Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

***The World's Smallest Traveling Engine*** SIGN UP! - Page 8 Cox_ba12

***The World's Smallest Traveling Engine*** SIGN UP! - Page 8 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by rsv1cox Today at 7:04 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by getback Today at 6:43 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

***The World's Smallest Traveling Engine*** SIGN UP! - Page 8 Empty
Live on Patrol

***The World's Smallest Traveling Engine*** SIGN UP!

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

TD 010 Re: ***The World's Smallest Traveling Engine*** SIGN UP!

Post  balogh Sat May 09, 2020 3:34 pm

There is an application called RPM Gauge for audio taching by android phones. I ran your vid on my phone on a split screen with RPM on the other half of the screen, measuring the engine speed by the sound it emits. I made a screenshot on the split screen and that was it.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun May 10, 2020 4:27 am

Looks like you guys had some fun running and playing with the TD.010 she is a jewel , it could have flown a bigger plane (( man that thing is small )) lol! lol! I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  modelbuilder49 Sun May 10, 2020 2:09 pm

balogh wrote:There is an application called RPM Gauge for audio taching by android phones. I ran your vid on my phone on a split screen with RPM  on the other half of the screen, measuring the engine speed by the sound it emits. I made a screenshot on the split screen and that was it.
Oh, okay! I'll see if I can find it and give it a try.

Jim
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  modelbuilder49 Sun May 10, 2020 2:30 pm

getback wrote:Looks like you guys had some fun running and playing with the TD.010 she is a jewel , it could have flown a bigger plane (( man that thing is small ))  lol! lol! I Love This Forum!
Laughing Laughing  Yeah, you're probably right!!  But man, it was fun!  I still haven't figured out what we were doing wrong with the tether  Huh...  Huh...   I tried just spinning it around me without the engine running, gradually letting out more and more line to the 15 foot limit and it seemed to be balanced just right.  The spin test can be seen here: https://youtu.be/44Em1XJpM7c.  However, under power it just didn't get off the ground as I've watched in other tethered flights on You Tube.

In my heart, I would have loved to try it on the free flight but I just didn't want to have to climb no tall pines so that would have to wait for a nice calm morning.  And it was just too windy to try it on control lines even the 20 footers.  Heck, if the "big boys won't risk their 35's and 40's, I'm sure not going to risk an engine that doesn't belong to me Doh! !! Laughing Laughing   Nevertheless I am so grateful for the opportunity  Clapping  Clapping

Jim

Last edited by modelbuilder49 on Sun May 10, 2020 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

TD 010 tether flying

Post  jmendoza Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:14 pm

My dad gave me a Cox TD .010 for Xmas 1969. I wore it out flying tether, put several quarts of fuel through it. I rebuilt it with a new cylinder and flew it for years on an Ace Guppy with pulse ruddder only.

Rule #1, No wind for tether flying. You have no elevator so the plane will climb going upwind and dive going down wind. If there is any appreciable wind, it will climb too much and then dive into the ground on the downwind.

The Delta you have just need more speed to get stable and airborne, so try something that does not need to fly so fast for starters.

The Guillows 500 series WW2 kits are made for rubber, or tether flying with a TD -010.

Build a small sheet balsa plane with about a 10 to 14 inch span wing 2 inch chord max, and a conventional tail with a generous rudder set to turn outwards. No incidence, no dihedral. Tether attaches to the leading edge at the tip. C/G should be 1/4" aft of leading edge. Attach the line to a 3 foot long 3/8" diameter hardwood dowel so you can whip the plane. Use Spectra line, the lightest test you can buy at the sporting goods store. Put a dime on the underside of the outboard wing tip.

Have your helped launch the plane over grass and be prepared to walk quickly to your left and take a few steps back to get line tension. Pick a calm day, morning is best.
jmendoza
jmendoza
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8