Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Wanted: Metal backplate for Black Widow or Golden bee. Ventless Cox_ba12

Wanted: Metal backplate for Black Widow or Golden bee. Ventless Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Tired of it all…
by Ken Cook Today at 8:04 am

» PT-19 Mayhem at Buder Park...a Decade Ago!!!!
by Kim Today at 7:41 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:46 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by balogh Today at 12:34 am

» Joe Wagners Sioux
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 9:03 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by getback Yesterday at 7:31 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:16 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:20 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Wanted: Metal backplate for Black Widow or Golden bee. Ventless Empty
Live on Patrol

Wanted: Metal backplate for Black Widow or Golden bee. Ventless

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wanted: Metal backplate for Black Widow or Golden bee. Ventless Empty Wanted: Metal backplate for Black Widow or Golden bee. Ventless

Post  RknRusty Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:09 pm

I'm looking for the ones with no vents or fuel nipples.
I hate the plastic ones that come on the Black Widows since the '80s. A plate from a from a Golden Bee would work, just have to open up the air intake a bit larger. Come to think of it I'd like to have a Golden Bee.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Wanted: Metal backplate for Black Widow or Golden bee. Ventless Empty Re: Wanted: Metal backplate for Black Widow or Golden bee. Ventless

Post  GermanBeez Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:15 pm

matt had one:
http://www.exmodelengines.com/product.php?productid=17783&cat=269&page=3
i've never seen just the back plates on ebay...i guess you'd have to buy a pre 1983 black widow like
mine.
here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Cox-049-black-Widow-Model-Airplane-gas-Engine-/230659058306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b459ea82
not the original cylinder and spinner, but otherwise its nice.

GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Wanted: Metal backplate for Black Widow or Golden bee. Ventless Empty Re: Wanted: Metal backplate for Black Widow or Golden bee. Ventless

Post  RknRusty Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:49 pm

GermanBeez wrote:matt had one:
http://www.exmodelengines.com/product.php?productid=17783&cat=269&page=3
i've never seen just the back plates on ebay...i guess you'd have to buy a pre 1983 black widow like
mine.
here's one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Cox-049-black-Widow-Model-Airplane-gas-Engine-/230659058306?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b459ea82
not the original cylinder and spinner, but otherwise its nice.
A pre-'83 with slit exhaust. But if the price doesn't go up much it will be worth it. Thanks GB.

EDIT: That one sold, but here's an even better one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Cox-049-Model-Airplane-Engine-/110730402571?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.OPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D230659058306%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2093532360931340903.

The guy may not know what he has. Unfortunately I have to wait until payday in 2 weeks to buy any cool stuff.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:34 am

oh boy, i know how that sucks...
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  EXModelEngines Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:20 pm

I still have one or two refurbished ones that are not up on the website.

If your still interested, send me an email sales@exmodelengines.com

Matt
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:44 pm

May I ask why you dislike the plastic backs? They have always worked fine for me.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:10 pm

many associate the plastic back plate with the *st*s era of cox, low quality, and cheapy production.
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Oops, double post.

Last edited by RknRusty on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:46 pm

microflitedude wrote:May I ask why you dislike the plastic backs? They have always worked fine for me.
Three I've bought at different times had problems. One with a spraybar that had something blocking it so it wouldn't seat all the way. Another brand new one was clogged and had zero flow through the fuel nipple. On my first 1993 BW the recess where the crankcase screw tightens cracked. I found it when the new engine wouldn't run after a crash. I had never opened it, so if it was over torqued, it was at the factory. Other than that, they work great.

GermanBeez wrote:many associate the plastic back plate with the *st*s era of cox, low quality, and cheapy production.
And then there's that.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:29 pm

Yeah they do, I personally like the metal backplates more then the plastic but I wouldn't replace a plastic one with a metal one if the engine was originally made with the plastic one. Like on my 1990 Black Widow, it came with a plastic backplate, its keeping its plastic backplate. Now if you are talking about a project engine, I would use metal unless you want to cut down on weight.
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:41 pm

RknRusty wrote:
microflitedude wrote:May I ask why you dislike the plastic backs? They have always worked fine for me.
Three I've bought at different times had problems. One with a spraybar that had something blocking it so it wouldn't seat all the way. Another brand new one was clogged and had zero flow through the fuel nipple. On my first 1993 BW the recess where the crankcase screw tightens cracked. I found it when the new engine wouldn't run after a crash. I had never opened it, so if it was over torqued, it was at the factory. Other than that, they work great.

