Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

From the good old days  May 1954 Flying Models Cox_ba12

From the good old days  May 1954 Flying Models Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by MauricioB Today at 12:37 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:32 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

From the good old days  May 1954 Flying Models Empty
Live on Patrol

From the good old days May 1954 Flying Models

Go down

From the good old days  May 1954 Flying Models Empty From the good old days May 1954 Flying Models

Post  GWILLIEFOX Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:44 pm

This entire issue was a comic book format. It used special advertisements and all. Stuff to inspire model building boys like the excerpt from the story about getting serum across a river. Also the introduction of the 049B.

From the good old days  May 1954 Flying Models Fm_05510

From the good old days  May 1954 Flying Models Fm_may10
GWILLIEFOX
GWILLIEFOX
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

From the good old days  May 1954 Flying Models Empty Re: From the good old days May 1954 Flying Models

Post  RknRusty Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:54 pm

I love it. Advertisements for the not-so-short attention spanned. Now I gotta know, did they retrieve the serum? Did the plane fly away into the night? Had they metered their fuel to run out before it's too far gone? How am I ever going to be able to sleep tonight! Please don't make me wait for next month's ad.
Frantic and worried Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

From the good old days  May 1954 Flying Models Empty Re: From the good old days May 1954 Flying Models

Post  GWILLIEFOX Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:32 pm

now you'll be able to sleep tonight

From the good old days  May 1954 Flying Models Fm_05511
GWILLIEFOX
GWILLIEFOX
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

From the good old days  May 1954 Flying Models Empty thats cool

Post  cox24711 Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:16 am

what is the comic book called ?
i like it !

Greg Very Happy
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gossie Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:30 am

cox24711 wrote:what is the comic book called ?
i like it !

Greg Very Happy

May 1954 Flying Models magazine.

(Col may have some old ones he MIGHT? show you.)
gossie
gossie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:38 am

how was the control line week end?
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:02 am

Thanks Bill, I slept like a rock.
Machines of interest back then were "Jobs." How our slang changes over generations.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  stuntflyr Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:19 pm

My Dad said "ships", Stunt ships, Combat ships.
Chris...
stuntflyr
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gossie Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:57 pm

cox24711 wrote:how was the control line week end?

Yes good. Had a big crowd turn up to fly all sorts of things, including a Hobby Craft replica Dynajet.........VERY noisy.

Col might bring you down next year???????? It will be on the first weekend of July 2016 when the sensational Sawtell (Do a Google on Sawtell) chilli festival is on, on the Saturday.
gossie
gossie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:32 pm

gossie wrote:

Yes good.   Had a big crowd turn up to fly all sorts of things, including a Hobby Craft replica Dynajet.........VERY noisy.

Col might bring you down next year????????   It will be on the first weekend of July 2016 when the sensational Sawtell (Do a Google on Sawtell) chilli festival is on, on the Saturday.

i am still waiting for my first cl model to arrive!
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:37 pm

also i am getting ready to get the glider going and the ministick and to get my SILVER WINGS before i do any of that! Warm and it is the end of the school holidays NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMMIT! DAMMIT! DAMMIT! No No No! Devil Thumbs Down Sad Goodbye So i think il get my text books out again ehy Neutral
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gossie Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:51 pm

cox24711 wrote:
gossie wrote:

Yes good.   Had a big crowd turn up to fly all sorts of things, including a Hobby Craft replica Dynajet.........VERY noisy.

Col might bring you down next year????????   It will be on the first weekend of July 2016 when the sensational Sawtell (Do a Google on Sawtell) chilli festival is on, on the Saturday.

You need to build something from a plan. I'm sure Col will set you up with a plan and suggestions.
Don't be a RTF or ARTF person.
gossie
gossie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:08 pm

stuntflyr wrote:My Dad said "ships", Stunt ships, Combat ships.
Chris...
I like "Ships" and have started using it for larger models. Maybe it will catch on again.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:18 pm

gossie wrote:
cox24711 wrote:
gossie wrote:

You need to build something from a plan.  I'm sure Col will set you up with a plan and suggestions.
Don't be a RTF or ARTF person.

no way i built my 2 meter glider from scratch from no plans i just built and made wate looked right you know and it took me 2 years to get up to where a i am whitch is waiting for the $50 cox 15 medallion 15 never run never mounted engine to arrive!
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:30 pm

plus you can't get plans for 1/2a walt musciano planes because they are from kits that already have the parts built and they are just instructions on how to put them together well that is what col said to me so i found out this site called BLACK HAWK MODELS and i couldn't decide between the golden hawk and the raven so i did Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,Catch a tiger by the toe.If he hollers, let him go,Eeny, meeny, miny, moe. so it was the raven and there we have it!
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:07 am

Hey Greg, while you wait you could build a simple profile plane, you'll get it done in a week. For a plane suitable for your Black Widow or such, you,ll only need a sheet of 6mm balsa for the wing and fuselage, some 3mm balsa for tailfeathers plus some plywood scraps. You can make the bellcrank from plywood if there is none available near by.

Check out my build thread, these two planes took me a few months but then again I didn't work on them full time, only a few hours every now and then.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7820-scorpion-simple-trainer-build

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:34 am

[quote="KariFS"]Hey Greg, while you wait you could build a simple profile plane, you'll get it done in a week. For a plane suitable for your Black Widow or such, you,ll only need a sheet of 6mm balsa for the wing and fuselage, some 3mm balsa for tailfeathers plus some plywood scraps. You can make the bellcrank from plywood if there is none available near by.

