the spray bars from ESP and will pay in a couple of days, so that only leaves the needle assembly. Looks like someone needs to look into the suggestion of using a needle/spraybar assy. from the postage stamp mount or the horseshoe mount and see how they fit. Since I have a couple of cracked venturis it looks like it's me for now. Shoot me a PM with your input.

Happydad   I'm retired     RC Plane      I Love This Forum!
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Trade The Medallion spray bar opening is very large

Post  happydad Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:22 pm

Ken Cook wrote:              Ron, the Medallion carb bodies are still available. You could easily press out any horseshoe backplate spraybar and retrofit it to the Medallion body. This can be done with the standard 80 TPI needle or the 128 TPI. Tank design is mostly responsible for the fuel draw issues of a TD. One would think that trying to get a speed plane to go in circles should be very simple vs a stunter. Well I found this to be totally opposite. I could never get my TD's to function on a hard tank on a speed model. This was mainly due to the wedge tanks which place the pickup too far outboard. Moving the tank closer to the engine's centerline is a must.  I've seen a few TD's perform well using the Medallion body. However, it's still going to run like a TD. If your looking for a more timid run, changing the crank and also the cylinder is needed. If fuel draw is your only issue with the TD, I would take a few venturi's and choke them down. I've seen this done very successfully using JB weld and then the center was drilled to the desired hole. Ken
Ken: The Medallion spray bar hole is very large. about 1/8inch as a guess, and the horseshoe and postage stamp spray bar assemblies are only about 3/32inch as a guess. I haven't  had a chance to press out the spraybar from either one of those yet due to my limited ability at the present, but eyeballing it tells me the Medallion spray bar is a little larger. I was able to take a picture of the two side by side and I will enclose here. I haven't measured the two yet because I haven't disassembled my Medallion or pressed out either one of the other 2 mentioned. I have contacted ESP at his ebay site and reserved a couple of the spray bar assemblies, but that still leaves us without a needle assembly. I will also enclose a picture of several needles. From the right: babe bee, TD, Medallion, bent Medallion, Medallion?. Enjoy.

WTT TD .049 parts for Medallion .049 parts Img_0511

horseshoe back plate next to Medallion venturi

WTT TD .049 parts for Medallion .049 parts Img_0512

Misc.  Cox needles  medallion?, Medallion bent, Medallion, TD, babe bee.

happydad   I'm retired      RC Plane        I Love This Forum!
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:57 pm

Thanks HD,

Just let me know when you get everything squared away. I'd be happy to grab a couple. Thank you for helping me out!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Trade TD parts

Post  happydad Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:35 pm

ALL: BTW I have TD parts minus the crankcase.

1 - TD crankshaft
1 = TD venturi, needle, spraybar assy. (available as a set only)
1 - crankcase end cap
1 -    collet piece that holds venturi on front of crankcase, (forgot name)
1 - TD .049 cylinder/piston set

edited 6:20p.m. 8-22-15 = to correct list of parts
sorry I was unable to find the TD venture today. I may have traded it when I traded the TD/Medallion crankcase, (yes the .049 crankcase is used for both the TD .049 and Medallion .049 engines).
 Sorry for the mistake.      Blow up Mad!

HD  I'm retired   RC Plane        This Site Rocks!    Blow up Mad!

Last edited by happydad on Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to correct the list of parts)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Trade Cox Medallion venturi versus cox horse shoe spray bar

Post  happydad Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:43 pm

Well this should settle the issue of whether or not a Cox horse shoe spray bar will fit a Cox Medallion venturi.

WTT TD .049 parts for Medallion .049 parts Img_0513

As you can see from the picture the venturi measures 0.150 inch across the flat part of the venture spray bar opening, where the spray bar is round and measures 0.118 inch across the round part of the knurled portion of the spray bar, same on both ends.
Two Cents

happydad    I'm retired    RC Plane       I Love This Forum!       Blow up Mad! Flying a Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:39 am

VGE had these listed with an incorrect title but the photo and description were right. Maybe he has more

WTT TD .049 parts for Medallion .049 parts Vge_ti11

WTT TD .049 parts for Medallion .049 parts Vge2_t10
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:51 pm

happydad wrote:
I have contacted ESP at his ebay site and reserved a couple of the spray bar assemblies, but that still leaves us without a needle assembly.

I have used the needle from a product backplate in a Medallion .049.  The needle profile is slightly different, but it does work.  Maybe not optimally, but I guess you could play with the needle profile using some sandpaper and see what you get.

On another tack, if you have extra medallion bodies, you could take a spray bar from a product engine, or preferably a fine needle spray bar from a postage stamp backplate, and JB Weld it in the Medallion body. I think I'd go for the product needle, though.