GermanBeez wrote:many associate the plastic back plate with the *st*s era of cox, low quality, and cheapy production.
And then there's that.

the plastic do not survive worth the @#%& in a crash. just about every time I would crash or make a hard landing, a lug would break off or it would crack around the screws like you said.
Carl
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:46 am

I found that with a pee wee the lugs break off way too easily and they are metal

Last edited by nitroairplane on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:25 am

Too many mixed opinions! Shocked

I went into a WOT dive from about 50' the other week and it didn't put a scratch on the motor.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  EXModelEngines Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:42 am

Some of the older metal backplates become brittle with age, and are prone to breaking. Overall, they are a little stronger in my opinion.

The plastic ones tend to break more if you tighten the lugs down too much, especially if there is a crash.

Matt
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:01 am

nitroairplane wrote:I found that wiu a pee wee the lugs break off way too easily and they are metal

over my years i believe i broke three 020 plates, but in those days you could just send for a new backplate. the fuel filler tubes and the lugs on the 020 plate break off really easy.
Carl
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Wanted: Metal backplate for Black Widow or Golden bee. Ventless Empty backplates

Post  dankar04 Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:47 pm

If you fly RC/UC using engines like TD .049's TD .020's with sepeate fuel tanks yeilds much better results. Black Widows on UC don't have enough capacity 8cc, thats less than 1/2Oz. For glider motor fine. Even sure starts are easier to set up. Where do I put fuel tank?? Hey you are a model builder make room. Even a pen bladder will work and location is not a problem. Tanked engines are prone to leak even if you are careful. I like PeeWee's but are fragile. TD .020 great little engine and in my book was the best of the series. The TD .09 another great engine as the TD .049. Babe Bee with small tank is almost useless unless you like a very short flight. I like all Cox engines and use what you have but a good 1 oz. tank will give you good flying time.
Dan Flying
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:02 pm

dankar04 wrote: If you fly RC/UC using engines like TD .049's TD .020's with sepeate fuel tanks yeilds much better results. Black Widows on UC don't have enough capacity 8cc, thats less than 1/2Oz. For glider motor fine. Even sure starts are easier to set up. Where do I put fuel tank?? Hey you are a model builder make room. Even a pen bladder will work and location is not a problem. Tanked engines are prone to leak even if you are careful. I like PeeWee's but are fragile. TD .020 great little engine and in my book was the best of the series. The TD .09 another great engine as the TD .049. Babe Bee with small tank is almost useless unless you like a very short flight. I like all Cox engines and use what you have but a good 1 oz. tank will give you good flying time.
Dan Flying
I too am a massive fan of the tee dee .020 but I prefer the .010
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:32 am

microflitedude wrote:Too many mixed opinions! Shocked

I went into a WOT dive from about 50' the other week and it didn't put a scratch on the motor.

You must have been flying a "pusher". lol! lol! lol!

SuperDave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:15 am

SuperDave wrote:

SuperDave

Or a jet. Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ekitten2 Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:15 am

i have in my bag of junk old metal back plates both with or with out fuel nips if interested email me here ..gazza
ekitten2
ekitten2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:48 am

SuperDave wrote:

SuperDave

Nope. Wink Super cub. In fact, the only damage was the cowl shook loose a little and the wing folding...

These things are awesome. Laughing My friend was telling me how their efficiency was oh so low and the weren't good for much. Popcorn
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:48 am

microflitedude wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

SuperDave

Nope. Wink Super cub. In fact, the only damage was the cowl shook loose a little and the wing folding...

These things are awesome. Laughing My friend was telling me how their efficiency was oh so low and the weren't good for much. Popcorn

Your friend is very wrong No
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:45 am

ekitten2 wrote:i have in my bag of junk old metal back plates both with or with out fuel nips if interested email me here ..gazza
Hi ekitten. I actually got what I needed a couple of days ago, but thanks anyway. I would have closed the thread but people were having fun hijacking it, so I left it open. Smile

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:50 am

nitroairplane wrote:

Yep. He's got lots of fuel planes, but I've never seen him fly anything but electrics.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:56 am

microflitedude wrote:
nitroairplane wrote:

Yep. He's got lots of fuel planes, but I've never seen him fly anything but electrics.

Yep I have a few like that I go over for dinner and he has Pitts biplanes in his workshop hanging from the ceiling then I said oh I never knew you flew rc he said why dont we fly one day and then the next week we went to the field and he brough of all planes the parkzone cub and mustang?
I mean why when you have a lovely pitts.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next