Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Cox_ba12

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by Admin Today at 10:31 am

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by rsv1cox Today at 7:41 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Empty
Live on Patrol

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Empty Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel

Post  Aero Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:10 pm

Hey everyone!

I am looking for a small prop. Wood is preferred, but plastic would be OK.

Here is the story. My employer is a bit eccentric when it comes to engines. He has quite a collection. He is one of those kind of people that has pretty much everything, so, the office manager comes to me for advice on and "interesting" Christmas gift. Why she puts me and "interesting" together I just don't know.  What?

So, I know he has a Valentine engine, so I thought it would be a nice idea to make a display for it. He has it in a baby food jar right now. I did say eccentric didn't I?
I'm going to make a mount for it and put it in a small display case with a a brass tag describing the engine, but, it needs a prop to look right in my opinion.

Anybody have a prop that would work that maybe I could buy, or can someone point me in the right direction to find one?

You can see the ruler in the pic to get an idea of the size of the engine.
The back-plate diameter measures .298" and the shoulder the prop would ride on measures .119".

The other suggestion the office manager had was for me to build a small profile C/L plane to mount it on......... Huh...

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel <a href=Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Valent10" />

Last edited by Aero on Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Aero
Aero
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Empty Re: Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:22 pm

Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Empty Re: Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel

Post  Admin Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:33 pm

Almost looks like the Blitz .05 (although it looks a little small for a .05)

A Zinger 6x4 would look good on it, or one of those old crystal clear Grish props (if you can find one). You could strip the Zinger and refinish it a little darker, that would look good.

You can find smaller wood props, I don't think anyone is making them anymore so you'd have to find an old one.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:37 pm

Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:40 pm

PM sent.
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:52 pm

What a beautiful little engine! I only know of wood props being made for .049+ size engines.. but for display purposes.. seeing that it has 3mm bosses(?) on the drive-plate and spinner, it might look nice if you try cutting one down to around a 3" diameter. Finish the tips however you want. Balance it for good measure.. although he may never run it.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:15 pm

These 6"d. 3"p wood props are Rev Up "series 25" and J Zinger products. Their hubs are sized for the popular 1/8" (3.2mm) 5-40 prop-screw, common to the Cox .049/.051 engine. The light-toned wood prop is the Zinger.. and still available.

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel 6_x_3_10
Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel 6_x_3_11
Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel 6_x_3_12

The darker-toned "Rev-Up" prop is not as "balky" around the hub.. which would look nicer IMHO if cut down to 3-3 1/2" diameter.

Ian would know the prop size for running the engine. (pokes Ian) and it would be good to include a "runner" prop with the Christmas gift. That's a tiny engine.. looks to be sub .010. A (current-plastic) Tee Dee .010 prop is 3"d. x 1.25"p but I believe it would need it's hub drilled-out to fit the Valentine engine's 3mm drive-plate/spinner bosses.

I'd love to be involved with a gift like this!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:15 pm

ian1954 wrote:
Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Tiny10

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t4272-ronald-valentine-nano-bee#57591

By looking at Ian's picture, the engines are sitting on a British penny, which is just a little larger than a US penny. (British penny is about .8 in in diameter).

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:46 am

There are many small aircraft designs that would show-off the engine, if you want to take the presentation to the next level. Maybe build a diorama with the engine mounted in a forward-facing nacelle..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:02 am

How about something like a scaled-down torquette (permanently) mounted on a stand?

http://www.kotrc.org/events/torquette.pdf
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aero Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:27 am

Thanks for all the info!
The engine is a Blitz 0.05 Mk II. It is marked "12" on the backplate.
http://www.ronald-valentine-engines.com/23_Blitz_0.html

A wood prop is what I was thinking about. I had not thought of the Grish clear and a member has graciously offered a Grish clear.
I think I would put the Grish on it for the display and locate a small wood prop to go in the display with it.
I have a box full of small Perfect fuel tanks and one of the tiny ones will go in with it, too.

Aero
Aero
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aero Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:47 am

Tiny Blitz with 5" props......
Testors logo is as big as the engine!

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel <a href=Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Blitzw11

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel <a href=Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Blitzw12" />

Last edited by Aero on Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Pic added)
Aero
Aero
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:19 pm

Okay... so it must be .05 CC , not .05 C.I. So, wow, maybe a .010 prop (that may even be too big)?

I'd contact Valentine and ask him what size prop he suggests. I don't know where you can get smaller props, I know they make them for electric and miniature CO2 but I don't know how safe those would be at the speeds this engine spins at.
speed-demon-diesel@hotmail.com

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Aero Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:47 pm

OK
Had some time for some progress.
Picked up an 010 prop at a swap meet and it looks pretty good.
Had to drill it to fit the flange on the spinner.
That is a Perfect #15 1/8 oz tank and Ø-80 screw with nut in the pic with the engine.  Shocked
Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Blitz_12

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Blitz_13

Started on the display. I cut some plexiglass and went to work on it. I cut, drilled, and then bent.