The Substitution Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Trade Thanks

Post  happydad Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:29 pm

crankbndr wrote:VGE had these listed with an incorrect title but the photo and description were right. Maybe he has more

WTT TD .049 parts for Medallion .049 parts Vge_ti11

WTT TD .049 parts for Medallion .049 parts Vge2_t10

Thanks for the info.  A little on the expensive side. Bernie offered 3 other alternates which I will check out. Since the spray bars are currently available I would prefer to use a needle that fits instead of JB welding a smaller spray bar and using a different needle.
   Checking out the alternatives.

Happydad.  I'm retired.   RC Plane     I Love This Forum!    Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad!
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:39 pm

The spraybar will fit. It's not a direct replacement but a solution. Bush the spraybar to  make it fit or JB weld it in. Not pretty but it will work. I make bushings either from brass or aluminum which is directly available from K&S. When I find time I can get a little lathe time and make whatever I need as I do this for Norvel's and other engines.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Trade well here is the latest on the Medallion Venturi -spray bar-needle situation

Post  happydad Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:18 pm

After purchasing several Medallion .049 spray bars and needles I have assembled 4 assemblies.

for some reason this MacBook cannot "host" a picture or the picture is too large, 2.6MB.
I will edit this post in a few minutes from a PC after I transfer a bunch of pictures from this MacBook the the PC.

sorry  happydad

edit 5:46p.m. 8-28-2015 - to hopefully add pictures from a PC

same issue. maybe later
8-29-15 3:23p.m.

WTT TD .049 parts for Medallion .049 parts Img_0712
Venturi assembly

WTT TD .049 parts for Medallion .049 parts Img_0713
Parts of Venturi assembly

It is easy to upload pics when it works.  HD

happydad  I'm still retired   RC Plane     Blow up Mad!  Blow up Mad!  Blow up Mad!  Blow up Mad!  Blow up Mad!  Blow up Mad!

Last edited by happydad on Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:26 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : to add pictures to really add the pics)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:35 pm

I wonder if a Tee Dee assembly would draw fuel better if you filled the gutter around the base of the venturi with JB Weld, plugging two of the sprinkler holes, then enlarging the remaining hole to a little larger than the spray hole of the needle assembly. Line the two holes up when you tighten the venturi... may require some sanding of the boss on the carb body to get them to align when it tightens. And for the same reason, leave a little of the gutter on each side of the venturi inlet.

This would keep it from drawing mostly from one hole, while cavitating around the others.
Just pondering, I've never heard of it being done or suggested.
Wow, did I actually think up a good idea that the top engine guys haven't tried?
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Trade Medallion .049 venturi-spray bar-needle assemblies

Post  happydad Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:24 am

RknRusty wrote:I wonder if a Tee Dee assembly would draw fuel better if you filled the gutter around the base of the venturi with JB Weld, plugging two of the sprinkler holes, then enlarging the remaining hole to a little larger than the spray hole of the needle assembly. Line the two holes up when you tighten the venturi... may require some sanding of the boss on the carb body to get them to align when it tightens. And for the same reason, leave a little of the gutter on each side of the venturi inlet.

This would keep it from drawing mostly from one hole, while cavitating around the others.
Just pondering, I've never heard of it being done or suggested.
Wow, did I actually think up a good idea that the top engine guys haven't tried?
Rusty

Rusty: I have received all the parts from Matt our Cox parts good guy, (+10), and have put together 3 Medallion .049 venturi-spray bar-needle assemblies. and took a picture of the assembly and the parts that make up the assembly. Sometime today, Saturday I will figure out how to post pictures using the postimage.com system and add to this thread those pictures. I'm not sure if I will sell the assemblies on ebay or offer them to CEF members first. Ron Cribbs and I sort of kicked around the idea for a while so I am waiting for his comments before I proceed. The only difference is the needle used is not the original Medallion .049 needle since the only 1 I have found is selling for $16.00 plus shipping, (approx.), and I am using a needle that Bernie suggested. It is the long brass needle from the product engines. I felt the long needle could always be shortened if users felt it was too long, but not visa-versa.

happydad  I'm just plain hot and old tired  Hot 102degrees today here   Sleeping at Computer   Blow up Mad!  Fireworks

happydad
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:41 am

JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:45 am

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Trade seriously it is true the numbers are getting smaller

Post  happydad Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:21 pm

RknRusty wrote:
There ya go. Get 'em while the gettn's good.

it is true the availability of the spray bar is becoming limited. I just purchased 4 from ESP and I am not sure how many he and coxengines.ca have left. Maybe Bernie will find a stash in his new find. The parts in question are the Medallion venturi and the needle. Bernie has suggested using the product engine short or long brass needle and they seem to work fine. I have a few of the red plastic .049 venture I purchased about 2 years ago.

WTT TD .049 parts for Medallion .049 parts Img_0710
venturi-spray bar-needle assembly

WTT TD .049 parts for Medallion .049 parts Img_0711
parts of assembly

See other comments on availability above.

happydad  I'm still retired  RC Plane   still confused about Cox twin engines?? Head Bang Head Bang  but having fun Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad!
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down