Check out my build thread, these two planes took me a few months but then again I didn't work on them full time, only a few hours every now and then.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t7820-scorpion-simple-trainer-build

thanks i shall go to bunning and get some blasa wood from bunnings warehouse you know big wharehouses full of wood and lawn mowers and stuff
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:59 am

What? Around your neck of the woods you can get balsa at lumber yard?

OK, nevermind the left side traffic, I'll pack my stuff and move lol!

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:56 am

KariFS wrote:What? Around your neck of the woods you can get balsa at lumber yard?

I was really surprised. I also found that the local Bunnings Warehouse (a large hardware and bulding supplies chain, much like Masters in the US) has a large assortment of balsa, but it's mainly aimed at the craft market and I think it's probably a little soft for some aircraft applications. They have all shapes of sticks and sections, but i didn't notice any leading and trailing edge profiles. It seems pretty consitent quality though, so I have used it. Hobby shops are pretty hard to find in regional areas here in Victoria. The nearest one to me is over 1/2 an hour's drive away and has a pretty good selection of building supplies, but is only aimed at R/C and has no C/L supplies at all. Not one kit! As a kid I used to look forward to trip into the larger towns with my mum and all they had was rubber powered and Control line kits. I think the current shop keepers would look at you dumb if you mentioned rubber power.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:25 am

cox24711 wrote:plus you can't get plans for 1/2a walt musciano  planes because they are from kits that already have the parts built and they are just instructions on how to put them together well that is what col said to me so i found out this site called BLACK HAWK MODELS and i couldn't decide between the golden hawk and the raven so i did Eeny, meeny, miny, moe,Catch a tiger by the toe.If he hollers, let him go,Eeny, meeny, miny, moe. so it was the raven and there we have it!

It's a shame Black Hawk models is closing. He is retiring and nobody will buy his business. Order a couple kits, Trace all the parts!

If you are poling around Outerzone the "American boy" has tracings of the parts. I have one of Blackhawk's "army scout" which is a stretched version to trace.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:03 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:
 Hobby shops are pretty hard to find in regional areas here in Victoria.  The nearest one to me is over 1/2 an hour's drive away and has a pretty good selection of building supplies, but is only aimed at R/C and has no C/L supplies at all.  Not one kit!  As a kid I used to look forward to trip into the larger towns with my mum and all they had was rubber powered and Control line kits.  I think the current shop keepers would look at you dumb if you mentioned rubber power.

Same here, practically no hobby shop "network" to speak of. Fortunately I live about 40 minutes away from the 2nd biggest town in Finland, and there's one (!) hobby shop. They have been there for ever, well since the 70's anyway. They stock a lot of plastic model supplies and kits, and on the other hand a lot of "artsy-crafty" stuff. Not many flying model kits. But they do have a box of balsa by the door and some piano wire, brass and aluminum, etc. No fuelproof paint, silk, dope or even plastic coverings, or any CL stuff (I bought the last reel of steel control cable a couple months ago).I don't know if they ever re-stock that balsa box either, but it's good Graupner branded stuff, and not expensive. I guess I'll need to buy enough balsa to last me a few decades while I can  Huh...
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:22 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:
KariFS wrote:What? Around your neck of the woods you can get balsa at lumber yard?

I was really surprised.  I also found that the local Bunnings Warehouse (a large hardware and bulding supplies chain, much like Masters in the US) has a large assortment of balsa, but it's mainly aimed at the craft market and I think it's probably a little soft for some aircraft applications.  They have all shapes of sticks and sections, but i didn't notice any leading and trailing edge profiles.  It seems pretty consitent quality though, so I have used it.  Hobby shops are pretty hard to find in regional areas here in Victoria.  The nearest one to me is over 1/2 an hour's drive away and has a pretty good selection of building supplies, but is only aimed at R/C and has no C/L supplies at all.  Not one kit!  As a kid I used to look forward to trip into the larger towns with my mum and all they had was rubber powered and Control line kits.  I think the current shop keepers would look at you dumb if you mentioned rubber power.

yeah bunning is round about 1/2 an hour away and the hobby shop is also round the corner of the bunnings warehouse bunnings is way cheaper the hobby shop is double the price and they don't stock very much blasa at all so usually go to bunnings
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:25 pm

cox24711 wrote:
Oldenginerod wrote:

I was really surprised.  I also found that the local Bunnings Warehouse (a large hardware and bulding supplies chain, much like Masters in the US) has a large assortment of balsa, but it's mainly aimed at the craft market and I think it's probably a little soft for some aircraft applications.  They have all shapes of sticks and sections, but i didn't notice any leading and trailing edge profiles.  It seems pretty consitent quality though, so I have used it.  Hobby shops are pretty hard to find in regional areas here in Victoria.  The nearest one to me is over 1/2 an hour's drive away and has a pretty good selection of building supplies, but is only aimed at R/C and has no C/L supplies at all.  Not one kit!  As a kid I used to look forward to trip into the larger towns with my mum and all they had was rubber powered and Control line kits.  I think the current shop keepers would look at you dumb if you mentioned rubber power.

yeah bunning is round about 1/2 an hour away and the hobby shop is also round the corner of the bunnings warehouse bunnings is way cheaper the hobby shop is double the price and they don't stock very much blasa at all so usually go to bunnings

also a have some dope and thin it out to about 50/50 and put it on the balsa and then i do a 75/25 mix and then paint or cover
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:24 am

WOW this thread went south ,, Thanks Bill enjoyed the comic from back in the day I was surprised it was rubber at the end but caught the will buy (nitro) gas for my next airplane Laughing Laughing Yea ! the good old days >>>> now the RAT race Mad I remember the days of air ships RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down