Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Flight Video -- P-40 Flying Tiger w/Evo 36 Cox_ba12

Flight Video -- P-40 Flying Tiger w/Evo 36 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by 944_Jim Today at 11:01 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 10:12 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by rdw777 Today at 8:06 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 7:00 pm

» World's largest weathervane
by Cox International Yesterday at 5:51 pm

» Here we go again... another Lawn-Boy
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Norvel Needle Needed
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:02 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 08, 2024 11:41 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Wed May 08, 2024 7:04 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by HalfaDave Wed May 08, 2024 6:55 pm

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by rdw777 Wed May 08, 2024 1:30 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Wed May 08, 2024 8:21 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Flight Video -- P-40 Flying Tiger w/Evo 36 Empty
Live on Patrol

Flight Video -- P-40 Flying Tiger w/Evo 36

Go down

Flight Video -- P-40 Flying Tiger w/Evo 36 Empty Flight Video -- P-40 Flying Tiger w/Evo 36

Post  larrys4227 Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:59 am

Again, please pardon the video ..... my grandson was great with the first video, and I was anxious to try with the P-40.  He was great again.

Brodak P-40 Flying Tiger ARF with Evo 36.  60foot lines and BYO 11x4 wide.

I'm a sport flier at heart .... try not to be too critical of my stunts. Sad    I know they are not contest-good, but I have a ton of fun being on the end of the handle. Very Happy   I love control line flying .... Cool

Couple pics .... ready to go ....

Flight Video -- P-40 Flying Tiger w/Evo 36 Large

Flight Video -- P-40 Flying Tiger w/Evo 36 Large

And heres the video ..... !!!!

Last edited by larrys4227 on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Flight Video -- P-40 Flying Tiger w/Evo 36 Empty Re: Flight Video -- P-40 Flying Tiger w/Evo 36

Post  akjgardner Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:10 am

thanks for posting that. enjoyed watching the p 40 and the lil' satan
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Flight Video -- P-40 Flying Tiger w/Evo 36 Empty Re: Flight Video -- P-40 Flying Tiger w/Evo 36

Post  getback Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:57 am

Another Great flight ,Cool , Larry what line length were you using on the Lil satin ? they looked to be about as long as the P40 's . Looks like you had a good time . That engine had a nice realistic sound fist time I have heard one run . getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:13 pm

Line length on the Satan is 42feet .... P-40 is 60feet. I have 3 Evo36's. 2 are in planes, and I really like them. They love to run medium venturi with an OS needle and 11x4 prop. It's essential to get rid of the remote needle. They run terrible with it.

The 3rd Evo36 is for a Prowler still being built on my bench.
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:28 pm

Larry, the Brodak P-40 ARF is in my opinion the best flying profile out there. Combine it with a good powerplant and you have a serious competitor. You did just that. The LA's and FP's seem to be the staple engine for the P-40. That being said, the EVO in my opinion is the best not only for cost, but in power for the ARF. Big "ART" Adamisin and his sons had a lot of input into the development of that engine. The engine made it's debut and flopped miserably automatically achieving a poor reputation. I scrubbed all the myths and purchased one for myself. Awesome engine but as you mentioned the needle valve was most problematic and the venturi sizes in my opinion were too large. Jim Lee from Lee machine shop makes two style venturi and needle assemblies for that engine. One of my flying partners had Jim machine the venturi to utilize the pinch bolt hole for the spraybar assembly. Jim's Teflon bushing fits directly into the case and a Randy Smith needle follows suit to make a very sweet running machine. This assembly though adds approx $45 onto the $80 the engine costs. A beautiful running engine and in your situation a perfect combo.

The ARF P-40 is tail heavy even with a LA -46. The Evo is slightly heavier and this makes your combination perfect. One thing I found with the EVO is that lower the oil content is with the engine, the better it runs. I also have seen this engine used well in speed limit combat. Unfortunately, Horizon Hobby has had the EVO .36 out of stock for almost a year. They discontinued the >60 which I also own which is a sweetheart of an engine. I see the .36 not far behind in terms of the chopping block. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:43 pm

Very nice flight man! I was eyeing the P-40 now I wish I got it, still may once i get myself stunting!
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:21 am

Ken Cook wrote:Larry, the Brodak P-40 ARF is in my opinion the best flying profile out there.

Hey Ken --- I agree .... its a really smooth flying plane. My 38-Special (w/Evo36 as well) is a close second.

I'm actually lucky to still have the P-40. A few weeks ago, the forward leadout, right at the bellcrank, let go. I was able to save it with nothing more than a bent landing gear and broken prop. Course, I had to cut into the top of the wing to fix it .... so, it does have a battle scar to remind me.

I've thought about making improvements to the Evo's, but I've always been happy with what I have. Soooo .... why mess with a good thing, eh?? Smile The only negative I can complain about .... when its really hot outside, the Evo's tend to sag towards the end of the flight. In the video above, it did sag alittle, but you can't tell by watching. It was really warm yesterday .... about 95F

I do run 22% oil ... just for some added cooling effect, but to be honest, when I run regular 18% oil right out of the jug .... I notice no difference.

It really is a great engine by making some simply improvements. Cool
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:13 am

Your more than likely retaining too much heat using the stock tube muffler. The tongue muffler would stop that. I opened up the holes in the stock muffler to 7/64". In addition, many times when hot, the engine needs to be leaned up for power. As a result towards the end, the engine is starving for fuel which will immediately cause sagging. I would shim the rear of your tank outboard 1/8". Sweeping your leadouts forward a little at a time will also keep your fuel pickup tangent to the circle increasing the chances of your pickup being constantly submerged until the end. It sounds as though the fuel is getting pinned and as a result the engine is going over lean. Both options are easily reversible and worth a quick try. The culprit here however sounds to be overheating towards the end of the flight due to that muffler retaining heat. While the 11x4 is working on the cooler days, a APC 10.5x4.5 might be a solution for the dreaded heat days using the setup you currently have. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down