Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Too bad development didn't continue... Cox_ba12

Too bad development didn't continue... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Today at 12:18 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 11:14 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Today at 10:22 am

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by fit90 Today at 7:34 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by getback Today at 6:19 am

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 7:50 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:08 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Yesterday at 2:54 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 pm

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Too bad development didn't continue... Empty
Live on Patrol

Too bad development didn't continue...

Go down

Too bad development didn't continue... Empty Too bad development didn't continue...

Post  batjac Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:07 pm

I was looking for info on the Sterling Mini-Fledgling over on RCG, and found the thread announcing CEF back in 2011.  I never saw that thread, and would assume many here have not either.  The interesting thing from that thread is the description of a Cox concept project about an in-line engine.  I've never seen this, and thought anyone who's never seen these drawings might be interested.

Too bad development didn't continue... A4227754-132-img013%2009-02-38
Too bad development didn't continue... A4227756-33-img013%2009-11-01
Too bad development didn't continue... A4227758-220-img015

The Zombie Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Too bad development didn't continue... Empty Re: Too bad development didn't continue...

Post  ARUP Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:38 pm

Very interesting!
ARUP
ARUP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Too bad development didn't continue... Empty Re: Too bad development didn't continue...

Post  RknRusty Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:03 am

It is interesting. I'm pretty sure that thread got me here, as that was my only hobby hangout at that time.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:00 am

Well I see a few problems.... electric pre heat of glow element? I do not see the path for exhaust out of the engine
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:18 am

That's pretty wild the construction is based on todays rotor valve pressure washers , I didn't read it all I will have to check it later my necks killing me this morning Mad getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ARUP Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:19 am

Fred, there is some porting at base of the piston slugs' cylinders to act as intakes and exhaust. The big cylinder container all the slugs rotates around to get to the needed ports. The drawing shows a couple of circles that are exhaust ports(?) The side view dimensional drawing shows the other stuff. I still don't quite get the glow plug portion, though.

Hope your neck gets better! I had to really lean forward to look at these drawings for this engine.
ARUP
ARUP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:36 am

fredvon4 wrote:Well I see a few problems.... electric pre heat of glow element?  I do not see the path for exhaust out of the engine

I see what you mean Fred. Wouldn't you think that those two elements would have been included with taking the design that far? Compression-ignition would be interesting.. but still; there's no place for an exhaust port without causing temperature/lubrication problems. It would somehow need to involve the crank.. which is generally well out of the way of combustion heat.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:28 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UBAukXPD-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZmd7k33JWE

Looks like these using a cam. Notice the exhaust is in the same position, the rotation opens and closes the ports. The article states it is a 4-stroke engine.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:04 am

OK I can see how the side view does not show the exhaust port opening that looks to be in the other view of the rotating rear intake piece

I believe there is also a compression ratio where you don't need to pre heat the glow wire for the catalytic induced combustion but it needs to be a very durable element as changing that part as often as we do a cox glow head would be a pain

It would be cool if one of those very talented engine builders would further develop and test this design...I too have seen other inline piston designs that seem to work
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:11 am

cooling?
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:20 am

Duke engine based on a similar principle but with revolving pistons, non rotating head with spark plugs and water cooling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c19kn3drdFU
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ARUP Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:22 am

Yeah... the cooling looks a bit feeble. The fins would be better 90 degrees the other way, i.e., oriented along the length of engine.
ARUP
ARUP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:52 am

I did a few "gamers" computer builds back a few years ago, and got real interested in CPU cooling up to and including cryogenics

Part of what I learned had to do with the coefficient of different metals, thermal dissipation, air flow, and a few other things like thermal conductive pastes/glues etc...

Fins are a simple way to increase surface area, and yes airflow over or through them is a consideration; but also machining ease/costs is also...if you look at the screw machine cost schedule, you can see they (as was typical for COX mfg) were trying to bring it in at a very low cost to produce. Radial fins are easy...longitudinal fins would require a lot more effort and not all that much gain in thermal release

I think the engineering is sound the more I look at this and suspect the real reason we did not see this design was timing...Cox was loosing market share about then as was Fox and in the mid 70s we were seeing the EPA and OSHA having a big impact on USA manufacturers (impact to this project...nil... impact to Cox as a whole....huge!)

Last edited by fredvon4 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelting errores)
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down