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Blitz_10

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Blitz_14

This will all fit in a 3" pocket watch dome. I hope....
Aero
Aero
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:10 pm

Roddie pointed me to this posting as I have a couple or three Valentine Blitz engines.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t6729-the-valentine-blitz

So - here is my only contribution apart from answering emails and messages for the past few/several/many months.

For display purposes there are smaller propellers from the dark side. These look quite good on the tiny Valentine diesels.

You have to search but I came across this site after it was recommended to me by Jon Porter after the demise of Microaces.

http://www.overskyrc.com/props-c-10.html

Not that I would ever dream of flying with the dark side  Cool . They will run with these props but some of the plastics are brittle and while OK with electrickery - will break on these little diesels. So it is difficult to recommend one other than for display.

For running one of these - I have used a 3" prop and for flying a 21/2" prop worked well.

Be very careful mounting this black version - I can see that it has already been mounted as the mounting holes are lacking the black finish. Use nylon or equivalent washers to protect the surfaces of the lugs. All mounting holes on these engines are a metric size and its is difficult to match this finish.

The original size of the holes on the Blitz would have been for M1.5 screws and these are tiny to work with. I like the stand you have made - the clear stands show off more of the engine.

I only make simple stands that aren't suitable for propellers. This is a stand using M2 threaded screws - nylon and brass washers.

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Engine10

This engine is ten times the size of the Blitz

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Engine11

For tiny engines I use coins, up to four stalks and vary the diameter of the stand. I do though tend not to use propellers for display as it makes them a little too tall.

I can see though that you are setting this one up to be or look like a runner. If you want to connect fuel tubing then there will be a mismatch between the tank and the engine. It may take a few attempts but I dip the tubing in hot water and stretch it. Eventually I get it right and a nice fit on both ends (but never first time!)

We have often had topics on displaying engines and I find them all interesting.

I look forward to seeing the finished stand.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Aero Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:35 am

OK, here it is!

Got everything mounted up and touched up.
Some different angles/views.

Its been kind of a thing with me and raised letters since I was a kid, so I couldn't pass this up. I touched a fine tip Sharpie to the raised letters on the prop. Makes the display look better to me.

The brass tag is the ID system my boss uses on his engines. He has "a few".  

Almost didn't put the tank in there, it looks so big compared to the engine.

A little paint and poly on the base for some contrast, too.

What do you guys think?

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Blitz_15

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Blitz_16

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Blitz_17
Aero
Aero
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:22 pm

I think its Gorgeous !! Although the tank does look a bit large I don't know were you could get a smaller one with out making it your self ? I did a search and nothing but a pic and a heavy price of a 1/6 Oz. http://brodak.com/wedge-fuel-tank-1-6-oz.html You did a very good job and the owner should bee proud . getback bounce
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:38 pm

I think that is a splendid display piece and a nice way of presenting an engine.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:22 pm

Very nice! That may be a #15 Perfect brand tank. It's the smallest I have.. and is 1/8oz. capacity.

Here's the measurements..

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Perfec10
Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Perfec11

If you still have time.. Eyebrows you could cut a short sheet-brass tab-mount and solder it to the tank. Attach it behind the engine with another screw.. and add a fuel line. Is there clearance with the dome in place, for that? I think it would look cool.. and the tank wouldn't roll around when the display is moved. (just my Two Cents )

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Aero Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:23 am

Thanks for the positive comments, guys!

Yes, the tank is a Perfect #15. It is held in place with adhesive.
It is just placed on the bottom of the display for effect.

Its a bit funny to me that one of the smallest tanks available is as big as the entire engine.

Aero
Aero
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  coxaddict Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:00 pm

If just for display there are a lot of plastic props out there that are used on some smaller drones that would be more proportioned to match the size of the engine.
I like that display dome. I may have seen something similar at a Craft store.
coxaddict
coxaddict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:39 pm

Beautiful job Allen. Finished project might even bring a tear or two.
Well done.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:42 pm

I quite like the way the propeller and the tank emphasise how small the engine is. The clear stand shows off the engine very well.

Small propellers aren't easy to come by - the one in the picture below is a 3x1, this would match a 0.1cc diesel - twice the capacity of the Blitz 0.05.

Smaller tanks aren't usually very pretty either - the smallest I have is the ACME FS-B special. I don't know of any metal tank that is smaller.

Looking for a prop for Blitz .05cc diesel Blitz_11

That is a nice way of displaying an engine using the dome - another idea that I am going to steal! ( I borrowed Roddie and Allen's ruler idea!)
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:10 pm

Looks great Allen! Thumbs Up

Admin
Admin
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Aero Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:14 pm

Thanks a lot, guys!
Frank was very happy with it!

ian1954,
What prop is that in your pic? Where did you find it?
Aero
Aero
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next