Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Evolution 40 & 46 NT Cox_ba12

Evolution 40 & 46 NT Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Evolution 40 & 46 NT Empty
Live on Patrol

Evolution 40 & 46 NT

Go down

Evolution 40 & 46 NT Empty Evolution 40 & 46 NT

Post  ian1954 Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:12 pm

These engines have been the subject of great debate and comments have ranged from rubbish to fantastic. I got these at a bargain price from a hobby shop having trouble shifting them because they have been replaced by the NX.

I have only run one (not one of these) - it was given to me to fettle as my pal had put it on his fun flyer and it kept cutting out at inopportune moments.

I had difficult starting it and it was full of black gunge. I eventually got it started with the aid of my electric starter but couldn't get it settled. The fuel he gave me was 15% nitro and 20% castor oil.

I had some 10% nitro, 18% synthetic and started it up with this. Two 4 ounce tanks later and I could restart it first flick but couldn't achieve a nice tick over or steady throttle response. I changed the plug several times - he had an OS 8 in it. No difference.

I referred to the manual (something I rarely do!) and it stated that the engine was designed to run on a EVOGP1  plug so I ordered a couple (took some finding!). That was a transformation.

Easy starting, steady tick over and good throttle response.

So - my findings - not an engine for us castor fanatics and needs a particular plug type.

Evolution 40 & 46 NT Evolut10

I also have to say that the castings on these engines are superb and very crisp and I only bought them to annoy my pal. I paid half of what he paid for a 46 for both engines!

I
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Evolution 40 & 46 NT Empty Re: Evolution 40 & 46 NT

Post  Marleysky Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Yes, those engines are very atheistically pleasing to the eye. They look fast just sitting there! It is amazing sometimes when you actually read the instructions and the follow the manufactures instructions, you get very satisfactory results. I bought a automobile with a noticeable miss, rough running, poor gas mileage. The previous owners mechanic said it need a head gasket, so he sold it cheap. I checked the compression on all four cylinders they were fine. I replaced the coil packs, the plug wires, new spark plugs, nothing helped. Found a on line forum where a gent recommended that "there is one and only one spark plug that will work in that engine. Factory recommended model NkG something ( don't recall the exact number). So, I removed the "best" platinum plugs, installed the normal factory recommended plugs and it purred like a kitten, ran strong and smooth. I really enjoyed waving at him as I drove past in his almost dead car!
lol!
Moral of the story: read and follow the manufactures instructions!!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:24 pm

Ian, the Evo .60 is essentially a .60 sleeve in the .46 case. I dislike Chinese products but this one is over the top. Very high quality and craftmanship. I own the Evo .36 and .60. Out of the box, on the plane and flown. No break in required and that's no lie. Economical on fuel and more power than what I need. I detune the engines to run how I want them to run. That's what I like when there's power to spare. The control versions I own have been phenomenal with the exception of the needle valves. I totally dislike rear mounted needle valves, they leak and they make placing them in a full body planes a pain in the rear. In addition, there's somewhat of a delay in tuning them not to mention it wants to siphon back on startup requiring the need for you open your needle valve usually on the setting where you had it almost perfect. These engines run on very little oil in the fuel. I can run Cool Power aka Cruel Power and it loves this stuff. Parts support is ok sometimes hit or miss but they're very inexpensive and this should be a major plus to the frugal crowd. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:54 am

I have quite a few of Evo engines ... both C/L and R/C.

Ken touched on it ..... those NVA's are problematic. I always remove and replace them.

They don't like high oil content either ....
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:42 am

After burning myself out buying model engines (over two hundred in a nine month period) I quit. But were I to start again one of those Evo's would be first on my list, that's what a nice design does for me.

But, and for those that don't care for controversy, please don't read further. Made in China? I don't think so, although their products invade every aspect of out culture. Walmart should be renamed Chinamart.

This morning I read in Smithsonian magazine that they are paying poachers in British Columbia to kill bears for their livers, in Africa they poach elephants for their tusks, and they get a free pass on environmental issues that most of the world has to abide by. In my purchases I'm starting to read labels.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:22 pm

Well I can say I like the look of the engine having no experience with it or no need to buy one because I have Enya And OS with a few Cox lying about . I do thing Bob needs to buy some more wood though lol I agree with what you say about the animals but lets don't go there >> from what I have heard Larry's running sounded strong and he flys some good fun ! I like the rear valve adjust and good to hear some opinion's about it . getback Babe Bee .049
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:30 am

I like the appearance of the engine it was the ARF plane manufacturer recommendation in 2 of my larger 40 size planes but I put OS Max engines in them instead and am happy to learn now it was a good decision instead of  China's Really Attractive Product  (c.r.a.p)
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:55 am

balogh wrote:I like the appearance of the engine it was the ARF plane manufacturer recommendation in 2 of my larger 40 size planes but I put OS Max engines in them instead and am happy to learn now it was a good decision instead of  China's Really Attractive Product  (c.r.a.p)

No doubt OS makes a good engine, but IMHO the Evo is just as good.  A couple of minor changes and the Evo is a great engine.  My 38Special is going on 7 years old, and has the same engine in it as the day of it's maiden, an Evo36.  I won't change it .... great flier .... and this past fall, I won Beginner Stunt with it, out of a field of 7 fliers.

I had an Evo36 in my P-40 (46-size plane) and it did extremely well .... just a tad weak on overhead manuevers... but pretty good power to pull that size airplane around.  I was happy with it until I came across an OS 35FP.

My P-51 RC ARF converted to Fun Scale Control Line has a Evo46 .... its about as consistent an engine as any I've owned.

A couple of vids for your enjoyment .... Smile

larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down