Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early Cox_ba12

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by GTO455 Today at 8:11 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by rsv1cox Today at 7:41 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 7:29 am

» **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (May 2024)
by akjgardner Today at 6:10 am

» Help Pee Wee tank cap .020
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:11 pm

» Post your Older books
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:51 pm

» EXTREMELY RARE COX THIMBLE DROME PROTOTYPE "BLACK WIDOW" GAS MODEL AIRPLANE
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» I brake for Turtles....
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 6:38 pm

» Ball - Socket Joints
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:06 pm

» A little nostalgia…
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» A new useful transport vehicle
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:32 am

» TAPLIN TWIN 7ccm
by grant.symes Yesterday at 3:29 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early Empty
Live on Patrol

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early

Go down

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early Empty Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:32 pm

Over labor day too. Shipped from Missouri to West Virginia. In the recent past this often took weeks, this in just days, over Labor Day too and according to the tracking number, a day early. Amazing.

Very nice, clean and lubricated with exceptional compression pop. Cylinder liner is apparent.

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011564
Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011565

To pretty to run...............maybe not.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early Empty Re: Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early

Post  Ken Cook Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:53 pm

Bob, I can't speak for the EVO .40 but I own two .36's and two 60 control line engines by EVO and they're wonderful. No parts available for the control line versions but it is what it is. When it breaks, it's game over. My one .60 had a bout with terra firma early on and broke the crankshaft. Managed to beg Horizon for a shaft and they pulled through and it's still going strong. I see Horizon offers a piston liner for your .40 for $21.00. Amazing low cost and quality.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early Empty Re: Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early

Post  rsv1cox Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:51 am

Thanks Ken, I was afraid that this beautifully rendered piece of Chinese architecture wouldn't get any love.   Obviously, a cut above the ordinary model airplane engine that the Western world creates.  It's so special that I refuse to put it in my display case for fear that Mao might start a revolution and convert all my other engines to communism.  Instead, I have relegated it to a position where it shares space with unlike species that are less prone to that influence.

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011574

Kidding aside, it does have some unique features.  The needle has a pin on it and a sleeve that you can set to limit/set the needles rotation, and the intakes barrel rotates north/south and well as east/west providing a varying aperture and it would seem more throttle variation.  Not especially unique to this engine as I have seen it before but it's not exactly the norm.  And the avant guard styling visually gives it a one up.  Chrome may not get you home, but it sure looks good.  

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011575
Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011576

It dwarfs my Enya .35 (to lazy to get out a .40) and my Enya 60.  It's a big lump of Chinese alloy that so far I can find no fault with, other than that commie thing.  Smile

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011580
Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011579
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:09 pm

I have played a bit with some of the r/c carbs and while they look great, I see the typical air leaks. My control line versions were real crap but I change them anyway. I've written many e-mails to Horizon and also OS in regards to this . No response whatsoever. It really is somewhat disappointing to not even receive a acknowledgment. Pete Bergstrom who has since passed on was responsible for bringing the EVO control line engines and the PT-19 ARF into fruition. The stunt community never accepted the control line version initially. Mainly because most don't read and feel that their years of experience supersede simple instructions.  Pete had asked for some feedback and I gave him 4 pages of what I thought would improve the engine in terms of venturi, needle, and how to resolve without major changes. It was said that these changes were going to take place. Well, they did. Horizon  discontinued the engine and no parts support. When I asked about parts early on, Horizon said in the e-mail that they would provide parts for 2 years after discontinuation. Well, they didn't live up to that in it's entirety. You can get a head gasket, backplate gasket and some screws but no major parts, theoretically I guess I wasn't lied to.

The Fox .35 crankcase looks like it was made in a school yard sandbox. The slag and sand also came free with the purchase.  The EVO crankcases are truly remarkable in terms of quality. The Fox .35 cases at the time of their demise was $37. The EVO .36 was $13.60. It's no wonder Fox used the excuse that they couldn't be competitive with the Asian market. Thank goodness for sweatshops and product dumping.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:33 pm

Still not getting much love Ken, but I'm going to keep hammering away.

Second Evolution arrived today, also a day early.  The PO has turned over a new leaf.  I have no idea as to it's displacement, it's not marked other than the strange looking "a" now in three places.  It's also cast onto the boss where 40 is located on the first one.  I think it's a .40 bored out to a .60 as the needle valve setup is different.

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011582

But, it came not without problems.  The needle is bent and the nipple is broken off in the assembly.  Wasn't that way in the sellers ad.  The box it came in was bashed but how do you break off the nipple.   The intakes barrel is seized but the crankshaft rotates.  

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early Evo_w_10

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011583
Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011584

Overnight in penetrating oil, tomorrow we will see what we have.

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011585

Looks like this thing came out of the Hangar 9 trainer. I guess that it is a .40. Horizon's website does show some parts, but nothing that I need, although a OS needle may work. I will know more tomorrow when i take it apart.

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early Hangar10
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:14 am

I got deeper into it this morning.

My smallest easy-out made short work of the broken NVA nipple.  I think I can use the pressure nipple on the muffler as a replacement.

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011586

The bent needle had me worried.  Thought the best way to straighten it without breakage was to screw it back into the assembly up to the point of the bend, vice it up and slowly bend it back.  Worked.  The ratching split collar was bent too, spring steel it did not come off easy.  Whole thing required a lot of heat to loosen up.  

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011588
Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011589
Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011587

Also took heat and RemOil to free the intakes barrel and the piston/crank.  Cylinder liner is steel on this one not bronze as on the other.  

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011590
Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011591

Now to get it back together and see if it runs.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:46 pm

Nice engines there Bob. There has always been something drawing me to an Evolution engine as I really think the 'look' is cool. But I too have heard both very good to very bad about them as Ken had mentioned above. But I still have yet to bag me one of them. Probably a .40 would be the one I would look for as it would go into a trainer.

As for your second one, yes, it came as a part of a package deal, and if you do some searching, I believe there is talk about removing the 'flywheel' on those particular engines, should you choose to run it or do so.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:26 pm

I picked a few up over the last few years. I pressed the flywheels off and it seems like about 300 rpm better. That is on the Alpha type. I think it is a .46 if I remember measuring it right. The one that I checked revved much higher on a 10-6" than any other .40 and .46 that I have. I removed the mixture stop too. Had a .60 Evo with a broken wrist pin which ruined the piston cyl. I guess the design of the Evos is better than the materials used. Good bang for the buck overall I suppose.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:43 am

Yes, that flywheel is curious.  I see it too on the Horizon trainer pictured above.  Both of mine have them, but there are others that don't.  I have a bid on this one, an ebay sale.

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early S-l16014

I have the broken engine about back together.  I used the pressure tap offf the muffler to replace the broken fuel line nipple, but can't find a replacement from among my leftover mufflers to replace it.  All taps, mostly Enya's are to large and I can't find a replacement on Horizon's website.  An OS tap might work.

A stiff brush and RemOil removed most of the surface corrosion improving it's appearance.  

This thing must have taken quite a whack, in addition to breaking off the fuel line nipple and bending the needle, it also bent the mounting bracket to the point where I had to bend it back to get the fuel line on.  A 1/2" boxed end carefuly applied helped without snapping it off.

Has the Post Office turned over a new leaf, or the Evolution 40 arrives......early P1011595

It's ready to run, but I would like to use muffler pressure.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down